Banana Republic Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
317 interviews

2.2

Brand Ambassador/Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2013.

Initially my interview was supposed to be a group interview, but the others did not show up. I interviewed with one of the managers and he definitely asked off the wall questions. We of course had the typical question of describe yourself and what was the best and worst customer service you have ever give/received.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to steal a stick of gum or a pair of jeans, which would you choose?   View Answer
    They are willing to negotiate, but Gap Inc starts all their employees pretty high so there wasn't really any need to.

Brand Ambassador Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

Went for an interview for a sales associate and found out i was being interviewed for an ambassador position. No idea if there's any difference. I read from review here and was prepared to do a group interview. However, I went to the store and I was the only one. The hiring manager was nice and professional. Asked me a lot of situational questions about customer service, bad and good experience, etc. I was told that if i wait, they should call me. I received a call on the 5th day with an offer. I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Would you go back to the store that you had a bad experience with if they give you a huge discount?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Was told upfront what the salary would be and that after 6 months, it would go up.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call back in about 2 weeks. Had a very laid back, one-on-one interview with one of the managers who was super friendly and fun to talk to. The interview lasted about half an hour. Then I had to do an activity where I was on the floor and had to put together an outfit for a pretend customer. It was nothing to worry about, just a simple exercise to see how well you can interact with customers. I got a call back and was offered the position about 4 days after my interview.

Non-negotiable.

Merchandise Presentation Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita, KS (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Had two one-on-one interviews with different managers. The interviews seemed to go well, but I had to initiate contact every time I wanted to know something. They called me initially saying that they were interested in an interview, and three weeks passed before I called them saying that I would like to set something up. They told me after my interviews that it would be two weeks before they would make a decision. I called two and a half weeks later to ask about progress and they said the manager was out of town and I would be called back in two days. A full month after my interviews, I got an automated email saying that I wasn't chosen for the position. After two interviews, I expect at least a quick phone call. I was very disappointed with their timeliness, communication, and how impersonal everything was. I would not apply for another position with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your career in 5 years?   View Answer

Brand Ambassador Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Submitted an application online, was called shortly to schedule a phone interview and an in person interview! Phone interview was quite basic, questions about job history and work attitude. In person interview was more fun, we walked the floor and discussed product and then put together an outfit for a demanding customer. I would recommend visiting the store beforehand and mentally putting together a variety of outfits for men/women.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2011.

I applied online and got an interview within a week after applying. I thought the interview process would've been one on one. It wasn't. It was a group interview, and one almost had to be aggressive to get noticed. I received an offer less than a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the main expectations of the store?   View Answer
    There is no room for negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks to get a call back from the hiring manager. There were two interviews with two different managers who asked your run of the mill questions - both situational and behavioral. I got a phone call a week later with an offer. From there, it took another 2 weeks to go through training before I could work on the sales floor. Don't worry, you will get paid for training.

The manager asked about my salary requirement. I said $13/hr. She said that the best she could offer me was $9.50 due to declines in revenue from the last few years. I accepted out of desperation. I was making more 10 years ago at my first retail job...

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

This was one of the most disorganized interview processes I've ever been through. I applied online and got a call 2 or 3 days later asking for me to come in for an interview, which I did. It went well, was quite easy, and the interviewer seemed to hint that all that was left for me to be hired was logistical stuff, and that he would contact me in a few days to set up training. 2 weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I called him and asked. He gave some excuse about management, and said he still wanted to move forward, he'd call me in a few days. Another 3 weeks- nothing. Finally, over a month after I'd originally applied, he offered me the job and said he wanted me to come in for an orientation the next day, which I couldn't make on such short notice, so he said he'd call back the next week with a different orientation time. That was almost a month ago, I never heard back. At that point, I gave up. If they were this disorganized, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

The process was incredibly disorganized and handled unprofessionally.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2013.

The interview was okay, straight forward and to the point. I came in, they asked me some questions and then talked to me about the company. A lot of the interview was the interviewer explaining the differences between BR and other retail companies. Overall, the interview process was relatively painless.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

I initially applied online on Indeed, and two days later after applying I got a call for an interview for the following week. I was out of town on vacation that week, so I was told to call back to set up the interview the next week, which is what I did. And I've got to say, it was a very laid back and easy group interview. There were 3 other people, 2 who were older than me and had work experience, and one girl like me who did not have work experience and was going to be a junior in high school too. We answered 7 or so questions, taking turns going in a group circle. The manager was very nice and agreed with everything we had to say. He talked for a majority of the time to kind of break the ice too and he made jokes to keep us from being too nervous. Afterwards, we did a short activity where an employee pretended they were a customer, and we were supposed to help them find two outfits for two different occasions, which was fairly easy also. It was hands down the best interview I have been to. There's nothing to worry about if you are confident, tell truthful answers, and practice a little bit beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • I will post the questions I remember from the interview (might be missing 1 or 2, probably in the order they came in.)

1. Tell me a little about yourself.

2. What does Banana Republic mean to you?

3. What does integrity mean to you?

4. Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

5. Tell me about a time you had a difficult work situation and how you overcame it.

6. (This was a very unexpected question just fyi. This is how I remember the question, not entirely sure if it's worded the exact way it was asked.) You are throwing a party. You want to make your party better than the one your friend is throwing, and you have unlimited resources. What would you do to make your party the best?

(part 2 of previous question) What is something that could go wrong with the party, even though you have unlimited resources?

7. What mistake are you the most scared of making the first day?
        Answer Question
    I accepted the job offer and attended orientation the next day. I put $8.00/hour on my application, but minimum wage here in California is $9.00/hour (I didn't know they raised it), so that was I settled on. I didn't attempt to negotiate further, since it was my first job offer. The manager told me if I stay with the company for a year he would raise my salary to $10.00/hour, which was great to hear.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!