Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2014
Updated 24 Oct 2014

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first invited to a preparation Workshop, it covered the firm’s culture, recruitment process and a sample case analysis. I found the sample case analysis very useful. So there were 3 rounds of interview, each round composed of 2 case interviews. I was interviewed by a principal first, and then a consultant. Unfortunately, I did not make it through the first round. I would recommend interviewees to develop a framework instead of tackling the questions intuitively.

Visiting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

The HR liaison was extremely helpful in explaining the recruitment process. The office I applied to organised for me to pass a test in my nearest BCG office, which I found to be convenient.

Interview Questions
    • I passed the online case study. It was more challenging that I expected. Questions were a mix of quantitative and qualitative.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Applied for associate campaign online.
    Only got to first round interviews.

Consultant Interview

6 interviews divided into 3 rounds. First round with more jnr staff and last round with partners. Case based interviews. First 10-15mins about you, 35 mins on a case questions then time at the end for you to ask questions. Get on www.caseinterview.com to help you prepare and do lots of practice with friends.

Interview Questions
    Very little negotiation possible other than start dates

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

3 rounds, 2 interviews in each round. Comprised of behavioural and case questions.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating return on equity as part of a business case in the context of a growth strategy.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2012.

Group interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2011.

I applied online. Received a call from the Recruitment Director. Organised a first-round interview.

First round consisted of two interviews, 1 hour each (fit questions, case, general questions), with a consultant and then a project leader.

Second round consisted of two interviews with Principals.

Final round consisted of two interviews with Partners.

Cases tended to get more interviewer-led as the seniority of interviewers increased. By the partner round I forgot I was doing cases and just entered into more of a discussion. It was actually a lot of fun and I ended up being quite relaxed by the end.

I found out I had an offer about an hour and a half later by phone.

Interview Questions
    • What's the one thing in the world you're really passionate about?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First Round Interviews:

1st Interview:

- 15 minute fit: very standard questions (tell me about yourself, a time where you were a leader, etc) nothing out of the ordinary.
    - 30 minute case: determining why the long distance sector of a telecom company is losing revenues. Had 2 exhibits (one showing income statement now and 10 yrs ago; the other showing the market size as well as the market share of us vs competition).

2nd interview:

- 15 minute fit: again very standard behavioral questions.
    - 30 minute case: customers of cars were dissatisfied and you had to figure out why and what to do about it.

Second Round Interviews:

1st interview:
    - 45 minutes to read over 15 slides and figure out a recommendation. You had to choose 7 slides that you thought best represented the problem and write 1 executive summary slide that went over recommendations, reasons and risks.
    -45 minutes to go over the above package with a principal (15 mins of that was fit)

2nd interview:

- 15 mins fit - very standard with heavy focus on why BCG
    - 30 mins case - figuring out why the IT department of a pharma company was losing profits (couple of exhibits)

3rd interview:

- 45 minute very light/casual chat with a partner. It was really testing whether you're a good fit for the company and felt very natural.

Interview Questions
    • The written case was difficult in that there wasn't very much time to go through all the slides, do the math required and write the summary slide. Ended up being a serious time crunch.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate.

Summer Associate Interview

You must must must practice case studies with a partner, it's not really enough to just read Case in Point (although it's a good starting point). You can't really be over prepared. Make sure to be organized and logical in your approach.