Boston Consulting Group

Updated 21 Feb 2015

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Questions
  • Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Questions
    • What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions
    • 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Smooth application process, though it took a bit longer than I expected till HR set a date for the first round. First round: online case, two 1-on-1 case interviews.

Online case: Tests basic math, memory, logic etc. Tougher than standard SHL tests.

First case interview: I followed the "perfect" basic framework (which two contacts of mine working at the same company confirmed afterwards) but the solution the interviewer wanted lied at the very micro-level. The interviewer (I think) "stress-tested" me with some tough/borderline aggressive questions, which in principle is fine, but it created a somewhat uncomfortable setting.

Second case interview: No "stress-test", comfortable setting. Straightforward case about determining future revenue of an apparel retailer. The interviewer made me revise my initial calculations (which were correct) by adding extra math, which the interviewer asked me to do in my head without pen and paper.

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Had a week to prepare. The interview consists of both a face-to-face interview and a computer based test. The interviewers' name and cv is shared beforehand.

The face-to-face interview is a consulting case relevant to the interviewers' background. This interview is tough, but doable with a lot of preparation (which I didn't have enough of). Mental arithmetic is a key skill to have, and well practiced.

The online test is also doable, but be sure you are good at interpreting economic graphs.

The process is stressful, but pleasant.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

We had an initial resume shortlist that was released a month before interviews. Recent grads were assigned to us to help out with any questions we had and also to practice cases with. I had 3 rounds in total on the actual recruitment day (with PL/Prinicipal/Partner level interviewers), all traditional case interviews with a little bit of HR/resume discussion mixed in.

Interview Questions
    • A few curve ball questions to look at how I respond to anything unexpected. It's more important to come off as cool headed than anything else.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions
    Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

I was invited to the first round of interviews, which consisted of two case studies with consultants, and one online case. The case studies went as follows: tell +- 10 minutes about your resume and answer 2/3 personal questions ('Why do you want to work at BcG?', 'Tell me a situation in which you managed to convince team members'), 20-30 +- working on a case, and +-5 minutes to ask questions. The online case took 45 minutes, and consisted of 23 multiple choice questions, all about one particular case. The test included tasks such as: calculate the ratio of product cost in situation A to the product cost in situation B, calculate the average gross profit margin, etc.

The people, except one interviewer, seemed very reasonable and nice to talk to. I think you have to be a bit lucky with your interviewers. Their judgments are the most important, and it is nice if you have a spontaneous, interesting interviewer that gives you some affirmation. I had one that gave me such little information about a case, that it took me great difficulty to give a reasonable answer.

Interview Questions
    • Name one example in which you were working in a group, and in which you had a conflict with a group member. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer
    • Name three things that you are very proud of   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question