ALDI

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

2.8

Specialist Interview

The first interview is with the hiring manager. The second interview is with the hiring manager's manager. Because ALDI does not have a formal Human Resource department, do not expect internal recruitment specialists to filter and 'grill' you.

Interview Questions
    • None. Expect usual questions on experience, skills and achievements. Some behavioral and situational.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Fixed uniform salary for each position level.

Retail Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in November 2014.

Start of process is by applying online for the positiona and store location, make sure you apply for the store you wish to work at and not generically as your application is forwarded to the relevant Area Manager.

Recieved an email asking to come in for a group interview with the Area Manager, there were about 10-15 people in the group interview. We were shown a video about ALDI and some information regarding the position (tasks, what to expect, pay etc) and then asked to talk and introduce the person sitting next to us and present them to the group, Included in this presentation was answering why we wanted to work for ALDI and sort of what our goals are. Was then asked to form 2 groups and do a mini task; to prioritise name cards with aldi's store management priorities (customer service, quality, availability, cleanliness and appearance). Was then given a chance to ask all questions we wanted to know regarding the position and shed light on any grey areas <---- this was a very nice thing the Area Manager did. Was finally told, if we were successful, we would be contacted for a 1on1 interview. Was contacted.

Came in for 1on1 and got asked about my previous experiences at work and at uni generically (such as "tell me about your time at X company, what did you do there, did you enjoy it? etc etc") then got asked a few basic maths questions (adding, subtracting and multiplying some numbers) and a few to do with change calculation (e.g. if a customer bought a total of $13.35 and gave $50 how much change would they recieve?, if my total was 19.95 and gave $100, how much change? etc etc)

At the end of the interview was then asked to fill out a police check form, medical examination (to see if I was fit for work) and a non-disclosure form.

Was contacted a few days later and offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected or difficult, all straight forward. Only hard if you struggle with maths a lot.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, ALDI has set pay and benefits for RA's and it is publically visible on their website. Also in the group interview process you are told this pretty much straight off the bat so its pretty transparent.

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

I was invited for a group interview. there were 6 of us at that time and we were asked to interview the person next to you then later on present him/her to the group. i think it saved the manager a whole lot of time. questions were very common (e.g. why do u want to work for aldi etc.). after each presentation, the manager would also asked about your availability and location preference. then there was a quick tour around the store and finally a math test (very basic). the successful applicants would be contacted by email/phone for a one on one interview with the area manager and store manager.

Store Assistant/Deputy Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Was called about my application about 3 months after I applied for an impromptu phone interview. Was then invited for a group interview. Area Manager walked our group around a store asking us questions about what we knew of Aldi. I was the only one who seemed to have done their homework and could answer her questions. Later in the one on one interview she seemed to want to gauge my willingness to do physically hard work and my ability to provide good customer service.

Interview Questions
    • All fairly standard questions, describe a time when you went 'above and beyond' to provide great customer service. Tell me about a time when things didn't go to plan and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pendle Hill
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pendle Hill

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in September 2013.

Applied online. Heard back from them after a month, they invited me to a interview. First round was a group interview. They ask some basic questions regarding our flexibility, days and time we will be available to work. After this round selected people are asked to move to the next room where one of the area manager presents us with the company profile for around 20 minutes. once this is done, there is a one on one interview with the area managers with few general questions and two or three numerical questions.

Interview Questions
    • The numerical questions. basic addition and subtraction question regarding the money counting.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation at all.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in May 2009.

Aldi's recruitment process for the management trainees are handled through Hudsons.

I had an initial screening interview over the phone with a Hudson junior recruiter - very easy questions, just basic interview stuff. Only took about 10 minutes.

I was then invited for a 1 hour interview with a more senior Hudsons recruiter - the questions here are focused on your leadership qualities: how would you train people, solve problems, deal with angry customers, etc.

I was then successful and went onto the assessment centre round. This is essentially the final round and we had a group activity plus interview with a senior ALDI manager. It went the whole day. In the group activity we were given a hypothetical plane crash scenario and had to prioritise a list of items we would take with us.

I bombed out I guess because I didn't get the position.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ALDI.

Applied online through my college career page. Was contacted for a informational and assigned an interview time. Was first asked to a informational dinner, had first interview the next day, now planning on going for a second round interview at their Headquarters

Interview Questions
    • basic questions, why you want to work for AlDI, leadership experience, What makes you stand out   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ALDI.

Recruited on campus. Was invited to a mandatory dinner the night before to learn more about the company and job position. Interview was the next morning. Lasted about 20 minutes

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision, and it was not successful.   Answer Question

District Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI.

I applied at a job fair at USC and heard back within a week. I had to apply online,I was first invited for an information session and the next day I had an interview which was an average interview. They told me I would hear back from them either way within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Experience and behavior questions about resume and past jobs.   Answer Question

District Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ALDI.

The company recruited on-campus and I got offered a first-round interview. Personally, I thought it really went well. I answered all the questions with so much passion and enthusiasm and they asked really easy questions so I do not know why I didn't get it. Oh, right. I know why-- Aldi has a certain look they're trying to go for, mainly white people look.