American Red Cross

Updated 21 Nov 2014
Updated 21 Nov 2014

2.7

Communications Specialist Interview

Had a phone interview. The interview read a checklist of pre-packaged questions about whether I was willing to work flexible hours when needed. The phone interviewer didn't even ask me about myself, just recited what the Red Cross was about and asked if traveling would be a problem, etc. It took only about 5 minutes. It seemed to be more of a screening than an interview. I was then asked to fill out an online application and send it on to the actual hiring manager who will narrow down the field.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

- first contact was through an internship fair at my university
    - received an email from the recruiter requesting to schedule an interview
    - they did not have time to interview me until a month later so that was a bit inconvenient
    - attended the interview expecting to be talking to one person, but instead I was interviewed by a panel of 4 HR staff members
    - interview was pretty standard and they were all very kind
    - I received an email a few days later requesting a background check
    - after the background check was completed I was officially offered the position and I accepted

Interview Questions
    They were very open to working with my class schedule.

Fundraising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

I am a current volunteer and received word about this position from a staff member. I was told that the only reason I got a job interview (like many others) was because I was already involved with the organization. I completed the online application, and then got an unexpected call to do a phone interview late at night about a week after I submitted the application. The interview lasted for about 30 min. One week after the first interview I was asked to come in for a one on one interview.

Collections Technician II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

I applied online and within two weeks was emailed by a talent recruit for a phone interview.The phone interview was 10-15 minutes and pretty standard questions about experience and conflict resolution.A few days later I was contacted by a HR recruiter and was set up for an in person interview that lasted about 20 minutes.Was told I would find out within a week if I got the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you used a new technical device or application that you were unfamiliar with.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

First phone screening is from HR from headquarters (Washington, D.C.). Once you move on to the next round, you will hear from your direct manager and will have basically the same conversation as you did the first time. You then may have another phone conversation with your direct manager's manager. I didn't however, because he had already made his decision.

Interview Questions
    • If you could paint a picture of yourself what would it look like? (think about your mantra on life for this question)   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Applied online via the Red Cross website in July 2014. Received an email around Labor Day from HR requesting an interview by phone. Spoke on the phone to the HR contact for approximately 30 minutes (more so about the organization with few details about the position) One week later, I received a call from a separate HR person asking to schedule a phone interview with the department head. Spoke to the department head for half an hour. This was followed by a call back from the same HR person who then scheduled for me to come into their office for an interview with the department head (and her underlings). By now, it is the third week of September.

I received a detailed email from Red Cross HR with directions to their office, and format for the meeting (was to meet 1 on 1 with 4 people, in a certain order) Included with the mail was a PDF detailing employee benefits.

On the day of the face to face interview, I got to their office early, and waited nearly a half hour past the scheduled interview start time for someone to come down and retrieve me from the security office. Instead of meeting 1 on 1 with the team, as expected, I met with three people at once (likely due to our not starting on time) followed by a 1 on 1 meeting with the department head, who I previously spoke with on the phone.

At the end of the interview, I was told that I would find out the following week if they would make an offer, or not. Two weeks later, I received an email from their HR department stating that an offer was not going to be made (first week of October)

Everyone I met/spoke with was pleasant, friendly and dedicated to their work.

Account Manager Interview

Easy one on one interview about past work history. They are interested in people who can work with other people as opposed to educational requirements. Willing to train the right person and directors are great communicators with an extensive sales background

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview. During the interview they went over my previous work experience and asked how my previous experience will help in the job I was applying for.

Willing to negotiate

Volunteer Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview was approximately 2 hours long and I met with the director and my immediate manager. They also invited another volunteer manager in to the interview and I had the opportunity to ask questions about the position.

The Red Cross does not pay well at all, I took a pay cut to work in this position

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

There were three interviews in all. First a phone interview with HR representative with basic questions about past employment and qualifications, as well as, why you want to work for Red Cross.
    Second interview with supervisor and manager. All questions came from standard format: can you perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations, tell about a time when you gave great customer service, tell about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker, how many times a year is it acceptable to miss work, tell about a time when your schedule was changed on short notice and were you able to accommodate. There are a few more about work behaviors and conflict resolution. Third interview was with manager, supervisor, and staff nurse and questions were very similar to previous interview. That day got offer and sent for drug screening. There was an online background check. Training started a week later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, all wages and benefits are set by union contract