ALDI

Getting the Interview

324 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Assistant/Deputy Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details Was called about my application about 3 months after I applied for an impromptu phone interview. Was then invited for a group interview. Area Manager walked our group around a store asking us questions about what we knew of Aldi. I was the only one who seemed to have done their homework and could answer her questions. Later in the one on one interview she seemed to want to gauge my willingness to do physically hard work and my ability to provide good customer service.

Interview Question – All fairly standard questions, describe a time when you went 'above and beyond' to provide great customer service. Tell me about a time when things didn't go to plan and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at ALDI in May 2009.

Interview Details Aldi's recruitment process for the management trainees are handled through Hudsons.

I had an initial screening interview over the phone with a Hudson junior recruiter - very easy questions, just basic interview stuff. Only took about 10 minutes.

I was then invited for a 1 hour interview with a more senior Hudsons recruiter - the questions here are focused on your leadership qualities: how would you train people, solve problems, deal with angry customers, etc.

I was then successful and went onto the assessment centre round. This is essentially the final round and we had a group activity plus interview with a senior ALDI manager. It went the whole day. In the group activity we were given a hypothetical plane crash scenario and had to prioritise a list of items we would take with us.

I bombed out I guess because I didn't get the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about your leadership roles   View Answer

Atherstone, England (UK)

I applied through other source - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Interview Details Went to group interview. 1 person to assess 16 people. 1 x group exercise then timed maths questions. Not really given opportunity to show skills etc. Seemed rushed as another group waiting

Interview Question – No correct answer to group exercise - just to assess your interacting / leadership skills. I thought I had done quite well as listened to others but also influenced some peoples decisions and get them to agree to change their answers.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ALDI in October 2011.

Interview Details Planning and communication was great. had several rounds of interviews, first round was meet and greet, second round was formal questions, and the third round was an onsite interview and they sent a limo. the interviewers were looking for motivated and assertive employees. this job was then a stepping stone to get people trained for regional manager role

Interview Question – How would you fire someone, and can you do that?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The working hours were awful.

District Manager Interview

Interviewed at ALDI

Interview Details It was 2 week quick process. Round interview with all the directors and follow up with third interview. Than the final offer.

Interview Question – If you were a animal What would you be and why?   Answer Question

Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Question – Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   View Answer

District Manager Trainee Interview

Frederick, MD (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details First required to attend an info session and then go through two rounds of interviews. First round lasted about 20 mins, some general questions about your interest in the company and position..etc. Second round, on-site interviews with different directors more in-depth then the first. Also gave a tour of an Aldi warehouse and store. Overall, very fast interview process and not really many unexpected questions. Everyone is pretty friendly and open to answering any questions you may have.

Interview Question – Describe a famous person you look up to and why do you admire them?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details The process starts with an online application which asks You in detail about Your education, work experience and generally about Yourself. It does say that if You haven't been contacted within 2 weeks, You have been unsuccessful however they came back to me after 6 weeks so be patient. I was invited for a group interview. At the interview there were 20+ people, everyone from different backgrounds and experiences. After brief introductions there was a maths test questions consisted of the like of 8 x 1/4 or 1897.43+1237.34. No calculators allowed ofc.
Than we had to do a couple short presentations followed by a survival group exercise. Than there was a q&a session with the recruiters and that's it.

Interview Question – Maths test   View Answer

District Manager Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details There are two different interviews in this process. First an on-campus dinner and interview and second, an office visit. The on-campus interview is pretty normal in that the ask basic behavioral based questions to find out if you are a fit for the company. On the second interview, you visit a regional office, a warehouse, a store, go to lunch, and have two interviews with different upper management.

Interview Question – You are a Marketing major, how could you do this management position?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Lake Grove, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details The manager posted that he would be there to look at applications for a couple of hours and would be interviewing on the spot. I went, filled out an application, waited for the manager to come out of his office, he stared me down, asked me a couple of ridiculous questions like 'Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head?' and 'Are you comfortable with cleaning the bathrooms and the floors?' I had no idea that was the job of a cashier but hey it's a small store so maybe one cashier is really instructed to do everything. I said yes and he wrote something on my application and said we'll call you. I got a bad vibe from this guy the second he stared me down, and he only reaffirmed his vibe by being a jerk.

Interview Question – Being asked: Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head? (when I am clearly a 5 foot 3 petite 19 year old girl, what do you think the answer would be?)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ALDI

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI interview questions and advice. All 324 interview reviews are posted anonymously by ALDI employees and interview candidates.