Credit Suisse

2.9

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Credit Suisse in November 2009.

Initial contact with the company was via a recruiter who set up the first interview with the Director of the team.

First interview lasted 2 hours, and questions included the usual "what did you do in your last job", "why did you leave", as well as DCM-specific questions. Shortly after leaving the interview, I received a call from the Director asking to set up another interview the following afternoon to meet the rest of the team (five others in total).

Second interview was to last a couple of hours, however was approximately six hours long, and culminated in having some beers in the boardroom with the team. Primary aim of the process was to meet the other members of the team as well as have the opportunity to ask appropriate questions about team structure and associated specialties.

Everyone who interviewed me were extraordinarily knowledgeable in their specific field, and had no problems in answering any questions. Consequently, I perceived the team to be young and dynamic, with a strong desire to outperform for FY2010. In addition, I felt that I would not only be able to offer my time and skills in pitches and other job responsibilities, but also my opinions about the market, where our priorities should be, as well as how to execute our strategy for 2010.

Very happy with the position I was offered

No negotiation

IBD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

One assessment centre - no telephone interview
    Round 1: 2 competency interviews with VP/Associate. Depending on your background it could be technical or competency. If pass this stage, you go to the next round on the same day
    Round 2: 2 competency and one case study with DIR/MD level. Genuinely just wanted to know you for who you are and your passion outside work.

CS is a different to other US banks I had interviews with. My background is not technical so they only quizzed me on the basics i.e which company is a better buy etc

It was nice to have DIR/MD getting involved in the recruitment process

Interview Questions
    • Why CS, why IBD, what's your story, opinion on the Greek's crisis, oil prices and its impact, it is quite hard to prepare for certain questions!   Answer Question

Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

First interview was at my university. Consisted of one 30 minute interview. 15 minutes were spent talking about the company, 10 minutes was going over my resume, and 5 minutes were for questions. Heard back that night that I made it to final interviews. Went to an optional Q&A and office tour that Friday. Then had my final round interview the next week, which consisted of four 30 minute interviews and another tour after. This interview consisded mainly of going over your resume and asking you basic questions such as biggest challenge, weaknesses and strengths etc. Overall the interviewers were very friendly and happy to answer any questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to be doing 5 years from now. Biggest strength, weakness, and challenge. What do investment banks do. Talk about a time where group work was necessary. A time you failed and what you did to fix it. A time where you had to go against ethics when making a decision.   Answer Question
    No contact negotiation

Analyst Interview

Pure conversation. Why finance? Based mostly on resume. Quick- only about a half hour. Not sure what they were looking for but the interview was half about CS. Intro to the firm. Clearly has a phenomenal and terrific culture.

Spring Insight Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Online application followed by 2x30 telephone interviews. Interviews were pleasant, allowing you to dictate where the interview was heading and was mainly market awareness based. Received offer roughly one week following the interviews.

Banking Operations Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

Had an initial phone screening, very basic. Moved on to an in office interview process that lasted about an hour and a half. Situational questions as well as personality questions. Nothing too difficult if you have any experience in the field.

Equity Research Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Applied via on campus interview program - resume and cover letter submission. Had first round on campus, invited to a super day several days later for the next week at the office, where I had three one on one, half hour interviews with senior analysts. Questions were mostly fit based with some simple technicals. Was asked beforehand to prepare a stock pitch, but did not get asked for it during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Greatest strengths and weaknesses?
      Given EV/EBITDA, EBITDA, and net debt, what is the stock price?
      Given PE multiples, can an acquisition be accretive using 1) all equity 2) debt with certain interest and tax rate.
      An example of a time you worked on a team/were a leader.
      Who is the current secretary of the treasury and who preceded them?
      What is the current ten year rate?

Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Straightforward, Friendly. Given that I already had another pending offer from the same division at a rival bank, they kept the interview straight-forward. Was geared towards making me meet as many people as possible. No technical questions, but if you already have experience there is no point anyways.

Information Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

I received an interview through on campus recruitment after review of my resume. After a successful first interview, I was invited to the company for several interviews within the Technology department. These were very average interviews and I was not asked a single technical question which was highly unusual. The last interviewer merely asked what books I had read recently and then refused to provide his card business card at the end of the interview. It was easy to figure it out based on the other business cards that I was given, so I made sure to email each interviewer a thank you, including this last interviewer. He replied, "You are very analytic, so I am not surprised that you figured out my email. I think you would be better suited in a position that takes advantage of your logical thinking."

My interviewers appeared unfamiliar with my resume when we met up, and then they completely tuned out when they read that I studied mathematics. My resume lists expertise in a plethora of programming languages, but I guess this was not enough to take me seriously. I strongly suggest that you find a way to discuss your programming skill if you do not have a computer science or engineering degree.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

Went in on the day, no telephone interview beforehand, had 2 interviews in the morning, competency based. Anyone who didn't get past these was sent home at lunch. Afternoon was 3 interviews with MDs, two competency one technical. Ended up getting through and doing these last 3 interviews, but fell down on the technical knowledge, make sure you read up beforehand.