Amazon.com Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated 16 Apr 2015

3.3

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Passed my resume to a recruiter via LinkedIn and was contacted a few days later to schedule an Initial Screening with the Hiring Manager. I was then invited to the Amazon HQ for 6 in-person interviews about 2 weeks later. The interviews were about 45 minutes each and focused on Amazon's leadership principles. I was surprised by the number of behavior based questions there were, the interviewers would really dive deep to get the specifics of each answer you gave, but it didn't feel like an interrogation it was more like a conversation, which was nice! It was clear that everyone I met was incredibly smart and really looking for "Amazon" personality fit at this point. My best advice is to study Amazon's leadership principles along with your resume and be ready to go into great detail about how you showcased those same principles, be open to sharing your thought process and support anecdotes with quantifiable data as much as possible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a goal and made a plan to accomplish it, but competing requirements got in the way? How'd you manage your other priorities? Did you meet your goal? Why or Why Not? What did you learn from it? If you could go back, how would you have done things differently? Why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter for first round (positive impression); 2nd telephone interview with role manager who missed our originally scheduled time and had to reschedule the interview; 3rd telephone interview with another manager. 2 week break for scheduling onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of 5 in-depth behavioral based interviews. Returned home and had another telephone interview. I felt the interview process challenged me but It's one thing to push people to excel and another to pontificate about expectations from high upon a mountain. I definitely felt a "chill" in the air. I felt compelled to want the opportunity from the shear challenge in the role - not because of the way the interviewer's made me feel through the interview process. I would suggest anyone preparing for this role go in with realistic expectations and be prepared to be humbled. The follow up communication following the onsite interview was not very good - took a week and a half to get a response back from my recruiter. The hiring manager really led me to believe that I was going to get this position and that did not happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk in one of your previous roles?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied online and soon received an email asking to complete a pre-interview questionnaire - this contained questions around my motivation and biggest achievements + my salary expectations and other career opportunities I am considering.
    Shortly after submitting that I was contacted by a Recruiting coordinator setting up a phone interview with the manager of the team. The interview was very professional, the manager gave me a lot of information about the company and their recent projects and explained the role in detail. He asked me to do a brief overview of my experience and asked me just 2 questions but both of them were performance-based and very broad so that I had the chance to showcase my skills and achievements. Later the same day I got an email that the interview was successful and they set up another phone call with an internal customer.
    I knew Amazon does this - interviewing recruiters not only by other recruiters and HRs but also by business leaders and future internal clients (Hiring managers) and I really admire this approach. It is important that the internal customers also participate in choosing their future counterparts.
    The business leader I spoke with left me with a very strong impression of somebody who is passionate about recruitment and passive talent (something you definitely can't say about every HM out there) and asked me very relevant questions. They were actually interested in how I would approach the role and its challenges once I start and not so much in what I have done so far.
    A week after I was told I was successful and they wanted me to fly to the office for a day of in-person interviews. It took us about 1-2 weeks to sync our calendars but at the end Amazon accommodated my timing and flight requests perfectly.
    The whole travel was perfectly arranged and the hotel was great, I had all the info I needed so I didn't need to worry about anything else than my own interview performance.
    During the onsite, I had 5 interviews with people from Recruitment, HR and again representatives (on a high management level) from the business. I have read about the Amazon Bar Raiser programme and expected one of the business leaders to play this role but actually didn't feel anything like that during any of the interviews. The respective person was super friendly and informal and we had a great chat about the challenges of recruitment. I actually didn't feel that I had a bar raiser in the interview mix at all...
    All people I met were very welcoming, open and easy-going. They put a lot of time and effort in answering my questions, many of them started the interviews with that instead of leaving time for questions at the end and often I felt like I was interviewing Amazon and not vice versa :)
    The interview style was very competency-based and performance-based oriented with almost all standard questions around achievements, failures, difficult customers, persuasive skills and thinking on your feet. Be sure you come prepared with a lot of examples and most importantly - details! They will ask you a lot of follow-up and "What you could do differently?" types of questions.
    I also had a lunch meeting with a team member who was an absolute delight to speak with and I got the chance to ask a lot of off-the-record questions.
    I received feedback 2 days later that they would like to make an offer and got the offer the day after.

Interview Questions

• All competency-based and performance-based questions you could think of! Nothing really surprising.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

What a mess. I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter and we set up the initial phone screen. I talked to her and she seemed really excited about me, setting up a second round call while I was on the phone. She also mentioned since I work remotely another department may want me to, and copied me on an email to her colleague. The only person I ever heard back from was the very out of touch recruiter for the second round. She had no experience and couldn't keep her questions or responses straight. Not only did I get absolutely no response but for a large company I'm shocked by how unprofessional the folks representing the company are.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

5-6 phone interviews. Then an in person interview with 6 people. They flew me out and paid for interview expenses. The interview experience was nice. My only issue is the recruiter left me a voice mail letting me know I didn't get the position. She hasn't returned my calls. I took two days off of work to fly out and interview. The respectful thing would be to return my call regardless of the outcome. A voice mail is very unprofessional.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

Amazon recruiter proactively reached out to me and set up recruiter screen. Recruiter screen went well, so submitted me to several of his recruiting managers with open positions. Unfortunately, the recruiting manager that was the most interested was a perfect example of the stereotypical Amazon long-termer (10 years); super aggressive and confrontational. She spent 10 minutes pontificating about how hardcore she is as a manager and how she prides herself on being "direct"and quick to fire someone, if she doesn't think they are a "good fit". When I asked her about the tenure of her reports, she admitted that everyone on her team has been there less than a year... I knew very early in the interview, that I would never be willing to work for her. I believe she could tell and also declined.

Interview Questions

• How is recruiting @ Amazon better than @ your current employer?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

Had an internal referral and got a call screen within 3 days. Call screen was fine. Couple of days later got called for interview on site. Had answers prepared relating to all the leadership principles. Five different people interviewed me, back to back, which can be very intense for some.

They all seemed to ask the same questions so it's almost a test of perseverance and patience I guess.

Most annoying part of the process was them all clacking away on their ancient clunky looking notebooks. I thought they were taking notes, but I found out afterwards they're usually instant messaging one another.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really threw me to be honest, it was all the usual stuff, very operational. I was expecting the 'think outside the box google-esque' type questions but didnt get any.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I felt that the interview was a waste of my time. The entire process was pretty negative. They made it very clear what I didn't have and my lack of qualifications to try to prepare me for a low offer. I left the interview feeling like I had been hit by a car. It is not an interview. It is an interrogation to beat you down so low you accept a low ball offer. There are so many other companies that treat their employees better and pay at market rate.

Interview Questions

• Give me another example (they wanted multiple examples)   Answer Question

super low offer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted repeatedly on linkedin by both agency and amazon recruiters about positions there (if you have the word recruiter anywhere on your LI profile and live in Seattle expect to be contacted once or twice a week until eternity by Amazon). Ended up responding and working with an internal amazon recruiter for recruiters, did an initial phone screen with her, then did two more phone screens with two other recruiters before being brought in for a panel interview with 6 people.

It took a week afterwards to get to the offer negotiation stage, and I ended up pulling myself from the process at that point because it was very clear to me in my onsite visit that it wasn't a good fit or a healthy place to work as a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What Amazon core value do you most identify with?   1 Answer

Was concerned about work/life balance, 4 out of the 6 people I talked to seemed absolutely defeated/unhappy when I was talking to them, it was a very strange vibe on that team and it was clear they worked very long hours.

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in July 2014.

Interview

A Recruitment Coordinator was assigned in my application and would get in touch with me for any notification or clarification with regards to the application.

The Recruitment Coordinator appears to be professional in her communication and though I found it organized, I would have done it differently if I was on the other end of the court.

There was a long mail, an attachment on schedule of availability for you to fill-up. Phone interview was conducted for about 25 - 30 minutes by the Recruitment Manager. I was told at the end of the interview that they will update me whatever outcome there is - but have not heard from them til to date.

What I found to be interesting is that - they seem not well-informed with regards to people who needs work permit for cases who are non EU citizens but are residents in Luxembourg. Nonetheless, I just feel they should be much more knowledgeable as it will help the recruitment process easier and of course considering that they are in the profession where it is must to know such scenario.

But overall, it was satisfactory in the sense that the communication was clear, the agreed schedule was prompt and the quesries I asked were answered.

Interview Questions

• It is the usual behavioral questions aiming to find out your skills, attitude and stand pertaining to your field. Remember to review your CV, reflect on past experiences demonstrating how you handle a difficult situation or your accomplishments. Be prepared with - what is your expected salary for this position and why AMAZON.   Answer Question