ASDA Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

2.4

Seasonal Employee Interview

I applied online and was invited to a group selection interview shortly after. the group selection interview was very informal and fun. we had to find out about our partner and introduce them to the group individually, we then were given the task to build something out of balloons, and tell the interviewers how many balloons high it was going to be and also give it a name. I had the ide of building a flower, which our team did and we won the challenge. we were then taken out to the shop floor and told about tasks that colleagues have to do everyday and we had to locate milk and write down what aisle we found it in. after this we went back into the interview room and had to write down which department we would like to work in and what hours we could do. then the interview was over.

a week later I was asked to come back for a one-to-one interview. again this interview was very informal and I was only asked a few questions and it only lasted 5-10 minutes. I was then told that I had been successful and I'd got the job.

some tips for the interview stages - don't be too serious, everyone at asda is really fun and outgoing, don't forget that the interviewers themselves had to go through the same interview as you once, engage in conversation with the interviewer and don't be afraid to ask questions, don't dress too formal the interviews are very laid back, go for smart casual, good luck!

Interview Questions
    don't be afraid to ask more questions about the job role like hours etc, asda are very flexible.

ASDA Colleague Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA.

Had an interview for the position of Asda colleague this week, the interview was one of the strangest I have ever had. To begin with it was a group interview, with a manager leading it, and three colleagues around the room taking notes. We had to partner up with the person sat next to us, ask them some questions, and then present back to the room, introducing the person next to us. Next we were split into two groups of four, and asked to create a presentation about ideas for improving a customers experience in the store, and then present back to the room. Our next challenge involved us being split into 2 different groups, and we were told to go into a room and look at a structure which had been made from childrens building blocks, we were then told to go into our groups and recreate the structure, every 5 minutes 1 person from the group was allowed to go back in to look at the structure, so that you could make changes.

The next stage of the process was the one to one interviews, which I felt were conducted in a strange way, as the asda colleagues interviewed me, I am not use to it being somebody who would be a peer conducting interviews, I am more use to speaking to a manager, or supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were offered more training opportunities to advance your career?   Answer Question

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ASDA in October 2014.

Sent application Thursday, received phone call inviting to group interview on Friday, attended group interview Monday, received call inviting me to one to one interview Tuesday, went to one to one interview Wednesday, offered job Thursday. An extremely fast process. For the group interview we were asked to introduce a partner. We then split into groups and were asked to make a presentation on what we would do for the big opening of the store (the store hadn't opened yet) and ho we would support the community in the long term. We were watched by five Asda colleagues who were making notes and 'scoring' us. The one to one interview was more of a chat than an interview. I was asked when I had gone above and beyond for a customer before, and about my general experience and hours. The jobs I had a applied for were no longer available so I was informed of alternative options.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, all details had been discussed prior to offer.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ASDA in October 2014.

Did an online application and test and was invited to an Asda Magic event. It was all fine until we were told that they didn't have all the jobs available that we had applied for and to fill in a form with the departments we wanted to work. I wasn't happy as had specifically wanted an admin position and not a shop floor one.

Hours didn't suit

Warehouse Operative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wirral, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wirral, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

The whole process took roughly 2 weeks, I applied on line. It's the typical on line application, there is alot to fill in and there are sections to tell them all about yourself and your qualifications etc. I then had to complete a psychometric questionnaire and a personality questionnaire, these are just simple questions such as "do you work well as a team?" and "how good a communicator are you?" The simple sort of stuff. There was then a literature test, this was basically making sure I could understand a piece of text. The idea is, you read the text, they ask a question, with a true or false answer. The example was as follows:

"Last year ASDA was able to recycle 97% of all common waste from its stores in the UK."

The question I had to answer was: Did ASDA recycle all common waste last year?

The answer is obviously False, it's just making sure you actually read the text and the question with care. When you apply on line take great care to make sure you double read everything to ensure any silly mistakes aren't made, as failure to do so will lead to your application being unsuccessful.

There is then a small mathematics problem solving test. This is very basic, here is an example :

ASDA Stores - Total Instant Barbecue stock.

Bournemouth - 400
    Birkenhead - 375
    Milton Keynes - 400
    Colchester - 400

The Question: Every store needs to have 400 instant barbecues in stock, how many does the Birkenhead store need to order, so that they have 400 in stock? A) 30 B) 25 C) 45 D) 40

The answer is obviously B - 25 , however once again just be careful and make sure you are double checking your answers, as complacent behaviour whilst answering these could lead to silly mistakes being made.

I then got an email saying thanks for applying and that they will be in touch soon, should your application be successful.

About a week later, I got an email asking me to attend an "ASDA Magic" assessment. This was a group interview, there was 8 of us in total. There were 4 employees taking the interview, one was a lead speaker and organiser, whilst the other 3 had clipboards and were taking notes on each of us. In this interview, we were paired up with each other and given a task. We were to ask each other questions. The questions were: what is your name, age, a hobby and if you could take two items to the moon what would they be? We then had to give the rest of the group the answers one by one. This was basically the ice-breaker. Then we were split into two teams, given marshmallows and dry spaghetti, and given a team task to build a tower and then sell it to the interviewers afterwards. Our tower ended up in a mess on the floor however, what they are looking for in this task, is communication amongst each other, good team work and a friendly warm attitude towards each other, much like it is working for ASDA.

There was then several small videos played for us, these were basic videos such as ASDA beliefs, customer care and all of ASDA's initiatives as a company etc. Then a small health and safety video.

After the task and the videos, we were then took onto the shop floor, for a series of small tasks. I was given a clipboard and was asked to make several notes about the store, the employee who took us on the shop floor was talking about the store we just had to make notes of what he was saying. Our final task was being asked to find two items in the store and write down what isle they are in. I got given balloons and folder dividers, I found the folder dividers but couldn't find the balloons, however this wasn't my fault as they had been moved and un-marked. But it was a fun atmosphere amongst the candidates and I actually quite enjoyed it.

We were then all brought back to the training room and given a round up talk and then the interview ended. They said if successful at the group stage, you will be invited for a one on one interview.

Two days later, I received a phone call asking me to come in for a 1 to 1 interview, this interview was fairly straight forward, the questions were all based on retail and customer care, they were "can you tell me a time you have used excellent customer service?" "how would you deal with an awkward customer" and simple questions such as what makes good teamwork etc. It was relatively formal on the whole, however I found it quite a relaxed atmosphere and the lady interviewing me was very friendly and approachable. The interview only lasted roughly 15 minutes. I was then told If successful I'd hear with the next 3 days. On the third day I got a phone call, offering me the job and I was told my hours and invited for an induction day. So on the whole pretty straight forward, 4 main things to remember.

1) Do the on line assessments very carefully
    2) Make your profile as detailed as possible
    1) Be friendly and approachable at the group interview
    4) Don't be nervous at the interview, make sure you speak clearly and confidently.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated some evening hours with ASDA, they were very flexible around my studies which was nice. Very pleasant to deal with.

Checkout Operator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in September 2014.

I got interview call from ASDA asked me to bring along my Passport and NI no. The first thing we get to fill in the flexibility form and watched some videos regarding ASDA.
    we have to introduce our partner sitting our right in front of others candidates.Then we have given 30 sec to arrange ourselves in our date of birth order. Then half of us went for floor visit where we have asked to arrange shelves. then we had one on one interview with one of HR member. I had been asked questions about Punctuality and its importance among colleagues, example of good customer service, example of team work, importance of uniform etc.

Interview Questions
    • As I am student having no work experience, for me example of good customer service was the most difficult question.   Answer Question

Sales Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torquay, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torquay, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in August 2014.

I applied online, only as a result of employee referal by my neighbour was turned down. My CV and covering letter which my neighbour tried to hand in was declined. 10days later received email inviting me to asda magic assessment interview and was delighted. I was expecting to be interviewed by the recruitment manageress but not the case. Three out of seven turned up and we worked as a group as much as was possible. I found the entire magic interview etc delightfuland entertaining but not much forthcoming from 2 others in the group. We were then singled out and the 3 staff members of asda, one working floor security, one in the bakery and the other has been asda collegue for 15 years but had no input, took us individaully into rooms to be asked questions relevant to high quality of customer care. I was told by my interviewer that I was best he had ever seen in both team/group and one on one with him, which relevance pertained to the questions he asked and how I answered. I was told my interview of very high calibre which really made me feel good and also confident about being offered a post. We were informed that we would hear back in 3 days and shud we not be successful, not to worry because our details go into a silver box? which is forwarded to other branches should they need staff they already have our details. I received an email 2 hours after my interview stating I was unsuccessful and that I would not be allowed to apply for any positions withing the asda group in the next 6 months. I was astounded and saddened by this as I felt I was wrongly judged. Judged not by what I would have been able to give to asda workwise but as an individual.
    ?

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question being: To write a radio jingle lasting 30 seconds and promoting an ice-cream cake and asda! However, it proved to be great fun! And were able to deliver the 30 second jingle very successfully!!   View Answer

Communications Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in August 2014.

Easy application, quick to respond, challenging but fun interview. They hire for personality, so make sure you're big on that. They want people who are really into the brand and want to make it better. Do your research. The interview is nothing to worry about. The people who interviewed me were lovely and overall the experience was very much enjoyed. Although I didn't get the job it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in August 2014.

invited to a 'magic' day involving speaking to person seated next to you , finding out some key things about them, and then introducing them to everyone else in the room. Divided into teams ( I noted the older people were put in one team..felt they had a;ready made decisions) then asked to make an item out of balloons to sell to other team. After this shown round store and a brief 3 mins interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most enjoyable part of the day? Give an example of your personal experience of offering customer service...Unfair if you a re using transferable skills and can't relate as such. i.e in a supermarket environment.   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Llanelli, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Llanelli, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA.

Two stages to the interview process, group interview and one on one. Usually done on the same day.
    The group interview consists of 3 groups being given a challenge, the outcome of the challenge has no input into who gets a job, but the contribution and your behaviour in the challenge is a factor

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just about experience and customer service. Asda is very customer service focused   Answer Question
    There was no negotiations. I was taken on as a seasonal worker and eventually offered a full time contract. The hours I was able to work were determined once I'd been offered a position