Amazon.com

4,640 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

TPM Interview

TPM

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details The HR recruiter was very prompt and quick to respond at all times. The interview process was great/very nice. Very difficult and data structure centered interview, especially focus on the rare, not so often used ones. Definitely brush up on your technical skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details I talked with a recruiter, then a technical phone screen with coding problems, followed by an on site interview with 6 sessions, 5 technical and one with HR. Technical questions covered things like graph problems, sorting streams of integers, checking if a given list of words are contained in a magazine. Every problem was coupled with an analysis of computational complexity and memory trade offs.

Interview Question – How would you optimize the recipient of IPC message packets so that all messages are stored in a database with high throughout despite a (relatively) slow database connection.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer I Intern
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details Interviewed through university recruitment program. There were 2 back to back 45 min. phone interviews with 10 min gap between them. Got a call exactly at the scheduled time and ended it exactly after 45 min are over.

Interview Question – Question were not the difficult ones, but the sub-questions asked on them were tricky.
1st interview question: It was scenario based coding question. Asked to code it in whatever language you want. The question was; you are getting number of orders daily, code a program which will minimize the time right from processing to packing and till warehouse shipment. It was something related to Pythagoras theorem. I coded it with some time left and then was asked to optimize it considering time and space complexity.

2nd Interview: There was not a single question. It was regarding hash tables, sorting and searching, picklists and their time n space complexities. Tried to answer them.
  Answer Question

Data Engineer III Interview

Data Engineer III
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details Suggested by a friend I applied for a Data Engineer position at Amazon, to my surprise I did receive a call from HR within a week. This was my first interview after 4 years. My work experience included Oracle Pl/SQL and Hyperion Essbase, and Amazon was looking for a Data Architect or someone who could do data modeling.

HR had briefed me before about the first interview. This interview was for 45 mins (Started and Ended as scheduled). First 10 Mins were used to introduce Interviewer and Amazon. This was followed with a clear technical interview. I liked the way this person interviewed, it was all technical and he was expecting me to explain how things would work inside a Database. Some Questions on Index, Partitions and tables. This was followed by asking me to design a data mart (May be Hotel booking, Restaurant or something similar). This interview went really good for me and I was expecting a call back from Amazon. As expected I got a call in 3 days and they scheduled one more technical interview based on my free-time which happened 3 days later.

Second technical interview was no different from the first one. Technical Questions were little difficult compared to first and followed by asking for a designing sample data model.

This interview went good too and got a call back from HR in 3 days. This time they asked for a non technical interview with Recruitment team. This was again scheduled for next day based on my availability. Also they asked for details about my availability in travelling to Seattle for a day’s interview.

Explaining the discussion with Recruitment team, it was all about knowing my interests, knowledge about Amazon, explaining Amazon Salary structure, my Salary expectations and explained about how things would look during onsite interview.

I did my research about Onsite interview and tried to collect most details. This information is really hard to get, and the reason behind I writing this document is same.
As everyone would expect I thought It would be behavioral round and just a formality. Its not the case and every minute during this interview is very important.

I spent 18 hrs in travel before landing at Amazon @ 10:20 AM (Late by 20 mins to interview). I was really tired with lot of flight cancellations and couldn’t find time to fresh up. The Recruitment team greeted and did a nice welcome. She spent some 10 mins walking through the building and explaining the work culture there.

This was followed by 30 mins of explaining next 7 hrs schedule and some Questions to understand my knowledge about Amazon. I really don’t remember questions but I guess little bit of search on Google about Amazon would help us there.

Right at 11:00 AM we had a person knocking at the door. HR left wishing me good luck. I didn’t expect that this would be followed by 7 Hours of non-stop questions. I was really not prepared for this 7 hours of talking and white boarding.

I guess I met 8 people in this 7 hours, last hour interview was conducted by 2 people – One asking Questions and other just monitoring.

All the first 6 Interviews were similar and below are some of questions you may expect. End of the hour I always had next person knocking the door. I felt I did pretty good on technical rounds and not so good on behavioral rounds. There is no lunch-break, you will be interviewed even while having food. It’s a real test of your mental strength.

After meeting these 6 ppl, I felt I had hit 5 of the interviews on bulls eye. I was comparing the knowledge level of the interviewer with mine and felt it was going good.
Again on the repetitive Questions of database design and challenges I was getting little annoyed. I was tired after 6:30 Hrs of talking.

Along with technical Questions, I was also asked to answer for reason on job change, Why Amazon, Whats good about Amazon, and lot of them. Questions on my prev roles and myself were minimal and they clearly said ITS WASTE OF TIME. Everyone made it clear they didn’t want to hear storied and expected crisp and simple answers.

All the ppl I meet had atleast 10 years of Database experience, and were heading a team. These were ppl who would be talking to me on daily basis had I been selected.

No mercy, two ppl walked-in for the last round. As I understood they were seniors of the account and lead this whole division. The question here was simple and single. Asked me to design a Database for one of Amazon division which we use everyday on amazon. For 1 Hour I was trying to run away from this Question(I expected there would be one more Question, if I didn’t like it) and they were persistent and trying to dig thought the same concept.

After the interview I expected a negative feedback, and did hear the same. As I understand all 8 ppl did a 60 Mins brainstorming before making this valid decision.

Good luck for all you guys.

Interview Question – Technical round Questions:
Live examples ppl have faced at amazon – Writing SQLs and more Complex SQLs, Designing Data Marts.
Loads of DW and SQL Questions, with work experience anyone would be able to crack them. Atleast 5 each round.
Questions to understand your exposure to DW designs. You can expect 5 Questions each round.
Challenges faced (Would be asked by everyone). This is tricky one and I explaining only one scenario to all 7 ppl (was a negative point against me). I felt 1 Scenario in 10 years of work experience would raise doubts about my experience.
Design a database for specific scenario (would be asked by everyone). We need to white board the example and use all your knowledge. This one is really really important.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied to a job posted on LinkedIn and heard back a couple of days later. They flew me to Sydney for the interview about a week later. Heard back the following week

Interview Question – Q1 - Given a stream of integers, find the median value
  View Answer

Operation Manager Interview

Operation Manager

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details As describe in the different interview process, I had 2 phones screens with HR and technical then I had on site interview with 5 differents people (Senior Operation Manager, Change Manager, HR Manager, Senior Operation Manager)

Interview Question – I took a long day to past all interview and you must be prepare to talk about all your experience relate to all 14 values company   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I gave a recruiter my resume at my university's career fair and got an email about 2 weeks later inviting me to an on-site interview in Seattle. I was really surprised that I didn't have any phone interviews, not even an initial phone screen before being invited on-site (nobody from Amazon called me at all). I live in California, so going to the campus wasn't just a drive away.
At my on-site interview, we were put into groups of 3 to complete a mini programming project that was supposedly based on problems that real Amazon engineers consider (but to a much smaller scale). Each project is independently done. That's what we worked on for the whole day, and throughout the day, you would get pulled out for short interviews mostly explaining what you're doing on the project and related things. Nothing really behavioral or technical. The interviewers were friendly and helpful. Afterwards, all the interviewees went into a room for some panel discussion and questions.
Overall, I had a good experience on-site, but it was very different from what I expected or have experienced before. One thing though, it's been over a month since I submitted my reimbursements and still haven't gotten a reimbursement or update.

Interview Question – We werent really asked any questions...   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a few jobs (all Executive Assistant) but was not selected for an interview on any of these. I was contacted by someone in another department who saw my resume and wanted to find out if I was interested in the position she was looking to fill. I confirmed my interest, and she asked me to fill out a questionnaire. After returning the questionnaire via email, she confirmed that the team was interested in interviewing me, and I was then contacted by the recruiting coordinator. She scheduled a time for me to talk with someone else, and I am currently awaiting that phone interview.

Interview Question – So far, I've only been asked standard questions about problem solving, compensation, and how many hours are too many per week, etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details 2 phone interview, 1 on-campus. Phone interview are about 40 minutes each. After that I had a one to one on-campus interview which takes 40 minutes as well. Phone interviews are pretty easy, went over my resume and asked a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Not very hard, typical programming questions about data structures, like hash tables.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Same experience as everyone else on glassdoor. Two online coding tests. Five in person 45 min interviews in one day. Lots of whiteboard coding and design. Lots of behavioral questions. They try to get you to badmouth previous managers and badmouth yourself with uniquely worded questions. Recognise these for what they are and respond appropriately.