Barnes & Noble

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

2.3

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question
    Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied for the job online and did not hear back for a few weeks. When I did hear back, it was just an e-mail saying the position had been filled. I do not have retail experience, but I do have work experience and believe I was qualified for the position.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The manager was extremely nice she went off of what was put on my resume and had plenty of follow up question. She allowed time for me to ask questions and give feed back. Was very in depth and honest about the position and was genuine about how everyone was to be treated. She was very serious about work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any "unexpected" question it was all very straight forward.   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview.
     The interview was about 30 minutes and I felt really comfortable. It was a group interview so I was in there with one other girl. It was relatively simple. The interviewer was really chill, and there were two of them...one who wrote the answers

Interview Questions
    • How would you greet a costumer?
      Previous experience?
      What do you do when you make a mistake?

Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Saw that they were hiring on a job search app and immediately applied. I applied online, and it took about a week and a half to get a response. They called to set up an interview for a Monday. I was completely prepared since I had some experience from a previous job. At the interview he asked a series of questions, but the hardest was, have you ever had to sell a membership card to a customer, and how would you go about doing it. I swear the interview only lasted 5 minutes, although he was very friendly during the whole process. At the end he told me if I was selected for the position I should get a email confirming a background check. I never got it, but he ended up calling a few days later by phone to tell me I had gotten the position, and that he'd send the link by email. I was very excited. Over all, it was a quick process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you fix a mistake you made while at work?
      How would you get to know your fellow employees & managers?

Answer Question
    Be prepared for the questions. It's also good to have had some food related experience, the experience can come in handy when answering the questions.

Temporary Seasonal Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

I applied online and recieved a phone call two days inviting me to a group interview. Buisness casual was the dress code, I interviewed with 5 other people. Basic interview questions were asked. Stress your passion for books and good coustumer service. We were told that if we recieved a background request through email we most likely got the job 4 days later I recieved such email and once my background cleared which took a couple days I got a phone call and was offered the job.

Cafe Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Very friendly, personable, and interesting interviewer. They asked basic interview questions such as, give a time etc and describe an attribute about your self etc. If you're friendly, well dressed, and you speak well you should be able to get the job. Most employers won't interview you if they haven't already considered hiring you.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was easy in my opinion. They first start off with a phone interview just getting to know you and then invite you for a face to face interview. It was a 1 on 1 interview and asked simple questions. Basically they ask about your work experience and ask what kind of books are you into and why you decided to apply for the position

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. They were typical interview questions   Answer Question