ConocoPhillips Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2014
Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.9

Summit Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interviewed at a job fair and a site visit a few weeks later at the HQ in Houston. Interviewed with 5 different people who asked a lot of cliche behavioral questions from what I believe was a prepared list. Everyone I met with seemed professional and pleasant. Didn't hear back from this company for 3 WEEKS after this interview, but was finally given a verbal offer (salary, start date, etc).
    Was told to expect an official written offer in a few days, then was asked for my college transcript which no one had asked for during this whole process. Didn't hear anything for a few days, then received a call saying they were retracting my offer due to lower than expected grades on my transcript.
    Obviously I thought this was poorly handled, if it was so important to them why did they not ask for it before?
     I recommend you take a strong look at this program before you potentially waste over a month of your time with these people like I did.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used your technical abilities to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in September 2012.

Spoke with them at the Career Fair, was offered an interview on campus

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you had a problem doing group work and had to sort out the conflict   Answer Question

Sourcing & Contracting Coordinator/Senior Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in April 2013.

Applied back in early Feb, was contacted in April for an interview at headquarters. I was told it would be from 1-4p. Conversations were pretty fluid but the entire interview only last 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change at your current job? What Terms and Conditions do you normally follow?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Borger, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Borger, TX (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in August 2009.

There are numerous steps to the interview and hiring process starting with the initial application, aptitude and problem solving testing, a phone interview to determine your experience level, a mental assesment to determine your ability to work with others and finally an in person interview before a board of other employees before an offer of employment may be issued.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you take a pay cut to start at the bottom to work for us?   Answer Question
    There wasn't a negotiation, an offer was extended for an hourly rate with set increases based on length of employment and advancement.

PTRRC Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Interviewed by two managers. They asked about my experience. Very conversational.

Con: It took 4 months to hear back on a decision.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was more like a conversation to get to know me. They asked if I had any experience in taxes, real estate, and properties.   Answer Question

Upstream Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bartlesville, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in February 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter initially and interviewed with 4 different people a week later. All 4 were from different departments and had different outlooks. It was good to get multiple opinions and answers. It was mostly a behavioral interview process but was very "down to earth" and welcoming. They were not intimidating like most interviews like this. They provided great insight on the company and we talked about my skills and most importantly my hobbies outside of work. They were very concerned about a work life balance which I thought was great. A week after interviewing I was offered a position with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for behavioral questions that focus on analytical ability, team work, leadership, and initiative. Come prepared with answers that highlight those things and that relate to the position open.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Met the recruiters at a job fair. They selected about 10 for the interview process, and filled two spots. The interview was very basic behavioral questions, with maybe one or two technical questions. ConocoPhillips had very friendly employees, and emailed/called with an offer about three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Name something you didn't do and/or regret from your college experience.   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

University interview process. 30 minute initial interview on campus followed by Houston visit meeting 4 to 5 employees and interviewing with each of them separately.

Everyone was very friendly and they paid for expenses while in Houston. I was also impressed with their facility.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral type questions and general review of resume and career goals.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ponca City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponca City, OK (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ConocoPhillips in November 2008.

On campus screening and interview. Site interview where I interviewed with other professionals in the group that I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Why I did so poorly in one class (when my other grades were excellent).   Answer Question

Other job that I desired more.

Engineering Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ConocoPhillips.

Two interviews, one with manager, then with peers. behaviour questions asked

Accepted offer.