AMD

AMD Interview Questions

Updated 31 Oct 2014
Updated 31 Oct 2014

CAD Department PEY Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AMD in November 2014.

I applied through my university. The interview was about 1 hour long, mostly technical questions, about verilog, timing analysis of digital logic and power dissipation. The questions weren't difficult, but the interviewer seemed strangely critical of my answers. I'm not sure if he was doing it on purpose, but he came off a little harsh.

Interview Questions
    • How to reduce static and dynamic power dissipation in CMOS logic   View Answer

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD.

I applied through university. Just had one interview. There were two interviews and both of them were nice. Both of them were Hardware Engineers. I am mainly focused on Software. But this position required both HW and SW skills so I was interested. They asked me a mixture of hardware and software questions. Mainly hardware. They asked me to write Verilog and C. Most of the questions were pretty straightforward and basic.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to write the Verilog code for a D-Flip Flop. I had forgottend verilog, so I asked them if I could write it in pseudo-code. I dervied and wrote the code from first principles. I think this impressed them.   Answer Question

I got another offer from another company that was paying more.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

It was fairly simple. Got initial interview call from HR. He scheduled 30 mins of tech interview with the team I was part of. Asked me 3-4 questions on data structures, SQL, strings and Java. Got an offer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AMD.

Applied through the school internship program job board. Had an on-campus interview with an engineer. Talked about my past experiences, then went onto questions regarding digital logic and Verilog programming. Then I was invited for an on-site visit to meet the team and check out the work environment. Received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • A vending machine takes pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. A can of pop costs 25 cents. When the amount of money inserted is equal to 25 cents, the machine dispenses the pop. When the amount of money is over 25 cents, the machine dispenses the pop and change. Draw the state diagram for the vending machine.   Answer Question

Design Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD.

1) 5 Rounds of interview covering software, verification, logic design, Computer Architecture and Physical Design (little)
    2) Logic Design round was difficult since tough questions about verilog coding and design using it were asked
    3) Computer Architecture - covered tomasulo, cache, pipeline, interrupts etc...
    4)Software - Toughest....questions asked were like how to design good application, how many lines of C++ code have you written, perl pattern matching questions

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD.

I had just one interview in which the interviewer tried to estimate my academic experience in the fields of physical design and verification. Some other skills like working on Linux and knowledge in scripting are also tested.
    I had a complete review of my resume.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at AMD.

Standard interview questions for programming job. One debugging question. One recursion question. One problem with using gates (come up with some logic). About 6 people. 1 person takes you for lunch at the cafeteria. Hiring process was overall ok. I got proper phone and/or email updates during the process. overall experience was ok. Interviewers were sort of "normal" in the sense that they weren't intimidating nor ultra friendly - just had a normal interviewer poker face.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything extremely difficult of unexpected or out of ordinary.   Answer Question
    they check your last company (at least, if not all) salary, so don't lie.

Coop Interview

The whole process took about 30 days. First a HR round for about 20 minutes and a phone screen of about 75 minutes. After getting selected there is background check.

Intern Interview

Asked basic behavioural questions. Phone interview, then in person interview. In addition asked some technical questions regarding circuits and basic understanding of theory. No unexpected trick questions. Should prepare for interview by reading up on textbooks or literature.

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at AMD in July 2014.

Interview went on smooth but coming to result dont know why they delay. we dont even know whether we are rejected or under consideration for the position. AMD should improve its interaction with the candidates. They donot even respond to emails once the interview is done.