Cambridge Associates, LLC
www.cambridgeassociates.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 06, 2014

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details I interviewed in December 2013 and January 2014. I was contacted by the HR Department via email, and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and normal questions such as "Why Cambridge" and "Tell Me About yourself". I was asked for an onsite interview at the end of the conversation. The first onsite interview was meeting with three individuals within the PRG and a group presentation. they were very informative and asked multiple questions on the lines of "Why Cambridge?" and "Why are you a good fit for this position". Every interviewer was very knowledgeable, nice, and polite. Two weeks later, I was asked to come back for a second onsite interview. This interview was a walk through on what an average day at CA would look like. I also interviewed in a group panel with two managers of PRG, one current Investment Performance Analyst, and the head manager of the PRG. Again, all of whom were nice, cordial, and polite. I was asked many of the same questions. Finally I had to complete a case study and present it to the head manager. The case study is not difficult, but you need to be thorough. Overall it was a great experience, and everyone I met with was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Interview Question – Previous situational questions: 'When have you been put in a situation such as..... and how did you deal with it?"   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online for the position in mid-November and received a phone call to set up an initial phone screen in early December. After a 30 minute phone interview which included a review of my resume and "why Cambridge?" type questions, I was told I'd hear something the next day. Sure enough I was invited the following day for a face to face interview. Two weeks later I finally sat down for interviews with 3 different managers and a company presentation. All 3 managers seemed to take a different approach to the interview. One was gentle and inviting, one was stone faced and let no emotion show, and the third was also gentle and forthcoming. They asked trick "gotcha" type questions in the interviews to make sure you were paying attention to the presentation. These included: Where are our locations outside of the US? What year were we founded? Is this a front or back office position? What does PRG stand for? Do we manage assets or advise on those assets? Honestly, if you do a bit of research before the interview on there website, you'll be fine. I felt like the interviews went well and was told I'd hear back within a week. Well after 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I'd all but given up on them. I had hoped the holiday season had perhaps got in the way of everything, but I wasn't expecting any future communication. Sure enough I received an email (about 2 weeks after face-to-face interview #1) inviting me back for another round. The next week I came in for a much more involved interview. This round lasted nearly 3 hours and included 4 interviews with 6 different people. First a review of the systems they use and a clear notion to ask in-depth questions about the processes. Then an interview with 2 different managers (one of whom left Goldman Sachs to come to this company, I wonder if she wasn't cutting it at Goldman). My next interview was with 2 new-hires within the last year and it's a chance for you to ask questions about the position and what their experiences were like. My final interview that day was with a manager who I'd interviewed with the first go-around. This included a simple case study about the transitioning of a client from one analyst to another. The final interview included more in-depth questions about my resume.

Bottom line: I thought I was advancing smoothly in the process and giving them answers that were to their liking. The company said I'd hear back within a day or two about a decision. After 3 days of anticipation and hearing nothing, I emailed the last HR person I was dealing with. She replied the next day with a standard "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. So that's it, after 3 separate interactions with the company over a 5 week period that included interviews with 10 people, I ended up getting denied. It's the nature of the financial beast and a strong and competitive DC job market. I was more than upset but quickly rebounded because of the amount of interview offers I'm receiving at other firms.

Interview Question – Are you under or overqualified for this position? You have to pick one.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details Applied online and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Was brought in for the first round of interview (along with another candidate). The first interview was started with an information session about the company, followed by 3 thirty minute back to back interviews with three different people (Each of the 3 have a different mood from happy and easy going to quite serious). I was invited back for the second and final round of interviewing. This consisted of meeting with the head of the performance reporting group, and several other managers. There was also a scenario based test involved.

Interview Question – Name 3 of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied through LinkedIn and was called the next day for a phone screening. After that I was signed up for an interview at their Arlington location. Had a series of three interviews lasting about a half hour each. They seemed more concerned about asking questions to contradict yourself than asking about skills. If I contradicted myself in the least bit, theyd tell me.

Interview Question – Weaknesses   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in October 2012.

Interview Details Pretty standard. Case study for last part of final interview.

Interview Question – What are your three biggest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details I went through phone screening, then 2 rounds of interview. It was pretty straightforward. No brain-teasing questions. However, they did try to test my behavioral reaction in certain occasions.

Interview Question – It was so long ago. There really were no unexpected question.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details 1. Thirty minute phone interview with relatively basic questions about my background and desire to work with the company.
2. Flew out for an interview that consisted of a 30 minute presentation and three separate 30 minute interviews. The first interviewer quizzed me on the history of the company and their clients, and he also me the names of the two women who gave me the presentation to throw me off a little. The rest of the interview was pretty standard, as he tried to gather info about my background and if I would be a good fit for the role. The remaining two interviews were much the same, and the process got easier and more comfortable with each passing round.
3. I felt the interviews went well, and I was told that I would receive a decision on another round of interviews within one week. After nearly two weeks, I emailed the recruiter and she failed to answer a series of emails until nearly a month later. The reason she gave for me not advancing didn't seem very valid.

Interview Question – Why do you think you haven't been employed yet?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2013.

Interview Details There was a phone interview, followed by two rounds of in-office interviews. Lastly, a final phone interview with the director of the Investment Performance group. The process was slightly disorganized, but overall moved relatively quickly once it got started.

Interview Question – How would you rate this interview on a scale of 1-10?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2013.

Interview Details Filled out online app; called the same day. First step in the process was a screening call. If you pass that step, they invite you in for an informative meeting with multiple candidates (in my case, 2 others) and three different interviews.

Those interviews were tough. Each person comes in with a different personality and tries to throw you off guard. For me, this went well and I was invited back for the last step.

The last step in the process is being brought into their office to review what you will be doing on a daily basis. After the walk-through, you have a 30 minute interview with the director. Again, tough questions. You cannot "BS" your way through the interviews; Cambridge is checking for inconsistency.

I Was offered the job the next day.

Interview Question – What was the last book you read?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – $$. Seems like an interested opportunity, but the pay is way too low for the location.

Arlington, VA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview was extremely brief. The guy seemed completely uninterested and not very personable. In person interviews wen a lot better the people seemed nicer and interested by what I had to say. There were two 30 min interviews back to back. The second interview that day has two individuals in it which was a little intimidating but I thought I handled it well.

Interview Question – Why did you pick this job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC Investment Performance Analyst interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees and interview candidates.