City of Houston

16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston in January 2014.

Interview Details Received call for interview on Monday for a Friday interview. Interviewer explained how their timecards worked and gave me one to complete. The timesheet had errors on there and I was to find errors and correct them.

Police Sergeant Interview

Police Sergeant

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Question – This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in August 2013.

Interview Details It is usually a 2-3 round interviewing process where you meet with a panel of 3 employees and they ask various questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You really have no room to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Management Analyst II Interview

Management Analyst II

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details Applied online and was invited for interview, interview had three young professional panel members and they were very friendly and in my opinion the interview was very easy.

Interview Question – what skills and experience i would bring to the job if hired   Answer Question

Mechanic III Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in February 2009.

Interview Details First, do not expect the hiring process to be quick. There is the application screening process, then interviews (1 to 4 depending on the position), then the actual selection process. It can easily take 3 months from application to starting date. Interviews are typically done by a panel, and usually consist of a series of questions that may or may not be relevant to the job. Interviewers seem to like black and white answers and dislike any answer that doesn't defer to policy.

Interview Question – "Why are you the best candidate for the job?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is little if any room for salary negotiation below the executive level.

Human Resources Interview

Interviewed at City of Houston

Interview Details Applied on line. Application status changed from "received application" to "departmental reviewing". It has been 2 months and no updates. I called to follow up and was told cannot speak to hiring manager. I asked if position was still open and lady informed me she did not know. Asked her for advice on what to do. She said we are slow at hiring and just keep checking your status on line. Very frustrating and unprofessional on their part. If one is not qualified then change status to not qualified.

Interview Question – Lack of communication from city.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative I Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in June 2010.

Interview Details Easy just be yourself and be willing to learn

Negotiation Details – None just took the pay

Odd Interview Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston.

Interview Details Interviewer was busy working on other projects

Interview Question – no questions related to the position   Answer Question

Financial Analyst IV Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2013.

Interview Details Manager was late to the interview. She did not seem interested in interviewing me. It was like just part of a process that she had to follow. The job was reposted the day before my interview. My theory is if you are not really interested in hiring me, DONT waste my time. There were several people there on the same day to interview. One person left before me and one was waiting after me. They had no intention off hiring any of us.

Interview Question – Unexpected questions....Who would you give the unoccupied office to, a person that already works here and wants the office or the new person coming into the job that normally works in that office?   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in March 2013.

Interview Details The position I applied for was posted in February and I received a call last week for an interview that was today (3/27/13). It was a panel a three. It wasn't intimidating at all. They talked about the position and questioned me on my skill and why that position. Afterwards, I took a writing test.

If everything goes well, they will call me to speak with the supervisor over the position before they make a hiring decision.

Interview Question – how would i handle an angry coworker?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at City of Houston interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews are posted anonymously by City of Houston employees and interview candidates.