Amazon.com

Updated 25 Nov 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Very professional and organized process. Recruiting people are great. First a phone call from the recruiter. Second a 30 min interview with a director, pretty high level, and then another interview with a TPM which is more detailed.
    I was then invited to travel to the HQ in Seattle for a marathon of 5 interviews, with TPMs and Directors, four of them 1:1 and one 2:1.
    You can tell they interview a lot of people, some interviewers tried to show some interest others were in auto-pilot mode, asking the same questions and getting the same answers for the hundredth time can sure be boring.
    In the end, all folks very professional, doing their job, but I did miss some small talk, non-scripted talk, maybe 5 minutes after each interview, where you get to know the people better. I left with the impression that I talked to 6 machines that were programmed to ask questions and drilling them down to the core.
    From the Glassdoor reviews I learned that only one in four candidates who come to this stage get an offer letter, so I already knew my chances were slim. Anyways I flew over to gain experience and improve my interview game. Also I got to know the company and it's people, on which I don't think I would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • Can not specify a question due to NDA, but there are many questions about past projects and request to solution some problem. Nothing too exotic, however on interview #4 or #5 I confess I got sick and tired of talking the same things over and over. Incidentally the more important interviews are the last ones, maybe on purpose :) But at that point I already knew I did not want to be an Amazonian.   Answer Question

University Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

3 rounds of interviews. 2 phone interviews. Last in person interview had 6 rounds with behavioral questions. Some of the interviewers did not seem like they had any sort of idea regarding my background. I think those who were unaware were employees who I would not actually be working with directly - sort of a company fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used metrics to show results for recruiting. My last job did not use measurements as I worked in a creative space before.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 Phone Screens & 7 Onsite Interviews. After the offer the Recruiters were very rude. They think they can get away with it as they do in Seattle. But in Bay area there are lot of options.

Brand Manager Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

There were two hour long phone screens, followed by eight in person interviews at the offices in Seattle. The questions were all over the board, but most were behavioral questions asking for examples of how you have responded in certain situations before, and drilling in to your examples as far as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall the exact wording, but they want to know how you have used data to make decisions in the past. Once you give them an example, be prepared to go very far in depth with it. They will ask details that might even seem irrelevant, and the questioning process on that one example can last upto twenty minutes.   Answer Question

RLDP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview was mainly behavioral and case question. This was the 1st round. Once you clear this,there would be a second interview, which would be based on case questions only. They try to check whether you have worked on data. Have experience in data manipulation. Also can you think analytically and have good problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How will you make a metric system to evaluate late delivery of products?If you get a discounted offer to buy 50,000 movies, will u buy it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Contacted by HR through email for on-site interview. 2-hour on-site interview with 4 hiring managers. Most of the questions are scenario questions. You will need to finish a case before 1 on 1 meetings. Overall, the interview is not hard if you are prepared.

Area Manager Interview

Amazon utilizes a mult-tiered interview process. Starting first with one to two phone interviews and then an on-site interview with various team members. Be prepared to discuss your resume in depth and a good working knowledge of the company and culture.

Interview Questions
    • HR questions where somewhat routine but I did not expect the in-depth Lean Six Sigma questions.   Answer Question

Site Merchandiser/Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

This was one of the most dissapointing interview processes experiences I have encountered...the recruiter seemed inexperienced, was all over the place, did not know much about the team and communicated very poorly. He forgot to inform me that my initial scheduled phone interview was cancelled. Then he moved it to another day/time without even confirming with me if that worked with my schedule. For my second phone interview a completely different person showed up to do the interview, and I was not informed, again...not to even mention that person was not part of the team that I was interviewing for...also, unlike what I was told, that I should hear back withing 3-5 days...he forgot to follow-up for about 10 days...I attempted to contact him again and he said I wasn't a good fit...and then about another week or so I received a similar canned official and polite email from him, informing me again that it was a "no"...clearly he didn't keep track of that fact that we had had that converstation before...I expected a much better grasp and professionalism from the interviewing team...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used a simple solution to solve a complex business problem?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you used data to make a business decision?   Answer Question
    • They also threw an unexpected quantitative case about the success of email marketing campaigns. They give you a few metrics for 2 email marketing campaigns and ask you to compare the success of the campaigns against each other.   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I had a first round interview that I got after talking to a recruiter. It was a 30 minute interview. They asked the usual questions. The hardest question they asked me was "Name a time you were crunched for time to complete an assignment and how you overcame the situation". The second round interview is on-site.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were crunched for time to complete an assignment and how you overcame the situation.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Got mail and call from one of the hiring recruiters from the company. They were ready to take up interview almost immediately (like the next day). However, they asked when was the most convenient time. Scheduled for a telephonic interview which involved coding as well.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult question. Retrieve max three elements in an array in O(n)   Answer Question