Dillard's

Updated 3 Mar 2015
Updated 3 Mar 2015

2.1

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dillard's.

Quick phone interview followed by in-store interview, be sure to fill out the online application prior to showing up, their computer system at the store is extremely slow. There is a two-part questionnaire that you have to complete as a part of the application that will take about 15-20 minutes

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Dillard's.

Basically I applied online and I have a really close friend that works there so I put her down as an employee reference. About a week later, I got a call from Dillard's and the woman was extremely nice. I go to the interview and I had thought that I got the job because she copied my drivers license and ID and we did the military background check and I filled out a bunch of papers but I still haven't received a call back. She told me to call her in a week if I didn't hear from her so I did and she said she was waiting for the sales managers to give her open positions.It's been two weeks. Not even a call to tell me that I didn't get the job, I even emailed her and she didn't respond.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dillard's.

I submitted an application and it took about two weeks before I was contacted. I met with one of the hiring managers who proceeded to ask me general interview questions and "if I were in this situation what would I do" type of questions. Then I was called back for a second interview with the general manager who ask me why I wanted to work there and they said they would give me a call if I got the job after the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how you handled a situation where the customer was unhappy.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

You fill out a questionnaire on a computer. If you pass that part and they are interested in you, you will get a call within a few days and, you will meet with the store manager. The store manager will want to know which area of the store you think you might be interested to work in.

Interview Questions
    • The initial questionnaire portion of the interview seemed directed towards a very below average, high school mentality. Nothing difficult about it.   Answer Question
    If you are placed in a commissioned area, keep your hourly rate at the lowest possible amount. That way if the store is very slow, like in the summer, you won't get fired because you didn't sell enough to cover your draw.

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dillard's.

Meet with Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager in a one on one setting within the store. Given a tour of the store. Introduced to the Manager you will be working with and then asked some questions by them as well.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Cosmetics/Fragrance Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

A friend referred me to Dillard's. I applied online December 27, 2013. I received a phone call for interview on January 2, 2015. I interviewed on January 5, 2015 with Cosmetics manager and Fragrance manager.

She suggest I start on fragrance department since it had been several years that I worked in cosmetics. She also aid Dillard start new hirers part-time. I was told if I meet or exceed my sales goals, I would be offered a position in cosmetics.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what was my sale numbers in cosmetics at a previous employer? This was difficult because I could not remember my numbers at all. She also ask if I can hustle? They want to know that you are aggressive and can meet your sale goals.   View Answer

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

The process was fairly easy since I had already been working as a part time sales clerk.
    I interviewed with the area manager at the time and as well as the store manager for the position over the men's area. So it was a within the company advancement opportunity. The process went smoothly and my training began immediately.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's in January 2015.

I applied by checking the Dillards website for openings in my area. Application process was easy and they called me the next day. The interviewer asked me a lot of questions about my customer service background and how the job works. Dress like you work there is my strongest advice. You want to make a good first impression. She immediately scheduled me for my second interview. For the second interview, I talked to the store manager. He asked me the same questions and told me what Dillards expects from its workers, etc. He made a note of my outfit being what they like to see. So, again, DRESS THE PART. They're really looking for people who are natural conversationalists and are custome-focused. So make sure you turn up the charm. He told me what my pay and hours would be and that they're going to schedule me for training the next week. So it'll take you two interviews but as long as you reach the second interview, you should be golden. Second interview felt like more of a formality and going over your previous answers to make sure you're the one they want.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation was pretty straightforward and they like to treat their employees very well. So the pay rate was at the top end of my expectations.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's in January 2015.

3 interviews. Second was over the phone with Estée Lauder since I would be working for Origins owned by Estée Lauder. That was the most difficult interview. Deep questions that required thought you had to answer on the spot basically.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years   View Answer
    Very little negotiation about .50 cents an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

They ask you to sit and fill out the job application on the spot. Then an assistant manager will interview you. If you pass that interview, someone else will interview you and then you will have to take a personality test and pass it, and then you're hired. It's always good to be prepared when you come to apply. Dress appropriately .

Interview Questions
    I took what they offered.