Amazon.com Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
4,807 interviews

3.3

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Amazon recruiters contacted me after finding my LinkedIn profile, and asked me to interview for a Principal TPM position. I wasn't really intending on considering the position (as I lived in Boston) but I figured it would be good to get the experience. She arranged for a phone screen with another principal TPM a week later.

The first phone screen was primarily a discussion of my background. The interviewer had me walk him through my career, focusing on responsibilities, challenges faced, and how I handled situations. The interviewer said another phone screen would follow up a week later.

The second phone screen was also with a Principal TPM. This time we focused on lots of "how would you handle this situation" type of questions, and then requests to relate it to previous work experiences. At the conclusion the interviewer stated he would like me to come to Seattle to take an in-person interview. This was right around Christmas, so I asked for a few weeks to figure out my holiday schedule.

Before my in-person interview, another recruiter called and informed me that there is a writing assignment I would need to complete before the in-person interview. He emailed me with instructions and three scenarios from which to choose to write a 2-4 page paper. The options were all "tell us about a time where..." situational questions. The actual answer to the question is only used to seed follow-up questions in-person; the real intent of the assignment is to assess your ability to organize and communicate thoughts clearly and concisely.

I flew in the week before Christmas, arriving Sunday night/Monday morning around 1am. They put me up at a hotel a few blocks from the interview site. I wore a suit (don't bother, it's casual... slacks and a polo is plenty dressed), and arrived at 9.45 for a 10am interview.

The first interviewer came and got me promptly at 10. She introduced herself (a TPM), and then took me to a conference room where we had a more-or-less typical situational-style interview. "Tell me about a time where..." questions, nothing too tough.

The second interviewer was a manager of product managers, and he focused on questions about how to recognize and recover from situations where plans have gotten off track. This was another interview where

The third interviewer was a software development manager, and his interview was definitely the most unexpected and surreal of the day. He started by asking me what business Amazon should invest in next. Based on my answer, we spent the next hour exploring every aspect of my answer... why that particular idea, how to implement it (down to the nuts & bolts), business considerations, etc. The style was very confrontational. This interview was designed to see how quickly I could think on my feet, how rational my answers would be, and how I would handle direct challenges and refutation.

The fourth interviewer was a product manager. He took me down to the cafe where we grabbed lunch and ate during the interview (hate that). We primarily discussed the proper metrics to gather and correct ways to analyze data in different situations with regards to making business decisions. I think the goal of this interview was to assess critical thinking skills and business acumen.

The fifth interviewer was a Principal TPM (whom I later found out was the hiring manager, and who is now my boss). This interview was all about technology -- how to design distributed systems, problems that become emergent at massive scale, REST principles, etc. This interview was designed to smoke out folks who don't have a deep understanding of (and passion for) technology.

The sixth interviewer wasn't really an interview, it was the recruiter who coordinated my process. She checked in to see how I was doing, did I have any of the standard process questions, etc. Short conversation.

The seventh (final) interviewer turned out to be the VP who later made me an offer of employment. This was more of a philosophical conversation than an interview, where we discussed Amazon principles and culture. He clearly wanted to ensure I knew what Amazon is like, and to make sure I would be a good cultural fit (a lot of people aren't).

Since the interview lasted all day Amazon gave me a second night in the hotel room, where I was able to shower and grab a few drinks before flying back to Boston at 11pm. By the time I got back in my car on the east coast the next morning the recruiter called with a provisional offer. The VP (final interviewer) called me a few days later with compensation and relocation details. I was given a week to make my decision.

I accepted the offer, and the VP explained that I would have to start by 6 January (less than 2 weeks away, and right after the holiday season) in order to qualify for the yearly stock grant (very important). So, they allowed me to fly out to orientation and then return to gather my things a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate up on salary and signing bonus.

Warehouse Worker Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2010.

Too easy, I went in there with shorts and a pretty much and open top not expecting to interview that day but I breezed through everything I was only 18 when I interviews and got hired on the spot. That is why I say they hire just about anyone.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I applied at a software development engineer for Amazon Web Service, in Dublin. Initial contact was by email, all nice and well, and they told me they will send me a "coding challenge" at a given date (still by email) to complete in one hour. Fair enough, I've heard of those before, it's usually a strictly algorithmic problem to solve in the language of your choice, and this one was no exception (see below)

Came the big day, I sat ready in front of my computer, and... nothing. They forgot to sent it. I had to call to remind them. Okay, this is the kind of thing that happens. Anyway, I completed the challenge, with a working solution, maybe not the most optimal, I admit, but working nonetheless and in time.

After that, no answer from them, not even an acknowledgement they received it. Days, then weeks have passed : obviously, they give you one hour to do the code, but allow themselves unlimited time to have a look at it. I tried to contact them again, with no avail. I'm not the kind of person who harass people on the phone/mail, so I gave up. I'm not that desperate for a job.

In the end, I'm really disappointed by the lack of professionalism, especially from a big company that boasts being constantly on the edge. It's like they didn't care.

Interview Questions
    • You have an array of integer and a target number, give all the possible combinations that sum up to the target.   Answer Question

Technical Support Tech Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I was first contacted by e-mail and was asked for an initial phone interview, which would be then scheduled by Amazon in the next two weeks. I've got a call and we talked for about 30-40 minutes. One week later, they said that they would conduct an in-depth, "in person" interview. However, the "in person" interview was transformed into a video conference, which was finally downgraded to a lengthy (3+ hrs) phone interview, talking with several people of the Amazon staff, one person at a time.

Some of the people who effectively talked to me were not the people who were enlisted to make the interview. I found this somewhat strange, since everyone's agenda should had been discussed and agreed upon previously; anyway, since we're talking about IT operations, unexpected events do always happen and people might be unavailable.

Moreover, I found strange that there were many people from Amazon's IT infrastructure on the interview, even for a position where I would be performing back-office and desktop support. And I think that at least one person that would be working at the same site I'd stay (in São Paulo, Brazil) should also be part the interviewing process, since this person would know at first hand what are the challenges and particularities of working here. It was not the case, since everyone which I talked with were based on the northern hemisphere.

The interview went well, and I answered all the proposed questions that the interviewers had posed me. Two weeks later, I just received an answer saying that "after careful consideration they would not make an offer that time". With no reasons or explanations. I understand that, after a 3+ hours interview over a (bad) phone connection, I would deserve at least some elaboration on this.

Interview Questions
    • At the first phone call, I was asked if I would rather end the process at that point for applying to a position more aligned to my previous work experiences or if would prefer first trying to enter Amazon and then, once inside, work towards a position more consistent with my career.   View Answer

Brand Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was reached out to by a sourcing recruiter, who said she had found a great opening for me if I was interested. I spoke with her informally first, then had a first round with one team member, followed by a second round with a higher ranking team member.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing specifically difficult. Make sure you know the core Amazon principles though!   Answer Question

Content Strategist Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was recruited by an Amazon recruiter who found my resume online. Thought I was a little skeptical (I didn't have some of the requirements like an MBA), the recruiter said I could interview with a potential team member in the next few days, so I thought, "why not?" They sent me a 6-page writing test and asked me to fill it out prior. The phone interview lived up to Amazon's reputation. The interviewer didn't ask me anything about myself or describe the job. It was a 50 minutes barrage of intense interview questions, poking holes into answers trying to weed out weakness. When I would give broad examples, they would interrupt to ask specifics, which was hard to do because my current job is very entrenched in internal process. At the beginning, the interviewer explained that they would ask me a question, then mute the phone while I answered and they typed. This might've been a tactic--without any back-and-forth, I certainly rambled on more than normal. The interviewer was considerate and left 10 minutes for my questions, though I hardly knew where to start as they had given almost no insight into the position. I asked a few questions they had trouble answering. As a hiring manager myself, I don't think my questions were too challenging. All in all, it was very good practice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a decision without informing your manager. What was the result?   View Answer

Software Development Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I heard of the job through a recruiter, who at the time did not give me a good description of what the role was. The recruiters I worked with were more than nice, and accommodated my schedule. They even provided general background topics to brush up on.

The topics they provided were more along the lines of a software engineer rather than that of a DevOps candidate (implementation of hash tables, breadth-first search and common algorithms in Java, c++, etc...).

The interview process was not painful at all. The hiring manager I spoke with was a really nice guy and comfortable with causal conversation and idle chit-chat. He proposed a problem, explained it, and clarified any questions I had as I worked though the issue. After being done informed me how he'd approach the scenario given his chosen tool sets.

Interview Questions
    • Parse the first column of a CSV using bash.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

1. One simple data structure question, find the first common of two linked list.
    2. OODesign: design a furniture shop.

Interview Questions
    • Design a furniture shop. I am not familar with OOD then.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in august 2014.

Interview was good and make sure you have good understanding of TCP/IP and routing protocols.

behaviour questions were excellent. loved the whole process.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions
    • 2 phone screens and brought to onsite. Interview questions are very in-depth.   Answer Question

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coppell, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coppell, TX (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Received an email instructing me to schedule an interview. I actually missed the first email but received a second one. During the interview the lady mostly told me about Amazon and said the positions they were hiring for were seasonal but they may ask some to stay on permament. They were starting at $10.75 regardlss of your experience.

Interview Questions
    I have not negotiated anything. I was sent a congrats letter and told that I would recieve more information when my drug test and background check was back.