American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
352 interviews

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

The hiring process was easy. I went in for an application, filled it out in the store, and was given an interview the next day. The interview was easy, asked if I was bilingual, asked me how to sell a credit card.

The job is at one of the busiest malls in Las Vegas. We have lots of tourists. They are big on selling the Loyalty rewards and their Credit cards. Goal is to get one credit card per shift per employee. I got three credit cards on one shift, but a few days later, I was told I don't work hard enough to get the Credit Cards and my hours were cut by half. The store manager is not easy to talk to, they belittle and berate you if you get the slightest bit of confidence.
    Just work hard every shift to get the cards and rewards.

One thing that is hard to work with is the Call in Schedule. You're scheduled shift is 3:00 p.m to 5:30 p.m. but your call in schedule is 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. meaning you have to call in at 1:00 p.m. to find out if they need you or not.
    Days off, you may not even be scheduled, but you will have a Call-In schedule for that day. So, you're basically setting up your day as if you're working, but they may not even need you at all. Read the fine print before you sign this page, they make you sign it before explaining.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard.
      If this were your store, how would you sell me a credit card?
        View Answer
    Pay is 8.75 and non negotiable. No raise either for Jean Experts or Stylists.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2010.

Why do you want to work here?
    Are you into fashion?
    How would you style me for work?
    What was the last item you purchased from here?
    IF a customer is upset with size what do you do?

Assistant Buyer Interview

There were a lot of interviews in a short period of time. The final interview event was in Pittsburgh at the home offices. The final interviews lasted 2 days and were a mixture of presentations, in depth interviews, and social experiences to gauge one's personality.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2011.

I was finished with my masters degree and I needed a job. I dropped off my resume to the manager and she was a little awestruck at my educational background and work experience. She even said that I was so overqualified for this position. I told her that I really needed a job. She shook her head and said she would get back to me. I left and received a call ten minutes later from the hiring manager. She asked if I could come in now for an interview. I came back and met her outside.
    The entire conversation was quite easy and we talked about my going to graduate school in Michigan. She asked me if this was a goto job until I received a better offer. She told me three times that I was so overqualified. The entire interview lasted about a hour.
    The next day I was called for a second interview with the sales manager and store director. They asked me typical interview questions. That interview took close to forty minutes. I shook their hands and left. I got a call back in five minutes with a job offer. Even though I work for a communications company now, I still work holidays for this company.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about American Eagle? Do you think store expansion is important? How would you explain the history of the company to a customer? What is aerie? As a man I thought the last question was a little awkward. How would you rate us to our competitors and what are the differences you have seen?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Super relaxed- I went in and it wasn't an interview with your typical questions. Me and the manager just sat down and had a conversation about life and travel and such! It was really nerve calming and really fun!

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corpus Christi, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in to turn in an application and I got interviewed on the spot. They had me take a "survey" at the cash register and it asked me to check the box's next to the words that described me and then the next page was to check the box next to the words that described how I thought you should act at work. After that the manager proceeded to ask me a couple simple questions. I got a call two days later from another one of the managers offering me the job. I accepted. That following Sunday they had me come in to the store at 8:00 am with three other new hires for our "orientation" we all sat at a table and watched training videos and read over the employee work book. They provided doughnuts and candy for us to eat while we got to know each other. Once the store opened we got trained by some senior associates on how to do simple tasks. They had my schedule ready and I started a part time position about a week after the orientation.

Interview Questions
    • When are you available to start working?   View Answer
    • Do you have a reliable means of transportation?   View Answer
    • What is your current availability?   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words the describe you.   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words that describe how you think you should act at work.   View Answer
    She said there was a possibility to negotiate my pay but I was too stupid to ask for more money!

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2014.

I only had one interview with the store manager.. The questions were about your experience, education and the most important if you have customer service skills. I had to answer questions like what do you deal with customers? What do you think about customer services? and what is your availability for work?

Floorset Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Collierville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collierville, TN (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

It was literally the easiest interview I've ever gone to. I found out about the job because the manager came into the store I currently worked at and asked if anyone wanted to come work overnights. I figured it would be at least an extra $100 a month so I said sure.. Filled out an application and turned it in. They called about a week later and set up an interview. The interview was with me and two other people. We went outside and sat on a bench, she asked each of us one question and then told us we were hired. I think they were just desperate to get people in there.

They basically said "you're doing floorset and it's only 3 nights a month, so we're giving you $7.50". I didn't argue at all.

Part-Time Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I showed up ten minutes early to the interview. I looked around the store while I waited. The hiring manager found me and showed me where she would be interviewing me. She interviewed me in the right side of the store in the front and moved over a display to put my application down. Honestly, I thought it was unprofessional. She first asked me why I wanted to work at American Eagle. Then, she asked me about my past jobs. Then, she asked me to describe a bad and good experience that I had in retail. Then, she told me more about the job in which she explained that this would be seasonal until September and then they would decide if they wanted to extend me to till the holidays. And then after Christmas, is when they make decisions about permanent employment. She explained to me that there were no set hours. She explained that someone was angry who was hired because they had no hours for weeks. I thought that was sort of ridiculous. I know retail is unpredictable, but you need to have set hours to be able to pay bills. Then, I asked when I would know if I got the job and she told me Friday. Friday has passed so I am not sure if I got the job or not because she had mentioned she would be interviewing someone on Friday. All around the interview was not very hard.

Interview Questions
    • The worst retail experience you have had and what happen   Answer Question

Station Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I received a call early in the week from the manager discussing the position, pay, and benefits briefly. I had a face to face the next day. We went through the job description and some paperwork. He kept me inform on the days I should expect a call back to say if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you believe you should be hired?   View Answer
    • What would you do with an angry customer. How would you handle the situation.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!