BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

2.9

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.

Data Improvement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Was recruited through an employment company on contract basis. Interview process was limited because they wanted my expertise. Phone interview firstly then a 1:1 interview with the HR manager. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can I bring to the company long term.   View Answer
    Accepted the job on their base offer.

Senior Maintenance Technician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview about code of conduct and behavioural based questions, give examples in the star basis, situation, task, action, result. Process takes around an hour, research the BHP code of conduct and you will find it easy.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

set price

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question

Engineering Vacation Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Successful online application, followed by SHL testing.

Was then interviewed over the phone, questions revolved around what I knew about BHP, why I wanted to work there etc.

Proceeded to a face-to-face interview with an engineer and HR rep. It had a large focus on behavioural questions which were designed to be challenging and probing.

No negotiation.

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2013.

After completing the online applications I received a phone call to organise a time between an HR officer and the person to whom the role is subordinate to.

An email was sent with confirmation details as well as an email with details for online psychometric testing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have demonstrated your personal commitment to safety...   View Answer

HSE Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2012.

Top-grading followed by technical interview that delves into technical skills

No issues

Vacation Student Iron Ore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2012.

Online numerical, verbal reasoning and logic test. Followed by phone interview and face to face with hr recruiter. No technical questions all the usual behavioural kind, "tell me a time when you witnessed something unsafe, what did you do?"

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you had a problem at school or work, how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    Vacation program so no negotiation terms. Probably would be able to negotiate holidays

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2012.

Online application followed by SHL testing, phone interview (motivation questions) and finally onsite interview that focused on behavioural type questions. Nice office building located in downtown Perth, supportive colleagues and a very pleasant working environment. Work allocated, in my case, was pretty challenging and I had the pleasure of flying to site to see the actual mining process.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions asked, all were situational e.g. tell me a time where...   Answer Question