Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
160 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Question – "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
"What does style mean to you?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Stony Point, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Question – - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
- Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
- What is the process of making decision for you.
- Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
- Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
- What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable.

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Question – When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2012.

Interview Details I applied online, as well as called and introduced myself to the manager. She called me soon after to ask about an interview. She did not mention that the interview was a group interview, with myself and one other girl present. The questions weren't that difficult: mostly about what part of the job I thought was the most important one, how I would balance organizing the store with offering customer support, etc.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a really rude customer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call a couple days later. I scheduled an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It took about 15-20 minutes. He had basic questions about my work experience, background, what I liked about the brand, etc. He said there is usually a second interview but their general manager was gone for the week so we skipped that and just did the in-person interview. I heard back by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion inspiration?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that retail wasn't really what I was interested in doing at that point.

Scarsdale, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details HIring and Interview process consisted of applying online, and one - two weeks later I received a call from the Customer Experience Manager of the store I applied to. Had an interview with him/her a couple days later. The second interview was with the General Manager of the store. Received a call about a week later offering the position.

Interview Question – Both interviews were very typical of an entry level position in retail. The most difficult part of the interview was not a question but I (sales associate) had to role play with the General Manager (a customer) in the store. The goal was to view my ability to interact with a customer and the goal was to upsell the customer into a better quality item and additional items like scarves, ties, hats, or belts.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for salary. Everybody was started at $9.00 and experience did not play a factor.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Question – There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
4. What were your previous job experiences?
5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?
  Answer Question

Fresno, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in Febuary, got a call in April.
The person who called asked me to come in for interview 2 days (which is monday) from the day she called me.

We did a group interview even though she didn't let me know on the day she called me.
I just came in the store, seeing 2 other people coming in and looking for Margaret (which is the person who called me and the same person who will interview me) for interview.

We went in the back room. The room wasnt very big. There were 4 of us in it including Margaret, the interviewer.

First she introduced herself then she started off by asking the following (we each took our turns to answer first, so I wasnt always the person who answers the question first):

Q: Tell me about yourself?

Then the following I listed are not in order. I just tried to remember which ones she asked

Q: Why do you want to work in banana republic? why not others?

Q: Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?

Q: Tell me a time when you went out of your way to resolve an issue?

Q: Tell me about a time when you resolve something through listening?

Q: Tell me about a time when you were given a project that doesnt have a clear instructions?

Q: Tell me a time when you have to make a decision?

Q: What is the environment / situation that brings out the best in you?

After the interview questions, she verified our availability.
When we were dismissed, we met the store manager again, which was the person who we all first talked to, that we were there for an interview.

He asked a couple other questions, like "What have you learned during the interview?"
And he talked about how you cant be timid in Banana Republic.
Then he asked if we know about the Banana Republic Credit Card, which seemed to be I was the only one who knew about it among us 3. Well I researched about it that's why.

Store manager was very friendly, and not very uptight, he's a bit of a joker, he seemed easy to get along with. Same with the interviewer

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you have to make a decision?   View Answer

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!