Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 28 Sep 2014
4,944 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

First there are several questions about concept in algorithm, and then two coding questions. There were two questions, both are from leetcode, similar as Path Sum and Path Sum II.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Code interview, on site interview. 5 interviews on site, design parking lot, design coffee machine, implement binary tree. Find a route in binary tree that sums to a certain number. Merge 2 binary trees. Heard back 1 day after code interview, 2 days after on site interview. They wanted to fly me to Seattle, I already lived in the area

Production Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Whole process was across 2 months. 2 phone calls, 2 weeks apart. And then an in house multi interview session, total of 5 people, across 5hrs.

All behavioural questions as many have stated here. Very predictable in that sense - and GD proved to be a valuable resource. None of these questions were repeated except in a generalised manner, so not sure how they can determine discrepancies. Nothing out of the ordinary really though and not alot of deep diving; which is what I had prepared for.

There wasn't much particular interest in what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what they were expecting from me. I relate that to the idea that you must always be mindful to 'interview' them. I didn't feel as inspired as anticipated and with hindsight that probably didn't reflect well.

Overall, I have to say I didn't get a tremendous amount of zeal or excitement from the individuals I met.

They pride them selves on the 'unique' interview style - it was pretty intense but not too exhausting. I attempted to have enough questions to ask...and asking the same question of different people was interesting.

Of course, I thought that I was perfectly qualified and the right type of person - they told me as much. But I was rejected. Go figure.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Submit the resume online and got an email about the phone screen next day. Do not have enough time to prepare. One question is not expected but the second call has the easy questions. The second interviewer is very nice. Questions like print odd and even number. Find duplicate number in an array. Wait for two weeks or more and no reply from Amazon. I sent an email about the interview then got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Write the function to decide if two dates are within 30 days or more.   Answer Question

Account Executive - Amazon Local Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Headhunter contacted me via email. Then came a phone interview that was pretty simple and painless. They flew me up to Seattle based on my experience. From there it was a two hour interview (a 30 minute round-robin interview with 4 different interviewers).

Interview Questions
    • One of the sessions was a simulation. Expect the unexpected during this. They will test your sales skills. Do not take no for an answer.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I applied online a few months ago and received an invitation from a recruiter to take the amazon online assessment test. It was a link to hackerank.
    The actual interview consisted of two pretty simple coding questions and a logic test part.
    I was given 30 mins for each coding question and 35 mins for the logic part(25 questions).
    NOTE: Time flies really fast during the logic session. You should work fast.

The first question had to do with string manipulation and the other question was on bit level manipulation

Pathways Ops Manager Interview

Four interviews done in a matter of 2 days with the results declared on the 2nd day. All interviews were based on the 14 leadership principles of Amazon. They really challenge you to dive deep and justify your claims. Be sure of your resume Anything from the resume could be used to drill down. They make sure that the person has leadership potential to lead a group of 200+ associates

Interview Questions
    • Tell us everything not on your resume, walk us through how did you fail, and then succeded   Answer Question

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was recruited by a well-respected team member who I had worked with in another department. I submitted completed work samples they proposed, submitted a plan I initiated for a problem they described in their process. Then, I participated in two one-hour phone interviews with other team members. Exchanges all seemed very positive and the interviewers comments suggested an good fit.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all very appropriate and expected. None were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Various times, I was told that Amazon was a terrible company to work for from people inside. However, they reached out to me for an SFA role and I flew up to Seattle to interview with the team. To be quite honest, did not click with anyone but the hiring manager. Hiring manager was a really down to earth guy who was professional and personable. The interview process was very fast but the selection of people who I interviewed with was really poor (except the hiring manager). Amazon web services seems like a group that is all over the place and people seem to run with their heads cut off. A chaos in a chaos. While this can be a great opportunity for growth, it requires good leadership which this team lacked in various aspects - in my view. The entire in person interview felt scripted. Each person walked into the room with a set of questions that was already written on a piece of paper (which also overlapped some of the questions I was asked before - It makes you feel like they are not prepared and it is equally frustrating).

Amazon seemingly values its 14 principles very much but when you ask a question about these principles to the managers, they give you very vague, general responses. 2 people I interviewed with specifically were extremely rude and unprofessional to an extend that they would respond to my questions with questions and ridicule my experience with a condescending tone of voice - which broke the deal right there in the office. I would not even work for this team if Jeff Bezos paid me thousands. Other departments could be different but finance was a big disappointment. Horrible interpersonal and communication skills. Imagine how horrible that would be in such a chaotic work environment working with them on a daily basis. It definitely did not feel like a welcoming team. rather felt like a team that is in deep chaos and in desperate need of people to crunch numbers. I can crunch all the numbers in the world but if the team is not a fit, that is it. I think it was a mutual feeling of no fit.

Interview process: Around 3-4 weeks
    1st: Phone Int. with recruiter
    2nd: Phone Int. with hiring manager
    3rd: Phone int. with another manager
    4th: In person interview in Seattle

Questions: All behavioral questions geared to see if you exhibit any / all of the 14 principles.

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Over the course of months (!) between phone calls they eventually invited me onsite for an interview. The people I met were great to talk to although they seemed really tired and were very intent on keeping everything prompt and punctual. Very scripted questions, nothing spontaneous. Overall a good interview experience except that a lot of my questions got generic answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure and what you did to ensure it wouldn't recur?   Answer Question

The offer was too low, even after negotiating, to be worth it. I received another offer that was 12% higher with a company that doesn't have all of the bad reviews that Amazon has.