Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

442 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Interview Question – What do you know about private equity?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Sydney

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied for associate campaign online.
Only got to first round interviews.

Interview Question – 1. What sort of leader are you?
2. Biggest challenge?
  Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Question – I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

Interview Details There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Question – Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Consultant

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details 6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Question – Calculations with lots of zero's   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Associate
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details 3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Question – Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   View Answer

Graduate Consultant Interview

Sydney

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details Group interview

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Associate
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

Interview Details I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Question – What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Miami, FL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details BCG came on campus. Resume got selected through the pool. Interview scheduled within two weeks of application.

Two rounds. First one was on campus. Two 30 minutes interview with 5-7 minutes of behavioral then a case study. Both interviews lasted more than 45 minutes.

Second round at the office. Three 30 minutes talk scheduled. This time emphasis more on fit but still a case study involved. Met with few other members at the office as well.

Impression: Super cool bunch of people. Very impressed. I like them better than McKinsey or Bain. Top notch firm...! Take an offer if you get it.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or trick question. Case study was straight forward. They try to help you along like you're working on an assignment together. Show them your work while discussing it. DO NOT mess up the simple math and do it on the fly. If you're making math related mistakes, you won't get a second round. Simple as that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm more interested in I-Banking than Consulting.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details The recruitment process starts with a short math skills test. You have to answer correctly as many questions as possible in the alloted time. If you do well you get invited to the first round of interviews.

In the first round I was interviewed by a Consultant and a Project Leader. The first interview was more open-ended and consisted mainly in checking whether you had some understanting of basic bussiness concepts and why were you interested in the company (prepare this answer. Not just consulting, but BCG). The second one was about determining the market size for a specific economic activity (real estate developers, in my case).

The second round of interviews was with two principals and a partner. The first interview was about suggesting improvements to a company (a sandbox type of question, in my experience, I would guess the idea is to understand how you think), the second one was a brain teaser (think "How many tennis balls could you fit in a Boeing 787) while the third interview, with the partner, was about the strategy a retailer should follow to increase its sales.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy, but make sure to check the information available before you start making calculations. And, very important, don't get nervous or you'll end up missing a lot of critical information.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group interview questions and advice. All 442 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.