Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 30 Jan 2015

3.1

385 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

They call me for the phone interview 2 weeks after they emailed me. The interviewer started the conversation asking about the resume and to walk him through it. After that he asked some questions about Bloomberg products and its competitors. He also asked me if I keep myself update with financial markets news and to speak about one new that struck me more.

Interview Questions
    • What differentiate Bloomberg from its competitors? Why should we hire you? Scenario question   Answer Question

Bloomberg M&A Analyst Interview

1) Talk about yourself
    2) How much do you know about Asian market?
    3) what is a typical day for an analyst?
    4) I have academic background (teaching in University), so they ask me why you wanna change from academic to industry? what's your motivation?
    5) what kind of programming softwares you can use?
    6) what database you are able to access?

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted via a recruiter, who put my cv in a position for a software engineer role. I did a telephonic interview. It went well and they invited me for a 2nd stage interview in the bloomberg office. During 3 hours I was solving technical problems of C and C++ programming

Interview Questions
    • A simple class with different constructors.
      A simple main program creates several objects of this class and I had to print what constructor was invoqued in each line if code of the main program.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Speedy interview process, within 4 weeks I went from submitting my CV to being rejected. It starts with a phone interview, followed by a jabber (skype) interview followed by onsites. Very focused around C/C++. Despite them telling you you can use any language, every answer you give will be redirected to a C/C++ question. Know how those languages work internally, very much focus on that. Actual problem solving part was very easy, and actually found the jabber interview harder than onsites. Despite solving all their problems, I failed some C/C++ language knowledge questions and got rejected. They seem to
    value actual knowledge more than problem-sovling abilities, so keep that in mind.

Interview Questions
    • How does GC work in Java. C/C++ memory management and parameter passing mechanisms. Actual problem solving questions are easy and standard, have a look at careercup for some examples. They don't really bother changing them so you might get the same ones as on there.   Answer Question

Contracts Representative - Portuguese Speaking Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I had the telephone interview, which was pretty normal and the interviewer was very polite. Although the HR lady booking the interviews was not able to spell the word "Portuguese" properly (she wrote "Portuges" in more than once email), she was also professional and her responses were very quick. Then I have been to the 1:1 interview. I have been interviewed by the 2 team leaders for the team who manage the contracts. They were both late but apologetic. They took me to a cubicle and, although the walls were made of glass, I felt claustrophobic and quite uncomfortable because there were 3 people sited inside that room and I could barely move (I couldn't even cross my legs and had no space to put my bag or to rest my paperwork).

The Asian team leader said they would check my French skills. I said I don't speak French, then she looked at my CV and said that they would test my Spanish and Italian skills. I said that I am not able to speak both languages at the same time because they're similar and I get quite confused (because I already speak English and Portuguese) and she should choose one of them (Spanish or Italian) to test, she ignored me. Then a 4th person came to the room (!) and couldn't sit, obviously. She tested my Italian skills and immediately after my Spanish skills, which have compromised the 2nd language. I have been told that it would be a competency interview and if I knew they were going to test my language skills, I would have told them that I can't speak more than 3 languages in one go and would have prepared to answer questions in Spanish, if they had chosen this language instead of Italian. The job is for a Portuguese speaker, if they want to test other languages, they should advise me before.

But the most bizarre part was still to happen. The Eastern European team leader said that she could see that I have worked as a manager before. I said that I have managed a team of 6 before, for only 6 months, and then she started me to ask me management questions!!! I answered them, but I was really confused, as the advert said it was an entry level. After 2 or 3 questions about this subject, they asked me what I would do if my colleague would never finish his cases. I said that I would report it to my manager. The Asian team leader got angry and said: "Yes, but you don't try to sort the problem out first?", I said "Obviously, but if he NEVER finishes his job, I supposed that I have already asked him to finish". Then she said that this is not enough, that I should MAKE my colleague finish!

At the and we had difficulties to leave the room, because there was no space to open the door without moving the chairs. There was no space to move the chairs if we remained stand up. One of the team leaders had to sit again and the one standing up had to pile chair on the top of the other, so we could open the door. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

While I took half a day holiday from my current job to go to the interview and prepared myself to the role described on the job advert, they haven't prepared a room for me, they haven't read my CV 5 minutes before they've came to meet me, they didn't even know what they were interviewing for! The Asian team leader was already so angry with me and I don't even work there. It gave me the impression that some colleagues don't do their jobs properly and they obviously want someone to sort problems out for them and get in an fight with their colleagues all the time. It must be a horrible environment in that team!

They said they would do their best to give me the result in 2 weeks time. This was the 23rd October. I was not worried because after all I would have refused an invitation for a 2nd interview. Bloomberg emailed me saying they wouldn't take it forward on the 23rd December, TWO MONTHS LATER! It was an automated message and the last line was: "Replies to this message are undeliverable and will not reach the Human Resources Department. Please do not reply.", so they wouldn't give me any feedback.

They must be very fussy, because the fist advert came out in September 2015; we are in January 2015 and they are still advertising the same job (and they said they needed only one person).

On Boxing Day Bloomberg sent me a survey. Most people, including myself, were on holidays on that period. Today I clicked in the link to do it, it was already expired. It makes me wonder if they really would like to know about my interviews?

I used to admire and respect Bloomberg, but after this experience, I will never apply to any job in that company again. It made me appreciate a lot more my job and realize there are places a lot more disorganized than my current job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of behavioural questions about management experience (the job is an entry level).   Answer Question

Bloomberg Campus Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Online application with a CV and optional covering letter with additional supporting documents. There was also a couple of motivational questions for why Bloomberg and why this role.Correspondence was within one week of submission and had a telephone interview for the role. Training was subsequently done online and throughout the year.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you took on the job tomorrow, what marketing strategies would you use to encourage BAT participation?   Answer Question

Sales & Analytics Graduate Program Interview

1) Phone interview
    2) On site interview with between 2 and 3 people
    3) Up to 2 more phone interviews with Top Management
    4) Offer from HR

Phone Interview with usually a person doing the Terminal Sales & Analytics Graduate program with 1 to 2 years experience. He/She will be able to choose if you can carry on the interviews or not so prepare well and show your motivation.

On site Interview or Video conference will usually be with a Team Leader from Analytics and Team Leader from Sales. Questions can be technical and a lot about your motivations on why a technology company and why a support and then sales positions (most important interview)

Last interview will be with Department Managers. It's a last check to confirm your personality fits with the company and if your answers are in lines with what you said earlier.

Interview Questions
    • *Explain a CDS to your grand mother ?
      *What is the difference between a Forward and a Future ?
      *What is the difference between a Feature and a Benefit ?
      *If you are interested in Finance, why don't just you go to a Bank or Hedge Funds ?
      *If a Client contact you because his Bloomberg Terminal is not working, Which wuaetions would you ask for troubleshooting purpose to try to resolve the issue.

Answer Question
    No real negociation at this level of employment

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

I had a phone interview with the classic questions you can find here. Why Bloomberg? why this position? how do you think will be one typical day working in this division? how is our main competitor? then few hypothetical questions about common situations you could have at work.

Two days after I was invited to an in-house interview and by phone they said there are three interview steps, so still going on.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about one idea you had to improve something and what was the result   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics London/Dubai Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

I got the phone interview at 9.00am. Questions were on my background and take me through my CV. Why Bloomberg, it's products, latest financial news, my future career, what the role entails. Why sales, my skills.
    2nd interview was at their London Office at Finsbury Square.
    I got there early, had free breakfast and was super nervous. I was to shadow a guy on the EMEA analytics and sales team for 30 minutes. Nothing fruitful happened there. However, he just helped me on knowing some of the questions they were to ask later.
    The interview took part 40 minutes later at 9:40am. Went to a room with the team leader/manager of the EMEA sales and analytics Dubai. We were joined by one of the managers from Sales. He was a senior sales manager with 10 years at BB.
    Interview started at around 9:45am
    They asked the same questions as the phone interview. Above.
    Also, they stressed more on motivational question of why Bloomberg. What makes you think you're good for the role and skills.
    They asked technical questions: futures, forwards, options, equities, bonds.
    Why would non financial companies consider BB
    They asked questions on entering new markets, since the job description also states parts of East Africa, I was asked how can Bloomberg enter Kenya and which clients would you consider, how will you tackle Reuteurs position in Africa.
    Asked if I was willing to relocate.
    The interview ended at about 10:30 it didn't take that long.

Interview Questions
    • Have you applied to other companies? And why a technological company considering you have a finance background and not a bank?
      Have you applied to other roles within the company? Answer this question truthfully, as your name and email is screened in their system.
      Questions about their BB products that are on their website? Not the popular ones- the terminal, media, BB new energy finance, BB government. Make sure you know all their products, they ask.

If you do not get this role, how will you deal with it?- remember, if you do not get the job you can not be considered for any role within the company for a period of 6 months.

Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online and received an email a few days later asking my availabilities for a phone interview. I replied saying the afternoon of tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, but didn't expect to get alloted a time 3 weeks from the email. The lady who called used to work in Sales and Analytics and became a team leader recently, she was nice and introduced herself before beginning the interview. First few questions asked were to introduce myself and my biggest achievements, why Bloomberg (and not other financial institutions), what qualifies me for this position, what does Bloomberg do, have I been on the website yet. She then proceeded to ask deeper questions such as what other revenue generation does Bloomberg have other than its terminals (85%), what other products does Bloomberg have, what do I know about the office culture, what kind of other jobs have I been applying to which threw me off a bit, and have I applied to banks why or why not. Finally, she asked me about a recent news story which caught my attention and wanted to know my opinion on it (she will tailor the question to what your news story is). I told her about the recent Greece elections and she asked me who I thought were going to be the winners and losers. I asked her a few questions in return about how she found Sales and Analytics and she was very chatty.

She said she will forward her evaluation to further management and they will review, once they have she will get back to me in a few days for an inhouse interview.