Dollar Tree

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

CORE Merchandising Trainee Program Interview

Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. 48 hours later I had the phone interview. I was told i'd be contacted within a few days to know the status of the phone call. 2 hours later I received an email about scheduling an on site interview.

Interview Question – The competency based questions really made you think. They were a little different then your normal behavioral "tell me about a time when.. " questions. Come prepared   Answer Question

District Manager In Training Interview

Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2012.

Interview Details The initial interview was on-site at Big East career Fair. The company recruits in the spring at large conference career fairs and around the VA area. After completing the on-site interview with a Regional Director, I was passed on to corporate. I was invited over the phone to an all day event at the corporate headquarters in Chesapeake, VA.

The corporate interview was broken down into three parts. First, the head of college recruiting the night of arrival held a group dinner. The first half of the interview day consisted of multiple information sessions. It consisted of job overview, salary and benefit calculations, and tour of the distribution center. The second half of the day consisted of interviews with all levels of HR. A total of 5 interviews were completed.

I received a call a week later, then an official offer within two weeks.

The corporate environment was business casual. I was impressed that even the CEO was eating in the cafeteria where we had our group lunch. Our group was greeted by almost everyone we walked past.

Interview Question – Give an example of a product/ invention that would enhance the retail environment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. There was little to no increase after negotiation.

Logistics Analyst Interview

Logistics Analyst
Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in April 2011.

Interview Details The recruiter was extremely disorganized. It was had to get her to reply to my emails when she was gathering information from me about my experience, salary, references, etc.
I think the process would have been faster if the recruiter was not involved and the hiring manager was in charge. The interviews themselves were standard but several people interviewed me and they all seemed to ask the same general questions, what were my strengths and what were my weaknesses, basic interview 101 course questions. They were very helpful in describing the position.

Interview Questions

• What would your current employeer tell me about you?   Answer Question
  • Can you tell me about a time when you had to resolve a conflict with another employee?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not feel like I could negotiate the pay or benefits, other than my actual start date.

Merchandising Interview

Chesapeake, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dollar Tree in March 2010.

Interview Details The interview process seemed similar to most other corporate retailers, beginning with 2 lengthy phone interviews and leading to 2 on site one on one interviews. Each of the on site interviews I met with 4 upper management associates. One aspect that did strike me as odd after coming from another corporate retail office, I was surprised how unorthodox the one on one interviews were as a couple of the interviewers didnt even ask much about myself or exact experiences in my past where I used certain skills. But overall everyone was very friendly.

Interview Question – What are your questions about me or the company? (only question asked by one interviewer so basically I lead the interview)   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree interview questions and advice in Chesapeake, VA. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees and interview candidates.