Amazon.com Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
4,801 interviews

3.3

Collator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

3 interviews two of them are the same as the t1 positions done by the average t1 person. The 3rd is done by a Sr management team member of an opposite function than this position reports to.
    Nothing major here, a few situation questions some mathematical questions. its mainly to see how you can handle situations nothing more.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation, all salaries are corporate set for each location.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2010.

Had to go thru a temp-service initially. Had to basically understand and write english. The interview was basic questions about yourself then why you would like to work for Amazon. They would ask where you would like to work like packing, picking, ect. Then discuss the shift of your choice. Once at the company as long as performance and attendance were met you could get converted as a full-time Amazon employee.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to walk 10 - 15 miles a day?   View Answer
    work schedule and area of work preference

Operations Manager Interview

Interview Process was very difficult if you are not prepared. All of the questions are behavioral based which require detailed answers based on the STAR method. Prior to this interview, I had never heard of the STAR method. Typical questions, Tell me a time when....

Interview Questions
    • During the initial phone interview, I was caught off guard when I was asked to work a math problem.   Answer Question

Technical Support Technical Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Email communication led me to believe that my phone interview would discuss items from my resume. I enlisted the help of a friend to test my interview skills, we even practiced on the phone to ensure my voice loudness / quality would be acceptable.

Interview Questions
    • When the phone interview began is when I learned that it would be a technical interview not a behavioral interview. Additionally, when I was asked to rate my skills on a scale of 1 to 10, the interviewer commented that my rating was too high (I think I said 8 thinking that I wouldn't hire anyone who said they were a 7 or below).   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions
    • What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I applied online in June 2014, and got a phone call interview with HR person 1. Phone call interview was about data-structures, sorting algorithms, and OOP. I had 2 questions to code on collabedit. Interviewer was nice and he was giving me constant hints.

After a few days, I got a on-site interview email by another HR person 2 to arrange my interview with developers. Before by interview I was asked to do a preparatory call with the HR person 3. I was schedule a time for call with HR person 3. I never got a call at the allocated time slot. Later in the day, I received an email from HR Person 2 that I HR person 3 is unavailable and she will call you another time. I wasn't too impressed with this. I finally got another call from HR person 3 and she didnt seem much interested - she seemed like she wanted to hang up asap.

On-site interview had 4 back to back interviews with developers and managers, 45 mins each. Developers were nice. Managers not so much. Some behavioral questions.

Questions included: Merge two sorted lists, OOP of a website with videos and users uploading videos, Sort two arrays, HashMap run times, Linked List merge. I answered all the questions correctly(or it seemed). Developers and managers didnt give me any feedback or hints when I was working on the questions.

I waited a week to hear back from HR person 3. After a week, I emailed HR person 2, HR person 3 called me firstly apologizing that she wasn't able to get back to me earlier, and later she said that I was not selected, and I should keep applying for another team. I am not sure what that means. Will I even get selected again?

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Applied though Amazon website, I was contacted by the recruiter at Amazon who arranged a telephonic interview. Two telephonic interviews one with Software Development Manager and other with Software Engineer.

First telephonic interview was generally around my past experience both technical and behavioral mostly "tell me about the time questions.." questions. I was asked about a project I was really proud of and high level architecture of the project. I took the Situation Action Response approach for all my answers. Keeping in the leadership principles in mind and focusing on them in my answer's. I asked a few times if I needed to go into details (I was ignored) I believe they have a set of questions and they just run through them.

Second round of interview was scheduled with Senior Software Development Manager but instead a Software Engineer called - so it turned out to be a technical interview - again it was mainly on the architecture of my current project and than follow up questions on why we are doing things in certain way I did reply to all of his questions when it was 3 mins remaining he asked me to write a code to implement a stack. I took time here as I wrote the sudo code (dint need it but I dint want to spoil it for me), I told him I am writing the sudo code first. I wrote the code and read it out I believe he was happy with it. I apologized we over ran the allocated time. The guy who called me sounded really cool and relaxed. His questions were impressive.

It took about a week for them to let me know the answer in each instance I did follow up after a week. I don't really get the reason for rejection. I have emailed the recruiter but I don't think they will reply. The whole 2 interview took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I did not think any questions were difficult everything was common sense. Below are some questions I was asked.
      1) Tell me about a project that you are proud of
      2) What matrix did you use to determine the success?
      3) Tell me about instances where you had most difficult time with people management.
      4) How did you work with a low performer with was the outcome?
      5) Did you have to fire anyone?
      6) What are the disadvantages of Agile?
      7) What is the high level architecture of your current project?
      8) Have you implemented a project from scratch how did it go? High level architecture.
      9) Implement stack in any language.
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

It is a campus interview so basically they came to our university during a showcase and after that they organized the interview. I was contacted by phone and instructed to sign up for a time slot on our school's career center website. It contains three rounds of interview and the interviewers are nice guys.

Interview Questions
    • Given the data of users' activities on our website(e.g. what link they clicked), write a program that predicates the next page a user will visit based on his current page.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter via email to interview for a SDE position during a hiring event in Boston. I had an initial phone call with the recruiter, who put me in touch with a scheduler. The scheduler set me up for a phone interview, which was a live-coding interview.

# Phone Interview #
    There were a few questions about my resume (the one they had was four years out of date!) but the majority of this interview was technical. The questions were pretty basic and focused on general algorithmic knowledge. I only remember the last task, which involved Fibonacci sequence generation. There were several steps after this that involved optimizing the solution. Once finished, the interviewer gave me a chance to ask questions about Amazon.

Shortly after the phone interview, I was contacted by the team recruiter who informed me that they'd like me to come in for an on-site interview. I made a point to discuss my resume being four years out of date, but was told this would not be a problem. I was given a list of times and asked to pick a handful that worked best for me. Once that was taken care of, I was given a rundown of the position (salary range, relocation package, benefits, etc.) Onsite interview specifics were explained to me and the onsite was set to take place a couple weeks later.

# Onsite Interview #
    A schedule was given to me a few days before the onsite interview that outlined who I'd be interviewing with (name and title,) and at what time. The format was 4 interviews at 45 minutes each, all in the same room, all technical in nature. I arrived early, and waited in the lobby for an interviewer to come meet me and take me to the interview room. Once other candidates arrived, there weren't enough chairs for everyone in the lobby, so the receptionist had to run and get some office chairs from somewhere else in the building. After waiting for a short period (maybe 20 or so minutes,) my first interviewer met me in the lobby, got me a visitor badge, and we headed over to the interview room.

I won't get specific about the questions from the onsite interview (NDA, more on that later,) but I will say that they follow a basic template. First few questions are scripted behavioral questions, everything else is technical. I was required to write code for every interview (even those with managers.) All of the interviewers were explicitly *not* strict regarding syntax, with the exception of the bar raiser. I was also asked architectural and design questions. I got along well with everyone but the bar raiser, who succeeded in ruffling my feathers a bit. All of the interviews were completed with enough time for me to ask the interviewer questions except for the bar raiser, whose interview I didn't wrap up in time. Every interviewer had my outdated resume and asked me about my experience listed. This meant I had to update each about the last 4 years of my professional life (which contained directly relevant experience.)

After the final interview, I was escorted to the elevators after being told multiple times that I'd hear back from someone within 3 days. Overall, the campus felt very sterile and almost prison-like. What I did see of the office was bland and unappealing (no art on the walls, nothing distinguishing peoples' desks, nothing to suggest that people even work there.) I was only ever offered water, and was at no point allowed to go anywhere without a direct escort. Throughout the interviews I did not leave the room, but was asked in between interviews if I needed to use the restroom. I was required to sign an NDA to complete the interview process, but at no point was told what it was I'd actually be working on, despite me directly asking. I was told that even other teams within the company weren't privy to what was going on.

As mentioned earlier, I was told that I'd receive either an offer or rejection within 3 days. About a week passed, so I reached out to the recruiters to ask for an update. No response. It wasn't until almost a month after the onsite that I was sent a rejection. The email was pretty off-putting because it was suggested that maybe a support or systems engineering position would be a better fit for me. I was already making a downward move title-wise to the SDE position, but the change of location and project focus were appealing enough to merit that.

# Overall #
    While every person I spoke with was personable and seemed intelligent (without coming off arrogant,) the company bothered me. Amazon seems to be devoid of a culture to the point of feeling robotic. The sterile office, scripted responses, failure to follow through on self-appointed contact deadlines, general lack of input recognition, the mildly insulting rejection quip, and some frustrating logistical blunders (which I won't get into,) all made me think that it's probably best I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I'll respect the NDA and not go into specifics. I will say that it involved graph traversal.   Answer Question

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moreno Valley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moreno Valley, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

I actually applied through snagajob one day and I got an email back within the next week from Amazon saying to schedule my interview for one of the following days, all of the days on the list were 3 weeks away, so I picked the closes date. Got an email shortly after confirming that my date for my interview was set at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Riverside. 3 weeks later I am at the hotel, I walk in and they ask me to check in at these tables they have stationed when you first walk in. Wait was about 4 minutes and the guy I had asked me for my name, a valid I.D and proof of education, handed all of them to him and next thing I know he is handing me a congratulations letter and giving me my work schedule. He then told me to take a sit and they will call me shorty. About 5 minutes later a lady calls 2 of us to a small room and there they were taking badge pictures. We took a seat after and about 5 minutes later a group of us got called into a conference room and we met a director of Amazon and told us a little about the company, our benefits, and took our drug screen test. It was all about half an hour. Background check and drug screening test took about a week to get back an email.

Interview Questions
    Nothing to negotiate about. Great benefits and pay.