Cambridge Associates, LLC

132 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Question – Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Question – Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Interview Question – Was asked about the Sharpe Ratio.   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2011.

Interview Details Candidates resumes are screened by HR and are followed up by a phone screen from within the department. If passed through, the candidate is invited in for a first round open-house style during which they interview with one member (hiring manager or team lead) from each functional team. If interested in the candidate, they are asked back for a 2nd and final round during which they have an interview with the assistant managers, manager, panel discussion with team members/peers, complete a writing sample, and have a final concerns session interview during which time the hiring manager presents any remaining concerns. If the candidate satisfies the remaining concerns, then an offer is presented from HR contingent upon background check.

Interview Question – Rank your previous two interviews on a scale of 1 to 10. Rank yourself on this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, salary is fixed for entry positions.

Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

Interview Details The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Interview Question – Why Cambridge Associates?   Answer Question

Research Associate - Capital Markets Interview

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied directly through their website and received the standard HR reach out email about 4 weeks afterward. Pretty typical phone interview/screen to gauge interest and background. I was then scheduled to come into their office the following week for a set of interviews with the manager and director of the group. The in-person interview went down as a bit of a good cop bad cop scenario. The manager asked very pointed questions, the director more behavioral. EVERY response is written down. They were not quite reading off a script, per se, but they did have about 30+ questions to choose from. The job requires a fair amount of Excel use, and while I didn't have to sit at a computer to test my Excel knowledge they did ask me how to run certain functions just from memory. There was also a short editing test where they presented a few of the reports CA makes and my job was to highlight/correct any errors I found.

Interview Question – Can you tell me where the S&P 500 closed yesterday? What has its performance been for the past week? Past month? Past year? Same line of questioning for NASDAQ and NYSE.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Interview Question – Name 3 of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Interview Question – Weaknesses   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

Junior Research Associate

Interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Interview Details 4 stages of interviewing process

Interview Question – Behavour related questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer at Goldman Sachs.

Credit Analyst Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by a lady in HR. She gave me the details for my interview, which entailed meeting with multiple groups within the CIB department. Over the course of 3 hours, I met with staff from Real Estate Gaming & Lodging, TMT, and FIG. Each group explained how the analyst role applied to their particular group, and asked me to walk them through my resume and tell them about my background. There were not many technical questions; mainly, the interview was a conversation for the most part. Therefore, having questions prepared for them drove the direction of the interview.

Interview Question – If a company purchases equipment during the year, what is the effect to the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statement?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC