Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions & Reviews

138 interviews

3.8

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

Received interview offer after about 1 month. Did first round of interviews with managers and received outcome on same day and also received feedback on how I had performed. The first case was involved figuring out how a company could increase its profits. The second case was about determining whether a market was worth entering into.
The second round of interviews was with partners. The first case was about determining whether a cost cutting initiative was worth it (focused on my numbers because I had made some errors in the first round, I had eventually corrected them but they do like you to get them right the first time before you share them). The second case was about understanding the revenue contributions of a company's product portfolio.
All four interviews also had a behavioral component i.e. why Bain, why this particular office and what can you offer Bain. The first 3 interviews lasted 30-60 minutes. The last one was over in 15 minutes.
The interviewers were all very pleasant and I got the impression that they all really wanted the candidates to do well. The cases were all pretty straightforward. I had to dig deep to get to the answers but there were no trick questions or scenarios. They are really just looking out for the following:
- first, second and possibly third level structure
- ability to prioritise
- ability to communicate though process and assumptions
- number crunching. Some interviewers were okay with rounding off, one wanted exact numbers to the second decimal.
- likeability. Even the partners were pretty informal and it felt like a conversation amongst peers.

The HR personnel were all pretty helpful too. I felt like I had my own personal cheer squad every step of the way.

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2014.

There were two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two case interviews, second round was one written case, and two 1:1 case interviews.
    First round: My first case interview was with two interviewers - market sizing question. What's the size of the diaper market in Australia? I got bonus points for pointing out that diapers could be worn not only by babies, but also by the elderly. Some basic math to get to the final number. A few behavioural questions, but nothing that really stood out. Second interview was 1:1, some questions from my resume about why I chose my university and my extracurriculars. Case was about opening a B&B in rural France. Our client owns 1% of the investment. Expected revenue, expected occupancy, calculate ROI, as well as added benefits such as two free holidays a year. Numbers were quite straightforward, but remember to write everything down so you don't forget.

Second round: We were given a written case about an airline company making a decision about its flight routes. This was detailed in a stack of about 22 slides, and we were to answer a list of around 15 questions. Some heavy calculations, especially in the 45 minute timezone. Questions were mostly in order, and were quite doable given more time. It felt like a very intense exam. The written case interview with a manager started with some behavioural questions, then she went through the list of questions. I was pretty much giving a presentation, flipping through the slides and showing where I got the answer from. She questioned me about my final choice, and I had to justify it with all the numbers and strategic benefits I mentioned before.
    The second case interview was with a partner, about health insurance. I think they were looking for ways to decrease costs: consolidating partner hospitals, engaging in promotional activities, encouraging better health (so fewer people will use the insurance), sponsoring healthy events/activities.
    Final case interview with another partner was the most difficult. It revolved around those armoured trucks carrying cash. Who are their main customers? Why has revenue been falling? What can they do to increase them? There were tough numbers in this one, confusing percentages. Behavioural questions included what were the toughest decision you've made in a leadership role.

Interview Questions
    • Who are the main customers for an armoured cash-carrying truck company? Why would revenue be falling and costs rising for this company?   View Answer
    We were given three weeks to reply. I negotiated for a later start date. The HR contacts were very helpful and accommodating.

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
    2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
    3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Questions
    • My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bain & Company.

First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Questions
    • First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
    Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Questions
    • what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Munich (Germany)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2014.

Applied through Email and a friend. Interview day starts with a company presentation followed by three one-on-one interviews. The first one mainly focusses on personal fit questions with a small case at the end. The other two are primarily case interviews. Bain interviewers were all very friendly, however not as open and extroverted as many sources suggest. Interviewers gave me the impression of rather being some sort of a researcher than a consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Market sizing questions about movie market and real estate land; Business case about hotel investment next to a football stadium   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   View Answer

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!