Amazon.com

4,139 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Trainee Finance Interview

Munich (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details First telephone interview with the company - with Senior Manager at Amazon in Munich. One simple question about the structure of a balance sheet and two business cases focusing on Amazon. No questions at all about my previous experience or my motivation for the job.

Interview Question – Business cases were unexpected since the recruiters specifically told me that the first interview would have been about my CV & work experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details I was contacted by a polite recruiter through LinkedIn. She arranged a phone interview for me. The guy that talked to me was very polite. The questions were of incremental difficulty. He started by asking basic data structures questions and then we did some coding.

Interview Question – Find if a word is anagram (e.g. ana is an anagram).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by University Recruiter. Sent to Seattle offices for their group interviews. The questions were not too hard, but it is important to start with a simple working solution and then iterate to a more complicated solution due to the time constraints.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted by the HR to schedule the interview.
Both the interviewers were nice and it was a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Q. Remove duplicates from an sorted array inplace. He was expecting a linear time solution for this.   View Answer
  • Q. A question on BFS.   Answer Question
  • Q. Reverse a linked list without modifying the existing list.   View Answer
  • Q. write code to detect if an array contains any duplicates?   View Answer

Vendor Manager Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details 3 interviews

Interview Question – What is your biggest achievement?
Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details Asked for a 90 minute phone interview after finding my resume online.

The call followed the pattern described by others here. There were several technical questions of medium difficulty. I was asked to write code for one in the language of my choice using a shared web page.

There was also a general discussion of an OO modelling problem.

There were no surprises or gotchas. The interviewer was not trying to be tricky. It was like an discussion you
might have at work about solving any problem.

Interview Question – The technical problems were of medium difficulty and not unsolvable. Just designed to show that you know how to think about software problems.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter the day after I applied through the Amazon careers page, and he booked a phone interview with a hiring manager. The interview was 1 hour long. It started with my experiences and for the coding part I was asked to solve a problem that involves some data structures.

Interview Question – I solved the problem in Java, but the hiring manager was more into C or C++, and didn't have much knowledge in Java.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Warehouse Associate/Stower Interview

West Columbia, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details It's a pretty easy process. I filled out the application the next day I received a email for my first interview(it's a phone interview) 2 days later I received my call for the phone interview and was invited to the amazon warehouse for a in person interview

Interview Question – No difficult questions just asked a about my past experience and if I understood what the job entailed   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I went into Integrity Staffing and had an interview and was offered a job right away but I did not get to really pick my schedule which ultimately lead to my departure.

Interview Question – No questions were asked.   Answer Question

Vendor Manager Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I was reached out to via recruiter. Over the course of about a month and a half went through three phone interviews and on site interview.

The first phone interview was with the recruiter, the second was with the hiring manager, and the third was with a "peer" in the group (in this case someone in finance). The recruiter was mostly interested in checking the boxes on the job requirements and qualifications and asked some softball "tell me a time" question or two. The hiring manager explained the scope of the role, asked why I was interested, and did not ask any behavior questions - was very informal and conversational. The "peer" interview was completely behavioral based questions as well as "why amazon". I was contacted by the recruiter after the third interview via e-mail that they would like to invite me to Seattle for an on-site interview.

For the on-site interview, they put you up in a very nice downtown hotel that's within walking distance of their campus. I had six separate one-on-one interviews including a lunch interview with the hiring manager and a meeting with the recruiter who goes over a very detailed "here's amazon's compensation program if you were to be hired here" outline. Be prepared to use a white board to detail out your thoughts - it's not required but it's the best way to illustrate complex ideas especially if your example is from outside of the industry and/or scope of experience of the person that is interviewing you. All of the questions will be in the form of "tell me about a time when" or "tell me how you'd approach this..." or "why Amazon, why this position, what will you bring to Amazon...".

I was very impressed with the organization of the process and the professionalism of everyone I interviewed with. The on-site interview is not easy because you will need to drill multiple layers deep into every answer you give because they want to weed out your actual level of knowledge rather than just accepting your initial superficial answer.

Three things to keep in mind for the on-site interview:
- If you live in the Central, Midwest, or Eastern part of the country, you will have to take a red-eye back if you absolutely have to be back to work the day after your interview. So either take the day off after your interview so that you can get a flight out the next morning, try and get the interview scheduled for a Friday, or be prepared to get off a plane at 6am and show up to work at your current job the next day.

- Amazon is spread out between quite a few unmarked buildings in the area, the only way you know you're at the right place is by the street address and the title of the building (typically named after an important part of Amazon's history).

- Read Amazon's leadership values on their website. Memorize them. Be prepared for your interview questions to test how will you fit those values. Have an example prepared in your head to answer a behavioral question for each of them. You will see very quickly that these values are significant to the company's culture in the interviews and so if you are truly interested in working at Amazon they should become important to you too.

Interview Question – You sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to the on-site interview so I will respect that and not give away any actual questions. Just make sure you understand Amazon's leadership values, know that you will be answering behavioral questions, and be prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was fair, the only negotiation was around the start date.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com