Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014

3.8

137 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Questions
Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Consultant Interview

You must apply early, or else they will reject your application outright. After submitting the application, they will ask you a first round interview involving a case study and questions on your CV. The second round consists of two case studies with your potential colleagues, and the final round is 3 case studies with firm partners.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I went through on the ADC track and had two round of interviews. Everyone was friendly, professional and encouraging to the extent that I started to feel a real connection with the company. Unfortunately I was not extended an offer after the second round. I would highly recommend BCG. it's a really great place if you can get in.

Interview Questions
    • Second round interview consisted of a standard 45-minute interview as well as a written case that was 1 1/2 hrs in total. Key to solving both: prioritize goals, keep structure clean, state conclusions succinctly.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

1st round, two case interviews, not very hard. I am a PhD, and don't have much business ground, but I think the questions are still not hard. The brainstorming part is to think about factors relevant to how to choose a city for a new restaurant.

Interview Questions
    • Use three words to describe the consulting job   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

I did my recruitment on campus a target MBA program. The recruitment was very structured with presentations and several networking opportunities before the application deadline. For those who did their research, followed the advice given and spent time on the resume and application they were very likely to get an interview.

First round as advertised: Two interviews with a fit part, a case part, and a Q&A part. Know you can nail the cases, but spend almost equally much time on your stories. Make sure you have 2-3 stories showing your leadership, achievements, dedication and entrepreneurial drive. For most this will take a lot of preparation. Use time with your friends to prep both parts of the interview and get feedback on both content and presentation of your stories

Final round with partners and principals at the office of my choice. They were focused on making sure I understood the local office, fit with the culture and really understood the job.The usual cases were in the partner interviews as well, but most of the focus was on fit

Interview Questions
    • Answering "Why BCG" in a convincing matter   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

The very good point of BCG is that they assign you a buddy in order to prep the interview and ask the preliminary questions. Having said that, I guess that unless you clearly say in the interview that you are ready to kill/die for the job, I guess chances are very slim. The interviewers were very friendly and nice. The process is probably very good in order to pick very competitive, motivated people.

Interview Questions
    • 2*45 min, 20 min of CV questions, the rest on case study + questions for the interviewer   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Campus recruitin. Typical two rounds interview for ADCs. First rounds were relatively formal and cases were typical ones compared to the practice cases. Final round case with partner was difficult. Fit questions were also more challenging (ask failure, etc.) Didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you worked in a team and you were the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions
    • No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Consultant Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.