Cambridge Associates, LLC

Cambridge Associates, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

There were two interviews, the first is a basic 30 minute screen and then a second super-day interview which consisted of four 30 minute interviews. Overall the technical questions were relatively easy especially if you have a business/finance background.

One major critique, their HR recruiters for this role are pretty lost in the weeds and do not respond to emails or calls. They agreed to reimburse me $300 for travel expenses for the super day, it has been seven weeks and I still have not been paid back. I even Fedexed HR another copy of my expenses and they ignored it. Also, when I finally heard back from HR they told me that I was qualified and they would have made an offer but they had already extended all offers for the class and that they kept interviewing until all offers were extended. I am a bit annoyed that they wasted my time and especially because I did so much prep work all with no chance from the beginning. This is a company with a great reputation and I would have really liked to work there, however treating candidates in this way is unacceptable and unfair.

Interview Questions
    • Know about sharpe ratio, correlation and Standard Deviation. Also, there is a basic case study during the super day & a two minute presentation   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied through a college interview consortium. Went to a hotel with a lot of other college students and was interviewed in a large conference room with many other interviews occurring for other companies, etc. Interview was mostly behavioral, and it seemed as if they were looking for someone to do menial tasks rather than anything that required critical abilities.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2011.

Candidates resumes are screened by HR and are followed up by a phone screen from within the department. If passed through, the candidate is invited in for a first round open-house style during which they interview with one member (hiring manager or team lead) from each functional team. If interested in the candidate, they are asked back for a 2nd and final round during which they have an interview with the assistant managers, manager, panel discussion with team members/peers, complete a writing sample, and have a final concerns session interview during which time the hiring manager presents any remaining concerns. If the candidate satisfies the remaining concerns, then an offer is presented from HR contingent upon background check.

Interview Questions
    • Rank your previous two interviews on a scale of 1 to 10. Rank yourself on this interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary is fixed for entry positions.

Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in November 2013.

The first interview was a 1:1 that consisted of a fit section and quick graph analysis (if you can extract the important details from a graph you'll be fine). The second interview was held at the company site in Boston. There were 5 parts: two fit, two "cases" and a 1-on-1 lunch. The first fit was very standard -- you basically walk through your resume. The second part was just answering "why Cambridge Associates". The cases weren't your standard management consulting case; they were more tailored to the specific kind of work you would be doing as a CA.

Research Associate - Capital Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Applied directly through their website and received the standard HR reach out email about 4 weeks afterward. Pretty typical phone interview/screen to gauge interest and background. I was then scheduled to come into their office the following week for a set of interviews with the manager and director of the group. The in-person interview went down as a bit of a good cop bad cop scenario. The manager asked very pointed questions, the director more behavioral. EVERY response is written down. They were not quite reading off a script, per se, but they did have about 30+ questions to choose from. The job requires a fair amount of Excel use, and while I didn't have to sit at a computer to test my Excel knowledge they did ask me how to run certain functions just from memory. There was also a short editing test where they presented a few of the reports CA makes and my job was to highlight/correct any errors I found.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me where the S&P 500 closed yesterday? What has its performance been for the past week? Past month? Past year? Same line of questioning for NASDAQ and NYSE.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

I was initially contacted by a lady in HR. She gave me the details for my interview, which entailed meeting with multiple groups within the CIB department. Over the course of 3 hours, I met with staff from Real Estate Gaming & Lodging, TMT, and FIG. Each group explained how the analyst role applied to their particular group, and asked me to walk them through my resume and tell them about my background. There were not many technical questions; mainly, the interview was a conversation for the most part. Therefore, having questions prepared for them drove the direction of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If a company purchases equipment during the year, what is the effect to the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statement?   Answer Question

Junior Research Associate Interview

4 stages of interviewing process

Interview Questions

Got a better offer at Goldman Sachs.

Investment Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Pretty standard. Case study for last part of final interview.