Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Interview

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions

• What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   1 Answer
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   3 Answers
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   2 Answers
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
      // return index 1&3

4 Answers

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied on indeed.com got email from a recruiter that asked a few questions why do you want to change jobs etc. next I received a email stating they wanted to have phone interview. Once I had the phone interview got an email from the recruiter saying they were interested in the face to face interview. I accepted went to the interview and was asks behavioral questions which I don't think is a very fair way of interviewing but that's they're method. Once the interview was done I was escorted out by hr manager. She said they would call because they were looking to fill immediately. Later that day I logged into my amazon profile and found out that I was not selected for the position although I had more than the experience for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you strongly disagreed with your manager on something that was really important to the company. What was it about and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Very professional and organized process. Recruiting people are great. First a phone call from the recruiter. Second a 30 min interview with a director, pretty high level, and then another interview with a TPM which is more detailed.
    I was then invited to travel to the HQ in Seattle for a marathon of 5 interviews, with TPMs and Directors, four of them 1:1 and one 2:1.
    You can tell they interview a lot of people, some interviewers tried to show some interest others were in auto-pilot mode, asking the same questions and getting the same answers for the hundredth time can sure be boring.
    In the end, all folks very professional, doing their job, but I did miss some small talk, non-scripted talk, maybe 5 minutes after each interview, where you get to know the people better. I left with the impression that I talked to 6 machines that were programmed to ask questions and drilling them down to the core.
    From the Glassdoor reviews I learned that only one in four candidates who come to this stage get an offer letter, so I already knew my chances were slim. Anyways I flew over to gain experience and improve my interview game. Also I got to know the company and it's people, on which I don't think I would fit in.

Interview Questions

• Can not specify a question due to NDA, but there are many questions about past projects and request to solution some problem. Nothing too exotic, however on interview #4 or #5 I confess I got sick and tired of talking the same things over and over. Incidentally the more important interviews are the last ones, maybe on purpose :) But at that point I already knew I did not want to be an Amazonian.   Answer Question

Interview

One of my friends refers me. Then, I appeared two screening interviews. These interviews have algorithm, data structure, and design questions. After that, I appeared an onsite interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions

• Among all the interviews, four of them have behavioral questions, like how to manage conflicts. Emphasis on these questions was unexpected.   Answer Question

Interview

Four rounds in total. Every rounds was consist of one behavior question and one technical algorithm questions. The algorithm questions included linkedlist, hashmap and graph search. Every interviewee talked a lot about what they do in their teams.

Interview Questions

• Not exactly as the problems I prepared before the interview.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Interview

I am still early (and hopefully will continue) in the process. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume. I did see them at a job fair, but didn't talk to them at the time as I didn't think I was moving to a location where they have a DC.
    The recruiter sent me an email questionnaire with basic questions (which others have described).
    I didn't think I would hear back from them after a week or 10 days went by, but then I got an email about a day and time for a phone interview.

What I did appreciate was the phone interview was with the Sr. Ops Manager at the location I wanted to work at. From what I have read, this isn't the normal experience.

The phone interview lasted about 45 min.
    First she told me about herself, and her career with Amazon.
    Then she asked me to walk her through my resume.
    Next, she talked about the Amazon leadership principles and said the rest of the interview would be based on 3 of these with one math problem.
    The questions were all behavioral (give me an example of a time when...) and related to the Amazon leadership principles of Teach, Think, and Deliver. There are more principles, but those were the 3 that I was asked to speak to.
    After that, she asked me to solve a production output problem. (Also on here in a previous review).

As others have stated, it was very script based and she stuck to her part. There were a couple time where she asked me to explain something a little deeper.

Oh, she also did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses and specifics about how many people I have had to lead in past positions.

Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well. She said I'd hear from the recruiter in 2-3 days (one way or the other), and although I haven't heard anything yet...based on the previous response time I don't think that means anything. It's been 5 business days...and I will contact the recruiter tomorrow and will update this appropriately.

UPDATE

After my phone interview, I waited about a week (or 10 days) and then heard from the recruiter that I had been invited to an in-person on-site interview. I was invited out to a regional event. There were 16 people there 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. We were all interviewing for area manager but not all at the same location. Also, there are several Area managers per shift and several shifts...so your not exactly competing against everyone there. Maybe a few, but not all.

The on-site interview included travel to the location. Security it tight, so be early. We also got a tour of the facility. It was VERY impressive to see.

The process began with a math production flow problem. (If you look at other posts, you will find it). Be sure to understand the problem since in one interview they will change something in the problem and ask you for the new answer.

There are 4 (45 min) interviews with 4 different people. Mine were 3 Sr. Ops Managers and 1 HR manager.

Mine ended up back-to back - to back - to back.... to 3 hrs straight. Most of the others had short breaks in between.

All the interviewers were really nice, gave a bit about their backgrounds and left time to answer questions.
    All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. I didn't follow the format too formally, just told stories that covered the elements. All questions are related to Amazon leadership principles in some way. Just think about what principle the question is asking about. I prepared 2-3 stories (examples) that related to each. That way I had plenty to talk about for 3 hours. I did use some of the same examples in multiple interviews...but not many.

It is important to be able to use quantifiable results in your examples.

Overall, I left feeling pretty good about the interview. I received a call the next day from the recruiter letting my know that they were going to offer me a position. About a week later, I received the formal offer letter. The offer was about what I was expecting. Base salary + bonus + stock. The numbers were about what I thought they would be bases on my research and initial conversations.

Ultimately, I declined the offer for another position. Nothing against Amazon, but I choose another career path outside of operations.
    It was a good experience, but fairly difficult interview process. If I hadn't have received a second offer while still considering the Amazon offer, I would have accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• (Unexpected) Role play during in-person interview:
      You have an at-will associate who is constantly late and is under performing. This is their last chance to turn things around. What do you say to them to motivate them?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An online test was conducted. there were around 20 mcqs based on c and c++. 2 coding questions were also there. then very few students were selected for the interview round. questions based on data structures were asked. the entire procedure took two days and you have a better chance of placement if your relative or friend is working there.

Interview Questions

• all the inputs for the coding question were given in the form of string.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I had resume referred through a friend. HR was quick to contact and schedule a phone interview. 2 Phone interviews followed by onsite interview which had 5 rounds of technical interviews. The whole process was very good though quite tiring.

Interview Questions

• Given a maze, find all paths from entry to exit.   1 Answer

Interview

In one word - INTENSE! Process started with a couple of phone interviews which were behavioral questioning centric. After the second phone interview, I was scheduled for a face to face round robin interview session with five different people at the Huntington VA office. I was provided with a detailed schedule of the days events to include interview start time and names of everyone I would be interviewing with. According to my schedule the interview was supposed to begin at 8:00am so I arrived at 7:40 to make sure I was early only to have my interviewer show up at 8:30 - not a great start. Each interviewer had a set number of behavioral questions which they disclosed - bad idea, If you let the interviewee know how many questions you are going to ask and then ask less - it's a clear message that they interview isn't going well. I was thankful for the opportunity and still think Amazon is a great company.

Interview

You have to absolutely make sure that you prepare thoroughly before you do the online assessment, you study up on your fundamentals. All questions are data structure algorithm type questions. I would get one of those prep books for technical interviews. Make sure you are at a secluded place when you take the test. Those are my abominable mistakes. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• I respect the NDA that I signed. Fundamental coding questions is all I can say.   Answer Question