Amazon.com

4,140 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Amazon Area Manager Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Will get initial phone call from recruiter. Call was 3 Behavior questions with a math component that was very straightforward. Next step involves a follow-up with inviting you to fulfillment center and have 4 separate 30 minute interviews. 3 Behavior based interviews with the fourth having to do with a math component. They give you the problem after touring you around the facility and before going through the interviews.

Interview Question – Many of the behavioral questions were similar (i.e. along the lines of tell you how you improved a process). The math question is straight forward as others have posted.   Answer Question

Buyer- Fashion Department Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details First phone call screening was a pretty standard walk through of my resume with 2 unexpected detailed questions. Other than that it was not clear to me based my experience why I did not go further in the process or what exactly they were looking for in a candidate. Follow up response was timely. When I asked about company strategies or challenges with their credibility as a "fashion authority" they were unwilling to disclose any information and seemed to rely heavily on their brand recognition as Amazon to carry them through.

Interview Question – First phone screening had 2 unexpected questions that were slightly intense:
1. Give an example of a time when you resolved a problem quickly and how did you do it.
2. Give an example of a problem you resolved in a 2 step process and how it impacted the business.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details I just had the first round phone interview. It was 60 minutes. The interviewer asked about general information on the resume, followed about two data structure questions, and two coding questions. There was no tricky questions.

Interview Question – Two coding questions, one binary search tree, and one depth first search. I was asked to think about alternative ways to solve the second questions.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details The interviewers all asked questions that were very similar and these are mainly competency based questions. Not too difficult but it would be worthwhile having a few examples prepared. For example "What has been your biggest challenge at work and how did you overcome it?" and "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and how did you handle it and what steps did you put into place to corrected it?"

Interview Question – I wasn't thrown by any of the questions.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Intern Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details 2 rounds. 1st is an UX designer asking me about the projects in my portfolio. 2nd round is 2 interviews from 2 different UX designers. They will ask me about my team work experience and opinion.

Interview Question – One of the UX designer asked me to do a design challenge.   Answer Question

Brand Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I applied for the position through my campus career portal. Someone from HR reached out within 2-3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted around 45 minutes and focused around managing relationships with accounts. Passing this round I was invited to Seattle for a final round interview. There was about 20 people in my group from different schools, of which they took four. The morning was dedicated to an accounting case. Amazon had an employee teach us a form of accounting and then we were to use those teachings to solve a 45 minute case. From here we split into teams and spent 20 minutes dissecting a product and its key aspects (how to market it, costs, margin, etc). The afternoon was a three hour case spent working with a different team. We had two observers in the room while we dissected the case and determined what Amazon's actions should be moving forward.

Interview Question – How would Amazon sell hovercrafts on its site?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are not able to negotiate. I was able to get my start date moved back and I suggest asking for that early if that what youd like to do.

Category Manager Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details Series of emails, with detailewusses tons, 60 minute phone interview with in depth questions

Interview Question – How would you manage 2000 plus vendors?   Answer Question

Position Not Defined Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Strange interview with very little direct questions about experience. Mainly theoretical. Interviewers spent all their time typing into laptops. Was told to expect next steps then got rejected 2 days later with no reason given. All very odd.

Interview Question – Questions were all theoretical   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details I submitted my resume to several open positions on their website. Within a couple of days I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to set up a phone screen for a position that I actually had not applied to.

The phone screen problems consisted of a fairly simple array manipulation problem and a word game problem that I solved with a trie-like structure. The interviewer asked for ways my solution to the word game could be optimized and I gave him one which he seemed to like.

I was expecting to have another phone screen, but the next email I got from my recruiter was an invitation to fly to Seattle to interview on site. This email requested a bunch of information for booking the trip as well as what my expected salary and current salary were. I declined to answer the question about my current salary (which didn't seem to be a problem), but for the expected salary, I checked here for what their typical range was for the position I was being considered for and gave them one number that was somewhere in the 85th or 90th percentile of that range.

I signed an NDA for the on site interview stuff, but I will say that the book "Cracking the Coding Interview" by McDowell was EXTREMELY helpful. That book explained their entire interview process and had several examples that were similar to the questions they asked both in the phone screen and the on site interviews. One thing that is peculiar about Amazon's interviews is that they ask some behavioral questions that weigh pretty heavily in the decision-making process. When answering the behavioral questions, give answers that tie back into their core values (they'll send you information about their core values if you are invited on-site). "Cracking the Coding Interview" has some good examples of those behavioral-type questions as well as some good tips on how to prepare for them.

A good portion of the people I interviewed with had pretty thick accents, which made things a little more difficult. They all seemed pretty intelligent and very down-to-earth. Nobody seemed put off that they had to do the interview or anything, and they all claimed to really enjoy working for Amazon.

I was called the day after I interviewed on site and was told that they would be making me an offer. At that point the recruiter (which was a different recruiter than the one that initially contacted me, but was the person that set everything up for the on-site interview) asked me what my current salary was and told me what I could expect in terms of salary and bonuses. They had an official offer finalized within about 3 days.

The total time from submitting my resume online to accepting an offer was only about 5 weeks, so it was pretty quick.

Negotiation Details – The negotiations started with the number I gave as my expected salary before I had the on-site interviews. The recruiter that was putting together the offer (it seemed that she was the one crafting the details and then it was put before a committee or something to be approved) indicated that the number I gave as a base salary was just a bit higher than what I'd probably get. She explained that a large portion of their compensation package was equity. She initially indicated that the base salary they would offer would be about 85-90% of what I had asked for. She also wanted to know what my current salary was. Since I was pretty comfortable with the numbers she was giving, I told her what my current salary was, but indicated that I lived in a much cheaper place to live than Seattle. I told her that my biggest concern would be the raised cost of living compared to where I was living currently.
When she got back to me with the final offer, it ended up being right around 95% of what I had asked for as a base salary. They also included a very large signing bonus and a big chunk of equity that would vest in a couple of years.
The offer also included 2 weeks of vacation that accrue with each pay period, as well as an additional 6 days of leave that are available at the beginning of each year. I asked about getting 3 weeks of vacation, but it was explained that it might not be a good idea to ask for that much for the first year (everyone gets 3 weeks plus the extra 6 days after they've completed a year). I explained that I just wanted to be sure to have enough vacation to take a week at Christmas since I would be starting late in the year. She talked to my future manager and made sure that was alright.
No other negotiations were had as the rest of the offer sounded pretty good and was quite a bit better than what I was currently getting (cost of living considered and all).

Brand Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied via the Amazon jobs portal and received an invitation to do a video-interview online a day or two later. This video interview was one sided - the webtool would show a question (text) and then record my response via webcam. Only 8 questions, one of which was case-ish (how would I price such and such). Other questions were "Tell us about a time when..."

Next round was a phone call with my future manager (I didn't know that at the time). A couple of "tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?" It was intense but I strongly disagree with most of the other reviewers here - it was not a negative experience, just intense. She really wanted to get a feel for my fit with Amazon's Leadership Principles.

A couple of days later I was invited out to the HQ in Seattle for a half-day of in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews and one "test". The interviews were exactly the same format as the phone call I described above, although I have to say they were downright positive interviews. I knew why they were digging so hard and didn't take the digging personally. I think because I recognized that fact, they turned out to be very fun conversations exploring why I did what and what could have been better. The "test" was 45 minutes of me working through pricing a list of products in Excel alone in a room. I have ZERO pricing experience and it wasn't hard to pick up.

I got the offer three days later. An incredibly generous offer, I may add.

My advice to any interviewers with Amazon: Don't take their digging personally. They're trying to understand you, not judge you. It may feel like the same thing, but it's not. If you keep that perspective, interviewing with Amazon can be a lot of fun.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when..." questions with LOTS of follow-up questions. "Why did you do it that way? What would you have done differently? Why didn't you do it better the first time?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I only declined because I received an offer for a more attractive role elsewhere. Everyone I interviewed with at Amazon was awesome, I had a great time, and the offer itself was very generous. I'm still kind of sick to my stomach for turning them down.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com