BlackBerry Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015

Carrier Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2009.

Interview

Interview over the phone with Singapore and Canada

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple and easy

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call from Blackberry and set up a phone interview for the next day. I was interviewed by a group of 5 people. It went well, no generic questions.

Hardware Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied on their website, 3 weeks later got a interview on the phone. 30 min long. Interviewed with 3 guys, very relaxed, very nice guys. Told me about the position, what I'll be doing,very textbook interview. Job involves completing a series of thermal tests identified to qualify a product as well as qualifying prototypes or new solutions and involved in the design and development of new or existing thermal solutions. Easy questions. Got an email next day saying I got the job and got the official offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in python,shell, and matlab?   Answer Question
    • How do you find the size of a matrix and how do you find it's transpose in matlab?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

phone interview about 25 minutes. First the employer described the company and position. Then he asked me about one of my mobile projects on the resume. Then some follow up about the project. At last, he asked me if I have used some tools like git.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview went smoothly. There were three interviewers and they were very nice and accommodating. At first, they told me to tell them about myself which I explained well. Then, they asked about the projects that I have worked on and I am working on currently. Some basic behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions about the projects have done before and how did I design them. The team use java as their major programming language. There were some basic programming questions.   Answer Question

Software Tools Developer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    phone interview, half hour, mostly talking about the projects or work that is listed on the resume

Interview Questions

• what would you do differently if you had a chance to modify your previous project   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

The interview was in person and very conversation based. The questions asked were more to judge personality and how well i would be interacting in a team setting. No situational questions were really asked nor any technical skill based questions.

Interview Questions

• What challenges would you face as a project coordinator   Answer Question

Senior Applications Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry (Cary, NC (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied via the job portal of my university. I was promptly contacted by the Manager who was looking to hire for his team. He scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer on his team. It was a typical one hour phone screening interview. The senior developer started off by giving me a brief description of the nature of the work then moved over to the languages I could code in and finally onto a brief description of a project that I felt was most relevant to that discussion. This lead to an onsite interview with a developer, a team lead, a manager, a director and a VP. This lasted for about four hours.

The folks over at BB are very nice and treat you with respect and through professionalism. During the onsite interviews the manager gave a brief introduction of the team, the position and expectations from the new hire. This was followed by a technical interview by one of the developers on the team. He quizzed me on basic questions like sorting an input file and designing an efficient solution for implementing a contacts search for a phone; the kind that starts prompting you names based on the characters/numbers you have enter into the search field. I met with the team lead after this interview. He discussed relevant projects and work experience (internship and CoOp in my case. I had developed desktop applications in VB .Net for a Factory Automation team in the semiconductor industry.) and project work (focusing on experience following SW Dev/Engineering practices and models, conflict resolution, requirements gathering and documentation for long term support). This round was followed by a meeting with the VP. I feel he tried to gauge my expectations from the job, ambitions in my professional life and the general direction in which I wanted my career to grow. The last round was to analyze my critical thinking involving a puzzle/brain teaser. I am sure the problem he posed had no solution. This one made me nervous.

BB takes about 2 weeks to ponder over your interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe how a smartphone would boot up?
      When do you think all the drivers would be loaded?

Answer Question
    • Given an input file of characters produce an output file that is sorted (English alphabet considered for the sake of simplicity. The o/p would look like: all the a's then all the A's then the b's then B's ....) State the data structures that'd be used, the reason for using them and the time complexity of the solution.   Answer Question
    • Design a contacts search for a phone. The solution should prompt you with all the contacts that'd match the characters keyed into the search box.
      Eg: For a contacts list having Adam, Alex and Arby's, keying in A should suggest Adam, Alex, Arby's while keying in Ad should suggest only Adam.
      State and explain the choice of data structures and explain the time complexity of the solution.

Answer Question
    • How does process scheduling work?
      How does the OS know that it's time to run the scheduler?
      What is a deadlock?
      When does a deadlock occur?
      What is priority inversion?
      What is a possible way of solving the problem of priority inversion?

Answer Question
    • How did you gather the requirements for the applications that you developed during your internship?
      How did you ascertain if what you understood matched what the customer asked for?
      (did you and the customer sign off on a req doc?)
      How did you make sure that what you were developing was stable and matched user expectations? (did you prototype and unit test? how?)

Softwareentwickler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview

Applied online, then I got a phone interview and then a face to face interview on site. The interview process was mostly driven from Canada for an external company that helped with all the relocation issues.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

After applying for this job on the Blackberry site as a part of my Co-op program, I received an invite for a interview via teleconference. The interview was conducted by three interviewees and went on for about a half an hour. Overall it was a good experience and I recieved an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.