Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
331 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details 1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Question – Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details 1) Applied online with CV

2) Communicated via email to setup meeting (scheduling proved difficult but they were quite accomodating)

3) Interview consisted of 2x45min interviews, 1 interview with someone the same as the level you were applying, 1 interview with someone more senior. Interview consists of getting to know you + case study

Interview Question – Case Study - "A women golfing apparel company wants to enter the Aust market, how do you estimate the market size?". I started answering this question by explaining the process I would go through to source data and do the anlaysis. But the most unexpected and dissappointing part of the case study was in the absence of any further data available to you, the correct answer to this question was you needed to make up the facts, on the spot, in the abosence of any validation and research.   View Answer

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Question – My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
  Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details First round consisted of two 45min case interviews. Very basic background based on actual client engagements. Expected to drive the process and lead the discussion.

Took awhile to schedule the interview and then received a phone call to come in the next day. Everyone I dealt with was professional and friendly.

Interview Question – Nothing overly unexpected. Need to be across how to manage the case interview process.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Question – First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Sydney

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Question – The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Interview Details Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Question – what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details The entire interview process was very quick. All rounds are held in one day. Very nice atmosphere, and friendly people. The first round can be very intense, you will have 4 interviews in 3.5/4 hours. The cases were just as you would expect them to be (expect estimation and market sizing questions).

Interview Question – What are you most proud of that is not on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details After three weeks e-mail with invitation. Overall great company with fun people.
Questions are very different to McKinsey, drive and pro-activeness very important. Many estimation cases, which is different to other consultancies.

Interview Question – How much would you pay for an are of forest?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
Tell me about yourself.
Why Bain?
Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
Why this office?
Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Question – Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!