Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted for a 30 minute informational session where I was asked a series of questions about my job duties at my previous position. The interviewer was very nice. I get the feeling they are more interested in finding out if you are good culture fit with the company as much as seeing if you are qualified. I had applied for over 20 positions at amazon using their outline applications which makes it very easy.

Interview Question – They gave me 6 different job duties (example includes meetings, managing employees, communications, strategy, etc) and had me break it down by percentage.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Phone interview, then on-site interview. it was easy. I found it quite easy, understanding, helpful, legimate, not-forcefull, helped to releave. It could be more and more and more and even more effecient but it couldn't be more than ever in the field of the area without considering everything that they could offer to people who helped a lot on the field in the area.

Interview Question – find the minimum value   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Was contacted by recruiter. Took some time but eventually had phone screen with Hiring Manager. Standard behavioral questions along with some questions about Amazon products. Then had second phone screen a week later with another senior marketing leader there, similar questions but was also asked a mini case about an actual amazon situation and how I would approach it, they were looking to see my thought process. After that was contacted a week later by recruiter about going to Seattle for final round interview. Several weeks later went to Seattle for final round interview. Had 6 30-40 minute interviews, mix of behavioral and a couple mini cases in areas of marketing. Took another week to hear back, did not get offer, they did not provide feedback. Not sure if bar raiser was the issue or not. Disappointed I didn't get feedback and also along the way of the whole process was handed off to a different HR person at each stage, not sure if that is normal or not.

Interview Question – What would you do if customers were complaining about feature on Amazon website?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied through a friend whose team was hiring in Seattle Area. They called me up and we had a brief chat about setting up the interview.

Once the interview was setup I got a call from them on a Friday and the interview process lasted 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes, it was that bad.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a class and an object.   Answer Question

Web Development Engineer II Interview

Web Development Engineer II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details Hr Contacted me through LinkedIn, take the phone interview. Asked me about best practices of Web Development and my background. Later on we went into code questions, they were simple jQuery and CSS3 questions but I was writing to fast and made some mistakes. On the other hand I think I talked too much that was definitely negative effect on interview.

Interview Question – On phone interview there was no challenging question. Just get prepared basic concepts.   Answer Question

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Recruitment Coordinator

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I found amazon to be a very hard company to get an interview with unless you have an MBA or have someone internally refer you. I was fortunate enough to have an interview as I was internally referred, The process is long (normally 2 phone interviews and then a 'day' of interviews in the office). I made it to the 2nd phone interview but did not get any further as I did not have the specific experience they were looking for.

Interview Question – The questions are very specific to their 14 leadership principles. So make sure you have answers prepared with examples that relate to these leadership principles which can be found on their website.   Answer Question

Security Operations Manager Interview

Security Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Send an email in early June 2014 to apply for this role and gotten a reply only last week for a phone interview. But when the interview took place, the interviewer didn't care to ask much question but only focus on asking do you know how to do access control scripting? I did ask him for elaboration but he didn't elaborate further and the interview end in 15 minutes. It was very annoying and also felt insulted of my 17 years in experiences in Security.

Interview Question – There wasn't much question asked and therefore, nothing difficult was being asked.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Program Manager II Interview

Program Manager II
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details The interviewing process is very well organized. You will have your first contact with the HR representative, then you will have a screening interview with either the hiring manager or a senior peer. Then you'll be asked to submit samples of your work. You will be brought to the location you're supposed to work for an in-person interview. The team of interviewers consist of hiring manager, peers and a senior manager. You will be interviewed for about 4 hours and it's a behavioral interview based on the leadership principles of Amazon. Each interviewer usually interviews you based on 2 leadership principles. So, do your homework and research on the leadership skills. If will be evaluated based on your skills and if you will be able to raise the bar. The process is almost flawless and you need to be prepared with good examples and how you made an impact on the companies you worked for. And please don't wear a suit as people will find it very odd. Dress business casual for your interview as the environment is super casual.

Interview Question – If you are interviewing for a SDE position, you will be required to pass a programming test. Other teams also give candidates some sort of test related to the job you're applying. The questions are based on the STAR model, being Situation/Task/Actions/ Results. Here is a sample hard question: "Tell me about time you had to learn something outside your comfort zone in order to drive results for your organization or to adapt to a change in the market, organization or other catalyst."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your vacation up front and see if you can get additional vacation time. Get as much money on your way in because once you start working, your raises will be miniscule.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details First interview was verbal at job fair. Questions involved properties about data structures/algorithms, such as hashing tables. Second interview was more technical, and was divided into two parts (two separate interviewers). It involved graph theory, and white-boarding in Java. Best help is to review something like Cracking the Code Interview beforehand.

Interview Question – Most difficult question involved graphs.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details This is PM for operations/logistics systems. Three rounds phone interviews, each of one hour. 20-30% behavioral questions + 70-80% case interviews.Cases may not be directly linked to this position, such as how to price Amazon Prime, how to manage the capacity of the warehouse (what factors you need to know, what are the relations between these factors, how to get these data, etc)., why sell neg profit margin goods. Overall, to answer them well, you need to have some knowledge of microeconomics, economical theory of organization, and maybe operations/logistics (I'm not sure. this is not my major). Then you need to be very logical.

The intervals between three rounds are half a month and a month! The most dramatic part is that I was forgotten/overlooked after being told the third round feedback was good. After my tenacious try to get connected with HR, the final on-site interview was scheduled in Seattle two months after.

four back-to-back interviews, totally three+ hours. Similarly, 60% of the time was case interviews. They asked many details and questioned my solutions. But I think this is a good way to test the logic and way of thinking of the candidates. 40% time were about behavioral questions and prior experiences. Due to NDA, I can't disclose specific questions. But one question already asked during phone interview (also listed above) was mentioned by three of them.

Because my English is not that good and I am not quite interested (so I didn't prepare much), I didn't perform well on site. Thank you letter was received upon inquiry one week later, because HR, again, forgot to send it out.

Interview Question – Your weakness (it's said this kind of question is just for interviewers to get a good reason to decline you)   Answer Question