BDO USA

Updated 5 Dec 2014
Updated 5 Dec 2014

2.7

Consulting Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BDO USA.

Phone interview followed by face to face interview with a panel of 5 people - MD, Directors, Senior Manager and Manager. More of a fit interview than a technical or skills interview.

None

Tax Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at BDO USA.

Gave them my resume at campus career fair. Followed up and earned an on campus interview. Interviewed with 1 tax manager. Asked me a few basic questions, nothing caught me off guard. Talked about himself and the company most of the time, which was both informative and a little relieving. In fact, I thought I had a bad interview because I barely got to "sell myself" to him and the firm. But, a couple days later they made me a generous offer.

Did not bother even trying to negotiate, the offer was very generous.

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BDO USA.

Applied through college. The interviewer did not ask any technical questions. Mostly about you, why you want to join BDO, how do you see yourself in 5 years. Just be yourself and relax

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself, behavioral questions. No hard questions.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BDO USA.

I applied through a campus career office and got scheduled an interview. The night before the interview there was a dinner that BDO took all the scheduled interviewees to. The setting was relaxed and there was no push to really socialize, really just an event to make us relax and meet the 1 or 2 associates that are at your table. Standard campus interview of 30 min, the first question threw me off and got me nervous, effected the rest of my interview negatively. Its been over a week but no reply as to whats happening with my recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • started with "tell me more about yourself" then straight onto "how many pc's are there in the US"   Answer Question

BDO USA Response

Nov 11, 2014CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

We would like to see you receive a more timely reaction to your interview and I have to agree the PC trivia question is a surprising one and not so helpful in determining the best candidates to join ... More

Tax Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BDO USA in November 2014.

Campus Hiring. First round is on-campus interview with a senior manager. No difficult questions. The interviewer was really want to get to know me.
    I got the 2nd round notice in the following week.
    In-house interview with a partner, a senior manager, an associate.
    Got the offer 1 week later.

Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BDO USA in November 2014.

I submitted my resume through a career fair on campus. In general there were two official rounds of interview. After the resume screening, I was chosen for an on campus interview which last about 30-45 minutes with a director of assurance; the atmosphere was relaxing, mostly conversational;
    I got an email within a week to learn that I was invited to an office interview. The evening before the office interview, I went to a pre-interview dinner at a local restaurant where I met up with 10+ other candidates and BDO staff. It was very informal just to get to know the firm.
    In house interview consisted of 3 interviews back to back with 2 Managers and 1 partner. They started with introducing themselves and asked questions about me, my experience and some behavioral questions like tell me how you deal with difficult person, how do you work in a team.. etc. No technical questions. They didn't give me any updates so after two weeks I tried to follow up and got an automated email (with some mistyping) saying I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BDO USA.

Applied through campus recruiting. Did my first interview on campus. Interviewer promptly started off by asking why BDO, why you, why audit. Then, it became a conversation more or less. Very laid back. Easy first interview. It took them about 2 weeks for me to find out I got the 2nd interview. 2nd Round got one on one interviews with National Partner, Audit Sr Manager, Audit Manager, and Audit Director all for about 30 minutes each. Then went to dinner with new hire associates and the Sr. Associate. Got one technical accounting question, which was fairly easy. Don't worry if you get the answer wrong, as long as you can think the process through and understand how to solve the case conceptually, you will be fine. Everything else was behavioral or conversational. The whole 2nd round took about 4 hours. I was with a group of 5 other candidates. Still waiting to see if I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose BDO? Why did you choose audit? What about BDO interested you? The audit director laid out a scenario and told me how I would record the transaction, reverse the transactions, and reconcile it.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BDO USA.

Had an on campus interview first which lasted for 30 mins. i was then invited to the office for 3 interviews with partners and managers and had lunch. The interviews were pretty conversational

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BDO USA.

I initially met with a partner for an on campus interview - very conversational. The next week I went to their office and I had three one on one interviews with a partner and two managers - also very conversational.

I had another offer.

Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BDO USA.

Phone and then in person interview there was nothing difficult about it. Pretty standard interview process. After the decision was made to make an offer they do a background check.

They wanted me to take a lower salary, I said I couldn't