American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

Foreign Exchange Specialist, North Sydney Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

They were hopless. I got an initial call with some questions, I was advised that a call next week will be made and an interview arranged. 3 weeks later I got the call finally with a day and time for the interview. I was advised that an email with details of location will be send, no email received and on the day of the interview I got a call from the manager to advise that she will be late. I told her that I did't get confirmation so I am not comming. She apologiezed and told me she will ring next week with new interview details. I got the call from HR and we talked about a date for the interview, I was told again that an email will be send to confirm. Needless to say I am still waiting for the email.

FX Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in March 2009.

Applied through the company website, got a call from my manager for the interview at following week. 2 managers interviewed me. The interview last for about 30 min. I tried to asked questions during the interview when they describing the job, but I think I asked too many questions and one of the manager told me it feels like i am interviewing them. (in a positive way). After the interview they contacted and asked if i would like to start my job after two weeks. I did not asked to go for the 2nd interview which I was a bit surprised.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think its the best way for manager to lead you in this organization?   Answer Question

Learning Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2012.

The overall experience was pretty efficient. The recruiter did a great job keeping me informed throughout the entire process. I had a phone screen with the recruiter, a face to face with the hiring manger, and several phone interviews with team members in NY.

I didn't negotiate

Senior Analyst, Campaign Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via email after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 20-30 minutes long with general questions asked and background information given about the role. The usual "you seem great, I'm going to give your resume to the hiring manager and if interested in setting up a face-to-face, we'll reach back out later on this week." Very pleasant. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later to schedule a face-to-face interview. Met with the whole six-member team each with 30 minute interviews from 9a - 12 noon. Everything went really well. General questions were asked. No case questions. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had an extra year of experience over on me.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express.

I applied online. I got a response the next day that they weren't interested. Likely based on the fact this would have been my first at home customer servicing positions.

Interview Questions
    • You will need to explain an instance where you have worked in a similar capacity.   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Applied through a recruiter. She set up some time with the hiring manager for a first round over the phone, after which I was invited to two 2nd round interviews, one with the hiring manager and colleague, and one with the VP. Although the interview process went through very quickly because of the urgent need to fill the role, American Express can take time to process things.

Work From Home Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Applied online. Received response approximately one week later for initial interview via webcam thru Hirevue. Approximately two weeks later received a phone call to set up second interview the following day. Completed second interview and was told would receive email or phone call for third interview. Received rejection letter stating I had not made it to the job offer portion of the process. Interview with webcam basic questions, however the interview with live person was very thorough. They state up front there is a background check that goes back to the age of 18 and a drug test. I stated that would not be a problem.

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR method questions. You definitely need to have your A game on and be prepared and be specific. In hindsight, I can see where I could have done a little better.   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ocean Springs, MS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS (US)

I filled out the application on the American Express Careers website and attached my resume. From that I was contacted for an interview. The interview was done as a recorded interview with the video camera being utilized. I do feel that the recorded interview process was a bit awkward and impersonal. I would have preferred to have spoken with a "real" person. It felt a bit like making one of those dating site videos instead of a job interview. And with no interaction with another person, I don't feel it gave your true abilities a chance to shine through.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard and straightforward interview questions.   View Answer

ER Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Competency based questions. Telephone, in person and panel interview. Questions that asked to give an experience that demonstrated a particular competency that is required for job. Usually selection is made after 3 rounds of interviews.

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at American Express.

I applied on line and submitted a resume. I was called for an interview during which interviewer's main concern was that I was overqualified for the position, based on my previous assignments, which was probably right. I explained that all my previous assignments required heavy international travel and I had decided not to travel anymore. He was persuaded that I was not going to be a short timer filling time, and that is the way it worked out.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can interact successfully with card members over the phone, with no face to face interaction?   View Answer
    The mission of the interviewer is to ascertain your strengths and weaknesses for the position. You have to be very straight, direct and concise with your answers, maintain full eye contact and a positive can do attitude. You must be prepared with full knowledge of the company, financial aspects, main products and services.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!