Alaska Airlines

Updated 18 Jan 2015

3.1

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Everybody came to the hotel very early. I think over 100 applicants came for the group interview.The process was fast. They recruiters were accommodating. Group interview first then hr one on one interview. A lot of people were cut after the group interview. I think the phone screening should be stricter because some people flew all the way to seattle for the interview. Then after 2 or 3 questions they're out.

It was still a good experience though.

Other Interview Reviews for Alaska Airlines

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Everything said here is exactly dead on. I made flash cards from the questions I read here and every question I heard that day was one of my flash cards. You need to stay energetic the entire time. That is where I think my downfall was. I aced the group interview. After that you meet with a flight attendant and they ask you about your ability to work whenever they want you too etc. Say yes to whatever they ask and stay upbeat. Think about it like this.. Be dumb blonde Taylor Swift happy. I'm dead serious. But try to make it as natural as possible. This applies to guys too. Be silly and happy but make sure whatever you say is professional. Not robotic. After that you meet with HR. This was my killer. They basically go through your work history and ask you why you left each job and are you rehireable. Blah blah... I think I got too serious here and lost my bubblyness and went straight to serious mode. Again they ask you more questions. All of those are also apart of the flashcards. Rehearse your answers to the point where you know them in your sleep. But deliver them as natural as possible. Again be really upbeat.. Match the energy of the interviewers. You are always watched dont forget that. Good luck. And like everyone else says you pay for everything on your own. I flew 5 hours there and back and paid for hotels and all. Make your money count if you go to this event. After the group they cut from about 125 down to 20. After that I'm sure even less. The panel is the final stage. Sorry no info on that. Remember this too. They will tell you to keep your answers down to 60 seconds. Listen. Everyone in my group that went over time did not get a Face to Face. Don't ramble. Short CUTE and sweet

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were frustrated with a co worker and what did you do?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Recently had a phone interview that resulted in scheduling an in-person interview. Interview was very brief. Questions were to describe an example of when you went above what was expected for customer service, why do you want to be a flight attendant with Alaska Airlines, and what have you done to improve your professional image (ie CPR certification course or something that wasn't expected of you but you did in order to improve yourself). Also asked about past 10 years of work history and why you left/are wanting to leave your most recent/current job. Lasted about 15 minutes and at the end they said they would like to schedule an in-person interview which I have yet to attend.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done to improve your professional image?   Answer Question
    Got offered a second interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2014.

This was probably the hardest interview I've ever had. It was very long and exhausting. Its really important to prepare and arrive at the interview informed as much as possible. Although i didnt receive an offer this was a really great learning experience! heck i might never be nervous for interviews again lol jk I wish ;) I don't think i would have gotten as far as i did if it werent for the helpful suggestions of the other reviewers :) My interview went as follows:
    1. Interviewers intros then video.
    Break
    2. Group interview
    another break but after this one names were called of who passed everyone else was asked to leave
    3. Fill out some paperwork, and wait for your turn to be interviewed by a Flight Attendant
    mini break (sorta)
    4. HR interview
    more mini breaks
    ..and this is as far as I got :( But wait!! Theres more so don't go just yet lol the guy i was talking to told me everyone who passed got sent on lunch after FA and HR int. and after that I think came another group interview. So like said earlier this site help so I wanna help others too so here it goes:
    Rule #1 Don't be Fake! I literally think they can smell the fakeness on some people and that's how they so easily cut people after the giant group interviews.Don't feel intimidated by other people, sounds hard but its possible. Just be yourself and before you realize it you'll be having a good time and that's what they wanna see :)
    Rule #2 Don't Ramble! When they ask a question keep it simple and to the point. Once you pass the group interview you will have your chance to shine with both the FA and HR one on one. The worst thing you can do during the group interview is ramble on and on. A handful of people did this in my group and it was really apparent when the interviewers were done listening. The last thing want is for the interviewer to cut you off and tell you you're taking too long. so rambling = HUGE No No! Also I don't think I need to mention this but just as a reminder please Do NOT talk negatively of customers whether they are real or made up. I say made up because some of the questions they ask will be scenario types and one lady actually said that if she had to she would "take it to the tracks" to settle a argument with her made up customer.. o_O
    so yeah don't ramble OR make any comments suggesting you have violent or aggressive tendencies or traits.
    And lastly
    Rule #3 Be a good listener
    what I mean by this that you pay attention to anyone who has the floor whether they are interviewer or interviewees. Be supportive of others too if they say something funny likea joke its okay to laugh its good for you and them too :)
    I hope this helps anyone who reads it sorry if its long but I just wanted ti share as much as I could and there still more to tell :) Goodluck to everyone! Also as my last bit of advice: when they ask you which location you prefer? Just say no preference. And that you would be happy to go wherever they send you. I think this was my big mistake that that got me sent home, when the HR lady asked me where I wanted to be based I said "CA because because this is my home" she just made a face and continued writing then I quickly added that I would like anywhere but by then the damage was done :P so yeah there's a such thing as being too honest. No Preference is not lying its more like being neutral. :) okay bye for reals this time guys ;)

Interview Questions
    • How to calm an angry customer?
      What to do if its time for take off and someone has not put on their seatbelt?
      What to do if someone obviously needs help but does not understand english?
      What job are you most loyal to?

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2014.

Applied online, got a response email about a week later asking me to do a phone interview the following week. The interview took about 30 minutes. The guy was very nice, asked a lot of questions about my work history and how I've handled difficult situations in the past. Also continually asked about my willingness to relocate to ANC, SEA, PDX etc if hired. At the end of the conversation, he invited me to a group interview in Irvine (I live 20 mins away so it was very convenient) that was to take place in 3 weeks. I have a few flight attendant friends, so I was able to bounce some questions off of them before hand, but this website was my saving grace. Everything on this thread about the group interview for Alaska Airlines is extremely accurate.

I did my research on the company, bought a new interview outfit (black pant suit, silky blouse, black mary janes...ladies keep it simple, hair up or down is acceptable from what I noticed) and practiced my answers the best I could before the big day. I was extremely nervous and only got about 3 hours of sleep the night before, which unfortunately had a huge effect on my ability to think on my feet and give the articulate answers that they are looking for. The process is pretty straight forward and if you read through the other posts you will get a good idea about the general format of the day, but here's my little breakdown as well :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    *Get there early!!
    *Make a point to sit next to someone and initiate conversation while you're waiting around (this was very easy since everyone I encountered was personable and genuinely nice).
    *Hour long video/informative presentation by current FA's and recruiters.
    *Divide into smaller groups of 25 (there were 75 people total in this particular event)
    *45 mins of group questions and a partner activity where you had to discuss and answer a question together.
                     Q: "Name a job you were most committed/loyal to."
                     Q:"Tell us one thing that is not on your resume." (This could honestly be any random/interesting fact about you...be sure to incorporate your personality and even inject a little humor. The whole interview is meant to be professional, but still real and genuine. They want to see a mix of professionalism and personality. But don't be too boisterous or overbearing and keep your answers short and sweet!)

*After this, we were all told to take a 45 minute break so they could decide who moves onto next round.
    *Upon our return a new lady came in and announced the 4 names of the people that would then be continuing on to the next round of HR/Panel interviews.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately my name was not called and my day was over at this point (around 12:00pm). The 4 girls that moved on were nothing special in my opinion. I was shocked at who they didn't pick. People I thought were going to be a shoe-in were sent home, so I didn't beat myself up too bad. There were a few people that had been through the interview process several times and still got sent home, but the recruiters made a point to encourage you to reapply in 6 months and also that many successful employees have had to go through the interview process 3-4 times.

At the beginning of the day they mentioned how Alaska will be hiring over 400 new FA's in 2015 due to expansion, so we were all very optimistic about possibly having a large group move on, but unfortunately they probably only ended up hiring about 5-8 people.

Overall is was a pleasant experience and I am very thankful that I went through it because it gave me at least some sort of a foundation to base my future interviews off of.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when your employer initiated a policy change and how you dealt with it.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2014.

Email with basic questions (Willing to relocate). Scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. More standard interview questions. Went over work history and situational questions. After I was invited to go to an in person interview. I am excited to go next week!

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied towards the end of July and heard back in the beginning of October. I received an email asking me if I was still interested, willing to relocate, and if I was available to attend an interview at any of their 5 domiciles. I of course said yes and I was available! If you are not willing to relocate or do the crash pad thing this may not be the job for you. You can be based anywhere from San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, or Anchorage.

I emailed back and scheduled my phone interview for a few days after. The phone interview was pretty basic. Questions like tell me about your customer service, how has your personal life shaped your professional life, are you able to relocate. They will ask you about relocating about 1,000 times because they really need people that are willing to do so. I passed the phone interview and he scheduled me to go to the interview at the Hilton in Orange County right after we finished.

Once I arrived there I was surprised at how steep the competition was. There was about 50+ candidates there and all of them looked like flight attendants already. (Some were current flight attendants and none of them were chosen) Make sure you are dressed professional and conservative. We started with orientation that was super helpful and informative of what life will be like. We then split into groups of about 12 to do our group interviews. Again, questions were basic. Tell me something not on your resume, what would you look for in a flight attendant, etc.. We then took a short break and almost everyone was cut. Only about 14 people made it past this round. They are looking for your positive energy and are watching you at ALL times. Smile, smile, smile!

After the cut was made, we started one on one interviews. We got to talk to a flight attendant informally and they told us more about the life style. There was a lot of waiting at this point so don't get too anxious if you aren't called right away. I then moved on to the HR interview which is you and your interviewer. Here we went over 10 year work history, any criminal activity, (just be honest at this point, they will find out and it won't count against you if you are open) what would you bring to the company, and of course relocating!

Only 8 of us made it to final panel interview. We were split into two groups to organize subjects in matter of importance or danger. Categories were vomit, security threat, fatigue, etc.. Be active and work through your team during this. They will be watching you. They will then bring you back together and you will make a map of their destinations. They aren't looking for accuracy just how well you work with others. Smile be energetic even though this is a LONG process. Only 3 of us were hired, it's a crazy day but it's worth it! :)

Hope this helps! If you don't make it your first try again! They are an amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • Asked to say one word that described what we live for.   View Answer
    No negotiation

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and received an email a few months later requesting a phone interview. I had my phone interview the next day at a time that was convenient to me. It was a quick 20 minute interview with simple questions like "Are you willing to relocate?", "Why did you leave your last position?, and "What qualities should a flight attendant have?". They were very nice and positive on the phone which was a nice boost for confidence personally. Remember to keep it short, simple, and to the point.

Have your resume on hand because the first thing they do is go over your work history.

Stay up beat throughout the whole interview and remember passenger safety is the most important thing to a flight attendant. Work it in or mention it whenever you can!

I was invited to attend the next phase of the interview process at the end of the phone call.

I will attend the next phase soon.

Interview Questions
    • Have a situation in your mind where you went above and beyond what your job description asked of you.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online with Alaska in the beginning of October and about three weeks later I got an email stating they were interested. They asked me questions in the email, are you willing to relocate?, and if chosen for an interview could you get there on our own expense? Questions like that. I answered them then later that day I got another email saying I have a phone interview for the next week.

The phone interview I thought was pretty easy, and I get nervous for any kind of interview. She asked me questions on the willing to relocate once again, if I used nicotine within the last six months, if I'd be willing to let them do a background check on me. Then she asked me situation questions that would happen in the work place. It only took about 15 minutes then afterwards she told me if I was available for an in person interview!!!

The interview is this week, I'm excited and nervous! Hope everything works out!

Interview Questions
    • Are you flexible and willing to move to any of their domiciles? (ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN, LAX)   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out at your work?   Answer Question