Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
4,897 Interview Reviews

3.3

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Very tough and a long process. There were 7 rounds in total. 5 rounds in a single day. The questions were tough but very perspective in nature. They were keen on understanding the thought process rather than exact answer per se.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question as such. The questions were relevant.   Answer Question

The role which was offered didn't suit my requirements

Devops Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I received call from Amazon internal recruiter out of blue. I don't even remember when and what position I applied. I went to my job portal, seems that the jobs I applied I am not selected. But for a position they looked in their internal database and called me.
    Hiring manager called, He did say there are few others in the call. But haven't heard any one or no one asked any questions. Interview had lots n lots of technical questions on Linux, Linux administration, networking, database, web and hadoop. He did say he will ask 20 mins of general questions on linux/java. Next on hadoop. He seem to not know most of the answers for questions he asked. Because when I asked him more questions to understand correctly, he was not sure what to say.
    What is iNode on linux. and more details on that
    How do you check physical memory on Linux.
    How do you copy a local file to HDFS?
    What steps happen when a copy from local file to HDFS run?
    Explain the steps/channels When user accesses a url via a browser.
    What is distributed cache in hadoop?
    How do you measure network packet?
    If there are no cookies how do you make your application work?
    How did you make your application work with out cookies?
    How do you make your database work for high number of requests at peak hours?
    How do you make a background process run?
    How do you optimize database?
    How do you know how much memory your java application is taking on Linux?
    Tell me about garbage collection programming.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know how much memory your java application is taking on Linux?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

First there are several questions about concept in algorithm, and then two coding questions. There were two questions, both are from leetcode, similar as Path Sum and Path Sum II.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I took a test online with 3 coding questions within a 40 minute time frame. print out a program that calculates peoples grades. that's one of them, I don't remember the rest. I got through that and got an email saying they would fly me to Washington!

They flew me down to Washington for an interview set up hotel and pretty much all the accommodations (i.e. food, taxi service), Apparently they have a lot of interviewees according to the taxi drivers. They look for the best of the crop.

I went to the interview the next day. They took me through 5 rounds of interviews. Know your Big O notation, know how to sort through a relational database, algorithms and especially know your data structures( LinkedLists, trees, etc.) I can't remember the rest of the questions specifically...

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Telephone interview. Took about 45 minutes. The interviewer seemed really cool. He made me feel easy before starting off. He wasn't looking for a pure finance graduate. I am from MIS and he understood where I stand when it comes to finance.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about what you've done professionally   Answer Question
    • Why amazon and why financial analyst   Answer Question
    • Did you face any difficulty while working with a co worker   View Answer
    • Financial questions on which product to choose. They want a specific answer with proper numbers.   View Answer

Wasn't able to drop courses

Associate Vendor Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter asking to set up a 30-40 minute phone interview for After sending her several availability windows, we settled on Monday afternoon. Fifteen minutes after the interview was scheduled to start, I called the recruiter to see what was going on. She claimed to have called and left a voicemail when she was unable to reach me, but I had no such voicemails. She admitted she may have dialed the wrong number and double-checked that my email listed the correct one; it did. She asked what times I was available to reschedule as she had another interview in ten minutes; I reiterated that my available times were in my original email but I could email availability into the next week to her if those times did not work. We settled on Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday, I again had to call the recruiter, this time giving her five minutes after the scheduled start time. She said she was "just about to call me." She asked me the basic HR questions, including whether I would be willing to relocate--a strange question, I thought, considering I live ten minutes walking distance from Amazon's main campus where this position was located. Then she asked me to describe my current position, and seemed very surprised and confused when I explained my current position with a company and that I had been in Seattle for two years at this point.

As it turns out, she was looking at a two year old resume and thought I still lived across the country. I was so bewildered by this revelation that I was less collected in my answers than I would have liked; I did email her an current copy of my resume (which was the copy archived in my Amazon careers profile; I checked). She asked if I had any pending offers and how long I had been actively searching for a position. Then she described the details of the position when I asked about it, then let me know she would get back to me by Monday once she'd discussed my application with her team. The entire conversation took under fifteen minutes. On Friday, I received an email that they would not be pursuing me further and would offer no feedback as to why or how to strengthen my application. All in all, I was extremely unimpressed with the experience.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Applied online at amazonfulfillmentcareers.com for the new fulfillment center that just opened up in Moreno Valley, CA. Received a few emails over the following 3 weeks pertaining to the hiring process, videos and information about what it's like to work at an Amazon Fulfillment Center and when the company would begin hiring. Finally received an email inviting me to set up an interview appointment date which all dates available wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. So I picked the closest date possible and received a confirmation email a few minutes later with information on a Direct Hire Event they were having at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Riverside and what I should bring to the event (government issued I.D. and proof of education). Went to the hotel, followed the amazon signs which led me to about 4 tables with Amazon employees where I checked in, gave them my I.D. and P.O.E and was handed a congratulatory offer of employment, which was contingent upon successfully passing the drug test and background check, of course. They were some other people there who also received an offer of employment and the took us to a room where they discussed information on where we would be working, benefits, pay and we completed our drug test. Was told that we should receive the results of our drug test and background checks by email between 7-14 days. Did all of this within the span of an hour and we were all out the door. Easiest process I've gone through for a job and definitely the best company I've ever worked for by far.

No Negotiation

Software Development Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

One technical phone screen, had to write some code using a shared text editor.

Proceeded to onsite technical interview with 4 different people. Every interviewer asked 1 to 2 technical questions that involved writing code on the board.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Applied online through their career website. Got an email from the recruiter the next day. She set up an online timed coding assessment. The questions were:

1) Given an int number in bits, format it into exactly 3 digits (with a decimal) and add a G for gigs, M for megabytes K for kilobytes and B for bytes.
    2) Given two arrays of integers, create a third array with the element in each position in the first array multiplied by every element in the second array except for the element at the same index in the second array.

Passed that. On to phone screen. Questions straight out of Cracking the Coding Interview (book):

1) Rotate a 2D array 90 degrees clockwise, in-place without using a second 2D array
    2) Design a chat server

Flew out to Amazon in Seattle:

First Interview) Given an array of integers sorted in ascending order, return a list of all elements that have the difference of 2 (for example 2 and 4, or 5 and 7).
    Second Interview) Behavioral. Tell me about the most challenging task. Hardest bug.
    ...Lunch break
    Third Interview) Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.
    Fourth Interview) Given a sorted array, return a set of all ranges in the array. For example [0,1,2,4,6,7,8] has ranges 0-2, 4-4, and 6-8.
    Fifth interview) Design a furniture store. (It was very hard to understand the girl interviewing me, not because she had bad english, but because she just wasn't able to articulate what she was asking. She was obviously new and nervous).
    Sixth interview) Design an airplane tracking system.

Got an email the next week (Interview was Friday, got email following Wednesday) that I did well with the simple solutions and got everything right, but struggled with the more difficult solutions, which I should have gotten easily given my years of experience. So no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a bitmap, find the largest size of adjacent 1's.   View Answer

Production Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Whole process was across 2 months. 2 phone calls, 2 weeks apart. And then an in house multi interview session, total of 5 people, across 5hrs.

All behavioural questions as many have stated here. Very predictable in that sense - and GD proved to be a valuable resource. None of these questions were repeated except in a generalised manner, so not sure how they can determine discrepancies. Nothing out of the ordinary really though and not alot of deep diving; which is what I had prepared for.

There wasn't much particular interest in what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what they were expecting from me. I relate that to the idea that you must always be mindful to 'interview' them. I didn't feel as inspired as anticipated and with hindsight that probably didn't reflect well.

Overall, I have to say I didn't get a tremendous amount of zeal or excitement from the individuals I met.

They pride them selves on the 'unique' interview style - it was pretty intense but not too exhausting. I attempted to have enough questions to ask...and asking the same question of different people was interesting.

Of course, I thought that I was perfectly qualified and the right type of person - they told me as much. But I was rejected. Go figure.