Dell

Updated 28 Oct 2014

2.9

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dell in October 2014.

It took a month for initial contact since I submitted my resume and my first interview was arranged. I was interviewed by sales people, not by HR. I was asked about my motivation and whether I think I will be able to perform in this position. Didn't need to know products. The second interview a week later was a role play scenario. Nothing tricky, just a normal working situation - calling back a client who made a request and collecting the scope from him. Only sales people were present. All the people I met were nice, it paid to be yourself and to be enthusiastic about technology.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any really difficult questions, something I didn't expect - what would make your time working for us horrible?   Answer Question

Human Resources Ops Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dell in September 2014.

I submitted my resume through an internal contact, and I was called within a week to arrange a time for an in person, one on one interview at the office in Frenchs Forest (so no phone interview screening). They emailed me all the details I required in advance - address, map, phone numbers, name of the interviewer, how to enter the office.

I arrived on the arranged day and time and was greeted by the interviewer. He had a generic question and answer sheet, but thankfully did not use it other than to jot down notes in the relevant sections - the first question I was able to read on the page was, 'Why do you want to work for Dell?'.

He was an experienced interviewer; and asked more general questions pertaining to my previous experience, knowledge of the role and the company, which gave me more freedom to answer questions without being stilted. Given that I am a recent graduate, he focused more on how my previous experience could relate to required competencies of the offered position, as opposed to the actual technical skills required. Having worked in the position being offered, he had comprehensive knowledge about the job and was able to answer and succinctly explain all the details I required.

A few days after the interview, he called to say they were not continuing with my application, having other candidates with more relevant experience as one reason, also saying that the manager who was offshore would most likely not be able to provide the hand holding I would have required (basically, I was under-qualified for this role). He provided feedback, which was also greatly appreciated.

In terms of culture, Dell in Australia is not considered a 'corporate' culture firm in which everyone wears a suit to work every day. I was overdressed in a black blazer, button down and a skirt - but it does help to make a 'professional' impression. Being a MNC, the interviewer did also say that the position would mean collaborating with people across the Asia-Pacific and Japan region, including India, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia - so time differences would affect how early or late you would start and finish.

Interview Questions
    • Given your previous experience, what skills have you picked up that are most relevant to this job?
      While on exchange overseas, what difficulties did you face while dealing with the local culture?
        View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dell.

Had a bit of a weird experience. The interview was by no means difficult (behavioral questions mostly). But the interviewer was wearing tennis shoes and began to take on a very apathetic tone as soon as he found out I was applying to other firms in addition to Dell. Could very well have been a fluke, but not a great experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group and there was a disagreement.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Dell as a company?   Answer Question

Firmware Interview

The 1st round consisted of question on I2C, SPI protocol. Wrt to C, there were questions on significance of volatile, static keywords. Also there was a program to add and delete a node to linked list. You are asked to execute on pc. Better run in one shot, without warning or error.

Interview Questions
    • Have a very clear understanding of Volatile keyword and cache. You can find the answers on stackoverflow website   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I was asked for technical interviews with two different groups, no HR part involved so far. Applied through university. Interview invitation sent by email. We got a free dinner (dell networking event) the night before interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structure, string manipulation, pointers. Since I learned about these during freshmen year, I pretty much forgot most of these when I was interviewed. I didn't review because I thought first round should be HR, but I was wrong...   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Campus recruitment. 4 rounds. Basic data structures and algorithm questions. Not tough at all.
    3 technical rounds and 1 HR interview round. Mostly a panel observing you carefully and even helping you.

1st technical round had data structure questions.
    2nd round was describing your projects and the design chosen for them and why?
    3rd round again algorithm questions (not too hard)

Interview Questions
    • Developed my own thesis project in college. The toughest part was in explaining in precise and concise manner the entire software design in a relatively short amount of time before the interviewer lost interest   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dell.

I found out about this position through a posting online and was particularly interested in it because it was based in France. The online application was slightly confusing and ended up submitting my application before I actually finished. I tried to reach out to the Montpellier office (which was where I applied) but it was almost invisible. What's worse is that they when I looked up the same position in the USA, the responsibilities were more technical and refined vs the france one which seemed like any jane doe with some computer skills could do.

Dell Response

Oct 29, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your feedback. We are working diligently on improving our job descriptions worldwide. Our objective is to ensure that the responsibilities are clearly understood and an accurate ... More

Voice Process Interview

total 5 rounds, 1 screening 2. jam 3.one situation will be given where interviewee as to imagine and tell story ( for example: if u r flying in sky suddenly your parachute got hole then what you will do ? ) 4. technical round( about hardware parts of computer) 5. Hr round

Interview Questions
    • one situation will be given where interviewee as to imagine   View Answer

Svc IT Dev Program Senior Associate II Interview

Interview process at dell is very good. I found it interesting. Management here is awesome. Hiring process is very much good. Interviewers were very calm, questions were asked starting from the basics to difficult level.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dell.

It was a campus interview. I submitted my application through campus recruiting and was invited to a 30-minute interview a few days later. They did a tag-team interview with two recruiters. They will respond within a few weeks about whether or not I'll have a second email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you did not agree with someone with whom you were working. How did you handle the situation and what were the results?   Answer Question