Amazon.com

4,676 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   View Answers (2)

Customer Service Associate (Seller Support) Interview

Customer Service Associate (Seller Support)
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details On seeing an online I went to amazon office in Hyderabad, have to admit the selection process was quiet tough.
Process:
Total 8 rounds:
1. Written(Basic grammar)
2. Personal Intro
3. Listening & Typing (Versant)
4. Listening & speaking (Versant telephonic round)
5. Written (e-mail, aptitude, English, customer service test cases)
6. HR Round
The first 5 rounds took place on the first day and as they said they called me the next day to come to their office and give the interview the day after, after going there I got to know that there is a HR and an operations round and as it is getting late only HR round took place for 30- 45 minutes instead of both.

Interview Question – The questions from the HR are based on your experience, as I was a fresher she asked me the following questions. The HR seems to be a very nice lady.
1. Why amazon?
2. Where do u see yourself after certain span of time?
3. Do you have any backlogs?
4. What do you know about customer service?
--- I didn't answer as I knew nothing. So to make me answer this she asked me the following.
5. What do you expect when you go to a restaurant?
--- As I answered this question she asked me to relate the answer with the 4th question.
and some customer scenarios.
6. How long will you stay with us?
  Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details I had been contacted by a recruiter from Amazon for a job I had applied to about 2 months earlier. She said a new position had opened up and asked if I was still interested. This was for a software development manager.

I had 2 phone screens (1 with the hiring manager, and 1 with a sr. software developer on the team). Nothing too out of the ordinary - some high level architecture questions and some open ended behavioral questions.

I didn't think anything would come from it, but shortly after the second phone screen, they asked if I could fly out to Seattle for in-person interviews (I live right outside of Washington DC). I set that up for the following week (they use a travel agency, so it's pretty straightforward).

The process was very well set up and everyone seemed pretty laid back and professional. The first person I talked for about 30 minutes was an hr manager. He explained that how Amazon interviews is different than most other companies. Instead of bringing in 3 or 4 candidates for a position then picking one, Amazon first wants to know if you're a good fit for the company. If you are, then they try and match you with a position that seems to be the best fit. So they are really hiring you for the company more than the specific position. And he also mentioned (as did a few of the other people I talked to), that it is pretty easy to move around within the company if you want a new or different challenge at some point.

The interview day is fairly intense - I met with 7 different people (1:1). The types of questions were similar to what I had experienced in the phone screens. A lot of behavioral type questions: "tell me about a time a project failed... got behind schedule... how did you handle it". They are really looking for how you deal with various situations. There were also some architecture and systems design questions.

My interview day was on Wednesday and they called the following day to offer my a position. Instead of a software development manager, they liked me for a technical program manager position. After looking at the job description, this really did make a lot of sense (I have managed software teams in the past, but also have a lot of project management experience). So I thought they did a good job of matching me to the right position (I talked a lot about project management processes, client management, planning, etc. during the interviews).

All in all, it was a positive experience. One thing I would have changed was the location of the hotel. The travel agent put me outside of city (This was not Amazon's fault). Not being familiar with Seattle, I didn't realize how inconvenient it would be to get around (and I stayed an extra day after the interview to check out the city). I would strongly recommend that if they offer to fly you out and put you up in a hotel, that you make sure to get a room in downtown Seattle. Minor detail - but worth noting.

Interview Question – There was not one question that stood out as being most difficult. I would say just be very prepared to talk about past projects and give specifics about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating the offer as I write this.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Drug test and background test. There was also a questionare on the computer that had to be done. Human resources will then give you a call and let ypu know when you can come in for orientation.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Interviewed for the research scientist position for the prime air team not exactly sure which role though. Interview process took around 1 month with 2 phone interviews. Had my first phone interview with a research scientist, asked me some basic questions about quadrotors and PID controllers, and one logic/programming question (how to generate a rand4 from rand2 function which is straight forward and then another question about how to generate rand3 from rand2 which is much more complicated and I struggled to find an answer but I ended up figuring out that it has no perfect solution). I would rate the interview as being great with the pressure decreasing with time. We discussed quadrotors and their aerodynamic principles and the interviewer was super nice and very humble as he said couple times I am not an expert in this particular field so he admitted to the things that he know and the things that he does not know.

After 3 days the HR arranged for another phone interview, this time the interviewer had a very thick accent and hard to understand, did not introduce his role just his name, and called me 15 minutes late. Again was asked about my resume and details of what I did and do. No aerodynamic questions this time just simple plain PID controller questions. I felt that the interviewer does not have deep understanding of control systems and he kept asking me the same questions over and over again. For example, he asked me what does the I term do in a PID controller like 3 different times. Overall the second interviewer wasn't as friendly as the first one and kinda arrogant.

Interview Question – None, questions were straight forward and easy.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details I din't reach the interview round. I was not able to clear the first round mainly because of online coding as I was not in touch of that.
Other then that there were 20 MCQ which were pretty basic concepts of DS and algorithms.
So do prepare on an online coding site like code chef,hacker rank

Interview Question – Online coding question : Do the vertical sum of all the axis.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details There's usually very little information from the recruiters on interview process or the groups that is taking the interview. Generally this info can be obtained from the interviewers.
There were 2 phone interviews, both last for about an hour. Most questions were generic about algorithms and data structures etc. Nothing specific on any language or OS.
After a long 3 week wait there was an invitation for in house interview. That too took 2 weeks to schedule, but no big deal.
The in house interview lasted for about 4 or so hours. There's some new wave of interviewing called behavioral interviews. I don't understand it, but I seriously doubt its working OR the interviews know what to ask and how to interpret. Of course I'm sure they are trained, but not everybody learns what the non-techie expects techies to learn.

Interview Question – Design kind of questions are usually difficult questions. Mainly because they are hypothetical situations and not necessarily straight forward design. Of course the interviewer is always ready to help, but they have already prepared for it. We have to think and come up with some answer is next 5-15 minutes, to even start a discussion. That part is usually difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview Details I had 3 interviews with the company, the first one was a phone interview with the recruiter. It lasted about 20 minutes and was a basic first screening in which I had to explain my background and experience. The second was a phone interview with the recruiting manager (the category manager). This interview lasted about 1 hours and was very behavioral. The interviewer asked extensively about the projects I worked on, what were my reactions to specific work situations and also asked case based questions to understand my approach to solving specific problems. The last interview was with a future team member (another senior product manager), this was very similar to the 1st interview with the recruiter. The next stage would have been to fly me in for a day at the HQs for 6 face to face interviews but I did not make it to this last stage.

Interview Question – How would you determine the best location of our next warehouse.   Answer Question

SDE-1 Interview

SDE-1
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2012.

Interview Details Campus Hire - presentation - online exam - two rounds - round 1 on C,C++ round 2 on Coding
Short List , Group Discussion of Prog Questions, 80 minutes long interview and good to go. Offer was made. HR interaction

Interview Question – What did you do in your college fest? That was the last question I expected from Amazon.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Catalogue Associate Interview

Catalogue Associate
Coimbatore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details There were 5 rounds in the hiring process

1. The first one was extempore talk. They gave us a topic and we had to speak for a minute. English fluency is tested through this round.

2. The second was aptitude test. The focus was on verbal and logical reasoning. The questions were very easy.

3. Third round was essay writing.

4. Fourth round was one to one with HR. It was something like a personal interview. They checked the confidence level, english fluency and one's capability.

5. Fifth round was again another 1 to 1 HR interview, where few logical questions were asked.

Interview Question – Nothing. The questions were very easy.   Answer Question