BlackRock

Updated 18 Feb 2015

3.4

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

Shortly after my application, I was contacted by the Scientific Active Equity team to schedule a phone interview. The process originally included two 30-minute interviews, but finally they informed me that I would be going through one interview with both assessors jointly. The interview itself included almost no competency questions and was mostly about background and relevant skills and how these could be practically applied to the research being carried out at the department. I was also asked about my outlook on global equity markets and the current drivers of growth of asset prices. Overall, I cannot say it was a very difficult interview but since I was expecting something more competency-focused, I was a bit unprepared. I would say there was a big focus on what you could contribute to the department, since they are looking for novel approaches on the problems they face. They seemed very interested in programming skills as well as in a machine learning background as far as I could tell. Also they wanted you to be really specific and explain some things in great detail, especially the technical details concerning relevant projects you have been involved with.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your background and your transition from mathematics to finance.
      What was the subject of your dissertation? Did it include mathematical modelling?
      What are the drivers of global equity markets/asset prices?
      Describe a scenario which you find interesting and do a long/short recommendation accordingly.
      What would you test concerning inefficiencies or patterns in the market? How?

Answer Question

Compliance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

One whole day interview. Lots of individual interviews, written task and group presentation. The interviewers are relaxed and they genuinely want to get to know you. I applied online and heard back 2 months later. The morning consisted of first round interviews and then in the afternoon if you qualified you were called in for the assessment centre which included more interviews and group exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
      Why BlackRock?
      Lots of competency questions related to how you communicate and work with others

Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BlackRock.

Two interviews and a very long drawn process. Was basically offered the job on interview and then fobbed off for weeks. Interviewed more people and kept me waiting. After a month I got the formal offer and pushed me to start as soon as possible, not a great experience!

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Very great people who interviewed me for the role. All of them have been gone and the interviewer this time is really tough. Also lots of agencies are complaining about it. And very robust.

Strategic Investments Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in March 2014.

Very good. Best approached through a network rather than a head hunter. Look to interview with the manager and then later with Human Resources. Fast and dynamic firm will hire people if they suit the culture and try and fit them in. Many questions asked. Best if you have an asset management background.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

1st round - phone call from HR
    2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

I submitted my resume online but also had a friend who pushed it up. I went through a phone interview with two people. Very basic behavioral questions and A LOT of questions about the company.

Then I was called for an office visit and flew from USA to London. There I had 4 interviews with very technical questions as well as behavioral and detailed division questions. My last "interview" consisted of solving 4 finance problems on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to board a plane?

How would you explain a database to a 7 years old?

View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Applied through the graduate website, done numerical and then got an interview offer after a week. Went done to the office in London and they asked me the classics: why blackrock, why asset management, tell me about a time when you showed leadership skills, how is your team working skills...

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

First round: two individual interviews; Final round: group exercise, individual interviews, individual case study

Interview Questions
    • Individual case study was pretty difficult. Never had that in any previous interviews..   View Answer

Aladdin & Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock in December 2013.

1. Tell me about the Company and the role
    2. Team-work- difficulties and result (use CAR technique)
    3. Are you willing to relocate?
    4. Difficult situation in life and how I dealt with that
    Other competency based questions mainly about team work and leadership skills