BlackBerry

BlackBerry Interview Questions

Updated 31 Oct 2014
Updated 31 Oct 2014

Carrier Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2009.

Interview over the phone with Singapore and Canada

Simple and easy

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

This is dependent on really who is seeking to hire you and who you know as well as what level you are applying for. They look at job experience and out of the box thinking. Problem solver

easy

Systems Engineering Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

I cannot speak to whether or not my interview experience is typical of how things are currently done at Blackberry. I was contacted by an internal recruiter back in the days when BlackBerry, nee RIM, was growing at an astounding rate. I wasn't really looking for a new gig, but am loathe to not explore potential opportunities. I agreed to an interview. On my interview day, it was easy to find the right building and security paged my escort to take me to my interview.

I walk into the office of the manager for the group I was interviewing with and met the manager and 4 additional members of the team. So of course I am thinking ok, this could be rigorous. It was a surprisingly casual experience. Coming into this interview I had 15 or so years of experience under my belt. The interview was not very formal at all. In fact it was very much like a casual conversation, which I attribute to the manager, we 'chatted' about tech stuff, and non-tech stuff. The interviewer was able to dig into my experiences and let me elaborate in a manner that didn't feel like I was being grilled. While the interview lasted well over an hour it was truly the most relaxed interview I think I have ever experienced.

After the interview I left and was thinking what a cool interesting and innovative place that would be to work.

About a month later I get a call from the recruiter and am told that they would like to proceed with an offer. The initial offer was pretty good, however I was able to come back and request a bit better compensation. The recruiter and I discussed what I would have wanted the offer to be and took that back to the hiring manager to see if it was acceptable. It took all of a day for her to confirm that my request was approved.

I started work about 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • I would love to be able to give a specific hard or unexpected question for this interview, I don't have one to provide. I guess if I were to label anything as unexpected it would be the whole casual nature of the interview.   Answer Question
    simple and direct.

Embedded Systems Software Developer Interview

Applied on their website for a different position. I was contacted a month later with an interview for an Embedded System Software Developer position. Soon after I had my first phone interview with the manager, and then a second. First consisted of "fit" questions, and second phone interview was technical questions.

Software Developer Interview

A call from the hiring manager's team members, started out with some behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, talk about resume, projects and extra-curriculars),

Basic behavior questions, nothing difficult, three interviewers at the same time, ppl are nice and talented. Hope the company will turn around.

Software Test Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackBerry.

A single call from the hiring manager's team members, started out with some behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, talk about resume, projects and extra-curriculars), and then moved on to some software QA questions, very straight forward. I believe the key here is to show how enthusiastic you are and you should be okay.

Interview Questions
    • What is regression testing, Why do u want to be a tester   Answer Question
    No Nego.

Software Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Applied online through the BlackBerry site, was contacted less than a month later by email for a 30 minute phone interview. They sent an offer package a month or so later with about 10 documents that had to be signed and returned via the package that they sent. Overall it was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • What scripting/UNIX projects have you worked on (Difficult for me since I hadn't done any)   View Answer
    They pay for extra luggage bag, airfare (round trip), transport from/to airport and 2 nights in a hotel.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Only had one phone interview and there 2 people communicating with me over the phone. The interview lasted thirty minutes and I got a call back the week after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would know if a number is divisible by 2?   View Answer

Statistical Methods Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Phone interview, easy going with 2 people usually one HR and another one in the department that you would be working with. Couple of questions of why you want to work at Blackberry or IT, your experience at your past jobs and your school history. Job was focused on handling big databases and your experience in excel (data validation, general analysis

Interview Questions
    • What type of chart would you use in excel if you had to measure an employee's share of hours on a monthly basis?   View Answer