Amazon.com

4,652 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   View Answer

Customer Service Associate (Seller Support) Interview

Customer Service Associate (Seller Support)
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details On seeing an online I went to amazon office in Hyderabad, have to admit the selection process was quiet tough.
Process:
Total 8 rounds:
1. Written(Basic grammar)
2. Personal Intro
3. Listening & Typing (Versant)
4. Listening & speaking (Versant telephonic round)
5. Written (e-mail, aptitude, English, customer service test cases)
6. HR Round
The first 5 rounds took place on the first day and as they said they called me the next day to come to their office and give the interview the day after, after going there I got to know that there is a HR and an operations round and as it is getting late only HR round took place for 30- 45 minutes instead of both.

Interview Question – The questions from the HR are based on your experience, as I was a fresher she asked me the following questions. The HR seems to be a very nice lady.
1. Why amazon?
2. Where do u see yourself after certain span of time?
3. Do you have any backlogs?
4. What do you know about customer service?
--- I didn't answer as I knew nothing. So to make me answer this she asked me the following.
5. What do you expect when you go to a restaurant?
--- As I answered this question she asked me to relate the answer with the 4th question.
and some customer scenarios.
6. How long will you stay with us?
  Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details I had been contacted by a recruiter from Amazon for a job I had applied to about 2 months earlier. She said a new position had opened up and asked if I was still interested. This was for a software development manager.

I had 2 phone screens (1 with the hiring manager, and 1 with a sr. software developer on the team). Nothing too out of the ordinary - some high level architecture questions and some open ended behavioral questions.

I didn't think anything would come from it, but shortly after the second phone screen, they asked if I could fly out to Seattle for in-person interviews (I live right outside of Washington DC). I set that up for the following week (they use a travel agency, so it's pretty straightforward).

The process was very well set up and everyone seemed pretty laid back and professional. The first person I talked for about 30 minutes was an hr manager. He explained that how Amazon interviews is different than most other companies. Instead of bringing in 3 or 4 candidates for a position then picking one, Amazon first wants to know if you're a good fit for the company. If you are, then they try and match you with a position that seems to be the best fit. So they are really hiring you for the company more than the specific position. And he also mentioned (as did a few of the other people I talked to), that it is pretty easy to move around within the company if you want a new or different challenge at some point.

The interview day is fairly intense - I met with 7 different people (1:1). The types of questions were similar to what I had experienced in the phone screens. A lot of behavioral type questions: "tell me about a time a project failed... got behind schedule... how did you handle it". They are really looking for how you deal with various situations. There were also some architecture and systems design questions.

My interview day was on Wednesday and they called the following day to offer my a position. Instead of a software development manager, they liked me for a technical program manager position. After looking at the job description, this really did make a lot of sense (I have managed software teams in the past, but also have a lot of project management experience). So I thought they did a good job of matching me to the right position (I talked a lot about project management processes, client management, planning, etc. during the interviews).

All in all, it was a positive experience. One thing I would have changed was the location of the hotel. The travel agent put me outside of city (This was not Amazon's fault). Not being familiar with Seattle, I didn't realize how inconvenient it would be to get around (and I stayed an extra day after the interview to check out the city). I would strongly recommend that if they offer to fly you out and put you up in a hotel, that you make sure to get a room in downtown Seattle. Minor detail - but worth noting.

Interview Question – There was not one question that stood out as being most difficult. I would say just be very prepared to talk about past projects and give specifics about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating the offer as I write this.

SDE-1 Interview

SDE-1
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

Interview Details Campus Hire - presentation - online exam - two rounds - round 1 on C,C++ round 2 on Coding
Short List , Group Discussion of Prog Questions, 80 minutes long interview and good to go. Offer was made. HR interaction

Interview Question – What did you do in your college fest? That was the last question I expected from Amazon.   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Drug test and background test. There was also a questionare on the computer that had to be done. Human resources will then give you a call and let ypu know when you can come in for orientation.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected   View Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Was contacted by recruiter. Took some time but eventually had phone screen with Hiring Manager. Standard behavioral questions along with some questions about Amazon products. Then had second phone screen a week later with another senior marketing leader there, similar questions but was also asked a mini case about an actual amazon situation and how I would approach it, they were looking to see my thought process. After that was contacted a week later by recruiter about going to Seattle for final round interview. Several weeks later went to Seattle for final round interview. Had 6 30-40 minute interviews, mix of behavioral and a couple mini cases in areas of marketing. Took another week to hear back, did not get offer, they did not provide feedback. Not sure if bar raiser was the issue or not. Disappointed I didn't get feedback and also along the way of the whole process was handed off to a different HR person at each stage, not sure if that is normal or not.

Interview Question – What would you do if customers were complaining about feature on Amazon website?   View Answer

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Senior Vendor Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details I had 2 phone calls, so far out of 3. The first two were with people from HR, they were super nice. As soon as they called we jumped into que questions so dont expect to have previous chat or a chance to connect. Questions were pretty standard, questions about my previous job, experiences, why I want to join Amazon, and why I left my previous jobs, what was the most successfull negotiation, and the most difficult analisis, & one question about pricing.

Interview Question – NO case yet.   Answer Question

Operations Manager At A Fulfillment Center Interview

Operations Manager At A Fulfillment Center

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details The initial phone screen was pretty straight forward. The interviewer was reading questions from a checklist and only knew the position I was applying for bit had no clue about the location. At the end of the interview he asked if I had any questions for him but he really couldn't answer anything with any certainty. Keep you answers short and to the point. The interviewer is not really interested. Overall the screening went well. I declined to move further in the process because I was not willing to relocate at the time.

Interview Question – All of the questions with with the exception of a simple math problem to calculate number of man hours to process a certain number of units, were all about leadership. The questions all took the form of "Tell me about a time..."   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Amazon Instant Video Interview

Amazon Instant Video
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details A recruiter reached out and we scheduled a phone interview the following week. This interview was very easy and we immediately scheduled next steps. Next I had an interview with the hiring manager. Every question was very behavioral based, and after each question, there were 2 or 3 follow up related questions. Overall I understand why Amazon chooses to interview this way, however I felt like the process made me more nervous than anything. I don't think I really was able to showcase who I am and how I work on a day to day basis. Both people I interviewed with (the recruiter and hiring manager) were very polite and respectful, however I felt that the whole interview was very impersonal and cold.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time with you had to negotiate with a partner."   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Software Development Engineer III

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter for a different role in January. I talked to the recruiter about the position and submitted my resume and we agreed that my skills would be a better fit for a different role. I had two phone interviews in February and was invited to an on-site in early March.

Interview Question – "Describe a time when you failed (professionally) and what you learned from it".
It's not a hard question, but it caught me off guard. I hadn't interview in about 5 years and had trouble with some of these personality questions.
  Answer Question