Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014
Updated 15 Oct 2014

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

Received interview offer after about 1 month. Did first round of interviews with managers and received outcome on same day and also received feedback on how I had performed. The first case was involved figuring out how a company could increase its profits. The second case was about determining whether a market was worth entering into.
    The second round of interviews was with partners. The first case was about determining whether a cost cutting initiative was worth it (focused on my numbers because I had made some errors in the first round, I had eventually corrected them but they do like you to get them right the first time before you share them). The second case was about understanding the revenue contributions of a company's product portfolio.
    All four interviews also had a behavioral component i.e. why Bain, why this particular office and what can you offer Bain. The first 3 interviews lasted 30-60 minutes. The last one was over in 15 minutes.
    The interviewers were all very pleasant and I got the impression that they all really wanted the candidates to do well. The cases were all pretty straightforward. I had to dig deep to get to the answers but there were no trick questions or scenarios. They are really just looking out for the following:
    - first, second and possibly third level structure
    - ability to prioritise
    - ability to communicate though process and assumptions
    - number crunching. Some interviewers were okay with rounding off, one wanted exact numbers to the second decimal.
    - likeability. Even the partners were pretty informal and it felt like a conversation amongst peers.

The HR personnel were all pretty helpful too. I felt like I had my own personal cheer squad every step of the way.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
    2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
    3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in March 2014.

There were two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two case interviews, second round was one written case, and two 1:1 case interviews.
    First round: My first case interview was with two interviewers - market sizing question. What's the size of the diaper market in Australia? I got bonus points for pointing out that diapers could be worn not only by babies, but also by the elderly. Some basic math to get to the final number. A few behavioural questions, but nothing that really stood out. Second interview was 1:1, some questions from my resume about why I chose my university and my extracurriculars. Case was about opening a B&B in rural France. Our client owns 1% of the investment. Expected revenue, expected occupancy, calculate ROI, as well as added benefits such as two free holidays a year. Numbers were quite straightforward, but remember to write everything down so you don't forget.

Second round: We were given a written case about an airline company making a decision about its flight routes. This was detailed in a stack of about 22 slides, and we were to answer a list of around 15 questions. Some heavy calculations, especially in the 45 minute timezone. Questions were mostly in order, and were quite doable given more time. It felt like a very intense exam. The written case interview with a manager started with some behavioural questions, then she went through the list of questions. I was pretty much giving a presentation, flipping through the slides and showing where I got the answer from. She questioned me about my final choice, and I had to justify it with all the numbers and strategic benefits I mentioned before.
    The second case interview was with a partner, about health insurance. I think they were looking for ways to decrease costs: consolidating partner hospitals, engaging in promotional activities, encouraging better health (so fewer people will use the insurance), sponsoring healthy events/activities.
    Final case interview with another partner was the most difficult. It revolved around those armoured trucks carrying cash. Who are their main customers? Why has revenue been falling? What can they do to increase them? There were tough numbers in this one, confusing percentages. Behavioural questions included what were the toughest decision you've made in a leadership role.

Interview Questions
    • Who are the main customers for an armoured cash-carrying truck company? Why would revenue be falling and costs rising for this company?   View Answer
    We were given three weeks to reply. I negotiated for a later start date. The HR contacts were very helpful and accommodating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Questions
    • First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Questions
    • My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
        Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

First round consisted of two 45min case interviews. Very basic background based on actual client engagements. Expected to drive the process and lead the discussion.

Took awhile to schedule the interview and then received a phone call to come in the next day. Everyone I dealt with was professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing overly unexpected. Need to be across how to manage the case interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
    Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Questions
    • what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2009.

1) Applied online with CV

2) Communicated via email to setup meeting (scheduling proved difficult but they were quite accomodating)

3) Interview consisted of 2x45min interviews, 1 interview with someone the same as the level you were applying, 1 interview with someone more senior. Interview consists of getting to know you + case study

Interview Questions
    • Case Study - "A women golfing apparel company wants to enter the Aust market, how do you estimate the market size?". I started answering this question by explaining the process I would go through to source data and do the anlaysis. But the most unexpected and dissappointing part of the case study was in the absence of any further data available to you, the correct answer to this question was you needed to make up the facts, on the spot, in the abosence of any validation and research.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).