Costco Wholesale

Updated 9 Dec 2014
Updated 9 Dec 2014

2.6

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I got called in for an interview about a week after my resume was sent in. I did wear business casual - it's important to look presentable even though it is only a warehouse position! Like everyone said, the 'first' interview is with two people - one asks the questions and the other writes on a notepad - and is considered to be two interviews. They asked a lot of situational questions where you have to draw form previous experiences - a time when you had to do more than one activity; a time when you had to react in an urgent situation; how you adapt to unexpected changes to your schedule etc. If you prepare for these types of questions, you'll be fine!

The second interview was a lot more casual and relaxed. I was told to read through the job dictionary; did a small activity where i just had to show her how I carried load (she looked at my posture and all).

Later that day, they called up my references and called me to tell me I got the job.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in July 2014.

Sat down in the break room with two employees who asked me for my availability, before heading on to very specific situational questions.

I applied to be a cashier, but they insisted that I consider working in tires or as a gas station attendant.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were misunderstood by a coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to help an angry customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had an abrupt change in your schedule, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were recognized in the work place   Answer Question
    • What have you done to prepare for today's interview?   Answer Question

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in December 2014.

Applied online took about a week to hear from them. Went in for an interview waited about 15 minutes from when my interview was supposed to start for the interviewer came and got me. One man interviewed me. Asked questions about times I have had to deal with problems in my previous jobs. He wrote down my answers. After that he had me read over a summary of what the job is and requires while he went and did something. He came back and offered me the job for seasonal front end assistant. After I accepted he had me do an oral swab drug test there and waited a few minutes for the results to come back and when they did he told me the next step will be the background check. That could take up to a week. Once it comes back I will get a call and set up a time to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had a misunderstanding with a coworker and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Name a time in which you had to deal with an angry customer and how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you accepted responsibility for a mistake you made at work.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever taken a class to help you at your job, explain?   Answer Question
    • What made you apply to Costco? How do you handle sudden schedule changes?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Day Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

When I got hired, you filed an App on-line until they called you. When they call you; it's one of 2 interviews, where if you get passed THAT interview it's the second one you go to & they drug test you there.

Interview Questions
    • Why We Don't have a Certain items, or Are we closed on Major holidays.   Answer Question

Major Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrow, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrow, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Had two interviews; the first one with the supervisor for the department I was trying out for and the second was with the warehouse manager. Each asked a series of questions in regards to work ethic and ability to understand questions.

Interview Questions
    • Already having about 25 years work experience, there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question
    I was told I would be given a 90 day review before being considered for permanent position. I replied I only need 60 days to show my worth. I stayed with the company for 13+ years.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

My friend who works there told me to apply. They offered seasonal jobs so I said why not, as I could potentially be hired on as regular staff. I submitted my online application at 2pm Friday and received a call for an interview at 5pm Friday. Monday was my interview. I went in, and was told to sit at the food court and wait for a manager. It was crazy busy so I ended up waiting 10 min before the HR manager sat down with me. He asked "tell me about working with a difficult coworker", "how do you deal with a difficult customer", things like that. He then told me an assistant manager was going to interview me in a few minutes. I waited 10 min again before the assistant manager came. He asked me 3 questions: why should we pick you? What is your best quality? What do you need to improve on? Then he said he would get the GM to talk with me. I waited another 10 minutes and the GM came up and said "let's talk in my office". Since I knew a current employee he asked me about her. In his office he asked what my availability was, if I had planned to take a vacation in the next 6-8 weeks, and if orientation was in the next few days would I be able to attend. He then said he wanted to move forward and handed me off to an office lady who administrated my drug test. After the test she told me orientation would be Friday and she would call me either Tues or Wed for the background check results. Well 24 hours later I received a phone call from her asking if I could come in on Friday for orientation.

Whole process took 2 days.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult unless you've never interviewed before.   Answer Question
    take it or leave it

Seasonal Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bountiful, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bountiful, UT (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I was first interviewed by the bakery manager, and then by a warehouse manager. The questions are chosen off of a printed sheet with multiple categories such as attitude, team work, and stress management. The process was pretty informal, with the interview conducted at the tables in the food court. I showed up a few minutes early and watched as managers cycled through applicants and sent the best on to a warehouse manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you do when a coworker is not performing as they should be.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you've had to work in a team.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for seasonal positions--the rate is set at $11.50 and they decide the department you work in based on your resume.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Waited 15 mins to be interviewed. Asked the typical questions and if was a pretty easy interview. There were 2 people interviewing me, one writing down and the other asking questions. They seemed to like me because they asked me to come in for a 2nd interview. The 2nd interview didn't go as good and it seemed like the person interviewing me didn't want to be there. 2nd interview was short and I knew I didn't get the job by the way he was acting. An hour later I got an email saying I didn't get the job. I feel I would of gotten in if someone else interviewed me the 2nd time but its okay I'll keep trying!

Food Court Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I was called in for an interview 2 days after I applied. I was interviewed by just the food court manager. Most of the questions were "Name a time where...and what did you do to fix it." My interview was fairly informal, but I was a little nervous. After that interview was over, I had a second interview with the assistant manager maybe 20 minutes later. He asked 3-5 easy questions, explained the whole seasonal job process(everyone gets laid off, but some may get rehired afterward) and liked what I said during the interview. The interview with the assistant manager was a little more intimidating, but I pulled through it. I took a drug test, then filled out a couple forms and was on my way. I got a call about my background check 2 days later and met for orientation a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were your standard "Name a time..." questions. Be prepared to have examples from your experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, everyone starts out at $11.50

Membership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Apply on-line with all relevant background, experience, and honest answers to battery of questions. If you're lucky, you'll get a prompt call back if positions are available (August/September best to apply for "seasonal" hiring which starts early October.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult however, know as much as you can about the company, it's values, it's successes, Mission Statement, goals for the future, challenges and how you can be an immediate contributor.   Answer Question