Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
4,885 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

First there are several questions about concept in algorithm, and then two coding questions. There were two questions, both are from leetcode, similar as Path Sum and Path Sum II.

Associate Vendor Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter asking to set up a 30-40 minute phone interview for After sending her several availability windows, we settled on Monday afternoon. Fifteen minutes after the interview was scheduled to start, I called the recruiter to see what was going on. She claimed to have called and left a voicemail when she was unable to reach me, but I had no such voicemails. She admitted she may have dialed the wrong number and double-checked that my email listed the correct one; it did. She asked what times I was available to reschedule as she had another interview in ten minutes; I reiterated that my available times were in my original email but I could email availability into the next week to her if those times did not work. We settled on Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday, I again had to call the recruiter, this time giving her five minutes after the scheduled start time. She said she was "just about to call me." She asked me the basic HR questions, including whether I would be willing to relocate--a strange question, I thought, considering I live ten minutes walking distance from Amazon's main campus where this position was located. Then she asked me to describe my current position, and seemed very surprised and confused when I explained my current position with a company and that I had been in Seattle for two years at this point.

As it turns out, she was looking at a two year old resume and thought I still lived across the country. I was so bewildered by this revelation that I was less collected in my answers than I would have liked; I did email her an current copy of my resume (which was the copy archived in my Amazon careers profile; I checked). She asked if I had any pending offers and how long I had been actively searching for a position. Then she described the details of the position when I asked about it, then let me know she would get back to me by Monday once she'd discussed my application with her team. The entire conversation took under fifteen minutes. On Friday, I received an email that they would not be pursuing me further and would offer no feedback as to why or how to strengthen my application. All in all, I was extremely unimpressed with the experience.

Anonymous Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Round 1:
    I applied online. The online process is easy; however, it's seemingly not that easy to tailor your resume/cover letter to specific reqs. I received my first email from the recruiting coordinator 24 hours after applying. I had an hour-long phone screen with the hiring manager. The interview was a series of behavioral questions. I asked her a few questions, but each time she gently let me know that the recruiting process is "very structured for a reason" and that we "would not be discussing role specifics at this time in the process." The recruiter called back to discuss next steps 3 days later. I declined to continue with the interview process and stated that I'd changed my mind about making a job change at that time.

Round 2:
    I was contacted 3 months later by a recruiting coordinator for a different org; I responded expressing interest and received an invite for a 1 hr phone screen with hiring manager. During the phone screen, the hiring manager let me know the in person interviews would be structured as a "tryout" with team collaboration and development done during the interview and I was looking forward to that format. I received a decision email and invite to a second phone screen interview for the following day with a business partner. I received a decision email and a list of questions, including desired compensation, pending offers, desired start date, etc. I provided general or "to be discussed" responses.

Two days later, the recruiting coordinator sent a "hold the date" invite and a work assignment. I was told to complete and return prior to the interviews.

Five days later, the interview schedule was sent. It was very detailed and included (in all-caps, seriously): "NO LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED. WATER WILL BE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST."

The in-person interviews were held in a windowless conference room with dim lighting and a single spotlight centered over the small round table. Gave off a weird vibe, but good for an ice breaker joke, I suppose.

The first "interview" was with the lead recruiter. He kicked off the conversation saying he would talk compensation in broad terms, orient me to the interview process, and discuss the next steps. He emphasized the importance of the Amazon Leadership Principles and that I would most certainly be asked about them during the interviews. He then described the interview process (policy is no feedback provided post interviews, format is behavioral interviewing, etc.) and asked follow-up questions about the information I had provided. He neglected to talk compensation in broad terms, but I decided I wan't going to remind him.

I interviewed with 7 people total; all but 1 brought very dated, heavy laptops. it must be a "thing" with this group to plaster them with bumper stickers. Each asked me the same intro questions in the same order. How is your day? Do you need a bathroom break? Do you need a water refill? I have my laptop; can I take notes while we interview? I told one person that he could take notes, so long as he made eye contact with me and there was some semblance of two-way dialogue. (He didn't look away from his screen except when asking the next questions.) I told the second person that no; he couldn't take notes. (He laughed, then took notes anyway.) Each interviewer deflected questions I asked them ("we'll get to that at the end") and each left precisely one minute at the end for my questions. (Questions-Plural? Really?!) I found that disingenuous. The day ended with an interviewer who I believe was the "bar-raiser": very openly and repeatedly mentioning a complete lack of understanding of my background and of the role needs at Amazon, but also very happy to talk about positive personal experiences and tenure at the company. That was a good way to the the day.

The recruiter followed up promptly 2 days afterward. Again, i thanked him for his responsiveness. I declined to move forward, this time citing poor role fit, but I did say I'd be open to exploring future opportunities if/when they were.

Pros: Overall, I found the process very well coordinated. While the interviewers remain close-lipped, the recruiters themselves were refreshingly open and direct (and QUICK) with communicating the decisions. I think that's one very good way to live their leadership principle of being "quick w/bias for action".

Cons: The behavioral interviewing is drone-like and textbook (one could prepare for it by simply googling a list of behavioral questions and memorizing answers in STAR format. Use a stopwatch and get your answer down to 30 seconds flat and you're golden). Overall, I found it to be a grossly one-sided process.

Interview Questions
    • NDA, but I will reiterate that questions are not unexpected.   Answer Question

Did not "click" with hiring manager.

Production Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Whole process was across 2 months. 2 phone calls, 2 weeks apart. And then an in house multi interview session, total of 5 people, across 5hrs.

All behavioural questions as many have stated here. Very predictable in that sense - and GD proved to be a valuable resource. None of these questions were repeated except in a generalised manner, so not sure how they can determine discrepancies. Nothing out of the ordinary really though and not alot of deep diving; which is what I had prepared for.

There wasn't much particular interest in what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what they were expecting from me. I relate that to the idea that you must always be mindful to 'interview' them. I didn't feel as inspired as anticipated and with hindsight that probably didn't reflect well.

Overall, I have to say I didn't get a tremendous amount of zeal or excitement from the individuals I met.

They pride them selves on the 'unique' interview style - it was pretty intense but not too exhausting. I attempted to have enough questions to ask...and asking the same question of different people was interesting.

Of course, I thought that I was perfectly qualified and the right type of person - they told me as much. But I was rejected. Go figure.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Submit the resume online and got an email about the phone screen next day. Do not have enough time to prepare. One question is not expected but the second call has the easy questions. The second interviewer is very nice. Questions like print odd and even number. Find duplicate number in an array. Wait for two weeks or more and no reply from Amazon. I sent an email about the interview then got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Write the function to decide if two dates are within 30 days or more.   Answer Question

Picker Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Simple phone call, I would not even call it an interview. . . They asked if i could stand and walk for 10 hours and if I was able to lift 50 pounds. The only interview-ish question was "why do you want to work for amazon?" That was pretty much it. After that I was scheduled a direct-hire event, which was not for another month almost.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied online at amazonfulfillmentcareers.com for the new fulfillment center that just opened up in Moreno Valley, CA. Received a few emails over the following 3 weeks pertaining to the hiring process, videos and information about what it's like to work at an Amazon Fulfillment Center and when the company would begin hiring. Finally received an email inviting me to set up an interview appointment date which all dates available wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. So I picked the closest date possible and received a confirmation email a few minutes later with information on a Direct Hire Event they were having at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Riverside and what I should bring to the event (government issued I.D. and proof of education). Went to the hotel, followed the amazon signs which led me to about 4 tables with Amazon employees where I checked in, gave them my I.D. and P.O.E and was handed a congratulatory offer of employment, which was contingent upon successfully passing the drug test and background check, of course. They were some other people there who also received an offer of employment and the took us to a room where they discussed information on where we would be working, benefits, pay and we completed our drug test. Was told that we should receive the results of our drug test and background checks by email between 7-14 days. Did all of this within the span of an hour and we were all out the door. Easiest process I've gone through for a job and definitely the best company I've ever worked for by far.

No Negotiation

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Applied online through their career website. Got an email from the recruiter the next day. She set up an online timed coding assessment. The questions were:

1) Given an int number in bits, format it into exactly 3 digits (with a decimal) and add a G for gigs, M for megabytes K for kilobytes and B for bytes.
    2) Given two arrays of integers, create a third array with the element in each position in the first array multiplied by every element in the second array except for the element at the same index in the second array.

Passed that. On to phone screen. Questions straight out of Cracking the Coding Interview (book):

1) Rotate a 2D array 90 degrees clockwise, in-place without using a second 2D array
    2) Design a chat server

Flew out to Amazon in Seattle:

First Interview) Given an array of integers sorted in ascending order, return a list of all elements that have the difference of 2 (for example 2 and 4, or 5 and 7).
    Second Interview) Behavioral. Tell me about the most challenging task. Hardest bug.
    ...Lunch break
    Third Interview) Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.
    Fourth Interview) Given a sorted array, return a set of all ranges in the array. For example [0,1,2,4,6,7,8] has ranges 0-2, 4-4, and 6-8.
    Fifth interview) Design a furniture store. (It was very hard to understand the girl interviewing me, not because she had bad english, but because she just wasn't able to articulate what she was asking. She was obviously new and nervous).
    Sixth interview) Design an airplane tracking system.

Got an email the next week (Interview was Friday, got email following Wednesday) that I did well with the simple solutions and got everything right, but struggled with the more difficult solutions, which I should have gotten easily given my years of experience. So no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

One technical phone screen, had to write some code using a shared text editor.

Proceeded to onsite technical interview with 4 different people. Every interviewer asked 1 to 2 technical questions that involved writing code on the board.

Account Executive - Amazon Local Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Headhunter contacted me via email. Then came a phone interview that was pretty simple and painless. They flew me up to Seattle based on my experience. From there it was a two hour interview (a 30 minute round-robin interview with 4 different interviewers).

Interview Questions
    • One of the sessions was a simulation. Expect the unexpected during this. They will test your sales skills. Do not take no for an answer.   Answer Question