Dell

Updated 8 Dec 2014

2.9

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dell in October 2014.

It took a month for initial contact since I submitted my resume and my first interview was arranged. I was interviewed by sales people, not by HR. I was asked about my motivation and whether I think I will be able to perform in this position. Didn't need to know products. The second interview a week later was a role play scenario. Nothing tricky, just a normal working situation - calling back a client who made a request and collecting the scope from him. Only sales people were present. All the people I met were nice, it paid to be yourself and to be enthusiastic about technology.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any really difficult questions, something I didn't expect - what would make your time working for us horrible?   Answer Question

Human Resources Ops Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dell in September 2014.

I submitted my resume through an internal contact, and I was called within a week to arrange a time for an in person, one on one interview at the office in Frenchs Forest (so no phone interview screening). They emailed me all the details I required in advance - address, map, phone numbers, name of the interviewer, how to enter the office.

I arrived on the arranged day and time and was greeted by the interviewer. He had a generic question and answer sheet, but thankfully did not use it other than to jot down notes in the relevant sections - the first question I was able to read on the page was, 'Why do you want to work for Dell?'.

He was an experienced interviewer; and asked more general questions pertaining to my previous experience, knowledge of the role and the company, which gave me more freedom to answer questions without being stilted. Given that I am a recent graduate, he focused more on how my previous experience could relate to required competencies of the offered position, as opposed to the actual technical skills required. Having worked in the position being offered, he had comprehensive knowledge about the job and was able to answer and succinctly explain all the details I required.

A few days after the interview, he called to say they were not continuing with my application, having other candidates with more relevant experience as one reason, also saying that the manager who was offshore would most likely not be able to provide the hand holding I would have required (basically, I was under-qualified for this role). He provided feedback, which was also greatly appreciated.

In terms of culture, Dell in Australia is not considered a 'corporate' culture firm in which everyone wears a suit to work every day. I was overdressed in a black blazer, button down and a skirt - but it does help to make a 'professional' impression. Being a MNC, the interviewer did also say that the position would mean collaborating with people across the Asia-Pacific and Japan region, including India, Japan, Singapore and Malaysia - so time differences would affect how early or late you would start and finish.

Interview Questions
    • Given your previous experience, what skills have you picked up that are most relevant to this job?
      While on exchange overseas, what difficulties did you face while dealing with the local culture?

View Answer

Anonymous Interview

Ad Hoc. The company I interviewed with had just been acquired by Dell. There was a discrepancy between their hiring practices versus Dell.
    This will probably not be applicable to Dell today.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but unexpected.... how do transistors work? I could answer that perfectly.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dell.

Interview with 3-4 levels, 1 technical, managerial and HR round.

Technical round was with a 2 member panel of the team., Managerial round along with manager and team lead. HR round was telephonic.

Technical round was easy, Managerial round was more difficult. Overall not so difficult to crack with to the point and brief answers.

No negotiations.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dell.

Campus Recruitment - 2 interviews... technical and HR
    Technical was more on your marketing concepts and everything taught in college. HR was more general kinds. The normal ques like describe urself,strength weakness and all were only asked. it was a nice experience. they will keep u comfortable throughout

Software Development Advisor Interview

Interview process has taken more than a month time.HR then Technical then manager round.Telephonic interview.Question related to work and technical skills.Negotiate well with HR.
    Don't get fooled by variable part.Try to get good fix salary.

Interview Questions
    Don't get fool by variable part.Go more for fixed salary.No onsite so take care of that while negotiating.

MBA Interview

It was a one stage interview with 2 people that lasted about 40 minutes. My experience was covered in great detail. I was asked questions on what kind of working environment I was looking for, what my strengths were, what leadership was to me and given a case question at the end. It was very conversational in style and I made sure to give them good reasons why I wanted to work for them, what I knew about them. I also followed up with substantive questions at the end.

Various Positions In Mid-level Management Interview

Mostly behavioral interviews with one or two managers. Competency-based interviews. Focus on driving for results, leadership abilities, ability to deal with and manage change.
    Hiring managers usually do not have much leeway on salary/benefits negotiations.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dell.

I had an on-campus interview. The interview was not technical - the interviewer was very friendly, asked about my past experiences and strengths/weaknesses. There was only one round of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to be adaptable/flexible given the resources you have.   Answer Question

Dell Response

Nov 17, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

We're thrilled to hear about your positive experience. Congratulations on your offer!

Territory Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dell.

1 gd n 2 interviews
    1 hr and other technical..
    Interviews are simple and behavioral in nature.. simple ways of asking.. basics should be known.. Understand the Dell proposition well ..

I was waitlisted