Altera Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table2 phone interview the first one discussed about some skills I have and time avaliable for this intern position the second with some technical question about hash table

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in October 2014.

I sent and received all correspondence through email, and was contacted about a week or two after I gave them my resume. I was invited to an on-site interview (Toronto office). The office was quiet, casual-ish. The people I ran into/observed were friendly, polite, and helpful. The building itself had a very 'serious business' vibe though.

Interview Questions
    • Considering I was interviewing for a software position, I did not expect to have to answer hardware questions (which was my mistake, in retrospect). Interview consisted of 2 back-to-back 1/2 hour sessions with different employees.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

1st round have three interview question
    second question is ask to has the longest path in BST
    three question is bowling question. the bowling ball has width of n and each pin has different score. The question ask compute c code to find the best way to hit the pin to achieve the highest score.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult is the software question, it ask to find the biggest sum of a path in a tree which has n children and n depth.   Answer Question

New Grad Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Altera in September 2014.

Initially, an email was sent out to the UofT IEEE group informing people of positions available at Altera. I expressed interest, and submitted my resume, and was called in for an interview. Initially I was taken out to lunch nearby for the people to get to know me (including myself, there were four of us). Afterwards we returned to the office where I went into a series of three one-on-one technical interviews, each asked by a different person (the second one was asked by one of the people I went out to lunch with, but other than that, they were different people from before). Each one lasted a certain length of time...I don't remember exactly, but I'll estimate between 20-30 minutes, at which point they needed to wrap up (regardless of the candidate's progress on the problem).

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in September 2014.

I applied through career fair. One week later I was invited to interview. It took place in September 2014 at Altera company. There were two 1-1 technical interviews. The first one was about hardware and the second one was about software. The software ones were the hardest ones. I sugesst anyone should be completely prepared for the interview.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

received an email from Altera and asked for my available time for an in person interview. I had two 1-1 interviews each for half an hour. Each asked only one question but added more condition to the initial question after answering the previous question.

Interview Questions
    • the timing diagram, c coding of an average question and writing the corresponding verilog code   Answer Question

Systems Software Intern Interview

Multiple technical interviews, no behavioural interviews.
    Asked me to write code in any language I want on a whiteboard.
    Then hardware questions... most are easy but one tripped me up. Didn't get an offer

50 words limit lol please

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera.

There are two rounds of interviews, both technical. First round you will meet two persons and talk with them for half an hour each. Usually the first person will ask sort search or other typical algorithm questions, the second will ask graph DFS or BFS. I think in the second round you will meet at least 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions. How to find the only singular integer in an array consist of random pairs of integers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera in May 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. Each about 45 minutes long. The interviews were strictly technical. First interview was about algorithms and data structures. There was 2 problems and several follow up questions. Nothing particularly difficult. I wasn't perfect at the first interview but managed to pass it. The second interview was very different. There was a lot of questions, problems, and follow up questions from different areas: network protocols, computational geometry, C++, design patterns etc. The question were very interesting.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was the speaking communication. May be because of the big geographical distance (I'm from Russia, they're from Canada). The quality of phone connection was terrible, especially at the second interview. Because of that I was completely disoriented and overwhelmed and wasn't able to think clearly and carefully. The questions themselves weren't very difficult. There was only a single (may be two) question that I couldn't answer correctly in principle.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met at a career fair. I went for an onsite interview. I had 5 interviews in roughly 4 hour. The questions asked were both technical and behavioral but mainly technical. It really depends on who is interviewing you. Be prepared to the interviewer to bump on a previous answer to ask a new question, be relax and most importantly be confident!

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to help the company solve its problems?   Answer Question