American Express Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The whole interview process took one month. Went thru total 5 rounds of interview which included recuriter,HR, leader, trainer & Manager, HOD before i secured the position. Interviewer involved can be solo or in team.

Surprised that the process is fast even though it went thru many tiers of interview. Different from most of the companies which will only have 2-3 rounds of interview for a Team Leader position. However, i think the process is great as it help to identify the right candidate to be present to the final decision maker which is a norm for AMEX. Even the most junior position in the business unit needs to go thru 3 rounds before offered.

Interview Questions
    • This job required techinical skill and experience but i have most questions asked in personality and peoples managing. Real focus on leadership and only one listening skill test.   Answer Question

Foreign Exchange Specialist, North Sydney Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

They were hopless. I got an initial call with some questions, I was advised that a call next week will be made and an interview arranged. 3 weeks later I got the call finally with a day and time for the interview. I was advised that an email with details of location will be send, no email received and on the day of the interview I got a call from the manager to advise that she will be late. I told her that I did't get confirmation so I am not comming. She apologiezed and told me she will ring next week with new interview details. I got the call from HR and we talked about a date for the interview, I was told again that an email will be send to confirm. Needless to say I am still waiting for the email.

FX Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in March 2009.

Applied through the company website, got a call from my manager for the interview at following week. 2 managers interviewed me. The interview last for about 30 min. I tried to asked questions during the interview when they describing the job, but I think I asked too many questions and one of the manager told me it feels like i am interviewing them. (in a positive way). After the interview they contacted and asked if i would like to start my job after two weeks. I did not asked to go for the 2nd interview which I was a bit surprised.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think its the best way for manager to lead you in this organization?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Started at the career fair, Then had an on campus interview. This was half behavioral and half technical. After this you get moved onto a phone interview round. This round is also half behavioral and half technical, though the technical questions become more abstract. Overall, not too bad, the people that recruited me seemed to have freedom to move around in the company and to advance, so it seems that the company is structured nicely.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about setting up a mobile application to tell the user when he/she is in range of a food place he/she likes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

The questions asked in the technical tests were very algorithm-focused and also covered a lot of tricky corners cases in the syntactical details of the Java programming language. I was surprised the interview process took so long - it was just over 2 months from start to finish before I finally got an offer. In between I had 5 phone interviews, 6 on-site technical interviews, a drug test, a full background screening from an independent company and a personality test conducted by 4 of the senior project managers. Towards the end I was getting tired of the process and was tempted to let go of the position but the position was very convenient for me because it was such a short commute - unfortunately I ended up moving later because of external circumstances, but that's beside the point - it was a really long process - they certainly left no stone unturned.

Interview Questions
    • Plot a 10x10 matrix and, without using any additional Java library functions or built-in data structures, rotate the matrix by 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    There was next to no room for negotiation. I tried to get the salary increased but they said there was no room for movement.

Credit Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Express.

I went through three separate interviews all on separate days. It was difficult to wait because every day felt like an eternity.The final interview was the best because I did not know that the interviewer was the head of Credit Operations so I was just being myself and we had a few laughs. There was no pressure. Then she offered me the job and I thought that she was joking. It was dunny.

QA Analyst Interview

One round interview with the hiring manager. He was a nice guy asked some very simple questions, mainly behaviourial questions. Asked other question related to QA and they were not very difficult questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Met at career fair, had interview two 45 minute interviews on campus. Next round was on-site the following week, two interviews. The format of all the interviews were the same - a mix of behavioral/situational questions followed by some technical questions, most of which did not require writing code down. Interviewers were very friendly and supportive.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you creatively used your technology background to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • You are making a food recommendation app - what would yours look like   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Two 45 minute on campus interview, several behavior questions and cases questions, and introduction to the structure of the whole team. One week later received rejection. Interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • If expand our business into other country, what should be do?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2014.

Met with AMEX at a college career fair and had a great first impression. Everyone seemed really passionate and enthusiastic about the company. The process took about 2 weeks to get an interview from the career fair. People kept telling me that I would not need any technical skills for the job or interview and that they would teach me on the job.

The interview was suicide for a person who hasn't taken high level math and Java courses. Asked me to write code, solve math problems, and problem solve for various situations. There were behavioral questions, but mostly technical. Interviewers were very friendly and encouraging and I heard back from the interview 9 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Write the code for a program to find the maximum value and a value greater than or equal to the minimum value.   Answer Question