Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
4,872 Interview Reviews

3.3

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Phone Screen - Discussed my projects, problems solved, typical day, etc
    How will you launch Kindle in a new country

In-house - 4 rounds
    Design Amazon home page
    Describe most complex and challenging project. - architecture, problems, design discussions, etc
    Resolving a conflict
    Managing timelines and deliverables when people do not report to you

Picker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Simple phone call, I would not even call it an interview. . . They asked if i could stand and walk for 10 hours and if I was able to lift 50 pounds. The only interview-ish question was "why do you want to work for amazon?" That was pretty much it. After that I was scheduled a direct-hire event, which was not for another month almost.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied online at amazonfulfillmentcareers.com for the new fulfillment center that just opened up in Moreno Valley, CA. Received a few emails over the following 3 weeks pertaining to the hiring process, videos and information about what it's like to work at an Amazon Fulfillment Center and when the company would begin hiring. Finally received an email inviting me to set up an interview appointment date which all dates available wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. So I picked the closest date possible and received a confirmation email a few minutes later with information on a Direct Hire Event they were having at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Riverside and what I should bring to the event (government issued I.D. and proof of education). Went to the hotel, followed the amazon signs which led me to about 4 tables with Amazon employees where I checked in, gave them my I.D. and P.O.E and was handed a congratulatory offer of employment, which was contingent upon successfully passing the drug test and background check, of course. They were some other people there who also received an offer of employment and the took us to a room where they discussed information on where we would be working, benefits, pay and we completed our drug test. Was told that we should receive the results of our drug test and background checks by email between 7-14 days. Did all of this within the span of an hour and we were all out the door. Easiest process I've gone through for a job and definitely the best company I've ever worked for by far.

No Negotiation

Production Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Whole process was across 2 months. 2 phone calls, 2 weeks apart. And then an in house multi interview session, total of 5 people, across 5hrs.

All behavioural questions as many have stated here. Very predictable in that sense - and GD proved to be a valuable resource. None of these questions were repeated except in a generalised manner, so not sure how they can determine discrepancies. Nothing out of the ordinary really though and not alot of deep diving; which is what I had prepared for.

There wasn't much particular interest in what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what they were expecting from me. I relate that to the idea that you must always be mindful to 'interview' them. I didn't feel as inspired as anticipated and with hindsight that probably didn't reflect well.

Overall, I have to say I didn't get a tremendous amount of zeal or excitement from the individuals I met.

They pride them selves on the 'unique' interview style - it was pretty intense but not too exhausting. I attempted to have enough questions to ask...and asking the same question of different people was interesting.

Of course, I thought that I was perfectly qualified and the right type of person - they told me as much. But I was rejected. Go figure.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Submit the resume online and got an email about the phone screen next day. Do not have enough time to prepare. One question is not expected but the second call has the easy questions. The second interviewer is very nice. Questions like print odd and even number. Find duplicate number in an array. Wait for two weeks or more and no reply from Amazon. I sent an email about the interview then got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Write the function to decide if two dates are within 30 days or more.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Applied online through their career website. Got an email from the recruiter the next day. She set up an online timed coding assessment. The questions were:

1) Given an int number in bits, format it into exactly 3 digits (with a decimal) and add a G for gigs, M for megabytes K for kilobytes and B for bytes.
    2) Given two arrays of integers, create a third array with the element in each position in the first array multiplied by every element in the second array except for the element at the same index in the second array.

Passed that. On to phone screen. Questions straight out of Cracking the Coding Interview (book):

1) Rotate a 2D array 90 degrees clockwise, in-place without using a second 2D array
    2) Design a chat server

Flew out to Amazon in Seattle:

First Interview) Given an array of integers sorted in ascending order, return a list of all elements that have the difference of 2 (for example 2 and 4, or 5 and 7).
    Second Interview) Behavioral. Tell me about the most challenging task. Hardest bug.
    ...Lunch break
    Third Interview) Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.
    Fourth Interview) Given a sorted array, return a set of all ranges in the array. For example [0,1,2,4,6,7,8] has ranges 0-2, 4-4, and 6-8.
    Fifth interview) Design a furniture store. (It was very hard to understand the girl interviewing me, not because she had bad english, but because she just wasn't able to articulate what she was asking. She was obviously new and nervous).
    Sixth interview) Design an airplane tracking system.

Got an email the next week (Interview was Friday, got email following Wednesday) that I did well with the simple solutions and got everything right, but struggled with the more difficult solutions, which I should have gotten easily given my years of experience. So no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

One technical phone screen, had to write some code using a shared text editor.

Proceeded to onsite technical interview with 4 different people. Every interviewer asked 1 to 2 technical questions that involved writing code on the board.

Transaction Risk Investigator Interview

One face to face interview they basically want to test your speaking skills.
    Written english test. They check your grammar.
    An online logical test.

Personal interview... Easy. Friendly HR.
    Easy process.
    One should be good in english.... Especially grammar.

Interview Questions
    • Please make sure that you want to relocate   View Answer

I could not move. Salary was less.

Account Executive - Amazon Local Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Headhunter contacted me via email. Then came a phone interview that was pretty simple and painless. They flew me up to Seattle based on my experience. From there it was a two hour interview (a 30 minute round-robin interview with 4 different interviewers).

Interview Questions
    • One of the sessions was a simulation. Expect the unexpected during this. They will test your sales skills. Do not take no for an answer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
    • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answer
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15