Charles Schwab

Getting the Interview

190 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details The interview process here was intense and thorough, with many interviews scheduled over a period of several months. I found everyone to be very professional and very well prepared. Although I interviewed for several months and felt I was fairly far along in the process, I never received any kind of communication from HR notifying me if the position had been filled.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected, but be prepared to give specific examples of your past success.   Answer Question

Financial Services Intern Interview

Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Interview Details I was first contacted through an initial phone call from a Human Resources representative. After this talk we scheduled a follow-up phone interview so that I could be screened further. I did well enough to move forward and earn a face-to-face interview. This took place at the branch location in Indianapolis. I was shown around all the facilities and afterwards the interview began. There were two managers interviewing me and they asked a variety of behavioral based interview questions (explain a time when you received good customer service, explain a time when you gave good customer service, explain a time when you demonstrated leadership, etc.) I received a call back the following day and after a thorough background check, I received a formal offer.

Interview Question – Can you think of a time when you demonstrated good customer service?   View Answer

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2014.

Interview Details The process was fairly common. I applied online, entered in all of my information, submitted my resume and waited. About a week later I was contacted by a Charles Schwab recruiter via email to set up a proper time for a phone interview. When the phone interview came, she asked about my past work experience, schooling and skill sets. She also asked questions about what I knew about the position and the company. After that round, one of the managers at the Austin location contacted me, gave me a brief phone interview and set up a time in which to have a face-to-face interview.

I drove out to Austin on a Friday to the job location and was interviewed by the manger who contacted me as well as two others. There was some fairly difficult questions included in the interview, a role play and some behavioral questions. Overall, the experience was decent. I never felt completely overwhelmed or undermined. Everyone who participated in the process was genuine and friendly. However, I feel as if Charles Schwab isn't willing to pay its employees a competitive enough wage compared to their competitors. The position in question has a salary of $40k/year, nonnegotiable and a seemingly lengthy track of promotions.

Interview Question – I was asked what the capital of the Czech Republic was, not quite sure why. I was also asked two questions about current events: The Heart Bleed Bug and High Frequency Trading   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not interested in relocating cities for a sub-median salary.

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details I was initially phoned after submitting a resume' and cover letter in response to an advertisement. We scheduled an interview for the same day, as that was the last day interviews were being conducted. The manager interviewed me for 30-45 minutes. Afterwards, an Investment Consultant who was a Series 8 BOM interviewed me for 15-20 mins. Neither interview was difficult and the questions were pretty standard.

Interview Question – I cannot recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Senior Administrator Interview

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details It took weeks almost a month before I heard from HR that I was offered the job.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Job amount was as is

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2014.

Interview Details phone screening with several folks before in-person. be prepared to get on board with company 'culture' and ask questions about it.

Interview Question – make sure you are aligned with the 'culture' or you won't move on.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Broker Interview

Broker
Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied online through Schwab.com, process took about 3 weeks before being contacted for a phone interview. Back to back days for phone interviews & then a face to face. Offer w/in 30 min. of face to face interview. Interview is very "fit" oriented, as well as behavioral questions. Not very technical, but there are some for the licensed broker position.

Interview Question – How do you display ownership and problem resolution when dealing with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation, offer over the phone before official offer letter sent via email.

Broker Trainee Program Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2014.

Interview Details 5 minute phone screen
30 minute phone interview about what I know about the company and why Im interested
1 hour phone call with managers about behavioral questions
Sifma test
after passing the next day they informed me of an offer coming in 48 hours

Interview Question – Prep for calculating profit differences off stock yields   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, take it or leave it. 40k with 5k possible bonus.

Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2013.

Interview Details I had two interviews, phone and then face to face. The phone one was relatively easy questions, basically sell yourself so Schwab can even decide if they're interested. The face to face I had really nice managers interviewing me, they were super easy to talk to. You get asked a lot of "tell me about a time when..." questions.

Interview Question – Just having to come up with scenarios on the spot was difficult, and trying to sell yourself at the same time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Denver, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2013.

Interview Details The first thing to note is the process takes a long time. I submitted my resume online with a referral and it took three weeks to hear from HR. The first call was a five minute "Get to know you" call. The next call with HR last over an hour, focusing on my qualifications and my potential at Schwab. Then there was the face to face interview which went into customer service-oriented detail questions (think S.T.A.R. answers). Then SIFMA. Then job.

Interview Question – They really don't ask too many technical questions - Schwab will train you. They look for if you're a good for the company. Customer service oriented, friendly, personable and outspoken. That's what they need.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating - RegReps all start at the same floor salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles Schwab interview questions and advice. All 190 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Charles Schwab employees and interview candidates.