Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr 2015

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Sydney).

Interview

Relaxed open first meeting, very friendly conversational style. The interviewer was pleasant, professional, remarkably adept at drawing out information and had a winning style promoting corporate and culture to make it appear very compelling.

Interview Questions

• Gentle questions, walking through experience, lots of tell us more about that, who was involved, what was the driver/outcome? What specific skills can you bring to analysing strategic issues? Outline in detail an example where you have worked with an unfamiliar team on an unfamiliar task giving us insight into your role, issues and resolution. High level discussion on financial background and technical skills. What development areas will you need us to invest in? What are your medium term plans, what is attracting you to us?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Interview

6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Sydney) in August 2012.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Questions

• Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Seoul (South Korea)).

Interview

I applied through on-line for the consultant position. Got a call from HR few weeks later to schedule an interview saying that she will send me the confirmation email right away but didn't get till the next day. HR called again to change the time of the interview, confirmed, got a confirmation email.

Interview Questions

• typical why BCG, why consulting questions and a case study interview   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews by many different teams and executives.

They were very focused and really wanted to know your background and giving specific examples. They also do a lot of follow up questions. You can't lie your way through the interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you were a brand, what would be your motto?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Munich, Bayern (Germany)).

Interview

Very professional, always eager to help and provide valuable tips, contributed to travel costs, interviewers were very welcoming and it seemed more like an exchange between equals rather than an interview

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
    Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
    I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
    Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions

• No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and was invited to interview within approximately 1 month of the initial referral. I had 3 rounds of interviews all in one day, with a decision at the end of each round on whether interviewees had done well enough to move to the next stage. It was a long and gruelling day and required a lot of stamina, although there were breaks during which I was able to go to go outside, get some fresh air and recharge.

Before the interviews started we had a one hour session with a number of current consultants introducing the firm, getting to know each other and giving candidates the opportunity to ask questions for about half an hour - it was a nice way to start the day and meant I felt fairly relaxed by the time I went into my first interview.

The first round involved 2 regular case interviews and then an 'online case' i.e. numeracy & chart reading test done on a computer. The second round consisted of 2 cases with principals and the final round was just one case interview with a senior partner. Each interview lasted 45-60mins.

Each interview followed the classic format, i.e. 10-15m discussion about fit, motivation, prior experiences and leadership credentials, followed by up to 45m discussing a business case.

The fit discussions were in line with my expectations, and no major curveballs although I was asked to discuss a time I had failed and what I learnt from it. I found this section of the interview very informal and enjoyed getting to know my interviewers during the discussion. The case interviews were less fomulaic than at the other top tier firm I received an offer from and quite intellectually stimiulating. I found the key was putting down a very clear structure at the beginning and using it as a reference throughout the interview to engage the interviewer in my thinking.

Most of the cases involved calculations, one involved some quite lengthy and laborious market size calculations for different market segements. What helped here was actually writing out my equation and variables and then running each calculation whilst filling in a table to keep things organized. My 3rd round did not require any calculations at all and felt more like a series of mini-cases about specific business topics, than a classic business case.

Other than that the support team did a great job throughout the process (I had to fly to a neighboring country for my interview), they put us up in a lovely hotel and informed me of the outcome pretty early on the next working day after the interview.

Interview Questions

• I had one deeply theoretical case about the automotive industry in which the solution required me to develop an equation from first principles to describe the economics of the product line the 'client' was operating in.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Limited room to negotiate as packages and benefits are standardized. I had another offer from BCG's main competitor and their benefits package was superior (though their base pay was lower). Despite this, BCG did not change their offer significantly in the course of negotiations. However I went with BCG as it felt like the better fit for me and I was impressed with them throughout the process

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Consultant Interview

Interview

The first round of interviews consists of two interviews (with two different BCG employees), with three parts each. The first is a behavioral part, which is more like a conversation about items in your resume. The second part is a typical business case, as used by most business consulting firms in their recruiting process. The third part is about a 5 minute window to ask any questions.

Interview Questions

• The business case part is difficult: I would recommend studying beforehand, but it is also interesting and challenging.   Answer Question