Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online through Amazon page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:

13 questions:
9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
1 open-ended basic SQL question.
1 open-ended normalization question.
1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
1 open-ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).

The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of days. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like ‘the impossible interview’ and ‘the aptitude interview’ from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Question – Given N sets of integers, remove some sets so that the remaining all sets are disjoint with one another. Find the optimal solution so that the number of sets remaining at the end is maximum   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Interview Details Responded to a posted job with my reume and cover letter. Had a scheduled phone interview which was casual discussion of my background and accomplishments. Was flown out for face to face interview where I met with team members 1 at a time for aprox 1 hour technical interviews where I was given design problems and technical Java questions like demonstrate the use of threads and queues. Finally interviewed with manager and was challenged with open ended qestions to answer with as much as I could provide for ideas and direction.

Interview Question – The difficult part for me was the psychological pressure that was used threw me off my game. Just remember they would not be interviewing you if they did not want to hire you. Its ok not to have all the answers .. you will be part of the team :)   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details Was contacted by recruiter. Took some time but eventually had phone screen with Hiring Manager. Standard behavioral questions along with some questions about Amazon products. Then had second phone screen a week later with another senior marketing leader there, similar questions but was also asked a mini case about an actual amazon situation and how I would approach it, they were looking to see my thought process. After that was contacted a week later by recruiter about going to Seattle for final round interview. Several weeks later went to Seattle for final round interview. Had 6 30-40 minute interviews, mix of behavioral and a couple mini cases in areas of marketing. Took another week to hear back, did not get offer, they did not provide feedback. Not sure if bar raiser was the issue or not. Disappointed I didn't get feedback and also along the way of the whole process was handed off to a different HR person at each stage, not sure if that is normal or not.

Interview Question – What would you do if customers were complaining about feature on Amazon website?   View Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Technical Program Manager
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter and started with a phone screen that went well. In person interviews also were a good experience, all the interviewers with the exception of the actual hiring manager were good!

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty standard PM questions ranging from design to interpersonal skills   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Junior Software Developer
San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details This is an internship position that pairs you with an experienced developer at the San Luis Obispo site.

The requirements for this position are a minimum 16 hrs. / week commitment, and solid experience with Java and data structures. Typically a sophomore / junior level college student position, with opportunities for advancement and full-time employment upon graduation.

Two phone interviews (~ 45 min. each), one on-site interview (~3 hrs. - four 45 min. segments with different interviewers)

I interviewed at the Amazon-SLO site. They are usually quick to follow up within a week if you are selected for the next interview.

Interview Question – Traverse a binary tree level by level.   View Answer

Senior Vendor Manager Interview

Senior Vendor Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details I had 2 phone calls, so far out of 3. The first two were with people from HR, they were super nice. As soon as they called we jumped into que questions so dont expect to have previous chat or a chance to connect. Questions were pretty standard, questions about my previous job, experiences, why I want to join Amazon, and why I left my previous jobs, what was the most successfull negotiation, and the most difficult analisis, & one question about pricing.

Interview Question – NO case yet.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details Some HR questions about my problem solution abilities. A few questions about my background and CV. The interviewer got the idea that I am not as technical as he would wanted, so he ended the interview after 30 minutes into it. I guess I became insecure about my skills and did not get the offer.

Interview Question – Confidence is your best friend.   Answer Question

Operations Manager At A Fulfillment Center Interview

Operations Manager At A Fulfillment Center

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details The initial phone screen was pretty straight forward. The interviewer was reading questions from a checklist and only knew the position I was applying for bit had no clue about the location. At the end of the interview he asked if I had any questions for him but he really couldn't answer anything with any certainty. Keep you answers short and to the point. The interviewer is not really interested. Overall the screening went well. I declined to move further in the process because I was not willing to relocate at the time.

Interview Question – All of the questions with with the exception of a simple math problem to calculate number of man hours to process a certain number of units, were all about leadership. The questions all took the form of "Tell me about a time..."   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I did 4 interviews, all through my university. The interviews were 100% technical -- they were not interested in your standard boilerplate interview questions. I asked more of those during my chance to ask questions at the end.

The first was a broad preliminary screening with an easy question about substrings, and the subsequent 3 were back-to-back-to-back. I strongly recommend Cracking the Coding Interview as a resource. I studied it for these interviews, and although none of the questions were exactly the same (one linked-list question was VERY similar), the overall strategies I learned from that book were helpful for every question.

Interview Question – Given a parking lot of fixed size, made up of a number of rows of spaces, and different vehicle sizes (e.g. car = 1 spot, bike = 1/2 spot, van = 2 spots, bus = 4 spots), develop an algorithm to determine the optimal place to park for any entering vehicle.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate at all, which in retrospect was naive. I recommend at least asking for more.

Very Difficult Interview

Amazon Instant Video Interview

Amazon Instant Video
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details A recruiter reached out and we scheduled a phone interview the following week. This interview was very easy and we immediately scheduled next steps. Next I had an interview with the hiring manager. Every question was very behavioral based, and after each question, there were 2 or 3 follow up related questions. Overall I understand why Amazon chooses to interview this way, however I felt like the process made me more nervous than anything. I don't think I really was able to showcase who I am and how I work on a day to day basis. Both people I interviewed with (the recruiter and hiring manager) were very polite and respectful, however I felt that the whole interview was very impersonal and cold.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time with you had to negotiate with a partner."   Answer Question