3M Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.7

Tech Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 3M in February 2014.

I applied online at there website for the tech aide position several times before I got a call for an interview. On the day of the interview, I was interviewed by 2 managers. They were very friendly and I was at ease. I could tell it was a good company from the questions they asked to all the details they filled me in on the position. I got an offer within a week which I accepted. I went through a background and drug test which took 3-4 weeks to get done

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal best with a difficult situation?   View Answer

Marketing Senior Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moscow (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Comparing to other companies relatively easy interview. Just described former projects and duties, some plans for further development. The atmospere is friendly, not nervous. Easy to get to the office in time.
    BTW the IQ test is not convenient to pass - the same time gape for all kinds of questions. The most difficult part of the inerview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you start with in case we launch a new product in *Department*?   Answer Question
    I was proposed a higher position than considered at first. Pretty flexible company regarding working conditions.

Supply Chain Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in July 2014.

Applied via their online web-based Career section. Received e-mail confirmation of my application acceptance. The online system allows you access to where you stand in the application process as long as someone is properly monitoring on the company side. Was directly contacted by the hiring manager in a very short period of time, reviewed the opportunity and my qualifications, and was advised that they would get back with me (including coordinating an on campus in person interview) when they returned from an international trip-a week later. To date I have not heard a thing even after reaching out to them leaving a voice mail message reiterating my sincere interest and providing my contact info. The website info on my candidacy has not been updated either.

Interview Questions
    • Can you start within the month with an international assignment?   Answer Question

BDM Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at 3M in February 2010.

This was a three stage interview process. Meeting the various chains of leadership and then HR. Fisrt met the regional product manager, then his line manager and finally the global sales leader.

Interview Questions
    • I cleared the technical interview. However the HR's proposed compensation was not enticing enough. The argument put forth was that 3M is recognized brand and that I should settle for less. I had a better option so things didn't work out. But no hard feelings.   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in April 2014.

3 parts to the interview: 1. Came in and asked me a question about why a 4 bedroom apartment cost less than a 3 bedroom apartment with the same SF in both. 2. Gave me a series of math questions, all of which could be done in your head, just how quickly you could rifle them off, was the goal. 3. Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 3M.

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

R&D Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

3m Frontline Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!