Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.9

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

As the other reviews state, they call you to just get a feel of why you want to work for the company. Its a 5-10 min phone call. After that they set a phone interview that lasts from 45-60 min long. It was about fives questions, and they said they would email me back if I got the job or not. Sadly, I did not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked interesting interview questions such as "name a time you had to explain to a customer about a industries they were a novice in". That question through me off, but I responded with my past work experience. Other questions were "Name a specific time you had to deal with a difficult and angry customer and what was the outcome?".   Answer Question

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Schwab was conducting interviews on my university's campus. There were two interviewers who seemed very personable. They opened the interview by asking me to tell them what I know. The question threw me for a loop -- I hadn't even thought of preparing a presentation, and I really didn't know where to start. Things deteriorated from there, until in the end, they summarized everything they assumed I'd never even heard of (basic concepts like object oriented programming, reading UML, and knowing about agile, all of which I would have been glad to have discussed), kind of sneered at a language I had mentioned knowing (python, to which the interviewer replied, "I use C++ and Java, not little scripting languages.") and sent me away.

Schwab is supposed to be a great company to work for and I was really enthusiastic about the opportunity until I got into the interview. I was ready for "tell me about yourself" as a "soft" question, but in every other technical interview I've done, they've asked concrete questions that allow the candidate to demonstrate their knowledge, asked how the candidate would solve a specific problem, or handed me either pen and paper or grease pen and white board, and had me actually write code.

I thought the overall experience was pretty degrading. If they hadn't followed up the initial question by making so many assumptions about my general ignorance, I might have felt mortified about flubbing the initial "presentation," but as it is, I just felt set up for failure.

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

It was a multi-stage process. I talked to the initial screener after my application was accepted for about 20 minutes and it was simply background information. This was followed up by a second phone call with talent acquisition. This was a 40 minute phone conversation that was a bit more detailed with more background and behavioral questions. After passing this stage, I was asked to come in for a test of my math and logic skills. The logic is similar to GMAT and LSAT logical reasoning questions, and the math is fairly standard. Naturally, the question topics contain information about portfolio, bond, and share values. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes. Upon passage of this stage, I was scheduled to meet with two managers of the CS&S division. This was the most daunting of all as there are two people asking only behavioral questions that require citing specific examples. Speaking in generalities does not win any points. I am proud to say I made it and received an offer. I was impressed by everyone and the culture of the company is apparent. Throughout the entire process, the communication was straightforward and honest. This is a company that takes hiring the right people seriously. It genuinely cares about and respects people.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for this role unless you are licensed.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

So far it has been a 3 step process. First, phone interview with Talent Manager (recruiter), second round was face-to-face interview with peer-manager, third was face-to-face with hiring manager for the department.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward interview questions about the position and how past experience will lead to success   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The process seems to be the same as many have noted before. Quick phone interview, longer on phone, more detailed with SAR questions. I am waiting for the next step which should be the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What accomplishment are you most proud of in your career?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Received a call from the recruiter and immediately they start asking salary questions be careful with that! They ask a lot of questions about possible scenarios of angry client's and how you handled. Be wary they offer amazing bonuses and over time. Neither is easily attained; bonus is paid in tiers depending on seniority, pay grade level, and extra roles you took. Overtime is offered twice a year and limited.

Interview Questions
    • Summarize the worse comment received by a manager   View Answer
    Terrible, they tell you they cannot negotiate. They lie, negotiate at least 10-13% more, that is their latitude

Associate Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online, did an online questionnaire, an initial phone screening lasting about 15 minutes, and then an hour long phone interview after which I was asked to take the sifma assessment. I passed the exam which consisted of logic questions and some simple math questions. You are allowed a calculator and scratch paper for the exam. I was then called in to a face to face interview with 2 managers. This lasted about an hour and a half. I was contacted by my recruiter about 2 hours later about completing authorization forms for background and credit check. This has been a long process but waiting to hear back on the checks was the hardest part (three weeks). I received an email today saying they are ready to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were typical Star style questions and not that difficult if you follow the format. I had the hardest time with the logic test because you are not allowed to revisit a question once it is answered.   Answer Question

Derivative Analyst Interview

phone interview, I applied via the online site and had a phone interview that I thought went very well. I answered two situation questions "tell me about a time when" and then the recruiter ended the call. I did not get called in for an additional interview.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via telephone who then scheduled a telephone with me. I was told to do my research on behavioral type interviews. Not surprisingly, the telephone was all behavioral questions. After the telephone interview, I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the location. Following the in-person interview, I never heard from anyone at this company.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral phone interview. Mostly background/experience questions during the in-person interview.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I transferred internally. First time I was hired, I had a mini exam during the interview (as in: paper & multiple choice questions). So if you're applying for technical job, make sure you brush up on your skills.