Barclays Capital

Very Difficult Interview

Graduate Analyst Interview

Graduate Analyst
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in April 2011.

Interview Details After the online application you get automatically approved to an online numbers exam, which if you score sufficiently turns into a word reasoning test.

3 interviews, each on different sections, one on the current market, one on accounting/finance, and the other on me as a person.

Interview Question – None, all very standard if you are prepared. Know the market!   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
Sydney

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in March 2011.

Interview Details Applied through campus recruiting, and got invitation to online testing about a week after the closing deadline. Online testing was quite simple, and got through to a surprise phone interview, consisting of very standard behavioural questions.

In the first round interview, I was interviewed in 3 separate interviews of 2 people each, with one being market knowledge, one case interview, and one cultural fit type interview. Unfortunately at this time I was not paying much attention to the market and I blame my failure in the interview to my lack of interest at the time.

Interview Question – How many diapers are sold in Australia every year?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details Campus recruiting. Two rounds in a row. Two interviews, each one is half an hour. One will ask you technical questions and the other ask you behavior question. One week later the HR will call you about the result and give you offer at that time. You only have two weeks or so to decide.

Interview Question – The technical question, I didn't really get it then.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Summer Analyst
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online - interviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2012.

Interview Details Stage 1:
No Basic Numerical and Competency Online Tests,
Only Short essay questions submitted online,

Stage 2:
Following a call from the firm, face to face interviews are arranged.

First interview a 1-2 (With an Analyst and a VP) focusing mainly on Technical questions revolving Corp Finance and Accounting concepts (focused on ratios and their applications).

Second interview 1-1 (With a Higher Mnmgt) Fewer Technical Questions, More Personality and Fit questions, General knowledge questions involving recent financial news, Interviewers would also dig deep into your motivations behind getting this job. Therefore, be sure to show a genuine interest in wanting to get this role.

Interview Question – Limitations of difference financial ratios/ multiples and when to use them. e.g. EBITDA and Price Multiples. When to use Levered and Unlevered beta etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President Interview

Assistant Vice President
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2010.

Interview Details Hiring process goes as follows:
15 minute general interview
2x face to face interview

Very professional and very well mannered people. They'll look at your CV and ask question on the projects you've worked on before

Interview Question – The most difficult question is about the technical expertise one has had and the effort it took to accomplish goals   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation as the offer was more than enough

Client Valuations Analyst Interview

Client Valuations Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details 2 stage process - 1 with hiring manager and 1 with dept head. Competency based interview and they asks questions to see if you fit within the team, e.g. what is your weakness? tell me a process improvement that you have made?

Interview Question – Mainly competency focused and what i did in my previous roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate a higher rate - the manager took off 10% once i signed the contract.

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details Barclays HR actively goes to various schools for campus recruitment, especially in the tristate area. Interested candidates can fill out the application and submit their resume online. Cover letter is optional. Shortlisted candidates will have a first round interview on campus with two VPs, usually they last for about 30 min each. If the campus interviews go well, Barclays will invite the selected candidates to New York for onsite interviews. There are a total of 3 rounds, and they last around 30-45min each.

Interview Question – If a user finds an error in your application, you have tried many times yet still unable to find it. What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations as grad salaries are standard across the bank

Product Control Interview

Product Control

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in May 2014.

Interview Details Two interviews - initial interview predominantly around softer skills (if you were in this scenario, what would you do)and second interview was more technical based (such as describe how an interest rate swap works, what are the accounting entries for an interest rate swap)

Interview Question – Technical knowledge about derivatives and commodities market   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was handled by the recruiter

Summer Analyst Intern Interview

Summer Analyst Intern
New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details Apply for Ops. through the finance and ops boot camp. 2 intense days with around 25 other candidates with study case, speakers, group projects etc. On the third day 2 interviews back to back at the nyc office, the questions were mostly behavioral and basic knowledge of Dood-Frank , markets, why an investment bank etc

Interview Question – Which trade do you follow and why?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details The hiring process took a very long time. A former colleague had made me aware of and submitted my resume for the position and I did not have to go through a first round interview with HR which was good, my first round of interviews consisted of 3 interviews, each one with two individuals from the department the position I was interviewing was in. The second round of interviews was with the head of the department like a week later. What was annoying was how long after they told me they were giving me an offer that it took them to get something together, like a month. But other than that it was good.

Interview Question – It wasn't so much the question as it was the fact that they neglected to inform me that my last interview was not going to be with the woman who would be my direct boss but the actual head of the department in the americas (not a small department/division either, not like head of a trading desk within an asset class, head of an entire division), so it was a bit intimidating when I was told upon arrival that would be the person I was meeting with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!