Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
    • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answers (2)
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answer
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
      // return index 1&3
        View Answer

RLDP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview was mainly behavioral and case question. This was the 1st round. Once you clear this,there would be a second interview, which would be based on case questions only. They try to check whether you have worked on data. Have experience in data manipulation. Also can you think analytically and have good problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How will you make a metric system to evaluate late delivery of products?If you get a discounted offer to buy 50,000 movies, will u buy it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Contacted by HR through email for on-site interview. 2-hour on-site interview with 4 hiring managers. Most of the questions are scenario questions. You will need to finish a case before 1 on 1 meetings. Overall, the interview is not hard if you are prepared.

Area Manager Interview

Amazon utilizes a mult-tiered interview process. Starting first with one to two phone interviews and then an on-site interview with various team members. Be prepared to discuss your resume in depth and a good working knowledge of the company and culture.

Interview Questions
    • HR questions where somewhat routine but I did not expect the in-depth Lean Six Sigma questions.   Answer Question

Site Merchandiser/Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

This was one of the most dissapointing interview processes experiences I have encountered...the recruiter seemed inexperienced, was all over the place, did not know much about the team and communicated very poorly. He forgot to inform me that my initial scheduled phone interview was cancelled. Then he moved it to another day/time without even confirming with me if that worked with my schedule. For my second phone interview a completely different person showed up to do the interview, and I was not informed, again...not to even mention that person was not part of the team that I was interviewing for...also, unlike what I was told, that I should hear back withing 3-5 days...he forgot to follow-up for about 10 days...I attempted to contact him again and he said I wasn't a good fit...and then about another week or so I received a similar canned official and polite email from him, informing me again that it was a "no"...clearly he didn't keep track of that fact that we had had that converstation before...I expected a much better grasp and professionalism from the interviewing team...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used a simple solution to solve a complex business problem?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you used data to make a business decision?   Answer Question
    • They also threw an unexpected quantitative case about the success of email marketing campaigns. They give you a few metrics for 2 email marketing campaigns and ask you to compare the success of the campaigns against each other.   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a first round interview that I got after talking to a recruiter. It was a 30 minute interview. They asked the usual questions. The hardest question they asked me was "Name a time you were crunched for time to complete an assignment and how you overcame the situation". The second round interview is on-site.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were crunched for time to complete an assignment and how you overcame the situation.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 Phone Screens & 7 Onsite Interviews. After the offer the Recruiters were very rude. They think they can get away with it as they do in Seattle. But in Bay area there are lot of options.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and was gives two time slots to choose from for scheduling the interview. It was two telephonic calls of 1 hour each. Both were done using a shared doc. The interviewers were very patient and helpful. Was a pleasant experience though I wasn't given an offer for the position.

Area In Finance & Compliance Role, Hyderabad, India Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād, Sind (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād, Sind (Pakistan)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon has many rounds of interviews and sometimes it's so rigorous that you may have to appear 6 rounds in one day. This becomes difficult when the employee is travelling from far off place in India. The worst part is that all the interviewers ask the same question - around their leadership model and values

Interview Questions
    • None... actually it becomes so repeatetive that one get's drained in explaning the demonstration part of leadership model over and over again. The funniest part, people who interview are senior positions but have no clarity on the role profiles are the ones who ask the most and have an influence over the appointment of the position   Answer Question

The salary was less

E-commerce Graduate Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

After online application followed a first short phone interview (very easy and friendly), and this was followed by an hour-long competency based interview which included a sales role play. The questions were straight forward and mostly related to the competencies sought for in the role. The role play was relatively easy however prepare well for arguments against rejections.

Interview Questions
    • What other types of jobs have you been applying to and how far have you gotten?   Answer Question