American Cancer Society

Updated 8 Nov 2014
Updated 8 Nov 2014

2.8

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The process took about 4 weeks. I put in an application online and a day or so later I was emailed the questionnaire. A week after that, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward and consisted solely of situational questions. Less than a week later I was contacted by the hiring manager to have an in-person interview, which was very relaxed. Six days later I interviewed with the hiring manager and his boss.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Basic interview process. Initial screening through national office then sent to local office. Went through my resume line by line, asking how each individual experience / job related to working with ACS. Be prepared for almost no negotiation on salary, as they're determined to save as much money paying lower level employees to pad executive salaries.

No negotiation. They paid the minimum possible and would not budge.

Specialist, Community Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online less than a week ago. Set up a phone interview. Was disappointed in the phone interview, the recruiter called and then played an automated recording. 99.9% of the phone interview was done from this recording. Became very difficult to pay attention because with automated recordings they can be extremely hard to understand .

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a series of situation questions. "What if this happen..." etc.   Answer Question

Distingusihed Events Specialist Interview

Initial communication was a phone call in which they asked thirty situation questions in a thirty minute time period. These questions had to do mostly with volunteer management and controlling a committee and making sure they are kept on track and focused. Questions were fairly similar to the online questionnaire which they make you complete. Sometimes it felt like they were asking same questions in different ways.

Interview Questions
    • There was a couple instances where they asked questions in regards to discrimination and having a diverse staff, but if you are explain that you do not tolerate this and are a level headed person it should not catch you off guard too much   Answer Question

not enough salary

Special Events Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

After being contacted by a recruitment agency I was called for an over the phone interview. During this interview I was asked a series of awkward situational questions then asked to come in for a face to face interview. During the face to face interview I was asked questions about the position and if I thought I was a good candidate. This job was going to be a two month position and I would never work more than 37 hours a week.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't agree with a decision made by someone higher up in the company than you what would you do?   Answer Question

Event Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online to internships.com and received an email a few days later, and set up a phone call a week later. I talked to her over the phone, and reviewed my resume with her and was hired.

n/a

Office Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2014.

Applied online, didn't hear back for maybe a month. I received an email asking if I could schedule a phone interview. After the end of the phone interview, I was told my information would be passed on to the hiring manager on site. They emailed to let me know they chose someone with more closely related skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you divide up the work for a project shared with another person   View Answer

Distinguished Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Initial phone interview. Situational questions about working with people and staying organized. Then came in to meet two individuals from the department. They were both very nice and the interview flowed as a conversation. Pretty easy if you are really personable and can communicate well. Process took about 2 weeks max.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic questions that you could expect in any professional interview. The phone interview was the most difficult and more of a formality to make sure you aren't a joke.

Give me an example of how you work in groups.
      Communicated with someone with a difficult personality.
      Why do you want to work here?
        Answer Question
    No much room to negotiate

Community Mission Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Email correspondence to set up interview after initial phone interview. In-person interview with entire office staff. Overview of the job requirement and nature was provided in detail by different staff.

Office Coordinator Interview

Submit resume. Phone call within 2 weeks. First Interview with local office manager. Called in for second interview with Home Office HR. Received call within one week to accept the position.