Bain & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details 1) Applied online with CV

2) Communicated via email to setup meeting (scheduling proved difficult but they were quite accomodating)

3) Interview consisted of 2x45min interviews, 1 interview with someone the same as the level you were applying, 1 interview with someone more senior. Interview consists of getting to know you + case study

Interview Question – Case Study - "A women golfing apparel company wants to enter the Aust market, how do you estimate the market size?". I started answering this question by explaining the process I would go through to source data and do the anlaysis. But the most unexpected and dissappointing part of the case study was in the absence of any further data available to you, the correct answer to this question was you needed to make up the facts, on the spot, in the abosence of any validation and research.   View Answer

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Question – My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
  Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details First round consisted of two 45min case interviews. Very basic background based on actual client engagements. Expected to drive the process and lead the discussion.

Took awhile to schedule the interview and then received a phone call to come in the next day. Everyone I dealt with was professional and friendly.

Interview Question – Nothing overly unexpected. Need to be across how to manage the case interview process.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Question – First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Sydney

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Question – The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Interview Details Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Question – what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details First round interview: 2 45-minute interviews back to back with 2 different interviewers. The first 10-15 minutes are spent discussing your CV and the rest of the time is devoted to the case.

My first interviewer provided me with very little information, it was up to me to structure my answer and ask for relevant information. The second interviewer gave a much more structured case and required me to use my business logic to evaluate what were the important aspects and what I thought the problems with the particular case were.

Interview Question – "If I were to ask your relatives about you, what would be the three weaknesses they'd say you have?"

There weren't any particularly difficult questions but the cases really require you to think about every aspect of the business to try to figure out where the problems originate from.
  Answer Question

Graduate Scheme - Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2012.

Interview Details I was interviewed by two partners at their London offices. Each started with an informal and personal chat about my background and career ambitions and concluded with a case study (usually related to a project the partner had been involved in). Each round was about 45 minutes. Both partners were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• The first first case study was related to the auctioning of the 3G licenses in the UK.   View Answer
  • The second case study was about a school textbook producer. I can't remember the specifics, but involved giving advice to the client's CEO about the firm's strategy.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Seoul (South Korea)

I applied online - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details There are 2 rounds of interview for the spring internship position at Bain Korea. Both the first round and second round interviews were case interviews. First round case was to answer why a food processing company's revenue isn't performing well and the second round case was to guestimate sales of a local shop.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? (Need to research the company before the interview to properly answer this question)   Answer Question

Part-time Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details Just a brief phone interview. A case of ivory product pricing.

Negotiation Details – No.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company interview questions and advice. All 315 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.