3M

Updated 21 Jan 2015
Updated 21 Jan 2015

2.7

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at 3M.

I applied online. After a few days, I received a phone call, in which I was asked about my expectations and my German language skills. At the end of the conversation, I was invited to an interview and told to prepare for a case study in market research. The interview had 2 parts: the normal interview part in which I was asked about what my motivation (especially with the particular division I applied for) and what I had learned from each job I had had. Then, the case study followed. I was given 20 mins to work on in alone. I had to describe my process going about doing market research for the introduction of a new product. It was also had a math part to be done in Excel. Nothing very difficult. Then the hiring manager came back and I had to present my "results", which was a list of steps and their explanation.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What did you learn from each job you have held in the past?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Very selective process for the Business Development Consultant position. There was a 40 minute case interview. Maybe just 5 minutes dedicated for a walk me through your resume question. The interviewer was very cold and not personable.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

It consists in 2 parts: Online test + Group Interview
    Online test was not difficult. There were about 7 people at the group interview. Had to answer questions, solve a case talk in English. It was also very clarifying about the positions offered.

Marketing Interview

Phone interview with an HR person then in person interview. I did not get offered a position, but the people who I interacted with were very nice and professional! They were my very first interviews ever and they helped make me feel more comfortable (as comfortable as possible for your very first interviews that is).

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a project or experience you have had in school that interests you and relates to this position?   Answer Question

Operations Optimization Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

One-day interview at the plant location. Multiple candidates were interviewed in a day, 3 on my day. We met the hiring manager at the hotel, who led us to the plant and there was a 3-legged interview process: behavioral interview, peer interview, and a plant tour. Then, we toured the small town where the plant is and had lunch. Then we were free to leave for the day.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you saw on your plant tour that you think could be improved?   Answer Question

The town was too small for me.

Senior Electronic Materials Engineer Position Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

I had the interview on campus. 3M organized an info session the night before the interview day. During the interview, the recruiter asked me to introduce myself and to talk about the projects that I have done in the past. The interview itself is a good experience, however, I haven't got any feedback from them after more than two month.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mainly on the projects that I have done.   Answer Question

(Graduate Degree) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

I initially had talked with 3M at my college career fair where I spoke directly to a member that suited my specific degree requirements. The process took less than 2 month for an initial meet (career fair), 2 interviews and 1 phone interview. Most questions were geared towards what I would like to do and selling my self on what I can do. I would like to note that the interviewer also liked how I had broad experience where all my skills set would work well with the company's focus and research areas. The interviewer said that sometimes as graduates student, we have experience that pigeon holes up to one specific area but a good background of experience that is broad but related is great.

Interviews were very relaxed, just like any other interview. They just asked me about my resume, what I learned, have I ever dealt with difficult people, and how I responded in different working environments.

Interview Questions
    • What would I give as advice to younger engineers (specifically girls) to get them more involved in engineering (related to my volunteer work)?

What did I learn in the process of completing my Master's that I could take with me as I work for a company and a research team?

Answer Question

Sales Interview

Casual 3 interviews where you would go from person to person with 3 different people within the division you want to go in. You go in and have a tour as well of the amazing facilities and really enjoy iy

Interview Questions

Did not want to relocate

Senior Research Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

They asked many technical questions and asked me to present my research for about 25 min. Then they asked regular behavior questions such like collaboration and leader ship experiences. After the interview, if they are interested in you, they will make a follow up phone interview with you and enter you into their "rapid recruiting" process, which is an on-site interview lasting a few days.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

on campus interview. My interviewer is a phd. He is very gentlemen. He talked a little bit about the culture and experience of 3M. His question is mainly basic behavior questions, like what's your career goal? What's your biggest accomplishment? Went through the resume, and asked details about my intern and projects.