3M Interview Questions

Updated 19 Sep 2014
Updated 19 Sep 2014

2.7

O2 Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

One fly-out interview broken into three segments, two behavioral interviews and one tour. Very straight forward and traditional. 90% "Tell us about a time..." questions. One major idea that we kept on touching on was time management and tools for productivity. Most everyone was very "engineering-esque" if that makes sense. All were welcoming and amicable. Can't complain.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you made the wrong choice, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question
    Was told by multiple others that 3M does not negotiate on entry-level positions so I didn't try.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview and hiring process was as basic and informal as can be.
    Research Chemist looked over my resume, and asked several questions regarding my schedule/availability, and knowledge about basic scientific processes.

There wasn't one.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

R&D Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

I applied online. Interview was pretty informal. I was just introduced to all the members of the lab, and was given a tour of the lab and all the equipment. Probably took a half hour or so total. They just asked very basic questions like the classes you are taking etc.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

campus interview
    The job opening is found on the website and the interviewer suggested to apply any possible positions related to my background.
    The interview is around 45 mins. I filled all the time describing my research projects and the interview didn't ask any single individual behavior questions. This type of questions were included when we talked about the research.

Interview Questions
    • based on my research, what would you expect to do more?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

I have only been involved in a single round of interviews for 3M and am still waiting to hear back. The interview was very low-key, asking basic questions such about my work experience as well as my technical capabilities, leadership experience, and interpersonal skills. After the interview was completed, I was told to apply for more specific jobs on the 3M website.

O2 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

I was contacted through on-campus recruiting and then I emailed my application (cover letter and resume). immediately I set up a phone interview and then one week later scheduled an on-campus interview. 3M had a travel agent contact me and take care of all of the arrangments. I interviewed with seven other candidates and did group questions and individual interviews (3 rounds for about 30 minutes each). It was a pretty easy morning and not too many difficult questions. The plant tour was a bit dull.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see youself in 5 years, walk me through your resume, etc.   Answer Question

Ultimately it was not what I was looking for in a career.

Engineer, O2 Program Interview

Interview was pretty standard. Behavioral questions, where do you see yourself in the future, etc. The interviewer was a pretty standard engineer-type person with a Ph.D. and focused a lot on the fact that people build life-long careers at the company (i.e. many stay for 30+ years there). He also focused a lot on describing the company culture.

Interview Questions
    • You really should pursue grad school - why aren't you?   View Answer