Costco Wholesale

Updated 2 Mar 2015
Updated 2 Mar 2015

2.6

Applied for Any Open Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Went in early and forgot the interview managers name. Sat about 30 minutes in the break room before the interview manager came and apologized as there were a lot of people up front that needed help. After interviewing me, I got the rundown of how the base pay is $11.50 and it is not negotiable. He said the job is seasonal and will guarantee that I will work for 20-25 hours a week. After the season, they will reevaluate you and see if your performance matches their charts and see if your seasonal job gets changed to a full part time job offer. Overall I had a great interview. Interviewer was relaxed, and it wasn't the two person tag team interview like the one stated on here, it was just one person, and it was the food court manager. He had an opening in his department and also the meat department. He told me that my next interview will be the assistant GM, but the assistant GM is not available today so he will give me a call later on to schedule me for interview number 2.

Interview Questions
    • No difficulty. All questions were stated on here already. Some question that I got include:

- Why do you want to work at Costco?

-Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you do to fix this mistake.

Answer Question

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gig Harbor, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gig Harbor, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied every six months 3 times. This last time I applied was during their seasonal hiring period which is around Sept October. I was called in for an interview and was left waiting for an hour in the break room and had to go and find someone to remind them I was there. Which was fine, I wanted the job. There were 2 people interviewing me. One was supposed to listen and take notes as the other riddled off open ended questions like "Talk about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you deal with that?" It turned into them both asking questions about my other jobs and cracking jokes and laughing, it was great. At the end I was told that I wouldnt have to do the second interview because the first went so well. So for my final interview I had to talk to the Assistant warehouse manager. The interview went well and I was asked to work in the food court. It didnt work with my schedule so she suggested morning stocking shift. She said they would hire in another 4 weeks but I started orientation that week.

Interview Questions
    • Think about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee what happened and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    They told me it would be seasonal and that I would lose my job on the first on January. And I would work for 11.50 an hour.

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call requesting an interview. I arrived on the appointed day and was asked to request certain names for the interview. The person was not there and another person did the interview while someone else sat in and recorded things. The questions were all about experiences I'd had which might make me qualified for work at Costco. Things like "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker." "Tell us a time when you showed leadership." All of these I found easy to answer because I work well with a story format. There were no trick questions and the interviewer made me feel pretty comfortable.

I received a call later saying they would like to interview me again, and I arrived for my second interview not sure what I was doing or why, but I met the store manager who gave me another interview, which centered tightly around "Why do you want to work for Costco in specific?" "What do you expect to get out of this?" "What are your goals for pursuing this career path?" "Are you planning to try for a supervisory role in our company?"

I got a call a few days later telling me that they were "Interested in moving forward with the hiring process" which was when I was asked to take the drug test and when the results came back from that a week later, they officially offered me the job and assigned me to an orientation day.

Interview Questions
    • I did not get any questions which I regarded as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Quinta, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in La Quinta, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Had my first interview the other day. Everyone was really nice.
    They asked the basic questions; What do you know about Costco? (i watched the Costco documentary for this question lol); What was a time when you delivered excellent customer service?; Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.; Tell us about a time when you accepted responsibility?
    Of course i was nervous so i rambled :(
    Just walk in with a smile, be confident and I'm sure you'll get a second interview.

Haven't gotten a callback yet, but I'm anxiously waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Probably any question that had to deal with difficult customers because there are so many stories. Just get your stories straight before walking in. Know which are the good ones and which will show your strengths and not your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

After completing application online, I received a call 3 days later for an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager first. She liked me, so I was called back for a 2nd interview. The 2nd interview was primarily to discuss my holiday availability. He noted that I was related to a current employee and would have to contact his manager to see if I could be hired. I knew then it was a no go. Shortly afterwards, I received a "thank you for your interest, but unfortunately..." e-mail.

Stocking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Put an application on their website. Got called for an interview two days later. Interviewed with the general manager and a department manager. Was about fifteen minutes. Basic retail questions. They then told me I would move onto the next interview. Got a call two days later. Interviewed with the warehouse General manager and was offered the job. Did drug test on-site..and waited for the background check.

Interview Questions
    None. Great offer for the work being done.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS (US)

There were 2 interviews, the first of which I was interviewed by two people. Both of whom were genuine and straight forward. They asked questions about past experiences in retail sales, which I have none and was honest about. They also asked questions to get a sense of how well I deal with interpersonal situations, both positive and negative. The asked for details on my work history and even had a copy of my resume, which was weird to me because it's a stocker job. This made me think they're serious about employee vetting, no matter how large or small the position.

The second interview was with who I assume is the manager of the entire store. She was very direct. Her questions were designed more so to show my own personal work ethic. I answered honestly and openly. She asked how I prepared for the interview. it was not as long as the first and at the end she offered me the job. I passed my drug screen and am now waiting for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest the first interview came sort of unexpectedly and I was completely unprepared. Every question was difficult because I had to choose and recall details of past experiences on the spot. I was just honest and as professional, didn't try to inflate or boast which I fell they sensed which I why I was given the second interview.   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manahawkin, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Manahawkin, NJ (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

It was really fast. Interviewers were very nice and kind. They really liked what I had to say to them to make the process smoother. I hope I get this job!!

I S Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

1. Apply on Taleo's website.
    2. Wait for recruiters to contact you, or else toss your resume in the digital bit bucket in the sky.
    3. Fill out an email self-appraisal of your skills that are pertinent to the job.
    4. Phone screen with hiring manager and one or more SMEs.
    5. In-person interview (or find out that you won't be getting an on-site interview).
    6. Get hired (or not)

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is a strength that would help you stand out from the rest of your team? What have you done to cultivate that strength?   Answer Question

Costco Night Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Pretty straight forward. Asked what times I was available and if I could start immediately. Took 2 days. Drug test and got to work the same day. It was only seasonal. There wasn't any difficult interview questions.

No negotiation