Condé Nast

Updated 15 Nov 2014

2.6

Product Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Went in for referral. First interview was over the phone, very friendly, to get background. One week later went in for 2 in-person interviews. The 2nd one was rushed in the end. I was followed up with two HR phone calls, which were positive and seemed ready to move quickly. One week later I got a homework assignment which I completed. Then one week later I went back in for 3 more in-person interviews - 2 of which got moved to a phone interview instead. Mostly behavioral / background questions, with one strategic question which I didn't answer too well. HR followed up again after a couple of days saying they'd get back to me. They never did

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Very formal, everything went through HR. Multiple forms to fill out, writing samples required. 4 separate rounds of interviews with different officers. Scheduling was a bit of a problem as they would often ask if I could meet during times I had already listed as unavailable.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation. Tried for a higher salary and was told the base pay was company policy across the board. Assistants do more work than many editors in a work day and work many more hours.

Media Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source – interviewed at Condé Nast in October 2014.

About 11 of us given a presentation about the role then given a test and allowed about 45 minutes for this. Questions were straightforward, basically a personality test and psychometric, multiple choice questions. Some questions at the end required a written answer such as 'how would an enemy describe you?' 'what gives you pleasure in life?'. Taken for a very short one and one interview and was talked over.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Why media sales?
      Where else have you applied?
      Which of our publications do you read?
        Answer Question

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Several meetings and conversations during the interview process for an entry level position - staff was really friendly and answered questions / seemed like a great working environment for an entry level position / office was beautiful and seemed like a positive team / lots of people my age on the team

Interview Questions
    • How would I feel working for a job share?   View Answer

It was freelance so no benefits, which is not what was originally presented

Digital Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Condé Nast in September 2014.

I applied through Craigslist and was contacted by a talent acquisition manager within a day or two. We set up a day and time for me to come in and meet for the initial screening. This lasted 30 min. or so and mostly revolved around my background, the position itself, salary range, etc. Very cordial and friendly. She set up a phone interview with the Sr. Technology Manager to take place a couple of days later.

Phone interview went well. I expected it to be more of the same regarding background and the position, which a portion of it was, but the brunt turned into a lot of textbook JavaScript questions—nothing too crazy, but enough to show whether you had a grasp of the basics—as well as thoughts on various dev practices. It was great in that it sparked additional conversation giving more of a sense of ability. After this I was contacted again by the talent acquisition manager and was asked to put my info into the Condé Nast career system and she set up an in-person interview with the Sr. Technology Manager, Sr. Software Engineer and Director of Product Management the following week.

Again, everyone was very friendly and it wasn't a high-stress situation. The Software Engineer quizzed me on JS, CSS and HTML. Most questions were text-book type of questions but there were a few situational questions to see how you'd approach solving a problem. The Sr. Tech Manager and I followed up on our phone conversation and talked about the quizzing from the Software Engineer. The Director of Product Management and I talked a bit about Analytics, Dev Ops, and other things. Overall, things went well. I made a couple of stupid syntax mistakes when doing the JS quiz but not enough to really be a deal-breaker.

Heard back a couple of days later from the Talent Acquisition Manager that they were going forward with a other candidates—they were looking for someone who had more of dev ops and analytics background in addition to be being a front-end coder.

All in all, a very straight-forward interview process. No dragging things out. No flakiness. Nice folks. I'd apply again if something more in line with my skillset came up.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a question but when Analytics and Dev Ops experience came up, that was a bit unexpected as it wasn't really mentioned in the job description or by the interviewers.   Answer Question

Media Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast.

Conde Nast are very old fashioned, I applied for the position, as requested, via mail. I was soon written back to with an offer for an interview, which had to be confirmed over the phone. The interview was in the afternoon, in Vogue House, just off of Oxford st. We made to fill out a phone whilst waiting then taken into a board room (a group of around 11 of us) where we were given a presentation on the company and the role of the Media Sales Executive. We were the given a test to complete (the test wasn't hard, mostly a personality test then a few questions where you had to find the next answer in the sequence along with some questions about yourself). Whilst taking the test we were taken one by one into a side room for the shortest interview on earth. I was ushered into the room, looked up and down (I dressed more business than fashion, hoping to show that I was serious and not just there to live out my The Hills/City/Ugly Betty fantasy but I think that this backfired and the lady lost interest in me) She picked up my application form and CV went as though she had meant to look through it but couldn't be bothered put them down and asked me why I wanted to work for Conde Nast, Where else I had applied to, and where I saw myself career wise in 5 years time ("don't just say a job describe your position"). I am usually good at interviews but was cut off and talked over despite keeping my answers concise. The interview lasted less than two minutes and I was lead back into the room to finish my test. I was rejected in writing. I believe that there would have been another interview the week after, had I been accepted.

Art Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2014.

I applied online through the Conde Nast careers site and was contacted the same day by HR to set up an interview. On the day of my interview I met with HR as well as the person that would be my direct supervisor, interview lasted one hour.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were pretty standard interview questions, there weren't any truly unexpected questions. There was an emphasis on professionalism and being able to handle speaking with upper management within the company in an intelligent and professional way, and asking if I would be comfortable with that.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in June 2014.

Got a phone call from HR and they asked me a few brief questions then I went in for an in-depth interview with HR.

After a few weeks I met with my potential direct managers for about 20-30 minutes each. Standard questions, and I answered with what they wanted to hear (whatever correlated to the position) - get those buzzwords in and they'll be happy!

Interview Questions
    I negotiated for overtime pay and they accepted, but the base pay was SO low that it seemed fair, it was!

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2014.

Got an email to set up phone interview with HR Recruiter, had an in person interview next week, and a second in person interview the following week

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Condé Nast in April 2014.

Sent my resume to the Director at the Magazine, who sent it to the HR person.

I scheduled the interview with the HR person, who not only rescheduled for another week but apparently changed the decision date to mid summer.

Interview Questions
    • None, they were all very basic questions   View Answer