Caterpillar

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated 13 Dec 2014
Updated 13 Dec 2014

Technical Marketing Interview

Met them at a career fair, applied through my school and on their site. I went to the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was behavioral. It was fairly easy, but I still didn't receive an offer.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I talked to a rep at a career fair and she told me to apply online. After applying online, I heard back in a couple weeks and had an in person interview. I was interviewed by two people for a half hour each. After another couple weeks, they called me to tell me that they are pursuing other options.

Staff Accountant Interview

I got an interview through school. Most of the questions were simple behavioral questions and the interview lasted about 30 mins. My interviewer was really nice and he talked proudly about his company. After the interview, i asked for a business card. He further advised me that I should hear back from the company in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had difficulty working in a group. What was the difficulty? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

IT Analyst I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Began the hiring process with a half-hour phone interview. Was then invited to Peoria for the next round. This round consisted of 3 1-hour long interviews. Received an offer within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really any difficult questions. All questions were of the expected type and not to terribly hard to answer.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caterpillar.

It was an on campus recruitment. It consisted of a written test , then gd then interview.
    In electronics side, in written exam technical question consisted of ques from C, C++, OOPS, DL, analog, then a quants section and verbal section. Verbal was quite tough. GD topic was safety and innovation in technology.

Interview Questions
    • they gave me an expression and asked me to implement it using flip flop.   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I first met them at my university's career fair. A few weeks later I interviewed with two people. The questions were fairly unremarkable - tell us about at time you worked as a team, tell us about a time that you had to ask for help, etc. Later that year, I got an offer for a summer internship.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing overly complex - just a general behavorial interview.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

I am a part of the NABA student chapter at my university. I went to the annual NABA regional student conference in Atlanta, GA. Caterpillar was there. I was selected for an interview, and did my first interview there. I passed on and had a second phone interview the next week. I was selected for an INTERNSHIP.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you cite specific examples of what YOU did, how YOU lead a project. Use I frequently.   Answer Question
    None- but I REALLY like the pay for a graduate accounting student in my 2nd year (amazing competitive pay- highest pay I have had)

Leadership Development Program - Entry Level Design Engineer (Mechanical) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Started with an interview at my university, then got invited for a final round, on-site interview in Peoria. I had to call their travel agency to choose my own dates of travel (all covered by CAT).

You will get paired up with a host, an employee who has nothing to do with you getting hired or not. He took me and another candidate out to dinner the night I flew in. The next morning was interview day.

We get to one of their many buildings in Peoria (not HQ), and sit in on a briefing about the company and what they do. This was self-explanatory. A couple of the hosts got to share their experiences in the entry-level leadership development program.

Then it was on to three hours of interviews. All STARs questions. 3 hours. of STARs. I didn't think they made that many textbook, cookie-cutter questions, but apparently they do. You will get sick of answering them; I did. I like to think of myself as an overachiever, as if I've accomplished a lot outside of just schoolwork in my time at university. It seemed as if none of this really impressed them. I got a VERY old-school vibe from a lot of them.

First interviewer, engine guy. Old school guy, was asking somewhat dumb questions about previous projects (i.e. have I ever used 3D printing, which is pretty standard now). Could tell he knew a lot about diesel engines, not much else. Managerial level.

Second interviewer didn't even start with an intro, just fired away at STARs questions on his piece of paper. He asked if I had any questions at the end, to which I had to reply, "what do you do?" He was surprised he forgot to do introductions. Managerial level.

Third and final interviewer finally strayed a bit from the STARs questions, wanted to see if I would be a good fit for the company/Peoria. He was my favorite interviewer, and he asked the unexpected question below. I think after talking to him, he and I both realized I may not be a good fit for the company. Managerial level.

Throughout the interview process there were snacks and a 10 minute break between each interview.

Afterwards, they had "goodie bags" for us, a sling backpack with some pens/foam tractor/notebook/ etc... Then it was off to lunch at the cafeteria at CAT. All I'll say is, try to eat a large breakfast; lunch was not very good there.

Over lunch I realized that we weren't actually seeing any of the awesome development that CAT does, but instead seeing the things we were "allowed" to see. This frustrated me, because I wanted to see all that the company had to offer.

After lunch there was a presentation about benefits, followed by a trip to the tractor assembly plant down the road. We took a tour, it was okay; just assembling pretty big machinery. By assembling, I mean it was just blue collar workers bolting parts on; no parts were being manufactured/tested/autonomously assembled here. Wasn't actually cool until we saw one of them driving around. The tour was way longer than it needed/was scheduled to be (they showed us where/how new line workers get trained...), and I nearly missed my flight home because of that.

Overall okay experience, STARs questions got tedious. Would have liked to have seen more of the amazing development this company does, but instead only saw an assembly line which wasn't very active.

Instructional Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2014.

Conducted phone interviews only. Good relative questions regarding the position. Great company that is one of the top in the industry. All of my interviews were via phone. The people I interviewed with were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Reciting the textbook answer for a problem solving method.   View Answer

The amount of travel did not fit the lifestyle for my family. If given the opportunity and chance to travel, this is the company for you. The innovation at the company is incredible.

IT Analyst Interview

In the ISU career center. Was a one on one interview with a lady from Caterpillar with thick Indian accent. 30 minute interview. Got straight to the point. All behavior questions. The questions I dont think were that tough in comparison to others (eg: state farm). Interviewer was nicer than average. The next step is several hours of interviewing on site at Peoria.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you came up with an innovative solution or process and how did you implement it?   Answer Question