Alaska Airlines Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 12, 2014
Updated Aug 12, 2014
81 interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in August 2014.

Had phone interview and was invited to the group interview in Seattle. The whole process was fun and enjoyable! There were nearly 160 people showed up and after the 1st group interview most people was out. They only kept around 20 people out of the 160 to go farther to the face to face the the last panel interview(which would be the last interview) everything was done in 1 day. I was out after the 1st group interview. They said you can reapply after 6 month. From what I hear and saw this is a very good company to work for. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in this time.
    1st they show you a video about the company and what to expect along with the benefits. The they divided people to groups in different rooms and you have to stand up to speak in front of about 20 people(each group has about 20) it was really fun!

Interview Questions
    • 1.What's the most royal job you've had and why.
      2 you get to choose a card and will have a partner(who sits next to you) to figure out the answer. Everyone had a different question. Most behavior questions and my was why do you think professionalism is important working for this airline. Others were tell me a time you had to deal with upset customer/ tell me a time you had to deal with someone who was doing something dangerous/ what if your coworker is reading a magazine while you are working during flight/ what do you do when customer refuse to put her husbands ashes away while taking off or landing/ conflict with coworkers/ ect...

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tukwila, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Ridiculous. Tiffany from HR was rude and didn't even give a fair chance to explain things on our work history form. They don't even formally tell you that you aren't hired. They hand a piece of paper to the guy out front (they do it right in front of you) and walk back in the room. Unprofessional.

Ground Service Agent Interview

It was a group interview. They had you answer generic questions about adjusting to changes on the job or scenario-based questions. They eliminate a few people in the first round and then personal interviews are conducted during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you were in an organization and you had to adapt to change quickly and how did the results affect you?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in July 2014.

I applied online in June 2014. Had a telephone interview in July and was invited to the recruitment/interview session in Los Angeles July 23. The recruitment session requires a full day if completely successful and started promptly at 8AM. About 50 people showed up at the interviewing hotel. Staff was polite and professional. They said they were hiring many flight attendants over the next year, but ironically didn’t hire many people on this day. They spent an hour giving us a video presentation on the company, the flight attendant position, training, benefits, etc. After a ten minute break, we were divided into four groups of a dozen people or so. We were given a 3x5 card with a question on the back and were asked to read the question aloud and answer it to the group. Everyone got a different question. Questions included Tell Us something About You That’s Not On Your Resume, A Time You Witnessed Someone Doing Something Unsafe, A Time You Worked With a Team to Solve a Problem and others. I cant remember the rest. The recruiters said they would compare notes and return in 30-minutes to decide who gets a panel interview. After keeping us waiting longer than promised, a rep from HR returned and named only 5 people who would continue to the panel interview. They thanked the rest of us for coming and said we could re-apply in 6 months. No current or former airline people in my group were considered!I am a former flight attendant for another airlines and wasnt considered either. I thought the interview structure was set up in a way that eliminated perfectly qualified people, and don’t feel I was given a real chance to present myself, my experience, skills and qualifications. I dont see how they can find the candidates they seek with the way the session is set up and the questions they ask. It was a disappointing experience overall and a waste of time, so I don’t think I will reapply.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a passenger refuses to buckle their seatbelt?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

In June 2014 The process began with filling out an application online. I received an email message from HR which contained six questions that I was to RESPOND PROMPTLY to. Questions: Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines 2. Are you able to accept a part-time position approx 20-30 hrs per week 3. Do you have open availability (includes weekdays, weekends, early morning, afternoon and late evenings) 4. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.69 per hour 5. What time is best to contact you between 8am-4pm 6. What is the best phone number to reach you at. As requested I replied with 20 minutes of receiving the email. The next day I received a voicemail stating a date and time to phone screen and advised to call if the schedule didn't fit. The phone screen lasted 10 minutes typical questions: 1. Describe a time challenging situation at work ..How did you tackle it? 2. Why do you think you are suited for this position 3. Can you tell me of a time when a manager spoke in an angry manner to you or a co-worker how did you handle it? 4. Please share with me what you know about the Alaska Airlines 5. Why did you leave your last position 6. If you are still working for an employer, do you intend to leave your current position and work only for Alaska Airlines or do you plan on working both positions. 7. What do you feel are the qualities a good Customer Service Agent should have 8. How do you handle criticism. 8. How many times have you been late to work. I was then invited to a group interview session in 3 days and told it could last from 8am-5pm. There were approximately 30-40 candidates in the room. HR began with showing promotional videos and then we were introduced to the HR/Recruiting team and hiring manager. The hiring manager explained that they were only hiring for 3 positions. YES 3 positions! The group was split up between group A and group B. Group B included the hiring manager which became obvious to group A. During the session each person in the group was asked a question like: If you worked for a cleaners and ruined a wedding dress the day of the wedding and the bride was angry how would you handle that? If you were a stylist and a customer asked you to cut her hair and after cutting her hair to her specifications she didn't like it how would you remedy the situation? What is your favorite job. Not was your favorite job or what would be you idea of a favorite job....Then we were asked to make 4 teams of 4 or 5 people and complete an exercise giving us full range creativity where price was no object to create a better way to service curbside Alaska Airlines customers. At 12:00 pm we broke for lunch and at 12:30pm all candidates were brought in the room together and they announced the names of the 3 people they would extend offers to.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a hair stylist and you cut the customers hair to her specifications but she complained and said she didn't like it what would you.   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2010.

Apply online. Smile and be outgoing and courteous. Once you apply you will attend a group interview. This is their weeding out process. If you pass the Group interview you will have a panel interview and then a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • You have an intoxicated passenger that you will have to deny boarding per Airline Policy. Describe in detail how you will deny boarding to this insistent and irrational passenger.   View Answer
    This position is a union job, therefore there is no negotiation on salary. You start at a base salary your first year and receive an annual cost of living increase. The salary is not why you would accept an airline position. This position is primarily about the AMAZING benefits. Flight Benefits, Health Benefits, Profit Sharing.. etc.

Recruiter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Know the job, over prepare and do you research. These folks are obviously stretched too thin and the stress they are under shows...based on the group interview I observed.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for an airline, specifically this one?
      What would your current or prior boss say about you...
      What is some constructive criticism you have received...
        Answer Question

Salary is way below market.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

The entire process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire consisted of basic questions. After that I was scheduled for a phone interview a couple days later which lasted approximately 12 minutes. The interview consisted of basic HR questions as well as a couple of CS scenarios. I was then invited to attend a group interview that was to take place in 5 days. The interview was in Santa Clara, CA. I actually thought the group interview process was pretty exciting. They put all candidates in a room together, show a few videos about the company, and have Alaska Airlines employees come talk to you about the company, their jobs, the benefits, and what you can expect. I felt the were very upfront, honest, and genuine. They explained the interview process and started with the group sessions right after the initial orientation. They split us up into 3 groups (about 16 people apiece), had us make 60 second introductions, and give an answer to basic CS scenarios. Some of the scenarios made you really think and you didn't know your situation until that very moment. Once that process was complete, they sent us on break and gave us a time to return. Once they returned, all candidates were placed in one room and the names of the candidates moving on to one-on-ones were announced. Everyone else was thanked for their time, encouraged to reapply, and sent to enjoy the rest of their day. The one-on-ones (more like 3 on 1's) were about 30-45 minutes, but fairly relaxed and comfortable. I didn't feel Like I was being interrogated. Once you completed the 1 on 1's they had you wait in a room and gave you the news (good or bad) in about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your greatest challenge if the job was offered to you?   Answer Question
    N/A

CSA Air Freight Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  SeaTac, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Process:
    (1) Few days after applying for CSA Air Freight position, I got an email from a recruiter asking basic questions about the things that are required for this specific position.
    (2) After I sent her the answers, she then set up a phone interview with me in which she asked the same required questions plus some scenario-based and other questions.
    (3) Then I was invited for a group interview that had total of 20 candidates.
    (4) An Air Freight manager and a HR manager started the process by going over the company's history, culture, benefits etc. Once they were done with their presentation, they asked everyone to stand up one by one and tell everyone else that what was the best job we had and why.
    After this, everyone was given a unique scenario question to answer.
    Then we were split into teams of four and asked to come up with an idea of an aviation related product or service that doesn't already exist. (I think hey wanna see how good of a team player you are).
    (5) Total six people were selected for one-on-one interview and the rest were excused.
    This section was about 40-50 minutes long and they asked all kinds of questions.

Senior Analyst - Network Planning Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Applied on the Alaska website in mid-March and was contacted for a phone screening/interview after about a month by an analyst for the Network Planning team. The phone screening was pretty straight forward and mostly consisted of questions on previous/current job responsibilities. A few questions focusing on my critical thinking process and how I handle projects were asked as well as some questions testing my knowledge of Alaska Airlines and their network. I was told they hoped to wrap up the entire interview process and hire someone within a month. After 3 weeks of not hearing back, I emailed to follow up and was told they were "running behind schedule", but I was invited to Seattle for an in-person interview. I flew across the country (11+ hours total flight time) and had to take 2 days off work to get there for an interview that lasted for exactly 2 hours. I spent the first hour taking a network planning test, which I was originally nervous about but it ended up being fairly basic. During the second hour, I was interviewed by an HR person and the newly promoted manager of the group (who I spoke to for the initial phone screening). I was asked some of the same questions from the phone screening and some additional technical/behavioral questions. Overall, I thought the questions were not too bad and felt pretty good about my responses. The interview ended at noon and they sent me on my way. I was shocked that it was finished so soon because I thought there would be a fuller agenda. I was told they have some more interviews to do for the rest of the week, but they would reach a decision by the following week. I ended up waiting about 2.5 weeks before someone from HR called to tell me I wasn't selected.

The biggest qualm I had about this entire process was the time commitment I made and how little they seemed to appreciate my flying across the country for the interview. Although a full day of interviews would be extremely tiring, I thought I would at least get a tour of the building and meet some of the other team members or the person I would be reporting to if selected (the director). I think the point of an interview is that it should be mutual beneficial—yes, the employer wants to learn about the candidate, but they should also allow the candidate to learn/see if they like the team dynamic and office environment. All I got to see was the conference room I was in and the waiting area. The other big issue I had is perhaps they should have made more of an effort to limit the short list of people invited for in-person interviews to those they were really serious about, especially if they ask someone to fly across the country for it. From the sounds of it, it seemed that there were quite a few other people coming in to interview. It also felt a bit biased because the decision seemed to be made solely by one individual and that person wasn't even the one I would be reporting to if selected. A more timely response/follow up than what was promised would also have been nice.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an instance where a manger did not value or was not receptive to your ideas or approach. How did you handle it?

Describe a project you initiated or worked on from start to finish.
        Answer Question

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!