Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

Research Analyst - Manager Information Group Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2014.

went through 2 rounds of interviews. the first round was in a group of 8. 2 hours session. the first hour was spent introducing the company and the roles. the second hour was split into 2 parts, a 30min interview with one of the staff (could be a manager, HR, etc) and another 30min sharing sessions with the junior analyst ( casual sharing session of perspective in life etc).

the second interview was 3 hours. the first hour was a 1 hours sharing session by the MIG manager about the role. the second hour was broken down into three 30min interviews. with the hiring manager, 2 junior analyst and the director. the last 30min was sample email writing. basically they gave a situation where you had to send an business email out. (nothing difficult, just have to be coherent and clear and ensure your email has all the relevant details imo)

Interview Questions
    • all the questions asked were non-technical, things like sharing stuff on your resume, or greatest strength greatest weakness. the interview process is very casual (although i believe they observe alot on your body language and spoken language and basically how you carry youself) and the idea for them is to get to know you better while you get to know them better.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Questions
    • Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

I interviewed in December 2013 and January 2014. I was contacted by the HR Department via email, and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and normal questions such as "Why Cambridge" and "Tell Me About yourself". I was asked for an onsite interview at the end of the conversation. The first onsite interview was meeting with three individuals within the PRG and a group presentation. they were very informative and asked multiple questions on the lines of "Why Cambridge?" and "Why are you a good fit for this position". Every interviewer was very knowledgeable, nice, and polite. Two weeks later, I was asked to come back for a second onsite interview. This interview was a walk through on what an average day at CA would look like. I also interviewed in a group panel with two managers of PRG, one current Investment Performance Analyst, and the head manager of the PRG. Again, all of whom were nice, cordial, and polite. I was asked many of the same questions. Finally I had to complete a case study and present it to the head manager. The case study is not difficult, but you need to be thorough. Overall it was a great experience, and everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Previous situational questions: 'When have you been put in a situation such as..... and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Questions
    • Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Junior Research Associate Interview

4 stages of interviewing process

Interview Questions

Got a better offer at Goldman Sachs.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I was initially contacted by a lady in HR. She gave me the details for my interview, which entailed meeting with multiple groups within the CIB department. Over the course of 3 hours, I met with staff from Real Estate Gaming & Lodging, TMT, and FIG. Each group explained how the analyst role applied to their particular group, and asked me to walk them through my resume and tell them about my background. There were not many technical questions; mainly, the interview was a conversation for the most part. Therefore, having questions prepared for them drove the direction of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If a company purchases equipment during the year, what is the effect to the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statement?   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Performance Reporting Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

I applied online, and several weeks later had a screening call. They focused on my resume, and asked me to describe why I had chosen to work at each place, and why I had chosen the College, I attended, and Major. A week later I was asked to come in for a interviews. I was interviewed with 2 other candidates, and began with an information session about the company. Then we were split up, and over 2 hours or so interviewed by 3 different people. Each person asked essentially the same range of questions, as far as I can tell in an attempt to see if your answers would change. Most questions were fairly standard (your skills, weaknesses, experiences). I never heard back from them afterwards, even after sending several follow up emails over 2 months. While I was not particularly unhappy about not moving on, it is polite, and easy, to inform someone they are no longer being considered.