Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
138 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied on company website.. received interview confirmation the next day.. Very professional approach in standardised manner.. 1st round is telephonic by the TL.. The question asked was generic to gauge the interest of the candidate in the position and the company.

Interview Question – Scenario based questions..   Answer Question

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details First rounds went smooth, no unexpected questions as I read everything here. They don't focus on anything technical, all that matters is sales experience I think. All in all quick process, they let me know fairly fast each time.

Interview Question – If interest rate goes up, what happens to bond prices   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Interview Details a lot of interviews, 4 or 5 is common but every interview asks the same questions so just remember what they asked in the first one....

Interview Question – weird sales hypotheticals   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Interview Details 1st round: 1 on 1 (in person)
2nd round: 3 on 1 (via skype)
3rd round: soon

Interview Question – What feedback did you get from your current employer recently?   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview Details It was very straight forward and much like many of the reviews already on Glassdoor. Applied online on the website and received a screening call a few days later where the recruiter (from Hong Kong) asked the basic questions about why I wanted to work for Bloomberg and why that particular role. I then had a first interview with the manager of their Singapore analytics department.

The interview itself was quite good, nothing out of the left field, but maybe that's because I went through the entire interview reviews tab on this site. She asked me what I knew about the current financial market and in particular about the Cyprus Crisis (which was in the news at the time) and then asked about my background in sales/analytics which I was able to answer quite well. She then asked me to sell her an iphone when she was a Blackberry user, which I had anticipated so I didn't struggle there.

The office that I interviewed in was spectacular! I'm in Sydney and the views were amazing and the staple open pantry looked even better in person. Lots and lots of glass, there were not any meeting rooms with an opaque wall, there were only a handful of people I saw on the floor and the atmosphere was a little subdued, quiet but very professional.

If I had any advice to give, it is that you should come across as being enthusiastic about the role and the company without looking like a cheerleader. Back up your reasons for being passionate about the job and intersperse your answers with linking positive points about Bloomberg that you would like to utilise your skills for. I find that having a chat with the interviewer about their experiences within Bloomberg is a good question to build rapport with them and perhaps give you an idea of what type of technical questions they might ask you if you know which department they came from.

One thing though, I didn't hear back from my recruiter for more than two weeks and finally got an email about my final interview and then took another week for them to schedule that. Bloomberg is a massive company so don't be discouraged if there is a lapse between your interview and the outcome as I'm sure they have other things to focus on. I have my final interview in a couple of days and I hope I can impress them.

Interview Question – Sell me an iphone when I am a Blackberry user.   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Started with a very short 10min phone screening with HR, and quick online personality test.

Next round was an onsite interview at their NYC HQ, which included a terminal demonstration, tour of the building, and back to back interviews with two people from Sales & Analytics - 30min each. Standard questions - i.e. Why Bloomberg x100, why finance, basic behavioral questions, tell me recent news story, Bloomberg's competitors, etc.

Last round was a job shadow with a current analytics member (be sure to ask a lot of questions to show your interest) and a one-hour interview with two managers. Similar questions as the previous round + a sales role play for a phone app.

Interview Question – Sell me your favorite phone app.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details There are four stages to apply for this role:
1. Online Application
2. Telephone Interview
3. Panel Interview
4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Question – What research have you done lately?
What is the difference between a forward and future?
What is the difference between an option and future?
What would you choose, an option or a future?
What is an option premium?
How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details There was continuous focus on the ethos of the firm-I was asked why do you want to work for Bloomberg?, Why the role of Sales? How has your previous work or academic background made you suitable for the culture of the firm? How would you sell a Bloomberg Terminal to a firm like Tesco?

Interview Question – How would you sell a Terminal over a rival firm?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details I applied online through BBG website and within 2 days got an email invitation to phone interview 20 minutes, walk me through your CV, questions like why BBG, who are competitors, why not investment bank, question about bonds, generally pleasant experience, 30 min later invited via email to in-house interview.

Interview Question – How conflict in Ukraine / Russia influences financial markets.   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details The interview process is efficient, normally took 4 days to get the reply. The first interview is with HR people, easy questions, go through cv, and really test you whether you understand the role or not. The second interview is with you direct future manager, begin to ask you how to sell you favorite app, role play question, about your experience, about your understanding about the role. The third round is with sales leader and analytics leader, very relax but untraditional and unexpected questions, eg, tell me something about you which is not in the cv, how your experience contribute to this role, have you applied other jobs, why not banks, what your hobbits ect. The last round is with the big boss and local HR leader, no any technical questions at all, they were worrying about your "longevity" with firm, they were pushing you with the says that your future is uncertain.

Interview Question – Summarize that, you need a solid education background, CFA definitely is a plus, also personality and experience shines here.   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!