American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated 20 Jan 2015
Updated 20 Jan 2015

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express.

Contacted by HR, then hiring leader. Went through interview, competenceny based then technical questions. I'd suggest reaching out to the hiring leader first. Do some homework. You need to know the role and the business unit. When I had my interview, it was almost like I am talking to my leader already. We shared views on what we can do as a team next.

Not really fun.

Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The whole interview process took one month. Went thru total 5 rounds of interview which included recuriter,HR, leader, trainer & Manager, HOD before i secured the position. Interviewer involved can be solo or in team.

Surprised that the process is fast even though it went thru many tiers of interview. Different from most of the companies which will only have 2-3 rounds of interview for a Team Leader position. However, i think the process is great as it help to identify the right candidate to be present to the final decision maker which is a norm for AMEX. Even the most junior position in the business unit needs to go thru 3 rounds before offered.

Interview Questions
    • This job required techinical skill and experience but i have most questions asked in personality and peoples managing. Real focus on leadership and only one listening skill test.   Answer Question

Foreign Exchange Specialist, North Sydney Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

They were hopless. I got an initial call with some questions, I was advised that a call next week will be made and an interview arranged. 3 weeks later I got the call finally with a day and time for the interview. I was advised that an email with details of location will be send, no email received and on the day of the interview I got a call from the manager to advise that she will be late. I told her that I did't get confirmation so I am not comming. She apologiezed and told me she will ring next week with new interview details. I got the call from HR and we talked about a date for the interview, I was told again that an email will be send to confirm. Needless to say I am still waiting for the email.

FX Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in March 2009.

Applied through the company website, got a call from my manager for the interview at following week. 2 managers interviewed me. The interview last for about 30 min. I tried to asked questions during the interview when they describing the job, but I think I asked too many questions and one of the manager told me it feels like i am interviewing them. (in a positive way). After the interview they contacted and asked if i would like to start my job after two weeks. I did not asked to go for the 2nd interview which I was a bit surprised.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think its the best way for manager to lead you in this organization?   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

1. Online application followed by online testing
    2. Telephone interview - competency based (30 mins)
    3. Assessment Centre - 2 interviews, case study + presentation, group exercise

It might look scary like this, but I have to add the most important - people are extremely positive and outgoing, trying to help you do your best and show your skills. A smile is the word that describes best American Express. Best culture, easy to approach people, extremely open and friendly. Best interview experience, great organisation (breakfast, lunch, chat with current placement year analysts)!

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The recruitment team carry out initial telephone screening and arrange face to face interviews.
    The face to face interview over 4 hours with 6 different people was a farce & all over the place.
    The job was re- advertised before they had communicated to confirm I was unsuccessful, and I had to email them to ask the outcome!!!

Home Based Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

Applied 2 weeks before Christmas. Within a few days I received an email saying they wanted to do a virtual interview. They preferred you answer in STAR method. After doing interview which was mostly behavioral questions, I didn't get any feedback until 2nd week of January; they told me I didn't get the position.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

I have contacted by recruiting team, then interviewed by 3 Directors by phone. Final interview was face to face with Vice President and Executive Vice President. I had to fly to London, it was offered to me to do it by phone, but adviced to come personally

Finance Industrial Placement Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

CV/Cover Letter
    Online Assessments
    Telephone Interview - basic questions, who are AmEx? Why Finance? What do I know about UK involvement? AmEx products?

Assessment Day with a select number of candidates,
    It was a very enjoyable day of interviews and activities; we completed a case study and presented it, took part in a team-based task as well meeting the current interns.
    The interviews themselves were well structured and allowed a lot of questions back, creating a good dialogue between the interviewer and interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me an example of a time you persuaded somebody to your way of thinking   Answer Question

Operations Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Online Assessment (verbal, numerical) followed by telephone interview;
    Standard interview questions - why your degree, why amex, why that role, give a time you were ambitious, five words a previous manager would say about you, give an example of how you organised your time
    Successful candidates progress to an Assessment Centre (I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding this)