3M Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

2.7

Integrated Marketing Development (IMD) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application (resume and cover letter) online through the NBMBA conference website. I received a phone call within 24 hours of submisison for a phone interview. DO NOT MISS THIS CALL. They are quick with response and this is your chance to tell them what you know aobut the company and why you're interested as well as your experience and how you are equiped for the position. I Interviewed with a previous intern at the National Black MBA conference.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an innovative brand.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

3m Frontline Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Interview

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions

• None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Marketing Senior Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M (Moscow (Russia)) in August 2014.

Interview

Comparing to other companies relatively easy interview. Just described former projects and duties, some plans for further development. The atmospere is friendly, not nervous. Easy to get to the office in time.
    BTW the IQ test is not convenient to pass - the same time gape for all kinds of questions. The most difficult part of the inerview.

Interview Questions

• What would you start with in case we launch a new product in *Department*?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was proposed a higher position than considered at first. Pretty flexible company regarding working conditions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Questions

• Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at 3M in July 2014.

Interview

Applied via their online web-based Career section. Received e-mail confirmation of my application acceptance. The online system allows you access to where you stand in the application process as long as someone is properly monitoring on the company side. Was directly contacted by the hiring manager in a very short period of time, reviewed the opportunity and my qualifications, and was advised that they would get back with me (including coordinating an on campus in person interview) when they returned from an international trip-a week later. To date I have not heard a thing even after reaching out to them leaving a voice mail message reiterating my sincere interest and providing my contact info. The website info on my candidacy has not been updated either.

Interview Questions

• Can you start within the month with an international assignment?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN (US)).

Interview

Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation