AutoTrader

Relevance Date Difficulty

Digital Media Designer Interview

Digital Media Designer
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in December 2010.

Interview Details Did not apply for any related job. Contacted by recruiter by phone. Recruiter interviewed me over the phone to confirm experience/skill level and schedule an in office interview. Interview in three parts: panel, written test, flash skills test. Panel interview had two supervisors and a level two and lasted 30 mins or so. Questions were STAR format (situation, task, action, result) so they wanted you to focus on specific events in your work history. Test had 10 simple actionscript questions. Skills test was 45 mins and they ask you to create a flash banner ad. ActionScript animation or demonstration of skill highly recommended.

Interview Question – Questions are pretty straightforward. I did not have an example for a situation where I had made a mistake and had taken action to correct it.   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader.

Interview Details The interview process is run by HR. Each department has an HR representative. They handle the screening, set up, and execution of the process. HR does a very thorough, professional job. You must enter all your resume data into their online system. It's a pain after you've gone to all the trouble of creating a .DOC, but it is what it is. Not unusual for these days. You go through one or two phone interviews, then two on-site sessions where you may see four or five individuals by the end of the day. Drug screening, criminal and financial histories are checked.

Interview Question – Depends on what you're going for. I didn't encounter anything weird.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. The offer was much better than I was doing at the time. I didn't push much.

Director, Product Management Interview

Director, Product Management
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader.

Interview Details Typical STAR format. Phone screen with HR and most often second interview will be with two managers (minimum). Often a third interview will follow with higher title within reporting structure.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy but company will not budge on additional vacation days.

Informatica Developer Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at AutoTrader in February 2008.

Interview Details Hiring process was pretty straight forward.. Phone Interview with hiring manager followed by a half day face to fact with manager, director and then team

Interview Question – The interview was almost 5 years ago so i don't remember much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had an opportunity to negotiate.. but I was getting paid a lot more than the previous employer so i took the offer without thinking about it. If i could go back i would negotiate.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader.

Interview Details Worked through a recruiter... VERY professional interview where I was asked relevant questions. The company gave me a very good impression.

Interview Question – How to solve an Excel equation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiations.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Dunwoody, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in July 2012.

Interview Details I was referred by a staffing agency. They set up a phone interview with the manager and another team member. The questions were very basic about what type of work was I currently doing. The interview was very relaxed and straight forward.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult for me since I knew how to communicate what I do   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiting agency had already establishe a pay rate

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at AutoTrader in October 2011.

Interview Details Called by an internal recruiter and went over the position and company. After discussion I was set for an interview at their Atlanta office, which is located off 400 in one of the busiest areas of the city. During the interview, which was scheduled for an hour and a half, lasting more than two hours, I was interviewed by three levels of management. Most questions were situational based while others were personality related. At the end, they requested I take a paper test related to the position which is either a know it or not type test. It asked to find trends on a data sheet, complete the series of numbers and shapes etc.

The company speaks of the culture as competitive and allows for a work life balance. Based on those I met, I could only imagine them all trying to be the smartest in the room.

Interview Questions

Trainer Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at AutoTrader in April 2011.

Interview Details I had applied online for a training position and never received any news. I later had a former employee of AT sumbit my resume and received a call from HR the next day saying that they were very interested in interviewing me. The HR person told me the hiring salary range for my experience and asked me if I was interested before setting up the interview. A day before the interview I received a phone call from HR again saying that the salary range she told me ended up being much higher than the manager would make an offer for and they wanted to know if I was still willing to proceed with the interview. I interviewed the next day with 2 different managers...they used a script and took turns reading questions to me. Since this was a training position, I asked them if the other trainers were using Captivate to create their e-learnings and/or develop their training content. They told me that they and their staff were just learning that software and that was a goal for their department. I brought along my laptop and showed them several samples of presentations that I had developed, as well as, giving them a copy of a CD with other examples of my work. The manager told me that she would follow up with me in a week. I sent a follow up email to thank both interviewing managers for their time and I never heard back. I had to contact HR myself to find out that they decided to hire internally.

Interview Question – What was one experience that you had where it turned out to be a positive learning experience for yourself?   View Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AutoTrader in March 2009.

Interview Details Recruiter found my resume/profile online via LinkedIn and initially reached out via email.

Once we went over my background and basic skills, we set up three 1:1 interviews with different members of the other departments with whom I would be working. Smart questions were asked by each interviewer, but nothing "sneaky" or trying to put me on the defensive in any way.

Second round of interviews was not needed.

Salary RANGE expectations were discussed with the recruiter on the initial phone screen to ensure neither one of us was wasting the other's time.

Offer was actually made by the hiring manager followed up by a written offer from recruiting. Drug and Background checks performed after offer was completed.

Interview Question – Describe how you hanled a tough situation is a previous job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Know your own marketability (using this glassdoor.com site is great) is key.

User Interface Engineer Interview

User Interface Engineer
Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at AutoTrader in December 2008.

Interview Details Met with several engineers. Discussed background and skill sets. Answered some problem solving skills.

Interview Question – Several questions regarding browsers, CSS and JavaScript.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiations went fairly well.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoTrader interview questions and advice in Atlanta, GA. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by AutoTrader employees and interview candidates.