Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
336 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2014.

Interview Details There were two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two case interviews, second round was one written case, and two 1:1 case interviews.
First round: My first case interview was with two interviewers - market sizing question. What's the size of the diaper market in Australia? I got bonus points for pointing out that diapers could be worn not only by babies, but also by the elderly. Some basic math to get to the final number. A few behavioural questions, but nothing that really stood out. Second interview was 1:1, some questions from my resume about why I chose my university and my extracurriculars. Case was about opening a B&B in rural France. Our client owns 1% of the investment. Expected revenue, expected occupancy, calculate ROI, as well as added benefits such as two free holidays a year. Numbers were quite straightforward, but remember to write everything down so you don't forget.

Second round: We were given a written case about an airline company making a decision about its flight routes. This was detailed in a stack of about 22 slides, and we were to answer a list of around 15 questions. Some heavy calculations, especially in the 45 minute timezone. Questions were mostly in order, and were quite doable given more time. It felt like a very intense exam. The written case interview with a manager started with some behavioural questions, then she went through the list of questions. I was pretty much giving a presentation, flipping through the slides and showing where I got the answer from. She questioned me about my final choice, and I had to justify it with all the numbers and strategic benefits I mentioned before.
The second case interview was with a partner, about health insurance. I think they were looking for ways to decrease costs: consolidating partner hospitals, engaging in promotional activities, encouraging better health (so fewer people will use the insurance), sponsoring healthy events/activities.
Final case interview with another partner was the most difficult. It revolved around those armoured trucks carrying cash. Who are their main customers? Why has revenue been falling? What can they do to increase them? There were tough numbers in this one, confusing percentages. Behavioural questions included what were the toughest decision you've made in a leadership role.

Interview Question – Who are the main customers for an armoured cash-carrying truck company? Why would revenue be falling and costs rising for this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We were given three weeks to reply. I negotiated for a later start date. The HR contacts were very helpful and accommodating.

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details 1. Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript
2. First round interviews: 2 x case interviews (with small component on experience/motivation)
3. Final round interviews: 3 x case interviews, one is a written case (more slides than you can get through comprehensively, 10 questions to answer, discussion/presentation afterwards).

My final interview was more a discussion/fit-based, and we didn't end up with time for a case. I suspect they had already made their decision to make an offer after the first round.

Interview Question – Stress interview - intentionally awkward interviewer, to see how you would react.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details 1) Applied online with CV

2) Communicated via email to setup meeting (scheduling proved difficult but they were quite accomodating)

3) Interview consisted of 2x45min interviews, 1 interview with someone the same as the level you were applying, 1 interview with someone more senior. Interview consists of getting to know you + case study

Interview Question – Case Study - "A women golfing apparel company wants to enter the Aust market, how do you estimate the market size?". I started answering this question by explaining the process I would go through to source data and do the anlaysis. But the most unexpected and dissappointing part of the case study was in the absence of any further data available to you, the correct answer to this question was you needed to make up the facts, on the spot, in the abosence of any validation and research.   View Answer

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details The position was advised to me via university. I applied through their online process; cv, cover letter, transcript. 10 days later (ish) I received an email saying I had an interview and I needed to select a time slot. I interviewed 6 days later. The day before there was a 'networking' evening which was very useful, in terms of meeting my interviewers and feeling comfortable in the office space in which I would be interviewing the next day.

The interview consisted of 2 x 45 minute interviews. Both with behavioural questions, but the focus was definitely more on the case questions.

Interview Question – My first case question was about the development of a train from Melbourne to Sydney. I firstly had to estimate the market size... and then consider profitability.

My second case question related to a Victorian wine company and declining profits. This related to them having overseas vineyards etc.
  Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2013.

Interview Details First round consisted of two 45min case interviews. Very basic background based on actual client engagements. Expected to drive the process and lead the discussion.

Took awhile to schedule the interview and then received a phone call to come in the next day. Everyone I dealt with was professional and friendly.

Interview Question – Nothing overly unexpected. Need to be across how to manage the case interview process.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details First round interview consisted of two back-to-back case studies with opportunities for questions afterwards. You are allowed writing paper but be sure to keep your notes reasonably tidy as they do retain them to remember which candidate was who - and you certainly don't want to end up with a nasty scribble that I had jotted down on my first case study.

Interview Question – First case was a combined market-sizing and profitability estimate on a Sydney-Melbourne high speed train service. Second case was steel mill operating at a loss, with figures provided that led to the conclusion that it would be preferable to keep the mill open as the costs of temporarily shutting down would be higher.   Answer Question

Sydney

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Case studies. Examine the drop of revenue in a fertilizer wholesaler.

Interview Question – The interviewer seemed to just throw a line and I guess interviewee should push to ask question?   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in April 2011.

Interview Details Case study interviews- both small (e.g. what is the revenue of a gym in Sydney) and large (data and handouts, lots of calcs for a holiday resort case with multiple questions on performance and scope for performance improvement).
Cases looked for a clearly structured, linear logic. Take a minute to collect your thoughts- when I spoke off the top of my head it was less well received than calmly sitting back and thinking.

Interview Question – what is revenue of inner city sydney gym   View Answer

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details applied online through referral from a friend, received an interview 2 weeks later, onsite in Chicago Bain office, 2 consective typical case interivews, face to face, not so difficult, but very stressful

Interview Question – normal cases   Answer Question

Munich (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied through Email and a friend. Interview day starts with a company presentation followed by three one-on-one interviews. The first one mainly focusses on personal fit questions with a small case at the end. The other two are primarily case interviews. Bain interviewers were all very friendly, however not as open and extroverted as many sources suggest. Interviewers gave me the impression of rather being some sort of a researcher than a consultant.

Interview Question – Market sizing questions about movie market and real estate land; Business case about hotel investment next to a football stadium   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!