BHP Billiton

Getting the Interview

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Vacation Student Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details Successful online application, followed by SHL testing.

Was then interviewed over the phone, questions revolved around what I knew about BHP, why I wanted to work there etc.

Proceeded to a face-to-face interview with an engineer and HR rep. It had a large focus on behavioural questions which were designed to be challenging and probing.

Interview Question – Have you ever acted unethically, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Summer Internship Interview

Perth, Western Australia

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2012.

Interview Details Online application followed by SHL testing, phone interview (motivation questions) and finally onsite interview that focused on behavioural type questions. Nice office building located in downtown Perth, supportive colleagues and a very pleasant working environment. Work allocated, in my case, was pretty challenging and I had the pleasure of flying to site to see the actual mining process.

Interview Question – No technical questions asked, all were situational e.g. tell me a time where...   Answer Question

HSE Supervisor Interview

Perth, Western Australia

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2012.

Interview Details Top-grading followed by technical interview that delves into technical skills

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No issues

Reliability Engineer Mechanical Interview

Reliability Engineer Mechanical
Perth, Western Australia

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2013.

Interview Details After completing the online applications I received a phone call to organise a time between an HR officer and the person to whom the role is subordinate to.

An email was sent with confirmation details as well as an email with details for online psychometric testing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have demonstrated your personal commitment to safety...   View Answer

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Graduate Mechanical Engineer
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2011.

Interview Details Apply in February, online psychometric testing in march, assessment centre with group of ~30 people in April. Offers given in May but contract did not arrive until late July. There was only one interview and it was with HR, which was a little disappointing.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself living in a remote community?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I chose not to negotiate because I am a graduate and was only given one offer

Sales Interview

Sydney

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2010.

Interview Details Positive all the way. They were lookin for sales personnel and I am one. They determind that by some simple qualifying questions, that I had no problem answering, and after relevent checks I was offered the job.

Negotiation Details – Yes I was. They didn't baulk at my offer as they had already determined that I knew the sales process.

Human Resources Interview

North Mackay

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2009.

Interview Details I applied online for a summer holiday position via the internet. I received a phone call advising me of a time and date for a telephone interview. I had the interview and here are some of the questions they asked me. How would you contribute to the organisation? What was you favourate subject at Uni? Can you tell us what you know about BHP? Are you able to work oniste? Can you relocate if required?

Interview Question – What was your favourite subject at Uni   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, took over a month to receive a request for a phone interview, after that never heard back from them, kind of disrespectful, just have the courtesy of sending the automatic email saying no.

Interview Question – Nothing really hard, flowing conversation with hiring manager   Answer Question

Reservoir Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details Met them at Career Day at school. One day before interview they took all candidates for dinner to an steak house. The interview lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. The main interviewer was sitting across from me asking me questions. The second interviewer was sitting next to me observing my body language.

Interview Question – What was the lowest point of your previous internship experience?
Why do you want to intern at BHP Billiton?
In general their interviewing style was friendly but very inquisitive. They questioned me on all my great previous academic and internship achievements that I answered them with original documents. Two weeks later the Vice President of Engineering called me offering me internship. I accepted their offer even though I had other multiple offers from great oil companies.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Guatemala City (Guatemala)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in November 2010.

Interview Details It took about 8 weeks, had to take about 6 hours of tests, finally have to go through about 5 interviews.

Interview Question – Do you think your parents separations would affect your stability? (WHAT?! they really asked this question in the last interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, they were open how much they wanted to pay, before the process started.

Interviews for Top Jobs at BHP Billiton

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BHP Billiton interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews are posted anonymously by BHP Billiton employees and interview candidates.