3M Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 11, 2014
208 interviews

2.7

Marketing Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 3M.

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

R&D Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

3m Frontline Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Server Administrator Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in April 2012.

First interview by phone ( I am with a temp agency) with the hiring manager. The second interview was two weeks later with the team members I would be working with. They questioned me about our field of technology, process and documentation ability\willingness. They informed me I received the job because of my personality rather than my technology experience. ( They said some other candidates freaked them out).

Interview Questions
    • Questions about corporate culture. Basically scenario's about how one deals with other co-workers or adversarial customers.   Answer Question
    N/A - Was locked into wage negotiated by contracting company that hired me.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Engineer, O2 Program Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview was pretty standard. Behavioral questions, where do you see yourself in the future, etc. The interviewer was a pretty standard engineer-type person with a Ph.D. and focused a lot on the fact that people build life-long careers at the company (i.e. many stay for 30+ years there). He also focused a lot on describing the company culture.

Interview Questions
    • You really should pursue grad school - why aren't you?   View Answer

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2014.

I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

There was no negotiation

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in July 2012.

Advertisement in major newspaper in Kenya, shortlisting by HR Manager in charge of Sub-Sahara based in 3M South Africa - thus assures unbiased shortlisting based on job fit, Panel Interview with 2 senior managers based in Kenya - 1 a local and the other an expatriate with experience in other places of the world, then background check by HR as well as an intergrity assesment on the potential employee

Interview Questions
    • How do you sell a premium product that is more expensive than other products found in the market?   Answer Question
    Very discouraging - was initially offered a salary that was less than what I earned. I rejected the offer and asked what I felt I deserved. The HR Manager then made a counter offer which I accepted.

Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!