Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,896 Interview Reviews

3.3

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Six interviews, one day, minimal breaks between. I got the impression that they had crammed the interviews into one day as all the interviewers were in the same City at the same time. I got the impression that this did not always happen and sometimes the hiring process could take up to three Months. In fact, around 2 Months seems usual and thats important if you need a job quickly.

Most candidates are referred by friends or former colleagues, so if you want a job with them, search your LinkedIn connections and ask them for a recommendation - they make $3k if you are successful so generally, people are happy to do it.

Be prepared for a high pressure environment and a remember, they are a casual dressing company, so don't turn up in a suit - that would definitely mark you down. Seriously. Smart casual (no tie, no jacket) is appropriate.

I negotiated another 15% in the base salary

IT Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

One of the recruiting coordinator had contacted me 2 months ago and had set a phone interview with one of the team members. After a week the results was out and had to setup another phone interview with a manager but it was scheduled 3 weeks after. After a couple of days the recruiting coordinator said they'd like me to go for a face to face interview and it has been scheduled about a month after. The face to face interviews was a series of one on ones with the team members.

Interview Questions
    • Give a specific scenario on when I've applied one of the leadership principles?   View Answer

Technical Support Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

First contact through a agency that was more interested to have all the contacts I could provide, offering iPad and other prizes. I explained that I would not provide such information. After that I had no further communication from them. After a month the same guy called me asking for contact number of my co-workers. I found this very unprofessional hiring process.

Network Engineer Interview

behaviour questions were excellent. loved the whole process.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

behaviour questions were excellent. loved the whole process.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was good and make sure you have good understanding of TCP/IP and routing protocols.   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

As I read so much from glassdoor during my preparation for interviews, I feel like obliged to leave something.

The job was applied through their website. As it only took a few days for someone to contact me, the whole process took around 4 months.

A phone screening was presented first and it took nearly an hour to finish with some basic to medium questions. As for the on-site one, it was actually consist of five different small interviews each conducted by different interviewer within an overall time of 4 hours.

The questions were well presented and I did enjoy discussing some of the details with them. The difficulty of those technical questions were quite subjective to judge and all I can say is that they were not easy. I think I did great for merely more than half of the questions whereas around one third of them were completely out of my knowledge range. It was also common for them to follow one question with another until there is nothing left in doubt for the discussed scenario.

Some interviewers were more interested in technical questions and others laid more emphasis on behaviour aspects. All of the interviewers were really friendly and created a nice relaxing environment to help concentrating on the interview questions.

IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

4 phone interviews, one video conferencing and one face to face. They called me for face-face but suddenly change their process. also they post-pond my two interviews on same day

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

The interview process is long and very difficult. I have a phone call interview for about 4 time, before i qualified to have onsite interview. Onsite interview is very difficult, and challenge, and you need to present yourself, to both technical skill, soft-skill, troubleshooting, and peer relationship question.

Interview Questions
    • Troubleshooting question, and some advance technical topics.   Answer Question
    good

Security Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

I contacted AWS after reading an ad I'd seen on LinkedIn. The HR person called to set up the first phone screen interview and provided various documents including a consent for criminal records check and a statement of the Amazon values. These, I learned, are the cult truths that must be internalized by all new devotees.

First telephone screen was technical and would be conducted by a senior engineer and took an hour. I should confess I knew little about AWS so I was a little wrong-footed because they opened with questions about their business offering. Then it got onto tech questions "How would you do X?", "Explain what happens (in as much detail as possible) when a user does Y?" and so on. Since this was a security screen there were basic crypto and similar questions. I found that enjoyable and my interviewer told me I'd definitely be going forward. It took two weeks before I heard from HR and it was another phone screen - this time with a manager.

The second phone screen also asked some technical questions but the focus was different and considered me as a person and y work history. This was also scheduled to take an hour. I got a chance to explain my experience and to listen to some of the corporate speil. It is clear that internalizing the Amazon values is core to acceptance. Again a positive verbal feedback and another two week wait.

Next up was the face-to-face meetings and they lined up five one-hour interviews with various senior people. For this they flew me interstate. Each interview had a different focus and they were largely enjoyable and interesting. I got to ask questions but a combination of time constraints and not wanting to appear picky meant I didn't get to ask enough questions to satisfy myself as to what I'd actually do. I got a clear impression that they equate hours with effort and that work/life balance is tilted in favor of work. They also did not meet my interview expenses (I'd incurred about 100$ for taxis etc.) and I thought that a bit cheap. I also was left in no doubt that on-calls will feature heavily and travel to Seattle will happen reasonably often. Another two weeks before the offer materialized.

Interview Questions
    • I had no troubles with any of the tech questions but I defintiely got one wrong (altho I hinted it was more of a guess than knowledge) and couldn't answer another. The most difficult were business questions as they have fewer obviously correct answers.   Answer Question

The work/life balance is a huge disincentive to working for AWS and the salary package doesn't adequately compensate for that. Australian companies don't usually expect unpaid overtime but, in AWS, its clear that its expected. A cheapskate approach, the requirement for travel and on-call support made me realize I can do better.

Software Development Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

There are four stages as my understanding

1. HR Screen through phone call
    2. Interview with another "Software Development Manager"
    3. Interview with Senior Development Manager
    4. One day interview at Head Quarter (I didnot pass into this stage) so I am not sure how it works. There are articles online may give you some clue

As I am in Australia, it may be different if you are in USA.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

An Amazon recruiter approached me on LinkedIn, had a short conversation on the phone, and then did the phone interview.
    The phone interview was about writing a Java program in a text editor (Collabedit).
    It followed 3 back-to-back interviews in Sydney in a couple of days, and they gave me an offer next day.
    I had a hard time accepting it because of the terms associated with relocation assistance package and sign-in bonus, read more about those in Glassdoor before signing a contract with Amazon.

Interview Questions
    • I can't disclose more details, but I was asked about solutions for a scalable continuous integration system.   View Answer

Long story short, even if your contract is terminated by Amazon you have to re-pay them back (in pro-rata). It's not that bad, but it will make a situation that you do ANYTHING cause you cannot AFFORD to get fired (yes, the bonus can be huge compared to your base salary).

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!