AMD Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Design Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AMD.

1) 5 Rounds of interview covering software, verification, logic design, Computer Architecture and Physical Design (little)
    2) Logic Design round was difficult since tough questions about verilog coding and design using it were asked
    3) Computer Architecture - covered tomasulo, cache, pipeline, interrupts etc...
    4)Software - Toughest....questions asked were like how to design good application, how many lines of C++ code have you written, perl pattern matching questions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AMD in April 2014.

Two rounds. A HR phone screen and a technical phone screen interview. Both ones are very kind and patient. HR just asked some basic resume questions. Technical round was using collabedit to solve some algorithm problems in C

Senior Verification Engineer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at AMD in May 2011.

Started as a contractor and became full-time Interview was average difficulty. Asked about finite state machine, sequencer, x-propagation, FIFOs, delays . Interview was about 3 rounds and result was fast.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at AMD in July 2014.

Interview went on smooth but coming to result dont know why they delay. we dont even know whether we are rejected or under consideration for the position. AMD should improve its interaction with the candidates. They donot even respond to emails once the interview is done.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AMD in January 2010.

one interview then group interviews with 5 people from the group. Met with the hiring manager briefly. Did not hear anything for 3 weeks, internal recruiter said they were busy on other projects. Hiring manager call and extended a offer...no compensation mentioned "HR will iron that out" Turned out he was one of the worse managers in my career

Hiring bonus, base

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online - interviewed at AMD in April 2011.

The hiring and interview process at AMD was implemented quite well. It was handled professionally by the human resource recruiter. First I was contacted by the hiring manager.
    Then the HR recruiter setup my first on-site interview with the manager and a few critical engineers.

My first on-site interview was quite technical since I was interviewed with all engineers.
    There was a lot of detailed discussion of my previous designs. I was asked to draw
    detail circuits from my previous designs on the black board and discussed these circuits
    in details.

In conclusion, the interview process at AMD was similar to interviews at other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the technical questions were quite challenging.   Answer Question

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AMD.

I had just one interview in which the interviewer tried to estimate my academic experience in the fields of physical design and verification. Some other skills like working on Linux and knowledge in scripting are also tested.
    I had a complete review of my resume.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at AMD in March 2010.

All communications were through email; from sending in my resume, to setting up the interview. The only phone call I had was when the offer was made.
    The interview was an all-day affair from 9am to ~4pm; and consisted of interviewing with 4 people. The first was a discussion with the hiring manager which was a smooth discussion discussing grad work and confirming the alignment of my degrees with the expectations of the job.
    Then I had three technical interviews by senior engineers who had no background in my field of study. Each interviewer presented some general problem solving questions; nothing difficult, but nothing that can be prepared for. I was given a tour of the office and met with a couple of people that I would be working with.
    As it was my first job, the process seemed normal; however, in hindsight there are a couple of red flags that I should have seen. If I were to experience any of these again, I would never accept a position with the company.
    Red Flag 1. I drove 3 hours for the interview and there was never any mention of reimbursement for gas or mileage. It's the only interview I've had where I've never been reimbursed for travel.
    Red Flag 2. I was on my own for lunch. Not only did they not buy me lunch, they didn't even accompany me as part of a personality interview. I was just cut loose for an hour. Again, the only interview I've had where this has happened.
    Red Flag 3. I was never given the opportunity to ask questions. I was grilled for 4 hours and never had a chance to ask anything! Each technical interview ended when the next interviewer interrupted, or the last guy realized his time was up. It speaks volumes to how a company values prospective employees when they don't give the interviewee a chance to do some digging.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question had to do with expected range of a voltage divider given component tolerances, as well as the distribution of tolerances and resulting distribution of output voltage.   Answer Question
    It was my first job out of school and the salary offer was in my expected range. I requested moving assistance and it was provided.

Quality Assurance Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at AMD in April 2013.

Interview process was telephonic and video conference round because i was employed in bangalore, interview was not much tougher asked easy questions and able carsk that all the questions asked by the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy and able to answer all the questions   Answer Question
    I dint negotiated much because this company was the second for me.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at AMD.

Standard interview questions for programming job. One debugging question. One recursion question. One problem with using gates (come up with some logic). About 6 people. 1 person takes you for lunch at the cafeteria. Hiring process was overall ok. I got proper phone and/or email updates during the process. overall experience was ok. Interviewers were sort of "normal" in the sense that they weren't intimidating nor ultra friendly - just had a normal interviewer poker face.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything extremely difficult of unexpected or out of ordinary.   Answer Question
    they check your last company (at least, if not all) salary, so don't lie.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!