Amazon.com Interview Questions

4,944 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brisbane
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I was contacted by the recruiting manager via LinkedIn and asked for my resume and if I am interested in the job. I sent my resume and after 2 days received an email asking for a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was only one technical question and it was to design a media player for a mobile device. I didn't expect it because of what I had read about Amazon interviews in websites.   Answer Question

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

An Amazon recruiter approached if I was interested in this role. As I just wanted to experience their interview process, I said yes. A couple of days later there was a phone screening with 15 minutes of simple technical questions on different areas, namely Linux, Windows, networking and database. She said I answered all well. I was then scheduled for a written 30-minute exam at Amazon a week later. Again the questions were relatively simple technical questions covering 4 areas mentioned above. This was used to gauge our areas of strength.

I passed this and progressed to the third stage of phone screening conducted by an Amazon engineer. The questions were a lot of technical and few scenario questions over 1.5 hours. Once I passed this, I was then asked to attend an half day technical and behavioral question between 5 different interviewers. Each session with the interviewer lasted 45 minutes. There were technical as well as behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • If the enable password of a Cisco device is lost, how to recover.
      About Linux, soft vs hard links, importance of filesystem journalling. Given a text file with mix phone numbers with and without country codes, format it to include a default country code if it is missing.
      Describe in depth an experience handling a difficult cutomer.
        Answer Question

Remuneration package was not as attractive as the current role.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2012.

Six interviews, one day, minimal breaks between. I got the impression that they had crammed the interviews into one day as all the interviewers were in the same City at the same time. I got the impression that this did not always happen and sometimes the hiring process could take up to three Months. In fact, around 2 Months seems usual and thats important if you need a job quickly.

Most candidates are referred by friends or former colleagues, so if you want a job with them, search your LinkedIn connections and ask them for a recommendation - they make $3k if you are successful so generally, people are happy to do it.

Be prepared for a high pressure environment and a remember, they are a casual dressing company, so don't turn up in a suit - that would definitely mark you down. Seriously. Smart casual (no tie, no jacket) is appropriate.

I negotiated another 15% in the base salary

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2013.

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

Continued below

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Brand Manager Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

There were two hour long phone screens, followed by eight in person interviews at the offices in Seattle. The questions were all over the board, but most were behavioral questions asking for examples of how you have responded in certain situations before, and drilling in to your examples as far as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall the exact wording, but they want to know how you have used data to make decisions in the past. Once you give them an example, be prepared to go very far in depth with it. They will ask details that might even seem irrelevant, and the questioning process on that one example can last upto twenty minutes.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

They contacted me for a Hiring event. I had to use a web based tool to solve two questions. The first question was reconstruct a tree according a two dimension array and the second was an ODD problem. I had 60 minutes to solve both questions. The test wasn't very complex but you have to code the most efficients solutions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't very difficult, but before you start is really convenient try the demo question of the web tool.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

One of my friends refers me. Then, I appeared two screening interviews. These interviews have algorithm, data structure, and design questions. After that, I appeared an onsite interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • Among all the interviews, four of them have behavioral questions, like how to manage conflicts. Emphasis on these questions was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and was gives two time slots to choose from for scheduling the interview. It was two telephonic calls of 1 hour each. Both were done using a shared doc. The interviewers were very patient and helpful. Was a pleasant experience though I wasn't given an offer for the position.

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

I received an email from the HR describing the recruiting process. The 1st phone interview is supposed to be based on Amazon values only. However, my interviewer decided otherwise and asked me only job-related questions. This was a pure waste of time. In addition, he did not speak really english really well.