Clayton Homes

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Home Consultant Interview

Home Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Clayton Homes.

Interview Details Was contacted by an HR rep within two hours. Did a preliminary interview over the phone. Did a second one. Then was emailed a link to perform their psychological assessment (CALIPER.) That took 30 minutes. After passing that, I interviewed with the General Manager. Then interviewed with the Regional Manager. Then took the background and drug screen. To be honest, I thought it was ALOT for a sales position but am glad I did it. Took about 3 weeks total.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty straight forward. Wanted to know my opinion about my past experience with sales processes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't any negotiation. Their pay plan is pretty straight forward. (Production Based)

Sales Professional Interview

Sales Professional
Richmond, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Clayton Homes in April 2014.

Interview Details Quick initial application followed by phone call , full application, Assessment Test and reference check and finally interview. I was surprised that no one from the Company bothered to say thanks but we went for another applicant, thanks for applying or anything. Manager did not return call.

Interview Question – Went over my assessment test. Some general questions about my experience. Went over the same questions in the phone interview (how do you handle rejection, etc).   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Clayton Homes

Interview Details I applied through my university. A couple days later I received a call telling me they were interested in interviewing me. I went in and spoke with 4 people over about 2 hours. It was basic interview questions. Everyone was very nice and I had an overall positive experience overall.

Interview Question – Tell me a bit about yourself?

...there weren't many curveballs
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Marketing Development Program Interview

Marketing Development Program
Redwood Falls, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Clayton Homes in November 2009.

Interview Details You will be required to take the Clayton Homes Caliper Test which is about 2 hours long. You will then have to do another interview with the Corporate Management after your interview with the local plant you applied to. It will take the Corporate Management about 8-12 weeks to decide on whether to hire you. If hired, you will have a background check done along with a drug test.

Interview Question – The most difficult point I experienced from the corporate management interview was, "Based on your caliper test, you are not suppose to be in sales". I really didn't know how to reply to that due to having a resume the shows positive results in sales and recruiting.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed. You either take what they offer or keep on looking for other work.

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Clayton Homes in October 2011.

Interview Details Didn't take too long, maybe 2-3 weeks

Interview Question – There weren't any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They weren't able to offer the money I wanted but they were flexible on scheduling.

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Clayton Homes in February 2008.

Interview Details met with upper management and other general managers and also the recruiter for the general area. Took a basic personality, sales aptitude test and then had to fill out everything else on line. Everything mostly handled on line or over the phone. Was a structured process with no surprises

Interview Question – relate challenges at previous and how i handled and resolved them. What is my best quality   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – cut and dried, no negotiation except on start date and maybe location

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter
Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Clayton Homes in September 2012.

Interview Details I had an initial phone interview with the lead recruiter, who I had known from a previous employer. The second step was to be an hour long interview with her boss, the VP of HR. When we met, he was somewhat in a hurry, did not ask me many questions about a previous job that was very similar and did not seem that engaged in the interview. I was told that they were initially speaking to 4 individuals that they had singled out, me being one of those, and that they were going to pick 2 from that group to do an assessment and to do a panel interview. I was e-mailed a week later and told I was not selected and that they were going to proceed with another candidate. Then 2 days later, they posted the job online.

Interview Question – Tell me how you supported your clients when you where with "x"? (which was 3 jobs ago.   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Clayton Homes.

Interview Details The Summer Internship process generally begins with an on campus interest session where you can speak with company representatives and give a resume, otherwise you may upload a resume on your schools career services website but there was no formal online application.
After that you receive a call to schedule a short first round phone interview assessing your interest in the company and past experience. If you perform well you will be asked to schedule a second round interview with an HR manager.
The second round interview takes place at the Corporate Offices in Maryville, TN. You get a better talk and more specific questions from an HR manager and are asked your preferences for placement if asked in for a final interview at headquarters.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a leader and a manager?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Declined because of other internship offer

Very Easy Interview

Home Sales Consultant Interview

Home Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clayton Homes.

Interview Details I applied for a position with Clayton Homes 5 months ago. I ended communications with them due to the fact that I took a position with another company. Out of he blue I recieved an email asking me if I was interested in a position as a home sales consultant and if so please send us your updated resume. I returned my resume and recieved a phone call from a recruiter within Clayton homes. We had a brief phone interview asking me the basic interview questions such as explain your career path in sales, what do you like about sales, how do you feel about advancement and would you relocate, etc... Realy very basic. I have been a hiring manager for the last 10 years and I have never given an interview so easy. Next I was sent an assesment to take online. There were various types of questions anging from what would you do in a situation to mathamatical type questions. Simular to a profile assesment and an IQ test. After I passed this exam I was then called by the recruiter to set up an interview with the general manager. Again another easy interview. Though I have been in sales for quite some time I basically lead the interview. I was prepared and had a two page list of questions. I do not think the general manager was prepared for this. Hint to all always come prepared to your interview, do research on any company you are interviewing with. After about a 30 minute interview I was called yet again by the recruiter to schedule an interview with the district manager. It was last minute but I made it happen. This interview lasted 15 minutes tops. The district manager looked at my resume and we went over my job history, he then pulled my assessment scores and said we will be in touch. The next day I got an email from the corporate office requesting references. I sent the references in and two days later I was sent an email to take a drug screening. I took the drug screening the next day and the following day I was offered a position. Again this was a very easy process to get hired. I have worked for national companies all my life and have never had an easier time to get through the hiring process.

Interview Question – What have you brought to the table to increase your sales with your current company?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I have not declined nor accepted the position. I am going to negotiate some vacation time that I have planned as well as working hours and days off.

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Internal Audit Intern

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Clayton Homes in February 2011.

Interview Details The interviews were harder than others I have done. I interviewed with several people within the department; the questions were tougher than average but the dialog was informative. Great hiring process after accepting the offer.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when (insert very specific situation) and how you worked to resolve it.   View Answer

Worked for Clayton Homes? Contribute to the Community!