Bain & Company

Getting the Interview

125 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Question – My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
  Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Question – First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Sydney

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Question – The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Interview Details Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Question – what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details It was a really nice interview with 2 different case studies with 2 different consultant.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected question during my interview.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details The entire process was very smooth and took about 2 weeks (not including waiting for the first interview). My first interview round was with a SAC and a Consultant at their office, and both interviews went well (except that the numbers on one case tripped me up). These interviews were both profit cases and were not especially difficult.

For the final round, I was flown out to Boston to interview with a Partner and Senior Manager. I had to do a market sizing case which also felt like a pressure test, because my interviewer questioned my every assumption. I had a profit case with the Senior Manager which required a rather unexpected recommendation.

The Partner who interviewed me called me the next morning to let me know that I received the offer.

In general, the process was great and you have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback at each round. In fact, I was surprised at the quality of the feedback given that the interviewers are so busy! So if you get the opportunity to interview, definitely request for feedback and it will help you to do well in future case interviews.

Interview Question – Market sizing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as it is a standard contract.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details 2 cases during the 1st round interview. Cases were fair if you did case preps.

Interview Question – I had a market entry case. I did a cost-benefit analysis, calculated the approx. break-even period, but i didn't realize that there was a capacity issue until the very end. thought that was tricky   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company Associate Consultant interview questions and advice. All 125 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.