City of Houston Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.4

Airport Operations Assistant Interview

First step was what thing a video and answering customer service questions, they pick the people that best fits their need from your answers, about a month after that I had my interview with 4 people at the same time, head of human resources the other 3 worked in my department. After interview it took about 2 months for extensive background check, started working about a month after that

No negotiations

Financial Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in June 2011.

filled out online application, got a call back after a month. person who scheduled my interview was very pleasant on the phone and worked with my schedule.
    interview was with two very friendly managers. questions were not very difficult, they went through my resume and admired my background and were really positive. however they said they would make a decision end of June and I never heard back from them. i wish they would let the candidate know either way so the candidate is not sitting and waiting around for a response.

Interview Questions
    • nothing really, they asked me about what i have on my resume such as Excel and SAP experience   Answer Question

Financial Analyst IV Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

Most of my interviews were informal and the job postings were posted out of formality. They already usually know who they are hiring. Human Resources is constantly re-assigned to different departments, which slows down the hiring process.

Jailer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at City of Houston in April 2014.

Its a very long process, You take a reading comprehension test, polygraph, Go through a background test, than an almost 900 word psychological test the you talk to a Pysch. From then on if you pass all that you get a job offer. Once psych is finished it has to have 4 signatures from backgrounds supervisor then once it get that they make you the offer

Interview Questions
    • The polygraph is 4-5 hours and pyschological the same amount of time   View Answer
    They call you and make you the offer if your still interested and tell you the salary. If you accept you move on to the next steph which is your drug test and physical

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston in January 2014.

Received call for interview on Monday for a Friday interview. Interviewer explained how their timecards worked and gave me one to complete. The timesheet had errors on there and I was to find errors and correct them.

Police Sergeant Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at City of Houston.

It is a very long and difficult process to become a hostage negotiator. One must study the department's policies, remember officer safety and concerns, and prepare for the scenarios. Additionally, an officer must have a stellar back ground and be highly recommended by supervisors. This is a very long process that takes almost a year. Once one is selected for the school, the school is three weeks. So, considering all the training, one can assume he/she must be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • This is a secret. Applicants will have to figure that out on their own. It is one of the reasons the process is difficult.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at City of Houston in August 2013.

It is usually a 2-3 round interviewing process where you meet with a panel of 3 employees and they ask various questions.

Interview Questions
    You really have no room to negotiate.

Management Analyst II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at City of Houston.

Applied online and was invited for interview, interview had three young professional panel members and they were very friendly and in my opinion the interview was very easy.

Interview Questions
    • what skills and experience i would bring to the job if hired   Answer Question

Mechanic III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at City of Houston in February 2009.

First, do not expect the hiring process to be quick. There is the application screening process, then interviews (1 to 4 depending on the position), then the actual selection process. It can easily take 3 months from application to starting date. Interviews are typically done by a panel, and usually consist of a series of questions that may or may not be relevant to the job. Interviewers seem to like black and white answers and dislike any answer that doesn't defer to policy.

Interview Questions
    • "Why are you the best candidate for the job?"   View Answer
    There is little if any room for salary negotiation below the executive level.

Human Resources Interview

Applied on line. Application status changed from "received application" to "departmental reviewing". It has been 2 months and no updates. I called to follow up and was told cannot speak to hiring manager. I asked if position was still open and lady informed me she did not know. Asked her for advice on what to do. She said we are slow at hiring and just keep checking your status on line. Very frustrating and unprofessional on their part. If one is not qualified then change status to not qualified.

Interview Questions

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!