Barnes & Noble Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
284 interviews

2.2

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Basking Ridge, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I got an email from HR assistant. Scheduled the first onsite interview without any phone interview. The interview is less than an hour. The hiring manager is fine but the reception and HR is indifferent.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied in August 2014 online, contacted within one week by the Cafe Manager and was told to come in for an interview the following week. Arrived 15 minutes early and reported to the cafe area, had to wait as he was busy with another interview. Had to wait a few more minutes as he gave instruction to a employee. Did not notice I was there until pointed out, went through the interview process but he had to leave in the middle of a question to handle a phone call. Finished the interview (about 20-25 minutes) and was told that he would give the information to his store manager. Did not receive a call back but a standard interview overall.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Why do you want to work here? How do you handle mistakes? What kind of coffee is your favorite? etc...   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I first applied online for the position of book seller and I was contacted by the manager for an over the phone interview a little less than a week later. We spoke for ten or fifteen minutes, with her asking questions like "what makes you a good fit?" and "why this company?" before she asked me to come into the store for an in-person interview. It was very informal and made me feel at ease, which I liked. The face to face interview was generally the same type of questions, but by a different person (another manager I believe). Unfortunately did not get the position, but the whole experience was not unpleasant.

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

First interview was very standard. Dress business formal/casual. They had the standard scenario questions and to get a feel of who are you as a person. The second interview, with the store manager, was more of the same. Both interviews seemed to want to make sure you were a good fit with the company and that you had some rudimentary knowledge of retail/customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that stood out--there was the standard of dealing with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate. In fact, I had to lower my expectation for hourly wage despite my years in retail.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Part-time Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Filled out my application online; went into the store the next day to introduce myself to the manager. When I go there the manager came out and said he was literally just looking at my application, so it was really weird that I was there. He then asked me to come in for an interview the next day. I went in and interviewed with the assistant manager. The interview took place in the cafe and was very laid back. I actually wasn't nervous at all; unlike other interviews I've been too. The interview only lasted about 15 minutes. She asked some basic questions like "What's your favorite book", "Why Barnes & Noble", "What electronic device can you not live without and why", "What's your availability", "tell me about yourself..." etc. and then told me to call her on Tuesday (interview took place on a Thursday). Monday morning I got a call from the manager offering me the job and we set up an orientation that Thursday. My first day of work was the next day.

This is my first job and I absolutely love it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a new skill you had to learn and how you achieved it.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation; told me the pay was $8.25/hr. Turns out it's actually only $8/hr but he gave me $8.25 anyway. Said if I had retail experience we would discuss raising the pay rate, but I didn't so I was fine with what he offered.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gaithersburg, MD (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD (US)

Received a call to schedule an interview after applying online - took about a week. Interview was informal but pleasant, spoke to both the cafe manager and the store manager, each for about 15-20 minutes. Received an email in a few days informing me that they would be hiring other individuals. Overall experience was not at all unpleasant or difficult; though I was not chosen to be hired, I was not left bitter at all.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!