Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated 27 Oct 2014

3.1

169 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

First rounds went smooth, no unexpected questions as I read everything here. They don't focus on anything technical, all that matters is sales experience I think. All in all quick process, they let me know fairly fast each time.

Interview Questions
  • If interest rate goes up, what happens to bond prices   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Applied on company website.. received interview confirmation the next day.. Very professional approach in standardised manner.. 1st round is telephonic by the TL.. The question asked was generic to gauge the interest of the candidate in the position and the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

a lot of interviews, 4 or 5 is common but every interview asks the same questions so just remember what they asked in the first one....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

1st round: 1 on 1 (in person)
    2nd round: 3 on 1 (via skype)
    3rd round: soon

Interview Questions
    • What feedback did you get from your current employer recently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

It was very straight forward and much like many of the reviews already on Glassdoor. Applied online on the website and received a screening call a few days later where the recruiter (from Hong Kong) asked the basic questions about why I wanted to work for Bloomberg and why that particular role. I then had a first interview with the manager of their Singapore analytics department.

The interview itself was quite good, nothing out of the left field, but maybe that's because I went through the entire interview reviews tab on this site. She asked me what I knew about the current financial market and in particular about the Cyprus Crisis (which was in the news at the time) and then asked about my background in sales/analytics which I was able to answer quite well. She then asked me to sell her an iphone when she was a Blackberry user, which I had anticipated so I didn't struggle there.

The office that I interviewed in was spectacular! I'm in Sydney and the views were amazing and the staple open pantry looked even better in person. Lots and lots of glass, there were not any meeting rooms with an opaque wall, there were only a handful of people I saw on the floor and the atmosphere was a little subdued, quiet but very professional.

If I had any advice to give, it is that you should come across as being enthusiastic about the role and the company without looking like a cheerleader. Back up your reasons for being passionate about the job and intersperse your answers with linking positive points about Bloomberg that you would like to utilise your skills for. I find that having a chat with the interviewer about their experiences within Bloomberg is a good question to build rapport with them and perhaps give you an idea of what type of technical questions they might ask you if you know which department they came from.

One thing though, I didn't hear back from my recruiter for more than two weeks and finally got an email about my final interview and then took another week for them to schedule that. Bloomberg is a massive company so don't be discouraged if there is a lapse between your interview and the outcome as I'm sure they have other things to focus on. I have my final interview in a couple of days and I hope I can impress them.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me an iphone when I am a Blackberry user.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described. Why do you want to work here? / Why Bloomberg; What do you know about Bloomberg?;

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • How can you sell Bloomberg to a group of strangers in a room when you have no time to prepare at all?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Three rounds of interview: the first one was a phone interview, the second one was a panel interview, and the third one was an one-to-one. In general, the interview process was quite quick, I knew my interview result within 2 days. Interviewers were quite friendly. The interviews focused a lot on asking about my cv.

Interview Questions
    • Why you chose to study your current course, but not maths? Since you said you like to calculate.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The whole process lasted for three weeks approximately, it was composed of 5 rounds:

1) Online Application: Pretty Straightforward, submit CV + Cover Letter and asnwer a couple of basic questions.
    2) Phone Interview: You would receive an e-mail asking if you were available at a certain date, after confirming the appointment would receive a phone call from a Team Leader of the analytics team. The interview will start with introduction, then some basic questions Why Bloomberg? Why do you feel you are a good match? Bloomberg Products? Afterwards it would glance some financial concepts, and your understanding of the range of the product, how clients benefit from it. After we hung up I received an e-mail asking me for a face to face interview.
    3) First Face to face: In this stage you would be in an interview with two team leaders,one from sales and the other from analytics, they would drill a little bit harder on your knowledge of the company, besides the sames questions stated above, they would get on specifics like current news. Afterwards they'll test you on financial knowledge to see your proficiency; in my case it was some derivatives knowledge but I guess it could be anything, finally some sales scenario asking you to sale something you like, this one was tricky because they would be resilient into not buying, you have to be creative into solving any excuses the manager gives you. After the interview next day received e-mail inviting to the next round.
    4) Second Face to face: On this stage, you would have an interview again one representative of each department, this time of a more senior level. The interview was quite random, and it drifted from questions around my cv, difficult financial questions, sales expertise, and personality fit. It was a long interview. It would be pointless to state questions since most were personally crafted. Again you receive an e-mail asking an invite to the next round on the next day.
    5) Final face to face: This time you would have an interview with one higher manager, for me it was from the analytics side. In my particular experience, this stage was a really frustrating experience, the interviewer came in, after introducing herself asked me 2/3 questions on my CV, and said that she didn't have any more questions. Some days after, received an e-mail thanking me for my time, but they weren't going to extend me an offer. I have rewinded my interview several times to try to understand where I failed, or what did I say that resulted in such a short dismissal by the Manager, and still can't figure it out. Maybe it is out of frustration, but I felt she didn't took the time to know me, she dismissed me based on what she concluded by looking at my CV, at this stage seems out of place and feel it is disrispectful.
    I won't give a negative opinion since the overall process and most of the people I talked with were extremely nice, however won't give a positive neither because my last interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client who doesn't want to buy the product because he feels is overpriced compared to our competitors. (Don't mention quality as the client is happy with competitor quality).   Answer Question