Dillard's

Updated 16 Nov 2014
Updated 16 Nov 2014

2.1

Executive Development Program, Buyer Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

They interviewed several soon to be graduates at my university. The practice is the face to face interview then another interview at HQ in Little Rock, Arkansas. Its a half a day process and they would pay for it all and one would meet the Buying team. The training program would last several weeks then one would be given a department to management in one the various regions before being able to work in the buying of Headquarters.

Interview Questions
    • One question: Do you mind living in Little Rock, AR. Seeing that I have never been there I was unable to answer the question using prior knowledge but am up to relocation. Thus, I answered "yes."   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dillard's.

They called me the day after I put my resume on Monster. I started three days later. They will promise you alot of things that never come to pass. The interview was very easy. Basic questions, previous experience, work environment, etc.

No negotiation

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Your first interview with initial interview to tell you about the position that you will be interviewing for you get the idea of the job that you will be doing plus the pay and if there's a commission based position how did you get your commission

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe a situation where you had to handle a difficult customer   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation they pretty much throw you out on the floor

Sales Associate - Area Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's.

I submitted my resume on Monster. Within a week I was called in to fill out their application on the computer and to interview. I interviewed with the store manager first, and then the area sales manager that I first worked for. This was at my first store in Florida. After my interviews, I got a call back a week later with the job offer. I started as a Sales Associate and after 3 months, I was promoted to an Area Sales Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty common customer service and sales questions.   Answer Question
    There really was no negotiation. They offered a good hourly rate for my training period. Once I was assigned a department, I was given a raise. When I was promoted, I was put on salary.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dillard's in November 2014.

I sent a cover letter and resume through CL. Got an email from the store manager which included a link to an online, VERY lengthy personality questionnaire and a basic math/skills test. After that, I received a call to come in for an interview. I met with the Sales Manager and then after that, the Asst. Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • It was not a difficult interview at all, it was more like a conversation to see if I would like the position and if I was a good fit. Both managers explained the process of rising up the ranks at Dillards, which seemed pretty reasonable in terms of what's expected from you in order to be promoted, namely sales and ambition and self-motivation.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the rate, I found it to be fair and quite high for retail.

Executive Development Program, Buyer Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dillard's.

First interview was with a member of management. Second interview was a weekend event. They show you around the office and store and there is a meet and greet and then the weekend ends with two additional interviews with management.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

1 interview in the manager's office. Was asked basic interview question, Do you have retail experience. What would our last employer say about you? How many times did you call out on your last job?

Started at minimum. $8hr.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's.

Had an on campus interview for internship. Very easy and relaxed interviewing style. Make sure you know a lot about the company (I didn't and looked kind of unprofessional).

Interview Questions
    • -Favorite brand that Dillard's carries
      -Favorite item in your closet
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dillard's in October 2014.

The process took about three days. I applied online Sunday night, got a call Tuesday morning to schedule an interview. Scheduled it for Wednesday at 1. Got to Dillard's at around 12:40, Walked in, she asked me why Dillard's, a quick question about my old job, and about my availability. Afterwards she had me fill out a background check form, and told me about how all the benefits (six days paid vacation, 401k, etc.). Walked out at 1. Got a call Thursday morning officially offering me the job at $12/hour. I go in Tuesday for training.

Interview Questions
    Didn't bother negotiating. $12/hour is so much higher than anything else entry level down here, and I was so happy to finally have a job that I didn't even try.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's in October 2014.

Went in for an interview and meeting with them at the career expo. Was interviewed by a middle manager who then referred me up to the assistant store manager. After speaking with the assistant store manager and being told that I would have to start from the bottom even though I am a college graduate turned me off from the job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know a lot about the fashion world?   View Answer

Even though I interviewed for an Assistant Store Manager position with great experience and educational background, I was told that I would be required to start as an hourly sales associate and maybe in a few years I could move up to sales manager and then Assistant Store Manager. Apparently, even though I'm more qualified than a high school graduate, I would have to work at the same level as them with no guarantee of promotion since it is based on seniority and "if you are the right fit". Not worth my time as a college graduate with a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Business.