Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Applied for associate campaign online.
    Only got to first round interviews.

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Questions
    • I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Consultant Interview

6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   View Answer

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Group interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Questions
    • What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2014.

1. CV screening
    2. First round: numerical test + online case test + 1 case study interview (with Principal)
    3. Second round: 2 case study interviews (both with Consultants)
    4. Final round: 3 case study interviews (with 2 Senior Partners and 1 Principal)

The company was incredibly professional and very impressive in the way they conducted the hiring and interview process. Their HR team was stellar and everyone in the firm was very friendly. They made a potentially stressful situation become an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • All the cases were challenging but incredibly fun to solve. Perhaps the toughest question asked was regarding a recent project they had completed for the 2012 London Olympics. The objective of the case was to propose how to handle the increased traffic in the city centre with the influx of tourists, while also making sure that the tourists left the Olympics with a positive impression of London.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. The firm offered me a great package that they and I felt I was worth.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
    - Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
    - Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
    - 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
    NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
    - 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
    - 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
    I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
    When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
    • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!