American Cancer Society

115 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Mission Manager Interview

Community Mission Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details Email correspondence to set up interview after initial phone interview. In-person interview with entire office staff. Overview of the job requirement and nature was provided in detail by different staff.

Interview Question – Ability to work on evenings and weekends   Answer Question

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

Event Outreach Specialist
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2014.

Interview Details There were 2 phone interviews with a recruiter and then the hiring manager. They were both very pleasant. It was more like a conversation than an interview. I felt at ease after each interview.

Interview Question – How does your future plans align with our business direction?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told upfront what the salary was and agreed to it in the interview. There was no negotiations.

Relay Manager Interview

Relay Manager
Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2010.

Interview Details I had a total of 4 interview but the process has changed. I am not sure how to answer this this happened so long ago.They now do a hiring process that is not local but starts in Atlanta.

Interview Question – Tell me about your background in sales. ( i don't have one)   Answer Question

Community Manager - Development Interview

Community Manager - Development
Portland, OR (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2010.

Interview Details I started as a temp and met the ED. That is how I learned of the job opening. They post jobs to the internal system for a number of days before it goes live to the public. I had 2 interviews. The first was with the ED, the second was this the District ED and the ED. The questions were based on qualitative ideas. Why do you have a passion for cancer, etc. The never asked to see my diploma or called my references.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Office Coordinator Interview

Office Coordinator

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details Submit resume. Phone call within 2 weeks. First Interview with local office manager. Called in for second interview with Home Office HR. Received call within one week to accept the position.

Very Easy Interview

Hospital Systems Account Representative Interview

Hospital Systems Account Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in July 2010.

Interview Details First I had a phone interview with a few people from the department in the state's headquarters' office. Then I had a group interview with the regional director and the manager of the dept. Then a one on one interview with the V.P. at the time. The R.D., manager, and V.P. already knew me so it was comfortable and maybe easier interviews because of that. Interview process at the time was pretty easy and went smoothly. Almost everyone who took part in interviewing me have either been laid off or quit now though. The people who interviewed me in the specific office I was were specific in how I handled office drama which obviously meant they've had drama issues in the office. Again, many of those people aren't there any longer but unfortunately it'll happen wherever you go. Just stay out of it wherever you are.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult or unexpected, honestly. Not for me at least. Just be yourself. Know the position you're applying for. I was asked if they were to call my old employer, what would they say I may have struggled with. Again, be honest but make sure you know you had a plan on how you overcame it or how you're working on it. For example, I write everything down so I know I'm not missing anything. Or I'll have an extra pair of eyes check something before I print it or send it off.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job so I didn't negotiate but the pay was a lot higher than I thought it would be so I was pleased. Now that the organization is remodeling, the salaries have dropped so todays offers may not be as high.

Very Easy Interview

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2014.

Interview Details One over the phone interview asking basic background questions and if I had any connections to the company. Woman was very nice and even sent me an email about another potential job in the area I was staying at during the time

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Specialist, Relay for Life
Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2014.

Interview Details First, I applied to several locations through the ACS website. After applying online, I was sent a multiple choice questionnaire with situational leadership questions. The survey was pretty straight forward, asking about how you might handle certain situations with volunteers, event chairs, etc. It helps to know about the structure of a Relay for Life event. This lasted less than 30 minutes.

A few days after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview had questions similar to the online questionnaire, but allowed for a lot more open response. It was clearly scripted and felt a little robotic, but again, pretty straight forward. Questions centered mostly around "What would you do if..." It helps to have examples of how you have worked with conflict, volunteers, and accountability in the past. During this interview, we also discussed the specific locations, more details about the position, and a salary range. At this point, the recruiter decided which location we would be moving forward with out of the ones I applied for. This interview lasted about an hour.

A week later, I was contacted by a regional manager for another phone interview. This one started off with more questions about the position with regards to the specific office. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and was a lot more personal than the first phone interview. She asked about why I wanted to apply, why I thought I was the best for the position, and about situations where I had used specific skills. She tailored her questions to my previous job, so it was much less awkward to answer than the first interview which was more scripted.

A few days later, the regional manager reached out to schedule a face-to-face interview. This lasted just under an hour, and we discussed how I would handle certain issues that had come up in the past relay cycle. I would say this was the most relaxed of all the interviews. I got the impression it was more of a "fit" interview with a few follow-up questions based on my phone interview with her.

Within a few days, the recruiter called me with an offer.

Interview Questions

• An event chair and a logistics chair have been butting heads all year long. Now, the logistics chair emails you and CCs the event chair- she's done with the drama. She wants to take all her sponsors, and everything she has locked down to another Relay event, but she can't work with your event chair and your event any longer. How do you handle this situation?   Answer Question
  • MANY MANY MANY situational questions. Be prepared with specific examples of past experiences of dealing with conflict, and be ready to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Policy Coordinator Interview

Policy Coordinator

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details I got call for an interview. The scheduling process was very easy. I interviewed with two people, who, while very nice, read the interview questions off of a list. It didn't really allow for an organic conversation.

Interview Question – They asked a lot of very repetitive questions.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Specialist, Relay for Life

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details The first step is to apply online. After applying online, I was immediately sent a questionnaire that asked behavioral questions on how I would handle specific situations I might come across in working for the ACS. If you have leadership skills, or knowledge of the process, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what they're looking for.

About a week after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions that were close to those on the questionnaire, along with more information about the position and salary range information.

A week later, I was contacted to do another phone interview with the regional manager for another phone interview. This one consisted of several similar questions, but also much more information about the position and what it would entail. This interview last about 45 minutes. At the end of the interview, the manager asked me to come in for a "meeting" to meet her and other who worked in the office. This meeting took place a week after the phone interview, and last about an hour.

I received an offer for the position later that same day.

Interview Question – An organizational change occurs that you don't necessarily agree with, how do you get volunteers to buy into it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!