CarMax

Relevance Date Difficulty

Porter Interview

Porter
Duarte, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Question – There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.

Buyer In Training Interview

Buyer In Training
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Question – Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Attorney (In-house) Interview

Attorney (In-house)
Kennesaw, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in July 2014.

Interview Details The application online took about 45 minutes with an unnecessary amount of behavioral questions that were annoying and repetitive. I received a phone call from an in-house recruiter a few days later. I had a phone interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions that were at this time relevant. Questions focused on past work experiences...i.e. Tell me about a time that you had difficulty meeting a deadline, etc. About a week after the phone interview I was called by someone else to come in for interview at the main office in Kennesaw. I went in for an interview where I answered some more ridiculous questions via computer and signed off on background check for criminal, credit, education, employment AND social security. Further, I was drug tested on the spot at their facility on same day of interview. I interviewed with 4 people and took about 4 hours. I had extensive background checks before but this is ridiculous and over burdensome for the interview process. It should be done after an offer is made.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions Tell me about a time when....How would your supervisor describe you...Tell me about the most difficult decision you had to make...Tell me about a time you were successful in a project and state what the process and results were   Answer Question

Greenville, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

Interview Details I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit here at Carmax?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/a

Very Difficult Interview

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details Very long and tedious process. Went several weeks after first interview to get contacted for second. Interviewed with multiple leaders including the head of HR. Acted a little pompous. All behavior based questions. They did not want to hear anything about strategy. Just tactics. If you don't give them the exact answer they're looking for, you're done.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you created a policy that backfired on you.   Answer Question

Business Manager In Training Interview

Business Manager In Training
Bakersfield, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details Applied through Linkedin and reached out to a recruiter directly. They have very personable and professional recruiters who are very transparent, however don't always have the all the details about the position. I was scheduled for a phone interview that went well and was very conversational, lots of situation, behavior, and outcome questions. After that I was scheduled to meet with the store management team here locally. I was told to be prepared to spend 3-4 hours here, which I felt was ridiculous, but I wanted the position. I began with a review of my application online and verifying specifics, dates, etc. The thing that I felt was unprofessional was that they specifically ask if you if you have any employment within the past 7 years that you did not list on your application, with a threat that they will pull SSA records to verify. Why? This doesn't seem necessary, especially for a company that does not have an onsight HR team. Anyways, I l forgot to disclose two that were brief temp work/contract jobs that were not relevant to the position and were during my college years. I then had my first interview which was with a service operations support manager who had no clue what he was doing. He was not professional and was never trained how to interview. He drilled me on the specifics of my previous jobs that I did not disclose. I felt like I was interviewing for a government position. After the third degree I was interviewed by the GM. She was very nice, however had no previous retail management experience other than Carmax. I thought this was odd, but apparently she moved up through the ranks and proved herself, so good for her. After the interview I was then asked to take another online test measuring my business acumen and ability to think critically ( math and reasoning skills). This took about an hour, in which I also took a drug test. A week later I was called by the GM and asked if I would be willing to train out of the state, when I had previously been told by the recruiter that this would be local training. I asked where out of state and for how long and was given several answers, but basically anywhere on the west coast or midwest and for months. Having a family and a social life I could not be away for weeks at a time, especially for the salary that was going to be offered. I declined the offer and that was the end of the conversations. I later found out that the person who did get the local position is training in Virginia and he lives here in California.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when...... difficult guest, disagreement with a coworker, innovated or came up with a creative idea, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – No flexibility in training location and training was too extensive ( 10 months). Bonus and company car did not go into effect until after training and was required to be relocatable ultimately anywhere. Salary not as competitive as current employer or other retailers. They need to be more upfront during the initial job posting or interview process and need a true HR team with their enormous growth.

Buyer Assistant Interview

Buyer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview Details It seemed to take forever. I showed up 10 minutes early and they sat me down at a CBT and I answered about a dozen questions online. They said someone would be in, so I waited about 15 minutes then decided to let someone know I was finished. Another 15 minutes passed and I got up and asked someone who appeared to be more in charge. Finally someone came in and had a print out of the questions I had answered online and verified what I said was true and I had to sign it. Away he went and I waited another 10 minutes. Another interviewer came in for about 5 "have you ever been in a situation" questions. After this, I waited for another 10 minutes and the Senior Buyer came in and asked 10 more "Describe a situtuation where..." questions. Following this, the interview was done and they said they would let me know within a week.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision.... all questions were like this.   View Answer

Management Assistant Interview

Management Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and was called the next day to set up a phone interview. Interviewed via phone with the manager, and was asked to set up an in person interview.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral. "What would your previous manager tell me are you strengths and weakness?" "What would you do if you had several tasks to complete in a short amount of time?" "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to complete a goal." "Tell me about what attracted you to CarMax."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not ask about salary (I do so at in personal interview after offer made).

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

Reason for Declining – The pay was not enough.

Roseville, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!