CarMax

Getting the Interview

317 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details Super long process. Mine included an online, phone, computer in store, 1st face-to-face, 2 person interview, roleplay, final interview

Interview Question – all pretty standard   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details The telephone interview took about 30 minutes. A second role play interview is scheduled for next week.

Interview Question – I was asked to provide details of exceptional customer service from past employment.   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details First interview basically a "fit" interview - discuss capabilities, why CarMax, etc.

Interview Question – Why strategy?   Answer Question

Location General Manager Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in April 2010.

Interview Details Generally done in panels of 2 interviewers and may require multiple panel interviews,including a Regional session.Competency based, behavioral questions designed to have you articulate a specific situation, with details to gauge whether you are a fit for the CarMax culture. Communication is a main focus. Prepare ahead of time by reviewing the interview process on their website. Questions will begin with, "Tell me about a time when..."

Interview Question – What feedback have you been given on your opportunities?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's a one shot deal. They do not like to negotiate....no haggle

Very Easy Interview

Business Office Assistant Interview

Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview first with Manager. Was very open about salary. Easy interview. I would apply again for another position.

Interview Question – No "gotcha" questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Hours were not what I wanted.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Online Interview Quiz then 2 person role play

Interview Question – They will ask you questions about difficult situations you had on a job and to explain how you overcame it. How to deal with dissatisfied customers, that type of thing.   Answer Question

Modest, OH (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in December 2012.

Interview Details Phone interview by one the managers, then a in-person interview with two managers ask general question about teamwork and customer service experience, difficulties, and most important thing is be very detailed. The last interview is with the Store Manager and if you get there you most likely got the job.

Interview Question – They have a mock interview. If you got pass the phone interview they will let you know about the two different cars you will have to learn about and have to sale the two or one manager interview you in the second interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Store Manager pretty much said here is how much it pays and here is how the commission is broken down and do you have any question.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details Was very interested in my resume but looked at my GPA and thought otherwise. I thought that was a bit unprofessional. But hey not my lost.

Burbank, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview Details I received a phone call the day after I applied online to schedule a phone interview for later that day. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes was just a basic overview of my qualifications and why I wanted to work at CarMax. The interviewer then invited me to an in-person interview. When I arrived at the in-person interview, there were 5 other candidates there to be interviewed. We all started by filling out a brief questionnaire on the computer and then were brought into a conference room, where we all introduced ourselves. From there, we were called out for one-on-one interviews. After about 25 minutes of situational questioning, it was time to go to the lot and do a 5 minute sales demonstration. If you do well up to that point, you will then be brought into the office of the Location General Manager for a brief 5-10 minute interview before being given a job offer on the spot and immediately administer a drug test.

Interview Question – The most difficult part is the sales demonstration   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation was lower than I anticipated.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview Details Lots of computerized questions ... very impersonal.

Interview Question – None really, the questions were pretty straight forward.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax interview questions and advice. All 317 interview reviews are posted anonymously by CarMax employees and interview candidates.