Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

One of the the more unpleasant interview experiences of my life. Interviewers were cold and unwilling to share any information beyond their "portfolio of question". Their "coding quiz" (which, in concept, is quite reasonable) asked some of the most bizarre questions, much of what I believe had little to do with "real life" applications - they were more attuned to a sophomore or junior-level undergrad, and, quite frankly, were a poor barometer to ascertain one's skill as a software engineer. I was, and still am, left puzzled as to how these folks make intelligent decisions on whom to hire - I believe they're turning away (and turning off) many highly talented people.

Interview Questions
    • Their absurd quiz. Why would you ask someone to author a search algorithm from scratch when there are so many good ones available in open source and on various chat boards and blogs. A smart software engineer would never design one from scratch - he/she would look at what's been previously done (after all, it's NOT a new problem; it's been solved and optimized numerous times over), and select/adapt for one's specific application. I fail to see how this "quiz" helps differentiate good candidates from poor ones (IMO, it does quite the opposite).   View Answer

several reasons - job was advertised for one location, but offered for a different locale; but, the primary reason was that the interview process left such a "bad taste in my mouth" that I question how well they would treat their employees (ie, if they asked such absurd question in the interview, could i expect them to be "reasonable" on the job?). The risk/reward equation didn't look appealing

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Technical interview after a first HR contact. Was a technical interview by phone. It tooks one hour covering many tech questions like cryptography, data replication, type of raid, cloud concepts, data base and some real scenarios, most common problem in data base, virtualization concepts, parallelism, some algorithm, top IP concepts, ports, difference between TCP and UDP etc.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter, and then took a test on Hackerrank. Based on the results, I was offered an on-campus interview in Seattle.

I interviewed for a half-day, and had 4-5 45 minute interviews. There was a mix of whiteboard coding and behavioral questions, nothing to crazy. Everyone I talked to was friendly, and I had a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • NDA. Study algorithms and data structures. I used Cracking the Coding Interview   View Answers (3)

Quality Assurance Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through recruiter. Overall communication with recruiter was very low standard and disorganized. They did not have a job description for the position which sounded weird as they covered it up saying it is a top secret project...lol. Is it so secretive that you dont even know why kind of resource you want...?

Recruiter initially mentioned it is for QAE III but I later found out it is a QAE II. First phone round with manager who confirms that no coding experience is required as it as QAE position and not SDET (Soft Dev in Test). Cleared phone round and was asked to come to Seattle, return ticket booked their travel agency put me on a 14hrs travel itinerary from coast to coast before getting me home :)

On-site interview with manager first in which he says that coding experience is expected for this position....i was like what the hell. I wouldn't have come to Seattle if you told me this before.....waste of time.....if I knew coding, why would I be a QA engineer...silly...He also mentions that 65 hours a week is routine an no holidays.....

Next 2 interviewers were a QAE and Prod manager, all QA questions, it was a breeze...then two rounds with developers who asked all kinds of coding questions, I tried providing them the logic as much as I can. Again....if I knew coding, why would I be a QA engineer...silly...
    So overall most disorganized interview process, painful travel and of course no offer, which I would have not taken anyways...

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Weird set of questions about constructing a search engine algorithm. Why would anyone waste time on something that has been done to death already? Not a very creative interview. That had a standard portfolio of questions they had to ask and they did not deviate from this list. I had high hopes for this interview because of how much I actually hold them in a very high regard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly unexpected, just not creative for a company that is supposed to be cutting edge.   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Was reached out to via LinkedIN by a recruiter. Applied on website and contacted by email a couple of days later. Phone screen about 5 days after that with a recruiter that asked me the basic pre-screening questions. A day later received email for another phone interview with someone HR. Interview happened a few days later and dove a little more into my skill sets and experience, I was given an opportunity to ask questions and I brought up the overwhelming negative reviews on Glassdoor in regards to work/life balance. The recruiter defended the company and said that "We work hard here to make history" which turned me off a bit as it typically just an excuse for overworking people. I accepted the answer and did not push further. I did not hear back for a week and figured I was eliminated from the process. I had to reach out to the original recruiter to find out the status and they apologized for not getting back to me. A day later I was scheduled for an interview with a manager. Had an hour phone conversation with the manager who seemed very robotic in his questions with generic "Kool-Aid" based questions and responses to questions I had. While speaking with him, I did have the Amazon page open for their core values in case I needed to reference them and during his speech of why Amazon is a great place to work, he systematically walked through each core value as they were written on the website. It was very awkward and uncomfortable. I did ask him about the work/life balance and what he thought and he responded back with another generic corporately correct response that answered nothing. I was happy to be done with the phone call in only an hour. This place is not for me! Needless to say, I have not heard back and don't expect to.

Interview Questions
    • None really, very generic questions you'd expect from any behavioral interview   Answer Question

Home Based VCC-CSA (Virtual Contact Centre Customer Associate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

After submitting resume I was asked to take an assessment test three days later, which was basically a personality test. Four days later I was contacted by Amazon recruiter. He asked me about my availability, computer equipment and if I had a land line. He set an appointment for me to interview with the Sr. Recruiter for the following day.
    Sr. Recruiter asked me the usual interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. I was contacted by an HR/Virtual CSA trainer four days later and was offered the job, contingent of background and drug test.

Interview Questions
    Seasonal employment, no negotiations.

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I don't like their interviewing process. The recruiter from Seattle was less responsive and you had to keep follow up to check on the status. I met her in person during my onsite interview. She was not so friendly. Before they brought you onsite, they gave you good directions on how to get to their site and what to expect from the all day interviews. They did not give any names of the interviewers afraid you would search on their backgrounds and gave the reasons that they could swap people due to their schedules. it seems their employees are busy with day-to-day work and interview candidates. On the same day of my interview, they were busy with multiple interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions were not related to my experience and job description. It seems the interviewer didn't even read my resume but asked questions based on his own background. I had to refresh him of my background. He then went to get a sets of questions probably from provided scripts and asked more relevant questions. I think that was not professional and gave candidate bad impression about the company. I think they should be better prepared. It is more like talking to robots where they just follow a routine. Some of them asked the same questions. That didn't make the process and use of time efficiently. Even if I didn't get the offer, I am not sorry. I don't think I like to work in this kind of environment. It is a good learning to be onsite and see how their work environment is. That is also a decision point if you want to work for them.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

I had a phone interview and online screening. Then I was selected for onsite interview. The onsite interview had 5 rounds. Two were design questions. Two were coding questions. One interview was with Hiring Manager. One of the design question was to determine the top ten clicks of the products in the Amazon.com website. I was asked which data structure I will be using for the problem and also how we will store it in the database.

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2014.

Interview process is very intense with at least three phone screenings by HR recruiters and at least one interviewer. Then a day of interviews is scheduled on-site with at least 7 interviews each lasting 45 minutes. Knowing the tenants of the company or the Leadership principles is very important and making sure they are reflected in your responses.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that your advice was not heeded and what did you do about it.   Answer Question