Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Melbourne).

Interview

3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Questions

• Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Sydney) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Questions

• What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews. First one on campus consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with a Project Leader and Principal. Second interivew consisted of 3 45 minute interviews in the office I applied to, 2 of which were with Partners and one with a Principal. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of the typical interview (tell me about yourself, why consulting, why BCG, tell me about a time when... etc.) and a case interview (suppose X company is thinking about expanding into Y market - should they do it?) that was very difficult.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Taipei (Taiwan)) in March 2015.

Interview

15 minutes non-case interview. Interview with senior associate and HR. The tempo is very fast, and interviewers don't want you to think too long. Interviewers have poker face, so the pressure is kind of high. The interview start with English and then goes to Chinese. They are keep testing how did you solve problems, after you answer a question.

Interview Questions

• Self-Introduction.
      3 Strengths and Weakness, how did you solve your weakness.
      Biggest accomplishment.
      Hardest challenge at previous work,how did you solve it.

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions

• 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Smooth application process, though it took a bit longer than I expected till HR set a date for the first round. First round: online case, two 1-on-1 case interviews.

Online case: Tests basic math, memory, logic etc. Tougher than standard SHL tests.

First case interview: I followed the "perfect" basic framework (which two contacts of mine working at the same company confirmed afterwards) but the solution the interviewer wanted lied at the very micro-level. The interviewer (I think) "stress-tested" me with some tough/borderline aggressive questions, which in principle is fine, but it created a somewhat uncomfortable setting.

Second case interview: No "stress-test", comfortable setting. Straightforward case about determining future revenue of an apparel retailer. The interviewer made me revise my initial calculations (which were correct) by adding extra math, which the interviewer asked me to do in my head without pen and paper.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand.

The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced.

The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs.

The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in consulting.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions

• A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.