Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

439 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Interview Question – What do you know about private equity?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Sydney

I applied online - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied for associate campaign online.
Only got to first round interviews.

Interview Question – 1. What sort of leader are you?
2. Biggest challenge?
  Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Question – I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

Interview Details There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Question – Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Consultant Interview

Consultant

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details 6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Question – Calculations with lots of zero's   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Associate
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details 3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Question – Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   View Answer

Graduate Consultant Interview

Sydney

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Interview Details Group interview

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Associate
Sydney

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

Interview Details I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Question – What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Part-time Assistant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details 15 min interview with 2 consultants and 1 recruiter

Interview Question – Mini case : What factors to look into when deciding entering a new location for the fast-food restaurant?   View Answer

Tokyo (Japan)

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details I had an initial phone interview, was then invited to a face-to-face interview in the office. The 1st interview went pretty good. The interviewer was friendly and I was able to solve the case with little help. The 2nd interview was scheduled the following week. I had a terrible experience with this one. First, the interviewer was late for 10 min (not sure if he did it on purpose). Then when he finally arrived, he just gave me a stack of paper, asked me to solve the case, and said he would be back in 25 min to see what I have to say. So for the next half an hour, I was just sitting there, working on my paper test. The worst thing was that the whole thing was in Japanese, and I didn't get to ask any clarifying questions!!! When the interviewer came back to the room, he asked me to present my findings in Japanese (totally didn't expect that since the first two interviews were in English). After the case, we had a short talk and he asked me all the typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Solving the case in Japanese   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group interview questions and advice. All 439 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.