American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The whole interview process took one month. Went thru total 5 rounds of interview which included recuriter,HR, leader, trainer & Manager, HOD before i secured the position. Interviewer involved can be solo or in team.

Surprised that the process is fast even though it went thru many tiers of interview. Different from most of the companies which will only have 2-3 rounds of interview for a Team Leader position. However, i think the process is great as it help to identify the right candidate to be present to the final decision maker which is a norm for AMEX. Even the most junior position in the business unit needs to go thru 3 rounds before offered.

Interview Questions
    • This job required techinical skill and experience but i have most questions asked in personality and peoples managing. Real focus on leadership and only one listening skill test.   Answer Question

Foreign Exchange Specialist, North Sydney Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

They were hopless. I got an initial call with some questions, I was advised that a call next week will be made and an interview arranged. 3 weeks later I got the call finally with a day and time for the interview. I was advised that an email with details of location will be send, no email received and on the day of the interview I got a call from the manager to advise that she will be late. I told her that I did't get confirmation so I am not comming. She apologiezed and told me she will ring next week with new interview details. I got the call from HR and we talked about a date for the interview, I was told again that an email will be send to confirm. Needless to say I am still waiting for the email.

FX Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in March 2009.

Applied through the company website, got a call from my manager for the interview at following week. 2 managers interviewed me. The interview last for about 30 min. I tried to asked questions during the interview when they describing the job, but I think I asked too many questions and one of the manager told me it feels like i am interviewing them. (in a positive way). After the interview they contacted and asked if i would like to start my job after two weeks. I did not asked to go for the 2nd interview which I was a bit surprised.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think its the best way for manager to lead you in this organization?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

A recruiter reached out saying that this was a good fit. There was the standard 30-minute chat about the position. He sent a link to fill out their online application, which the manager reviews and supposedly reaches back. After that point, the recruiter fell off the face of the earth with no word from them for two months, despite emailing the recruiter after a month. I finally got a dreaded email when I already forgot that I even applied. Overall, very unprofessional and disorganized.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in December 2014.

It was so much fun and modern. They used Hireview. It was so cool. Its just in your own home with your pc. You get to practice a lot. I hope they hire me.

Interview Questions
    • What difficult task did u do and how u addressed them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in December 2014.

They were looking for a developer with 1 to 3 year experience. I had a phone call from AMEX as to just give their introduction and to know my area of interest. I have convinced them that I can be a perfect employee for your requirement. Then they arranged for a face to face interview. Below is the process for f2f interview.

1. Small technical test (c, tree, heap-max, semaphore, bit shifting, time analysis (finding order of execution O(n) etc.) and one program)
    - data shifting had 1>>-1 kind of questions also.
    2. Coding test: whatever program we have written in test, implement that. Optimal reusable solution should be implemented. (with internet access)
    3. F2F interview including questions on your coding test, improving your code's re usability and how it can be fitted into OO design.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to convert number into word:
      input: 16203
      output: Sixteen thousand two hundred three

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

Good and very well arranged interview process.

Had 2 interviews: 1 phone interview and 1 onsite.

Phone interview: It was pretty technical. The interviewer covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Core java, javascript, Spring, basic algorithms, agile, questions based on technologies mentioned in resume etc. The interview started out basic and started expanding into many directions. If you have good depth in the core java concepts the interview should be smooth sailing.

Onsite interview: The interview had 2 rounds and it was majorly behavioral. One round was known as "cognitive interview". It was basically to know how someone approaches a solution by understanding the problem rather than what the solution is. The usually tell a problem scenario and want to see how you ask questions for that problem and when finding a solution what all did you consider before arriving to the solution. The other one was called "resume review" but it was more on basic experience, future focus, why Amex sort of questions.

Overall easy interview and very fast results.

Interview Questions
    • Questions known as "Guesstimates". There are usually asked for consultant type role. But they ask them to understand your problem solving skills. Read more about "Fermi problems" to understand what they mean.   Answer Question

Engineer In Technology Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Contacted American Express through a university career fair. I was contacted through the university's system for on campus interviews. I had two interviewers over the course of an hour and a half. Questions were a mix of behavioral and technical. A few of the questions involved writing code; the rest were designing architectures or providing general problem solving methods. A few weeks later I interviewed at their offices. Two more interviewers, and more of the same questions. The majority of the technical questions were really memorization questions, not requiring much in the way of critical thinking. About a week after that round of interviews, I was called and given an offer.

Got the feeling that low level work was a drag - only the higher-ups I met seemed to enjoy working there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a phone interview. I went through two rounds of phone interviews with two engineers each time. I don't know if it is planned this way or not, but for both rounds of interviews the initial interview was with a really encouraging and motivational engineer and then followed up by a distant more serious individual. It kind of threw me off my game going from the "yeah I got this" to "where did I mess up" mindset, but in the end I had a great experience Interviewing with American Express. The engineers had more enthusiasm than other places I had interviewed with, and did not come across as brand ambassadors. They also answered questions candidly. I found a lot to respect.

Interview Questions
    • The questions ranged from simple to more difficult. They also included behavioral, technical, and brain teasers. Some examples, what is the difference between a process and a thread; The knapsack problem reduced; The traveling salesman problem reduced to a subset of cities; How would you design a food rating application?   Answer Question
    I asked for more, but they wouldn't budge on the offer.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I submitted an application via the website and was contacted about a 10 days later by HR. We scheduled an interview and the HR person called me about 20 minutes late and said she had to reschedule. We managed to connect later that day, and she was very nice and professional. We had a detailed discussion about my background, skills, etc. She advised she would speak with the hiring manager and get back to me. A couple of days later, HR reached out to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager. He and I spoke for about 45 but he barely asked me any questions. He spoke in depth about the role, the company, and his background, and I was very interested. I was waiting for him to ask me something, anything, but he never did. I tried to interject my experience as it related where I could, but I never had the opportunity to really speak. A week later I was told I was not selected for another interview. I felt like perhaps I was just a number to fill a quota of interviewing X amount of candidates and I never really had a shot.

Despite that, I still am interested in working here and hope I have another opportunity someday for a role that may be a better fit.

Interview Questions
    • The most surprising question was the ones that weren't asked - I never was asked anything!   Answer Question