Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated 1 Jul 2015

2.6

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

I got called in for an interview about a week after my resume was sent in. I did wear business casual - it's important to look presentable even though it is only a warehouse position! Like everyone said, the 'first' interview is with two people - one asks the questions and the other writes on a notepad - and is considered to be two interviews. They asked a lot of situational questions where you have to draw form previous experiences - a time when you had to do more than one activity; a time when you had to react in an urgent situation; how you adapt to unexpected changes to your schedule etc. If you prepare for these types of questions, you'll be fine!

The second interview was a lot more casual and relaxed. I was told to read through the job dictionary; did a small activity where i just had to show her how I carried load (she looked at my posture and all).

Later that day, they called up my references and called me to tell me I got the job.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and they called me about a week later to schedule an interview. They were opening a new store, so they had scheduled several hundred people to come into a hotel lobby, come when called, and sit down at one of many tables for the interview itself. I dressed business casual and answered their questions honestly and brightly, so the first phase of my interview went very quickly. I sat down with two managers. They explained the interview process, and I answered about ten questions about my previous experiences before one of them said that he did not need to hear more and would be sending me up to the next step. I then met with a higher level manager, talked with him a bit about my expectations for retail and where I wanted to go with the company. He wrote a few notes about where I might fit in the store then sent me to a drug screening (saliva collection, not urine or anything too messy). I was called back a few days later with a job offer. I accepted, and then it was on to orientation and canvasing training.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no real negotiation, because it's an entry-level job and they have a set pay scale.

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Fountain Valley, CA (US)).

Interview

Easy and comforting... A group of us waited in the break room as we were all called in one at a time. It was a seasonal position so they were looking for multiple workers. Within a couple days I was asked to come back to take the drug test. Immediately after passing, we were taken to the presentation room training then worked an 8 hour shift that same day.

Order Picker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Looked at sign up sheet at the door, it looks like I'm the only applicant going in for an interview and everyone else were employee. Two guys interviewed me on the spot day. I answered to them very straight forwardly and that was it; they told me to come back the next day for drug and background.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what this job is, or the nature of this "business center"? What have you done to prepare for this interview? Why costco? Where do you see yourself from 5 years? Have you ever done anything wrong at your job? This job will be tough and long, can you handle it?   1 Answer

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

High-stress. The interviewer was a gruff, troubled guy. The guy was as cold as ice and I only beat the interview through feigning overconfidence in the position. I wish I had never applied to that hellhole of a place. It is no more than a deathtrap.

Interview Questions

• Previous Experience dealing with difficult customers   1 Answer

Costco Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Pittsburgh, PA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was kinda rigorous in my opinion. The interviewer was extremely distant and cold but I made it through it. The questions were more thought provoking than straightforward ones.

I found another job.

Cart Pusher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in June 2015.

Interview

I got a call and was told the interview would be on Monday. I came in to find out the managers were in a meeting and I may wait for more than an hour, I found it very odd but I waited. An assistant manager got to me and told me the interview was on Sunday and that I made a very bad first impression, I told him I know what I was told but he refused to believe it because "They would never say you have an interview on Monday we have meetings then" or something along those lines. Incredibly bad logic for why the wrong word can't come out of someone's mouth. He said if I wanted I can interview with someone anyway so of course I did. Not surprising I didn't get an offer

Lesson learned, when scheduling interviews confirm dates.

Costco: I've applied at many retail stores and most of them have sent me email confirmations for interviews. I would appreciate a system where I actually have documentation for these sorts of things. I understand this is an isolated incident and doesn't happen that often but job seekers are generally applying at multiple locations so email confirmations for interviews are useful anyway.

Interview Questions

• Generally just "are you ok with this, that" and "I have this question about your experience" sort of things. Two people there so it apparently counted as two interviews even though only one talked.   Answer Question

Never Told Me Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Tigard, OR (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied during the summer on a Tuesday...Got called on Thursday...Interviewed on Friday…Received an email on Saturday.

The interview process felt a bit rushed and the two ladies who interviewed me either weren't prepared or didn't take the interview seriously. They almost came off as if they were being forced to conduct the interview and that I was wasting their time. We interviewed in a back room behind the break room where a couple people kept walking through.
    They only asked me about 4 questions before they left the room in search of two men to ask me further questions but eventually came back because the others were too busy at the moment. They then told me one of the men would give me a call if they wanted to interview further, and the interview was over.
    All in all the interview took around 20 mins.

I ended up getting a generic email the next day saying that I have not been selected for hire.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

Single interview with a manager. One on one. Generic questions. Drug test within a week. Just tell them you are committed to the company

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Applied online and waited a few days. Walked in store to introduce myself to manager and he told me to come back the next day as it was too busy. When I came back it turned out to be an interview. He and the assistant manager sat down with me at the food court and asked about 20-25 questions. Majority of them were situational ("describe a time when..."). That's what made it tough. They were friendly and assisted with questions I didn't fully understand. I got called for a 2nd interview a couple days later and had a drug test that same day. Overall, average-tough interview but it's worth it in the end! Got offered a seasonal job and eventually was offered a permanent position in the bakery! Great company to work for!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you exhibited teamwork and how it benefited the company.   Answer Question